#241 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 08 September 2014 - 09:01 PM

View PostSarlic, on 08 September 2014 - 08:23 PM, said:

First of all: Congratulations. That's some news i want to hear. That's communication what i want to see. Short and the truth.

With cutting off the publisher you have made a good decision here. That's one step in regaining my trust again.

The only thing i am wondering: how heavy was the pressure-cooker from the Publisher? And did they set unrealistic goals? More importantly: do you expect to improve your development cycle?

You only have to say yes or no.

To be fair, they HAVE improved their development cycle remarkably over the last couple months.

#242 Conan Librarian

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • LocationCimmeria

Posted 08 September 2014 - 09:16 PM

Posted Image

#243 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 09:30 PM

View PostGroovy4life, on 08 September 2014 - 09:16 PM, said:

Posted Image

/thread. Seriously, that needs to be the new splash screen when the game loads for the next month while we wait for CW.

#244 soulfire

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 320 posts
  • Locationhere

Posted 08 September 2014 - 09:58 PM

This is good News. Many won't know what this is all about but I do. Many of us thought it was a bad sign when you guys joined them but I figure at the time it was something promising. Looking back though I think we all have had our suspicions that it wasn't working.Esp when looking at those other two games that PGI had a hand in. Now that you have those shackles off I hope you'll be able to remember how to stand on your own again and get walking. You have a lot of **** to get done. We in the mech community have some high standards and I think huge expectations. A great many of us have stuck with you but we are getting tired. Example; there is no where near enough maps, If this game is suppose to be on hundreds or more planets in a large chunk of space how are 8-10 maps going to make it feel real. There are talented people in the community that could help if you made some kind of mapping program we could use to create maps. Or you may have to do what other gaming places do. Create a very large map and set it up so that various areas can be blocked off or added in so you can get multiple maps out of one large one. I personally wish you would have gone the star citizen route and had us have player character's. I'd love to have my character in a drop ships ready room as we get our assignments for the coming drop. I know there are people out there that would love to be drop ship pilot. I would love to walk down to the mech bay in the drop ship or on planet and walk up to my mech. Take elevator up to the head and climb into the mech, close the hatch, and start it up.Have the ramp that the npc mech techs use to repair the mech. move away. I then walk the mech out of the mech bay, out into whatever world we end up on. I have a feeling we will never get that. I don't think I will happen in my life time. I figure this will probably be it as far as mech warrior, battletech world will go. Basically a first person robot shooter. Quake in robots.Still part of me hopes you guys follow starcitizen way. To make an immersive experience. Down the road have player char. You have the headless ones running every mech.anyway. I see all these people wanting rooms, I'd like a room to but not some goofy room with set of names where you can bullshit with your team or whatever. I want a room in a dropship with my fellow teammates sitting there in their chair and we re listening to our leader inform us of the mission as the drops ship burns toward some planet. We all walk down after the briefing and get into our mechs. As soon as the ship touches down we are out and onto whatever job we are doing.
I hope getting back on your own means better and bigger in game things, and not better cars and vacations for those in the top tier. Good luck

#245 Rancidmatt

Rookie

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 10:08 PM

Excellent! Here's to hoping that development gets back on track (as in, what was going on.. two years ago?) please make use of community made maps, the quality is sometimes just as high as or higher than that of studio-made maps.

#246 MasterBLB

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationWarsaw,Poland

Posted 08 September 2014 - 10:17 PM

Thanks the Lord...
I'm a programmer myself,and know too well what thorn in arse a publisher with all its demands and interfering design/developing process can be.

But Mr Russ be warned,from now,since all decisions are yours alone - you have no excuses to finally not starting making things right ;]

But anyway,congratulations on that successful deal,I do hope it'll allow you and the team to work undisturbed and deliver the content players are waiting for.

Edited by MasterBLB, 08 September 2014 - 10:23 PM.

#247 NextGame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,071 posts
  • LocationHaggis Country

Posted 08 September 2014 - 10:23 PM

Congrats, good news, lets see how you do as a company now that you have more room to stretch your legs.

#248 Mike Forst

Postmaster General

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 577 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 08 September 2014 - 10:37 PM

View PostLCCX, on 08 September 2014 - 05:19 PM, said:

That is really interesting. Thanks for informing us. Could you tell the community/me what hosting you went with (e.g. literal on-premises, AWS, Google Compute)? Would you say that your current hosting for MW:O feels like "exactly what the DevOps wanted" vs. "could be better"?

Unfortunately I can't comment on the exact location and design of the new datacenter but I can say that it is not hosted on-premises.

#249 Zerandir

• PipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 28 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 10:38 PM

Good to hear good news, congratulations to everyone in PGI :)

#250 Cavendish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 410 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 08 September 2014 - 10:49 PM

As others have stated, this is a good thing but you are now held responsible for everything that will happen with the game (and I guess this is why the moderation changes were posted a few days ago?).

At least its one less royalty you will have to pay for each sale :)

Now bring on positive changes!

#251 Frost Lord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 419 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 11:18 PM

View PostIcould, on 08 September 2014 - 01:30 PM, said:

Why hasn't the game seem any improvement over the last month if you've been operating under the new model already? Typically, when you cut some inefficiency out of a process you see immediate improvements. Here, it's just business as usual. No better, no worse... Just the same.

to be fair they probably need time to reassess where they are what changes are needed and what they can realistically do. bolting right off the mark would probably leave them open to more of the dramas we have seen, just give it a bit of time.

#252 Steinar Bergstol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,622 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 08 September 2014 - 11:21 PM

View PostDracol, on 08 September 2014 - 01:19 PM, said:

Now that you cut ties from IGP, any chance could you explain what effect they had on the development of MW:O?
The lack luster Clan hype and zero in game hub bub when they arrived comes to mind as a sacrifice to lay at the feet of IGP.

2 years ago when projected dates were being released then failed, was IGP the ones calling for set dates for certain features?

How much say did they have on the actual game play of MW:O? Did they call for 3PV?

I wouldn't expect them to be able to answer this. Any answers which could be construed as "badmouthing" a former businesspartner is generally not something you will see any company do for obvious reasons. It's a bad idea and, at the very best, would be seen as highly unprofessional. That's why we always see the same lines about "having had a good, productive collaboration", "wishing eachother well in future endavours" and so on and so forth from either side of a business breakup, no matter what company issues the statement.

I'd expect PGI's legal department to have a massive simultaneous heart attack if Russ or Bryan said anything of the sort. It'd just be begging for IGP to take legal action I imagine.

#253 ryoma

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 08 September 2014 - 11:36 PM

I haven't played since about a month before Clan mechs came into the game.

What should I expect if I reinstall this game?

#254 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 11:57 PM

View Postryoma, on 08 September 2014 - 11:36 PM, said:

I haven't played since about a month before Clan mechs came into the game.

What should I expect if I reinstall this game?

People on the forums trying to tell you what you should and shouldn't enjoy or feel about stuff because getting you to agree with them makes them feel validated.

What should you expect? A lot more variety than you were used to. A lot of weapon balance changes. You can level up the Cute Fox and Nova or the Vindicator. Also SRMs are pretty bitchin' if you like to brawl.

A lot of stuff. Dunno if you'll like it or not. Then again.... free spends anytime.

#255 ice trey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts
  • LocationFukushima, Japan

Posted 09 September 2014 - 12:42 AM

I sit, I watch, I wait.

If it turns out the whole reason why MWO has been going down the crapper since summer 2013 and has got nothing done is because of IGP influence, thereby meaning that PGI starts giving us the game we expected to get at least one year ago or earlier, then I open my wallet for the company, again.

When I start seeing constant, significant efforts put towards content that can't be "Monetized", proving that PGI are looking at the big picture and want to make up for the negative perceptions they earned themselves... When this game caters not just to the supercompetitive but to... you know... people who are fans of the setting, that's when I'll be satisfied.

One way to make money is to milk us for all we're worth and release the minimum viable content, but the other way is to... you know... make the game genuinely good so that we WANT to pay and support it by word of mouth. That longer term strategy is bound to make a lot more money in the long run.

Edited by ice trey, 09 September 2014 - 12:45 AM.

#256 ryoma

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 09 September 2014 - 01:17 AM

Ahh so the last few months were more of the same. Sad.

Hope this move fixes the company. Maybe I'll check in another few months.

#257 DrecS

Rookie

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 01:21 AM

Is this the reason why you removed certain payment options previously available? If it is, please do find a way to bring them back because i foresee a lot of people, including me, not being able/wanting to buy MCs anymore.

Edited by Tadaka I, 09 September 2014 - 01:22 AM.

#258 PhoenixFire55

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 09 September 2014 - 01:32 AM

View PostPyrrho, on 08 September 2014 - 01:20 PM, said:

Finally, the Left Hand and the Right Hand are of the same body!

Now if only head was in place ...

#259 Cataclysm315

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 217 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 09 September 2014 - 01:37 AM

Fantastic! Glad to hear Piranha has the rights again. I expect to see great things from this game! :D

#260 JohnyBlack

• PipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 42 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 01:49 AM

Good news. Happy for you guys.

12 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 12 guests, 0 anonymous users