Game Mode Type: Stock

Gameplay

46 replies to this topic

#41 Combat Loss Grouping

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 09:26 PM

This is actually sort of what I was doing with a few mechs. I called it 'Super Stock' to myself - I'd go ahead and do things like max armor, install endo/DHS, maybe things like BAP for LRM-based mechs purely for the game-mechanics use - but otherwise I'd leave the weapons loadout stock (well I have to admit having only a two-button mouse with wheel I sometimes streamlined weapons down into what fits for three weapon groups).

If a 'Level 1' match type or community became A Thing, I'd definitely be interested in it. For one thing, I'd like to have matches with appropriate movement speeds, none of this 150kph light business. But as it is now trying to play that way myself in the public queue is just asking for frustration.

edit: I actually wouldn't prefer a 'pure stock' mode, since a little customization makes the game go 'round. Perhaps '3025 mode' with no advanced/clan tech allowed (no XLs, ER/pulse lasers, LBX/Ultra, SHS only, etc etc etc) with no mechs radically changed from their design intent (no AC20 CPLT-K2s for example).

Edited by Combat Loss Grouping, 14 October 2014 - 09:29 PM.

#42 ApolloKaras

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationSeattle, Washington

Posted 14 October 2014 - 09:59 PM

View PostMoonUnitBeta, on 13 October 2014 - 09:53 PM, said:

I'd really appreciate a "Stock" option in Private matches. Where it forces all mechs to launch in stock loadout, and if you don't have certain items in your inventory, it prompts,
"You need to purchase these items in order to play the selected game mode, would you like to continue with the purchase?
1,254,500 CB
Items:
1 - Large Laser
2 - Fancy Pants Rifles
1 - XL 9000LE Engine
1 - Flamer
(upgrades/downgrades are free)"

That way when you organize the launch, no body has to **** around with their loadouts. The Lobby owner simply selects Stock, clicks go, and once everyone that gets the window clicks "OK", it starts the match.

The UI obvious is going to display who's mech and inventory is invalid for the stock game before you click launch so there's no surprises.
After clicking launch, the UI simply shows who is ready and who still needs to accept the stock loadout bill.
Once the game is a "GO", the mech's loadouts are saved then refitted to stock loadouts behind the scenes.
When the match ends, the mechs are reset to their previous loadouts, and all is jim-dandy.

I would be okay with the above. At least it wouldnt strain those financially that want to do it. Both in mech bays AND Cbills.

#43 Alex Warden

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,659 posts
  • Location...straying in the Inner Sphere...

Posted 15 October 2014 - 12:05 AM

View PostHAV0C, on 13 October 2014 - 08:35 PM, said:

I know I'm not the only one asking for it, Alex. Which is why I want to put this up to see and perhaps poll the interest in the forum-going community for MWO.

Also, and as an aside to your P.S.: I mentioned in my opening post about lobbies and using them to set up matches such as this. I hope you realize that while that is a very valid option, would it not be equally valid to have that be something both sides could opt to choose in later versions of Community Warfare? Perhaps have the defender of a planet have first option to select stock only for the drop for both sides, if they choose not to, then the attacker can choose to drop in stock only mode for both sides. If the attacker chooses not to as well, then the match continues with customized 'mechs as usual.

I'd love to have the option at least, even if it's rarely used.

Just my thoughts on that. <S> Thanks for the feedback all the same, Alex.

-Colonel Andrew "Havoc" Davis
Death's Hand Brigade Mercenaries

you´re very welcome...and sure,i get where you´re coming from... but what i intended to say is that PGI currently tends to dodge that (and similar) topic/s with the "you got lobbies" statement... every single time ;)

Edited by Alex Warden, 15 October 2014 - 12:06 AM.

#44 Stormwolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,951 posts
  • LocationCW Dire Wolf

Posted 15 October 2014 - 01:14 AM

I've been waiting for a stock only mode for a fairly long time.

I can't stand to play in matches with all the min max munchkinwarriors.

#45 RockmachinE

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 03:28 AM

I always wished for something like this. But its not realistic to hope for it any time soon.

#46 MoonUnitBeta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationCanada ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Posted 15 October 2014 - 07:23 AM

View PostBarHaid, on 14 October 2014 - 02:19 PM, said:

Fair? Oh no, not at all. If you haven't done so, go watch the Clan vs IS "Stock Mech Monday" videos on the YouTube. A veritable slaughter! Of course, that is what it should be; The IS is supposed to be at a disadvantage in canon. It makes winning all that more enjoyable, though. ;)

Haha, yeah it's pretty crazy. That's probably why it's not an official game mode though haha. There would be way too many complaints. However some support for it with private matches would streamline the process. I'm not sure what they have in mind with lobbies, but would be nice to see support there too.

#47 HAV0C

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 381 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted 15 October 2014 - 01:59 PM

I will mention that taking 12 IS vs. 12 Clan 'mechs is NOWHERE near fair. You have to add tonnage to the Clan 'mechs in order to achieve the numerical advantage that the I.S. has over the clans in simulation in a Stock mode format. Generally speaking it was a 15% (approximately) increase in weight for clan 'mechs with a tonnage limit generally in place for both sides. Typically the Clan players would field five to eight Omnimechs versus anywhere from 6 to 12 Inner Sphere Battlemechs in a single match, tonnage limit depending.

For example: A drop deck for an I.S. vs. Clan stock drop I've run in the distant past in MW4 consisted of the following.

I.S. side: 1 Atlas (100 tons), 1 Thanatos (75 tons), 1 Dragon (60 tons), 2 Hellspawns (45 tons each) and one Raven (35 tons) = 360 tons for the drop deck (the max for that particular match was 360 tons). This was a reinforced lance format, a little heavier than I wanted on the top end, as I would have preferred more of numerical advantage, but we made it work.

Clan Side: 3 Novacats (70 Tons) and 2 Madcats (75 tons) = 360 tons

I'll note that we (the I.S. side) killed all five enemy 'mechs without losing a single 'mech (Barely, my Atlas was held together by bubble gum and bailing wire at the end of the match, as they all focused me. HARD. I had one leg and my CT/Armor remaining when the match ended, and both CT and left leg were cherry red/no armor left.) I attribute this to a perfectly executed feint by the trio of the two mediums and the light distracting the enemy long enough for the larger 'mechs to rush the clustered Clan machines and overwhelm them in close quarters, using the terrain to mask our approach till we were within ~500 meters.

Not the best example, as the I.S. outnumbered the clans by only one 'mech, but it shows that you have to give the I.S. side numerical superiority, or a higher tonnage limit, or both, to combat Clan 'mechs. Not stupidly more, like 5 versus 12, but something to offset how powerful Clan technology and weaponry are. One on one, Clan 'mechs are far and away superior obviously.

Just thought I'd offer that as an example of how to make I.S. vs. Clan a little more dynamic and interesting, while not unbalanced either.

Take it easy for now, ladies & gents. <S>

-Colonel Andrew "Havoc" Davis
Death's Hand Brigade Mercenaries

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users