#1 HAV0C

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 381 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted 13 October 2014 - 07:12 PM

<S> Greetings everyone.

I'm tossing this out here as an idea/concept for playing the various mission types in a slightly different mode: Stock.

Basically, you take a 'mech as it comes when purchased. No customization at all. This would branch over to Clan 'mechs too.

I don't propose we make this a whole new game mode per-se, an I realize we have private matches where we can set this kind of match up with people if a group of players wish to, but it would certainly be a drastically different way to play MWO compared to the current meta if it was introduced as a way to drop in PUG/Group queue matches.

Variants would matter, and lesser-used 'mechs would really start to shine in their stock configurations I think. You have to be able to use what you're given, what you have at your disposal, and make it work. Conserve your ammunition, make your shots count, as you've regularly got a very finite ammount of ammunition to use.

Would anyone else be interested in this style of gameplay? There's already the basis for it in the Trial 'mech system in the game. You select your preffered 'mech and when you drop, it's got the default loadout for weapons/armor & equipment. The only difference would be Modules would remain, as would the efficiencies and 'mech tree unlocks of course.

Looking forward to seeing what others think. I used to love this kind of gameplay back in previous Mechwarrior games, and wonder if anyone else around did as well.

Thanks everyone. In the mean time, I'll see y'all dirtside.

-Colonel Andrew "Havoc" Davis
Death's Hand Brigade Mercenaries

#2 Alex Warden

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,659 posts
  • Location...straying in the Inner Sphere...

Posted 13 October 2014 - 08:22 PM

oh havoc... you´ve been around since the early days...yu should know that there´s one of those requests every 2 weeks at least...

no offense, just saying...

p.s. lately PGI has another way to answer that: "you have lobbies for that..."

Edited by Alex Warden, 13 October 2014 - 08:23 PM.

#3 HAV0C

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 381 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted 13 October 2014 - 08:35 PM

I know I'm not the only one asking for it, Alex. Which is why I want to put this up to see and perhaps poll the interest in the forum-going community for MWO.

Also, and as an aside to your P.S.: I mentioned in my opening post about lobbies and using them to set up matches such as this. I hope you realize that while that is a very valid option, would it not be equally valid to have that be something both sides could opt to choose in later versions of Community Warfare? Perhaps have the defender of a planet have first option to select stock only for the drop for both sides, if they choose not to, then the attacker can choose to drop in stock only mode for both sides. If the attacker chooses not to as well, then the match continues with customized 'mechs as usual.

I'd love to have the option at least, even if it's rarely used.

Just my thoughts on that. <S> Thanks for the feedback all the same, Alex.

-Colonel Andrew "Havoc" Davis
Death's Hand Brigade Mercenaries

#4 ApolloKaras

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationSeattle, Washington

Posted 13 October 2014 - 08:41 PM

You wouldn't be the only one who would do it...

#mechforceclassic

#5 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 13 October 2014 - 09:42 PM

I would love it.

#6 MoonUnitBeta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationCanada ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Posted 13 October 2014 - 09:53 PM

I'd really appreciate a "Stock" option in Private matches. Where it forces all mechs to launch in stock loadout, and if you don't have certain items in your inventory, it prompts,
"You need to purchase these items in order to play the selected game mode, would you like to continue with the purchase?
1,254,500 CB
Items:
1 - Large Laser
2 - Fancy Pants Rifles
1 - XL 9000LE Engine
1 - Flamer
(upgrades/downgrades are free)"

That way when you organize the launch, no body has to **** around with their loadouts. The Lobby owner simply selects Stock, clicks go, and once everyone that gets the window clicks "OK", it starts the match.

The UI obvious is going to display who's mech and inventory is invalid for the stock game before you click launch so there's no surprises.
After clicking launch, the UI simply shows who is ready and who still needs to accept the stock loadout bill.
Once the game is a "GO", the mech's loadouts are saved then refitted to stock loadouts behind the scenes.
When the match ends, the mechs are reset to their previous loadouts, and all is jim-dandy.

#7 endevite

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 175 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 10:30 PM

Hrm, stock, maybe if stock mode gave like a 50% heat efficiency increase (like dhs = 2.0 not 1.4) and removed ghost heat so all these stock variants actually work. ;p

#8 MoonUnitBeta

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationCanada ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Posted 13 October 2014 - 10:50 PM

View Postendevite, on 13 October 2014 - 10:30 PM, said:

Hrm, stock, maybe if stock mode gave like a 50% heat efficiency increase (like dhs = 2.0 not 1.4) and removed ghost heat so all these stock variants actually work. ;p

Well the idea is that all mechs would be stock, so everyone has to know how to manage heat. I think one of the draws is that you do have sucky heat with stock mechs. I'm not sure if clan stock vs IS stock is all that fair, but it would be fun to play.

#9 N0MAD

• 1,757 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 10:59 PM

More options are always beter except when you dont have the population big enough that the matchmaker cant work properly with the given 3 modes let alone adding more..

#10 CDLord HHGD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 14 October 2014 - 04:44 AM

Would we have to keep our mechs stock or would the mech we drop in be converted to stock for the purposes of this? Either way I'm all for it, but I may need more mechs and bays..... :ph34r:

#11 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 14 October 2014 - 04:49 AM

By stock mode, most folks actually want a 3025 mode. In many stock leagues, mechs with any lostech (or clans) are forbidden.

For example, stock build, the Stalker 5M is the best stalker hands down, simply because it has DHS. The Raven-3L is the best light because it comes with an ECM. Hero mechs that come upgraded are awe inspiring, and the Shadowhawk 5M may be the best stock medium in the game.

Not a big fan as anything other than a flag you can throw in private matches. Don't make me play that way, and there's not enough demand to make it it's own queue.

That said, make it a flag in private matches (Stock and 3025 Tech). I'm all for that.

Edited by Bront, 14 October 2014 - 04:49 AM.

#12 BillyM

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 05:32 AM

"Stock Mode" check box in private matches that automatically reverts your current chassis to its factory default loadout for that drop only (without you having to do a hundred clicks in the mechlab) would GREATLY increase the usage, and give way to considerably more community-driven stock-mode challenges.

I'm all-for-it.

--billyM

#13 Livewyr

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,733 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 14 October 2014 - 05:50 AM

I would not mind a stock game mode.

However: Clans knew how to build better machines.

Stock TBR-Prime vs heavies/assaults.
Stock TBR-S vs all.
Stock SCR-Prime vs all.

(Even the stock AWS-9M, built in 3049 would get absolutely crushed by the stock TBR-Prime, built 100 years earlier.)

----------------------
It would probably have to br restricted to 3025 IS mechs if it is to have any hope of being balanced-ish.

#14 Logan Hawke

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 504 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 05:58 AM

As soon as they get the heat mechanics to work better stock matches would be double plus good.

#15 VirtualSmitty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 528 posts
  • LocationHilton Head, Holy Terra

Posted 14 October 2014 - 06:01 AM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 13 October 2014 - 09:42 PM, said:

I would love it.

+1

#16 Rhaythe

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 06:03 AM

While I believe many Mechwarrior/Battletech veterans would absolutely drool over themselves for this kind of gamemode, I would be willing to bet that the general gaming population here is addicted to the mechlab. Most players don't want to learn how to manage heat. They want to push one button, do 70 damage, and get an instant kill. So in order to get a game mode like this into the public queue, you have to be able to get the general population to want to play builds that, on paper, seem inferior to something they could produce in five minutes in the mechlab.

"Because the builds are canon" means little to a primarily videogame-based audience.

#17 kapusta11

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,854 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 06:03 AM

We already have conquest a mode that no one plays.

#18 Logan Hawke

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 504 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 06:29 AM

View Postkapusta11, on 14 October 2014 - 06:03 AM, said:

We already have conquest a mode that no one plays.

I wish, the head of the MWO part of my clan claims that it's the only good mode.

#19 Sprouticus

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationChicago, Il, USA

Posted 14 October 2014 - 06:49 AM

View PostRhaythe, on 14 October 2014 - 06:03 AM, said:

While I believe many Mechwarrior/Battletech veterans would absolutely drool over themselves for this kind of gamemode, I would be willing to bet that the general gaming population here is addicted to the mechlab. Most players don't want to learn how to manage heat. They want to push one button, do 70 damage, and get an instant kill. So in order to get a game mode like this into the public queue, you have to be able to get the general population to want to play builds that, on paper, seem inferior to something they could produce in five minutes in the mechlab.

"Because the builds are canon" means little to a primarily videogame-based audience.

This. MW2 introcued the mechlab. Stock has never really been an option since.

I would probalby not plays stock simply because it would end up being even MORE limited in selection. specific mechs and variants would be 'the best' and everyone would use them.

and yea, stock TW and Scrow's would wipe the floor with everyone. The stock DW prime & A ain't shabby either.

#20 Belorion

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,469 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 14 October 2014 - 06:52 AM

While I am all about people getting the game modes they like, I just don't think this is going to be a viable game mode. There won't be enough support to have it as a separate queue and it will never work as a forced queue...

...stock mode might just have to sit this one out.

View PostSprouticus, on 14 October 2014 - 06:49 AM, said:

This. MW2 introcued the mechlab. Stock has never really been an option since.

BT had mech customization in it from the beginning. It was never not going to happen in the video games.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users