124 replies to this topic

#101 SaltBeef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,081 posts
  • LocationOmni-mech cockpit.

Posted 15 October 2014 - 01:45 AM

I have no problem wrecking a firestarter in my atlas RS ( C ). But in a direwhale you bêtter just power down like that poor MechWarrior.

Maybe if you hop forward and lean in the seat you can get that **** to move a bit faster.

#102 SaltBeef

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,081 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 02:01 AM

At least it is not the walking CT it used to be!!.. it still sucks but not nearly as bad as it was at release.

#103 Hillbillycrow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 03:37 AM

I actually artied myself on purpose while in a DW being tormented by 2 lights. The shame. The shame.

#104 ACH75

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 251 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 03:42 AM

BACK PLATE QUIRK!!!! Rear Armor +300% :D

#105 Willard Phule

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 15 October 2014 - 04:01 AM

It's Clan.

That means nerf it if it can kill anyone.

Someone tell Paul he needs to hit it with his Football Bat.

Debate ended. Anything Clan that can possibly hurt a new player MUST be nerfed. Period.

#106 That Dawg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 04:02 AM

View PostScout Derek, on 14 October 2014 - 08:15 AM, said:

Is the Dire Wolf too slow?

HELL yeah it is!
It really needs a dozen jumpjets, and the ability to put an XL1200 into it to help balance its wittle self out.
Woefully ineffective it is currently

#107 Evil Ed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 527 posts
  • LocationStavanger, Norway

Posted 15 October 2014 - 04:03 AM

There is a lot of terrible direwolf pilots out there. Rather then just core them from behind I often do this trick instead:

Posted Image

#108 That Dawg

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 04:04 AM

View PostAbivard, on 15 October 2014 - 01:31 AM, said:

1 Light kills you? well you are simply NOT Direwhale pilot material.

WOW, that excludes 90% of all assault drivers then?
I saw tournament lights killing off assaults as often as assaults killed off lights.
crap..double negative, hope some universe somewhere didn't just implode.

#109 Evil Ed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 527 posts
  • LocationStavanger, Norway

Posted 15 October 2014 - 04:11 AM

Protip: Don't front load your armor that hard when dropping solo, keep some backarmor and hope it buys you enough time to get help from friends. Bring UAV so friends notices that spider harassing your clana$$.

#110 Angel of Annihilation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 04:34 AM

Direwolf is indeed too slow but that is what balances out its overwhelming firepower. It's speed makes it completely dependent of getting the support of the team to ward off lights and prevent people picking it apart from the flanks but with that support it can a massive cornerstone that can lead a team to victory.

Overall though, I don't really like the mech and have a feeling that the Warhawk, with its enhanced mobility, will be my go to Clan Assault (at least until the Executioner comes out).

#111 Glythe

• 1,566 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 04:35 AM

Let players take off weapons and go with tonnage free (say 10-15 tons) if they want to go faster.

Until it loses firepower or armor it has no reason to be faster.

#112 o0Marduk0o

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,231 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted 15 October 2014 - 04:42 AM

View PostScout Derek, on 14 October 2014 - 08:43 AM, said:

Really? OK then Watch this video of A Mad Dog Vs. A Death Star.

This video shows why 6x UAC5 are bad compared to other setups.

#113 Mercules

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 5,136 posts
  • LocationPlymouth, MN

Posted 15 October 2014 - 05:58 AM

Yes, it is slow and turns slowly. 1 on 1 a not dumb light will probably be able to wear it down. It is less agile than most other assaults. It carries more firepower than most other assaults.

Basically, this mech alone can get overwhelmed by a more maneuverable mech. However, in 12 v 12 smart teams will not leave this mech by itself. When I play my Kitfox, I find the nearest Direwolf and cover him with ECM and AMS while making sure no one "sneaks up" on them.

When I play my Stormcrow I tend to do something similar but help focus fire on his main target when I'm not keeping flankers back from him.

That is what you do in games. You play to your strength and cover your weaknesses. A Direwolf's speed and vulnerability to flanking means when I am on a team with one I need to cover it's weakness.

#114 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 15 October 2014 - 07:07 AM

View PostSaltBeef, on 14 October 2014 - 03:45 PM, said:

Making the clan XL engine size adjustable would help a lot with this slow behemoth! Sacrificing some of that 50 tons of weapon space for engine size agility would be well worth it. Absolutely!

Allow clans to upscale or downscale the Clan XL engine size installed.

Terrible idea....and sorry but no. This goes against many things, lore, source books, the way clanners made mechs. The engines are welded in sorry they are not and will not be removable on any mech with Omni's. Also why?

Not a single person has gave me a legit reason as to WHY the Whale needs any buffs at all...i see people still calling for clan nerfs. Once the IS quirks pass come along we will see how the game and balance stand at that point. But the DWF is in NO WAY in need of anything right now. If the IS quirks dont buff other mechs enough i can see a small set of neg quirks added to some of the more powerful Clan chassis' ( SCR, DWF, TBR) But i hope this is not the case!!!

#115 Angel of Annihilation

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 07:37 AM

View Postcruxholzer, on 14 October 2014 - 09:59 AM, said:

The only way the Direwolf is at a disadvantage is in close quarter combat with cover. Even then only a select few IS assault mech builds will work. That is if you can get close enough without being wrecked first. You still can't dispute the KILLS AND DAMAGE NUMBERS the Direwolf constantly puts up. Before Clan mechs 900 point games were awesome now 1200 point games for lots of people is the norm. You can't feed me this bull about balance. Its OP!

I can deny it.

Sure I get a few 800-1100 damage matches in my Dire, but most aren't any better than I get with any other mechs and many matches are just fall flat on your face bad. You honestly need either a very dumb enemy team or a very supportive friendly team to get big number with a Dire. In fact every big number game I can recall with my Dire had me shaking my head in awe at how completely idiotic the enemy team was.

One match I stood out in the open on top the drop ship on Frozen City almost the whole game just laying down firepower into the enemy below me. No one even shot at me for like 3 mins of this constant pounding. Another time the enemy team let me flank and ambush them from behind, I mean it was just so comical waddling up behind them and coreing them from behind one by one without them noticing. I think I managed to kill 4 before any of them looked over their shoulder and noticed me killing them. Again a real dumb team.

#116 Kaspirikay

• Giant Helper
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 08:26 AM

the dire sucks. I wasn't afraid of them in my Atlas months ago, now they're a even bigger push over.

#117 SaltBeef

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,081 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 09:02 AM

Welded in my @$$! Based off a new rule book from 2009 Battletech been around a hell of a lot longer than that. Welds can be removed. Every M1 tank that gets new armor or upgrades gets welds removed and reapplied. Who wrote this rule a 2 yr old,

#118 bluepiglet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 09:35 AM

Asking for a buff on Dire? I want what OP smoked before posting this!!

#119 Darzok

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 255 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 10:39 AM

To slow oh no just no nope no way the Dire can rip an arm of leg off most med mechs on a light hit should it land a good hit if you do not core you strip all the armor off a med CT.

Its fast enough for the crazy firepower it can run around with its OP all ready any buff and it would be silly OP the weakness it has now is the only thing keeping it even close to balanced.

That been said once we got the Kingcrabs running around the Dire might not be OP any more once we got an IS assault that can give as good a Dire per burst.

#120 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 10:46 AM

Dire Wolf should get a +5% max speed quirk on the prime left torso (the one with 1 missile launcher)

Currently theres NO reason to use that side torso and a speed quirk would make it a little more appealing.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users