Now That The Devs Are Actually Back On The Forums....can We Please Revisit Jjs?

90 replies to this topic

#81 Postumus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 399 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 24 September 2014 - 07:20 PM

View PostHatachi, on 24 September 2014 - 04:52 PM, said:

I really like those jump jets in Living Legends. A hard 90 degree forward push keeps them from being used from pop tarting and makes them an excellent mobility tool. Imagine how different a Summoner would as a choice if it could bounce around the environment like that. I've always thought that jump jets should primarily be used for positioning and brawler mobility, although I might be in a minority in that opinion.

Being able to rapidly reposition and move across terrain with jumpjets would a wonderful way to balance between close and long range combat. If light/medium brawlers were able to use jumpjets to quickly engage, especially across terrain obstacles, it would really change the dynamics of combat in a big way, and it would especially give mediums with jumpjets their own niche which is currently lacking.

The problem of poptarting with powerful, high-acceleration jumpjets could be dealt with by adding significant forward thrust even when only holding down jump.

#82 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 09:22 PM

That wasn't due to mobility, but due to jump sniping. Just add reticle sway (not shake) on the descent, and you fix that.

Well hill climbing has to be fixed too. It shouldnt be as stupid to walk up hills.

#83 Lefty Lucy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,924 posts
  • LocationFree Tikonov Republic

Posted 24 September 2014 - 10:15 PM

View Postmindwarp, on 24 September 2014 - 07:03 PM, said:

Tabletop JJ gave you 30m forward or one 60 degree turn with a maximum height of 6m per jump jet.

People shouldn't quote TT rules when they're wrong. JJ allowed 30m of movement in any direction per jet, with up to 6m of elevation per jet, and the mech could face in any direction they wanted upon landing. They made you harder to hit (normal movement mod, +1 for jumping), and they pretty much wrecked your accuracy with a +3 mod.

#84 Icewraith

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 76 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 11:20 PM

Please please please improve jets. Right now in a light mech with six jets, unless I plan a jump well, WELL in advance, I scale cliffs by running at them, jumping (from what seems like a reasonable distance to jet up a cliff), hitting them about two meters above the ground, and slowly hover-dragging the rest of the way up, all the while hoping my fuel doesn't give out so I don't have to do it again.

I used to have to feather the jets a bit before hitting the ground to avoid taking leg damage. Now I take leg damage if I'm not firing them continuously for the whole distance if I simply drop off a building or cliff. I can understand the vertical takeoff being feeble if a mech is only packing one jet, but even at five or six it's incredibly weak. (It's often difficult to tell the difference in descent speeds in a mech with and without jets dropping from the same point.) Heavies and assaults pay more tonnage for jets, so if they're not as nimble then they should have superior flight time per jet compared to lighter designs so they can at least get where they're trying to go.

A Summoner or Highlander should not take multiple tries just to get all the way up a cliff less than twice the mech's height.

#85 Saint Scarlett Johan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 3,349 posts
  • LocationOn the Delta side of Vicksburg

Posted 24 September 2014 - 11:55 PM

I just don't understand why JJs weren't made more aggressive. Have a spooling period (lights of like 0.1 seconds scaled by tonnage up to the assaults having 0.5 seconds) and at the end of the spooling where the jets build enough pressure, have them forcibly lauch the mech into the air very violently. And with that, they are sent skywards (and quite out as well).

Hell, even keep reticule shake all the way through somewhat. It'd keep poptarting to a minimum and stop that bunny hopping garbage that Timberwolves and Victors can abuse.

Almost anything is better than what we have now.

#86 MercJ

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Galaxy Commander III
  • Galaxy Commander III
  • 184 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 05:44 AM

Just adding to keep this thread alive. Jump jets need to be redone, and there's really good ideas in here that would solve the issues we've had with them in MWO. I really feel that JJ more in line with the MWLL model would really enhance gameplay.

#87 Andross Deverow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 458 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 06:00 AM

View PostCreovex, on 24 September 2014 - 02:11 PM, said:

YODA????

Control your fear... Be one with the force and you shall soar with the eagles young padawan. :ph34r: ...

RUSS!!! PLEASE WEIGH IN ON THIS!!!!

Regards

Edited by Andross Deverow, 25 September 2014 - 06:00 AM.

#88 Jetfire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,746 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted 25 September 2014 - 06:54 AM

Personally JJ's seem useful and pretty balanced. I can jump up buildings and cross gaps, but you have to run full JJ's and learn what the mech can do.

#89 VtTimber

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 07:03 AM

I don't think JJs are where they should be, even with a full set. These things should provide real mobility advantages rather than what they do now.

To make that happen they need to be hard locked to a full set. All or nothing, then balance.

#90 Maggiman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 26 September 2014 - 03:33 AM

This thread shows how hard it is, to balance jjs. So many different opinions on how to do it.
One solution stinks however. You can't just buff jjs and make poptarting impossible(Which would be easy to do). I mean I don't like it much, but apart from being too powerfull there is no other reason to disable it other than people not liking the gameplay.

What's next? Remove Hills? Because I don't like Hillhumping.
Or what about Lrms. There are people who don't like them...

Whatever the solution is, it needs to keep poptarting intact. Just with the right amount if drawbacks.

#91 Angel of Annihilation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 04:47 AM

Here is all I want.

Focus on vertical height - I want to jump over or on top of things.

The rest is optional.

I don't mind slow acceleration because I don't use JJs for poptarting or jump sniping. Make it so Heavy and Assaults jump UP very slow so if they poptart, the face lots of exposure and return fire.

I don't mine slow recharge of jets. Make it so that one you use them, it takes a good 30 seconds for them to recharge. This way you avoid bouncing betty hoping all over the map.

So let me reiterate what I want. I want to be able to jump UP over a building, not face plant into it. I want to be able to jump UP to the top of a canyon wall, without face planting into it. I want to be able to jump UP over a mech that is blocking a choke point do I can disrupt the enemies strong defense. I want to be able to jump UP over a ridgeline to strike the enemy from an unexpected angle. To summarize, I want to be able to jump UP.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users