67 replies to this topic

#21 Pezzer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 616 posts
  • LocationBristol, Tennessee

Posted 04 November 2014 - 10:03 AM

I see lots of potential in the Mist Lynx, actually. I've been trying to play the Commando with some good and some bad matches, but what I've found is that my slowest Commando has the best average damage per match. 2ML, 1LL, 1SRM2 performs very well, so right now I'm imagine the Mist Lynx as a slightly slower version of that Commando with even more firepower (or optionally JJs).

Seems like it'll come out of the starting gate just fine, we'll see a number of snipey builds and a number of hit and run builds. It will be a very versatile mech for its' size, but it probably won't be particularly good at any 1 job.

#22 Lysander Voidrunner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 505 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 11:01 AM

Any of you ever considered that trying to put lipstick on a pig and expecting it to act like a lady is a failing enterprise?

People consider that because they are lights they have to play exactly like IS lights. That is moving in packs for scouting and precision short range strikes at vulnerable enemies. Clearly you misunderstand that clan lights are long range support mechs better employed whilst paired with heavier units. In general clan lights have the firepower of a IS medium and more long range damage abilities. They are meant to augment the firepower of a lance and not act independently. The kitfox doesn't need the super speed because it is meant (although not always used) as a support mech, not a scout or a brawler. Thus the lack if speed and the crazy AMS and ECM package.

There are differences between IS and clan speeds because they are meant to do different things. If one accepts that and embraces the role clan lights are designes to execute, one then notices that they have to go from the hunter killer mindset to that of a cog in a deadly and well oiled machine's gears.

On the other hand, trying to use clan lights to fit IS light roles is at best going to have mediocre results. The opposite is also true.

#23 FrostyTO

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 12:48 AM

View PostLysander Voidrunner, on 04 November 2014 - 11:01 AM, said:

Any of you ever considered that trying to put lipstick on a pig and expecting it to act like a lady is a failing enterprise?

People consider that because they are lights they have to play exactly like IS lights. That is moving in packs for scouting and precision short range strikes at vulnerable enemies. Clearly you misunderstand that clan lights are long range support mechs better employed whilst paired with heavier units. In general clan lights have the firepower of a IS medium and more long range damage abilities. They are meant to augment the firepower of a lance and not act independently. The kitfox doesn't need the super speed because it is meant (although not always used) as a support mech, not a scout or a brawler. Thus the lack if speed and the crazy AMS and ECM package.

There are differences between IS and clan speeds because they are meant to do different things. If one accepts that and embraces the role clan lights are designes to execute, one then notices that they have to go from the hunter killer mindset to that of a cog in a deadly and well oiled machine's gears.

On the other hand, trying to use clan lights to fit IS light roles is at best going to have mediocre results. The opposite is also true.

And you'd be 100% correct if we were talking about the Adder or Kit Fox, but the Mist Lynx is a completely different mech. 6-6.5 tons of podspace (5-5.5 with ECM) isn't going to support anything. And why bother with the ECM variant when the Kit Fox is only 17 kph slower and can actually carry weapons?

The Mist Lynx is just a slow Commando with JJs. You can do whatever mental gymnastics you like to convince yourself it will be viable, but there's no realistic scenario where this thing is anything other than DOA. I wish they'd just cancel it and give the people who spent money on their clan pack a REAL mech... But that's just me.

Edited by FrostyTO, 07 November 2014 - 01:01 AM.

#24 Apocryph0n

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Clan Exemplar
  • Clan Exemplar
  • 325 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 02:03 AM

It's funny how there is people going: BUT IT WILL DIE TO A JENNER. It's bad blablabla.

Maaaaybe it is not desinged to 1v1 Lights in terrible Pug matches but to support a team in CW or 12v12s where it does not matter how epic your Light is in a 1v1 that ain't gonna happen in a proper match with proper players :D

Following your logic the Hellbringer will be a pile of junk bc it will have a hard time outbrawling a Timber Wolf. Or the DireWolf is **** bc a Jenner can 1v1 it as well, as it is too slow.

MWO is not about Pugs and not every mech has to be one that is viable to "duel" others.

Edit: Also if you want a "duel" blabla mech, the Ice Ferret is where it's at for me right now when it comes to killing lights in Pugs.

Edited by Camper101, 07 November 2014 - 02:06 AM.

#25 Knight Phaeton

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 39 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 04:22 AM

Maybe with SSRMs Myst Lynx can go 1v1 vs Lights? It has Clan Active Probe anyway, so it suggest us to use streaks.

Edited by Knight Phaeton, 07 November 2014 - 04:23 AM.

#26 -Skyrider-

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 157 posts
  • Locationall about that Seattle life

Posted 09 November 2014 - 12:38 AM

Two things,
Fire falcon and Arctic cheetah.

Case closed

#27 Kain Demos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 17 November 2014 - 03:00 PM

While the Mist Lynx doesn't excite me and I will probably never use it (or the Ice Ferret--I just bought the package to get the Mad Dog, Hellbringer, and Gargoyle) I don't understand the "clan lights are useless" rhetoric.

Adder Prime is certainly underwhelming (compared to what I expceted from previous games) which I blame on the sad state of Clan PPCs in this game.

However there are builds available for it that perform very well like the Spladder. I don't use it, but I consistently score high damage with a Gauss build and 2 x CLPL/2 x CERML build.

#28 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 17 November 2014 - 03:46 PM

View PostKain Thul, on 17 November 2014 - 03:00 PM, said:

While the Mist Lynx doesn't excite me and I will probably never use it (or the Ice Ferret--I just bought the package to get the Mad Dog, Hellbringer, and Gargoyle) I don't understand the "clan lights are useless" rhetoric.

Adder Prime is certainly underwhelming (compared to what I expceted from previous games) which I blame on the sad state of Clan PPCs in this game.

However there are builds available for it that perform very well like the Spladder. I don't use it, but I consistently score high damage with a Gauss build and 2 x CLPL/2 x CERML build.

I personally think it's on par with kitfox.

Both have the same podspace but the adder is at an advantage of not only having more armour then the kitfox but also some tonnage already spent there as well as a flamer (minor advantage but this thing is actually kinda useful.)

It can do most builds a kitfox can do and more and can be a better LRM boat, SRM boat and ranged energy mech or possibly a ballistic.

While the kitfox advantages stem from the ECM, 3 AMS, jumpjets, extra speed, etc.

Both are reasonably different things. You got the adder with more firepower and armour and then you got the kitfox with mobility and speed.

I personally do not have the adder yet but I did use it quite a bit in previous games as well as got friends in MW: O who have it and the kitfox. Also I played it a bit on a test server earlier.

I quite enjoyed it.

I hope the clans get a similar quirk treatment IS mechs... because lets be honest some mechs are a bit on the sad side and we also need diversity between configurations. (Config is correct term for omni mech, variant isn't). Say the CT of bla bla bla this gives extra energy range, bla bla bla that gives more energy firerate, bla bla bla this gives more missile and ppc heat lowered. (bla bla bla = random clan mech)

Can't wait to see a possible quirk added for the Adder / Puma :)

#29 Kain Demos

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 17 November 2014 - 04:16 PM

I don't think it needs quirks--some more pods would probably suit it just fine. PGI has already said that for 'mechs that don't have variants available in this timeline they will "invent" some if they have to. If you look at configs of the Adder there aren't very many and a few of them are using out-of-timeline or out-of-game weapons.

Arms or side torsos with more than 1 energy hardpoint would be a huge plus so that we could boat smaller lasers instead of being limited to 4. It would be nice to boat 6 x C-SPL with 20 heatsinks, that's for sure. That loadout would be possible just barely, utilizing all crit slots. It would be very heat efficient too-36 damage for just 18 heat with fast recycle times.

Edited by Kain Thul, 17 November 2014 - 04:17 PM.

#30 STEF_

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 18 November 2014 - 12:31 AM

And today my little lynx come home :wub:
Happy with this.
Not only theorycrafting !

#31 eFTy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 296 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 02:06 AM

Why does everyone seem to think the CAP will be fixed? The Nova Prime comes with a CAP and that can be taken out.

#32 MonkeyCheese

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,045 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Australia

Posted 18 November 2014 - 02:18 AM

View PosteFTy, on 18 November 2014 - 02:06 AM, said:

Why does everyone seem to think the CAP will be fixed? The Nova Prime comes with a CAP and that can be taken out.

Go down to the mech specs section here https://mwomercs.com/wavetwo and click on the ice ferret prime, weapons and active probe are in orange text while everything else is white, the probe and the weapons are removable.

Now click on any of the mist lynx specs, only the weapons are in orange text while all the heat sinks, jumpjets and active probe are all in white text, they are all locked

furthermore http://youtu.be/dMFSR0rNtss?t=7m20s you can see all that equipment is greyed out just like the jumpjets on a summoner or the fixed heat sinks in a kitfox

#33 STEF_

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 18 November 2014 - 02:38 AM

View PosteFTy, on 18 November 2014 - 02:06 AM, said:

Because Omnis have fixed weapons/equipments.
Lynx comes with fixed cap, like Nova comes with fixed JJ, and so on...

#34 eFTy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 296 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 03:09 AM

Ah, I see. Thought only certain equipment was fixed. Forgot about the flamer on the adder...

#35 Trevor Belmont

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 290 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 12:06 PM

So the C has a whopping 2 hardpoints, both in the same arm. Grats POS mech. DOA.

#36 Master Pain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 253 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 02:37 PM

Or you could use a different omnipod. Both the B and Prime right arm omnipods have 3 hardpoints...

#37 Durant Carlyle

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 18 November 2014 - 06:40 PM

Or just not use ECM arm. Problem solved.

Just because you CAN use ECM doesn't mean you SHOULD.

MLX is better without it. My second match in one:

Posted Image

#38 ChapeL

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 12:21 AM

I'm liking it so far. However the mech pays dearly for the right to carry ECM but we all knew that beforehand. Thus the alt C is tricky to configure. Having success so far with Narc and a few lasers or 4 SPLs. Of course, the image below doesn't say that I killed a trio of overheated Firestarters before landing the kill shot on a crippled Nova and then taking 2 full minutes to finish off an Atlas I had previously stripped of weapons but hey, it makes for a spectacular scorecard :)
Posted Image

Edited by ChapeL, 19 November 2014 - 12:27 AM.

#39 Mad Dog Morgan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 489 posts
  • LocationOutlaw On The Run, Faster than a Stolen Gun

Posted 19 November 2014 - 12:27 AM

To me it seems to function just fine with a set of 3 SRM4s and a CMLAS or CSPLAS. What it seems to excel at though, is being able to hop over mechs, get behind them, and escape afterward.

#40 ChapeL

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 12:32 AM

Agreed, I took on a Dire Wolf... alone... I felt bad for the guy. I had four small pulse lasers. He was doing everything he could to get a bead on me ( and doing what he should to make me corner myself) but the Lynx is nimble. Keep in mind I am NOT a light mech jock... those things usually move too fast for me to aim reliably.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users