164 replies to this topic

#1 Team Chevy86

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationDue North

Posted 24 September 2014 - 03:52 AM

I feel I get killed/crippled by the DW dual guass and PPC more than anything else. Some of them have 3 guass for christs sake...
The problem is they have no fear. Step out, pinpoint +50 damage and wreck pretty well anything under 80 tons. NO penalty. I can't count how many times... By the time I step out of cover, see that it's a DW, and backpedal, BLAM!!!!, torso/arm/leg gone. 600m, 200m, whatever. Frustrating.

Edited by Team Chevy86, 24 September 2014 - 03:53 AM.

#2 Lemming211

• PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationDetroit

Posted 24 September 2014 - 03:56 AM

In contrast, I helped kill a Dire Wolf in my Spider yesterday. Used TAG and ran circles around the thing, poking with my large laser until it was as dead as the rest of it's team.

My suggestion is, if your tactics aren't working, change them.

#3 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 24 September 2014 - 04:00 AM

- today the Dire Wolf - when the Adder is available for C-Bills its the Adder - can't wait till the Mad Cat is available for C-Bills....then what - TimberWolf Online?

No of course not - i don't fear the whale - its slow its cumbersome - but when you walk in its sight - its okay when you go down in flames - because this beast has 50% weapons - you can rage against gauss and ppc - or Ultra 5s - or what ever - this beast still have dozens of weapon combinations. no need for nerf

#4 TexAce

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,861 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 24 September 2014 - 04:04 AM

Take something fast (I tend to use my Kintaro with 4MPLs, 3Streaks) and run circles around them with 113km/h shooting their side torsos while they rage-quit. :D

Edited by TexAss, 24 September 2014 - 04:04 AM.

#5 Angel of Annihilation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

I finally got my Dire Wolf and the first thing that crossed my mind was how appalled I was at its inability to twist its torso and engage targets outside a very narrow forward firing arc. The second thing was how appalled I was at its inability to stop or change directions. The third thing was how appalled I was at being unable to deal with virtually any mech faster than 70 kph once they got up close and started circling me. The fourth things was how appalled I was that I was completely at the mercy of my teammates actually supporting me and just how vulnerable I was without the support. The fifth thing was HOW FRICKEN MUCH FIREPOWER I HAD WHEN I ACTUALLY COULD LINE UP AN ENEMY IN MY SIGHTS.

The point is, yeah your right, it has an amazing amount of firepower but there is very much a balance going on with this mechs. They do actually pay in spades for all that firepower.

#6 X O

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 52 posts
  • LocationGermany

I run Dire Wolfs for a few months.
I think you need to know the weak points of these big ********.

1. They are slow, very slow! Don't try to run about the battlefield without knowing where youre enemy will walk. Dire Wolfs likes to run in small areas where there can't be flanked (liked caves where you need to attack them in front). So if you keep moving the Dire Wolf needs to follow the front line and this will take forever.

2. They got BIG sid torsos und and little arms. They can't protect there side torso like an atlas. Keep fire on one side, They will lose allmost the half or more of its firepower and can't split damage to there arms like other mechs.

3. From Point 1, the lack of speed makes them vunable for fast mechs at the beginning of the matches. Just take a look at the enemy position at the start of the game, you will find the Dire Wolf far away at the end of the team, most time allone without any protection. A easy kill for two lights like Firestarters / Jenners.

I hope this will help you to survive the next PUGs :).

Edited by Ulkesh, 24 September 2014 - 04:05 AM.

#7 Nauht

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 04:05 AM

Show me on the doll where the bad wolf touched you.

Posted Image

#8 kapusta11

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,854 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 04:09 AM

Direwolves released for cbills, figures.

#9 SgtMagor

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 04:09 AM

yea, DW is the Omni mech of destruction. get used to eating dirt if your not careful :)

#10 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 24 September 2014 - 04:10 AM

Don't fear the Whale, shoot the whale.

The WubShee fears no Whale; it just Wubs them.

#11 Team Chevy86

• The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationDue North

Posted 24 September 2014 - 04:11 AM

The game already feels like X Wolf online... I can't wait until the day the TImber goes on sale for c-bills. That will be a sad day for IS.

Edited by Team Chevy86, 24 September 2014 - 04:12 AM.

#12 Ghogiel

• CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 04:15 AM

You are right, it is a joke. contrary to popular belief they quite vulnerable because real team play is often next to atrocious in PUGs.

#13 Team Chevy86

• The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationDue North

Posted 24 September 2014 - 04:17 AM

Believe me, I feel like a boss when I hop in one of my medium or lights, run circles around it, dart in and out of cover and melt a torso or leg. But if the guy has any idea how to lead a shot, you're ******.

#14 Piney II

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 04:18 AM

View PostViktor Drake, on 24 September 2014 - 04:04 AM, said:

I finally got my Dire Wolf and the first thing that crossed my mind was how appalled I was at its inability to twist its torso and engage targets outside a very narrow forward firing arc. The second thing was how appalled I was at its inability to stop or change directions. The third thing was how appalled I was at being unable to deal with virtually any mech faster than 70 kph once they got up close and started circling me. The fourth things was how appalled I was that I was completely at the mercy of my teammates actually supporting me and just how vulnerable I was without the support. The fifth thing was HOW FRICKEN MUCH FIREPOWER I HAD WHEN I ACTUALLY COULD LINE UP AN ENEMY IN MY SIGHTS.

The point is, yeah your right, it has an amazing amount of firepower but there is very much a balance going on with this mechs. They do actually pay in spades for all that firepower.

Agreed. Just getting the whale into a good fighting position intact is a small victory.

Once there, it's fun to activate the death blossom. :D

#15 Scurry

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 375 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 04:21 AM

Remember, 3 Gauss can't be fired simultaneously anymore - so be glad that your opponent is wasting tonnage on that extra Gauss.

#16 Asyres

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 04:24 AM

So what you're saying is that when you face a Direwolf in a situation that plays to all of it's strengths and none of it's weaknesses, it goes badly for you? Don't play peakaboo with Direwolves. They have the most firepower of anything - they will win.

#17 Brizna

• Liquid Metal
  • 1,360 posts
  • LocationCatalonia

Posted 24 September 2014 - 04:24 AM

So I caugh a Direwolf in my commando today, poor fellow had been left behind by his mates in Alpine Peaks, like u know a mile away, I needed a little while to dispose of him and move on after having received 0 damage from the 50 tons worth of weapons he had, and you know what? I'm not a great player, I just stayed at his back becuase there was nothing he could do to aim his weapons at me.

Direwolves are a one trick monkey so they better do it well, else they'd suck.

Edited by Brizna, 24 September 2014 - 04:26 AM.

#18 5ardaukar

• PipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 68 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 04:28 AM

Yeah. Basically what people have already said. Trying to do a stand up fight with a direwolf trading blows is a death sentence. It is designed specifically for that, kind of like the banshee. I can't think of any mechs that can go toe to toe with a well set up dire wolf or banshee in a straight up slug fest.

They're weak in the legs and rear armor. If you're in anything other than an atlas, banshee, war hawk or another dire wolf, taking on a dire wolf from the front is not the way to do it.

I find people tend to leave their rear armor and legs very lightly armored. A legged direwolf is an LRM magnet.

#19 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 24 September 2014 - 04:28 AM

I got to watch an Atlas DDC go toe to toe with a DWF the other day. It was spectacular and the Atlas won out.

DWF is a beast no doubt, but it has some serious drawbacks (all the maneuverability of a supertanker for one).

#20 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 24 September 2014 - 04:29 AM

You could say "Just avoid the Dire Wolf in areas where it has a clear advantage". But the problem is, it's one of the few mechs that can punish enemy players with almost instant death if they make a wrong turn.
"Let me just see if there's anyone in this tunnel. Oh sh-" DEATH
It's a low risk, high reward mech. As long as you're near your team, you're fine. And while DW pilots often complain that they get left behind, as a light mech pilot, I would have to say that it's fairly rare to see a DW without support. It's nice when it happens, but it's a fairly rare sight.

The Dire Wolf consistently gets top score and very often does 1000+ dmg in PUG games. And I've got news for you, it's not because only l33t players have the Dire Wolf.

View PostLemming211, on 24 September 2014 - 03:56 AM, said:

In contrast, I helped kill a Dire Wolf in my Spider yesterday. Used TAG and ran circles around the thing, poking with my large laser until it was as dead as the rest of it's team.
My suggestion is, if your tactics aren't working, change them.

My suggestion is, try not to exaggerate the significance of episodes like that. Every mech in the game is piloted by bad players. Just because some dude in a Locust once took out a Timber Wolf because someone let their 5-year-old sit on their lap and play a game, doesn't mean everything is working as intended.

Anecdotal evidence is fairly worthless.

Edited by Alistair Winter, 24 September 2014 - 04:33 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users