124 replies to this topic

#81 SaltBeef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,081 posts
  • LocationOmni-mech cockpit.

Posted 14 October 2014 - 04:03 PM

Well we will see......someday after the IS mechs are boooofed above Clan mechs , ( almost there ) they may check the insanity and let us customize the same engine class type in our mechs.

#82 Foxfire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 04:13 PM

View PostSaltBeef, on 14 October 2014 - 04:03 PM, said:

Well we will see......someday after the IS mechs are boooofed above Clan mechs , ( almost there ) they may check the insanity and let us customize the same engine class type in our mechs.

While I do agree that the limits on customization for clan mechs are too limited... This isn't an issue as long as clan mechs have access to things like clan XL engines . Currently there are too many advantages for clan tech without creating a completely different drop structure that segregates clan and IS mechs .

Edited by Foxfire, 14 October 2014 - 04:15 PM.

#83 Cruxs

• PipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 93 posts
  • LocationMy parents basment.

Posted 14 October 2014 - 04:16 PM

"Statements like this only indicate that you're not looking to discuss, you're looking to preach, and anyone who doesn't mindlessly agree with your position can just fly off and go frisk themselves. It's a terrible way to try and get someone to agree with you. Just so y'know."

Wow thanks for the advice! 1453R The statement stands on its own. If you look back through the thread we had quite the discussion. I wasn't just "preaching" we disagreed, we were going in circles I just tried to end my side of it on a friendly note. I responded to his last few points. if he would like to respond thats fine I said all I need to.

Since you like definitions here you go:

Discussion:

An or instance of discussing; consideration or examination by argument, comment, etc.,
especially to explore solutions; informaldebate.

I told you what my definition of OP is - a 'Mech that kills more easily, and dies far harder, than anything else on its curve. Or, more accurately, a 'Mech which polarizes or centralizes the game, something powerful enough to force a disproportionate amount of the playerbase to alter what they're doing specifically and solely to deal with the threat. Adjusting strategies mid-match to account for the Whale's vast firepower is fine. Being forced to specifically build Whale-hunting 'Mechs or lose to Whales would not be - but fortunately you don't have to do that. The Whale neither polarizes nor centralizes the game, even with all its firepower.

IMO the Direwolf fits your description as does the Timberwolf thanks for making my point.

Edited by cruxholzer, 14 October 2014 - 04:50 PM.

#84 Krivvan

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,318 posts
  • LocationUSA/Canada

Posted 14 October 2014 - 04:22 PM

The Dire Whale is already essentially an absolute must on teams, and you want to make it better?

It is "centralized." It needs to have its weaknesses, if not more so.

Edited by Krivvan, 14 October 2014 - 04:27 PM.

#85 Koda Shy

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 94 posts
  • LocationTriPoint-Kapenja

Posted 14 October 2014 - 04:24 PM

when I drive my atlas, then switch to the Dire Wolf, its almost like im in a damn race car......the speed is fine...and if they do let us switch out engines, less weapons/ammo, so yea, if it aint broke don't fix it.

Edited by Koda Shy, 14 October 2014 - 04:26 PM.

#86 1453 R

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,470 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 04:34 PM

Y'know what?

Never mind.

Clearly I managed to step into another "MAKE CLANZ SUCK!!" thread by accident. And to think, I thought we were mostly done with those by now. Silly me. I keep forgetting that some folks will never rest until the UrbanStack is the most powerful unit in the game.

Please, carry on. You may proclaim the Mired Whale as OP as you wish. I will continue to flank them and gut them without much issue regardless, which I suppose makes me a much better uber-l337 ultracomp than I thought I was. Maybe I should go talk to Heim and Adiuvo about joining the House of Lords, since I'm apparently just that awesome in my ability to not stand in front of Mired Whales and get dipsed to death. What'd'you guys think, should I go in for the next RHoD and see if I can win it single-handedly with my own personal one-man unit?

#87 Krivvan

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,318 posts
  • LocationUSA/Canada

Posted 14 October 2014 - 04:43 PM

View Post1453 R, on 14 October 2014 - 04:34 PM, said:

Maybe I should go talk to Heim and Adiuvo about joining the House of Lords, since I'm apparently just that awesome in my ability to not stand in front of Mired Whales and get dipsed to death.

Aha. Ahaha. Aaahahahahahahahahahahaha...

Actually, I can try and get something like that set up right now if you want. You in an OP timberwolf vs. some Lord who agrees to use the whale?

Edited by Krivvan, 14 October 2014 - 04:52 PM.

#88 1453 R

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,470 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 04:51 PM

View PostKrivvan, on 14 October 2014 - 04:43 PM, said:

Aha. Ahaha. Aaahahahahahahahahahahaha...

Actually, I can get something like that set up right now if you want.

At work for another hour and a half or so. Heh...other than that little issue though, if you want to waste their time setting up a mock Trial because somebody on the forums opted for sarcasm instead of trying to beat some logic through a few troll skulls, be my guest. I'd enjoy seeing what either of them could do face-to-face, for a few seconds anyways. Doubt it'd realistically take much longer than that.

#89 Cyborne Elemental

• 3,960 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 14 October 2014 - 04:55 PM

Its low speed keeps things in check, as long as lights/mediums play their role.

Maps like River City, are pretty much a feeding frenzy against the Whales.

Like last night, I got stuck in the rear position in RC up by the Aircraft on top, knew I couldn't outrun anything especially with my team doing their usual Nascar race, I just kept watching them ignore the rear, so I parked in what I thought was a good spot and shutdown, watched 2 madcats and a Jenner sprint by so I powered up.

Took out a Victor trying to keep up and he noticed me at the last second and targeted me, and Monkey Lover and his teamate who was in a Dragon did exactly what they were supposed to do, they split up, dragon took right flank and got my attention, while Monkey swung around my left and stuck 2 volleys of SRM4x3 in my back, was pretty impressive to watch happen tbh, regardless I was dead in about 6 seconds.

#90 nolove

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 07:17 PM

Posted Image

#91 divinedisclaimer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 281 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 07:24 PM

View PostScout Derek, on 14 October 2014 - 08:15 AM, said:

Hey,
While I was uploading this video I was thinking: Is the Dire Wolf too slow? I mean, the firepower was enough to get a red crit left torso on my BlackJack(Which got killed later afterwards by a Artillery Strike lol), but it could be that that pilot was panicking... Opinions?

No.

PS the part where he's rotating towards you and you don't run through his line of fire is actually more suicidal because you can't backpedal fast enough to avoid his weaponry and end up in his sights longer because of your pussification.

#92 SaltBeef

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,081 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 07:34 PM

I watched a rather good direwhale pilot just give up when an ember started to tear him a new one.... he did not even try to fight back!, just stopped and let the kill happen. He knew no matter what he did he was not going to kill that ember. This is the tale of the Dire whale. A Tunnel vision mech.

Edited by SaltBeef, 14 October 2014 - 07:34 PM.

#93 Xtrekker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 865 posts
  • LocationOn your six

Posted 14 October 2014 - 08:06 PM

View PostDarthPeanut, on 14 October 2014 - 09:57 AM, said:

The Dire turret is just fine and needs no buff to speed or twist rate.

Any change to them would make them even more ridiculously powerful and out of line.

I would actually be okay with it if they wanted to turn the DWF into a turret. Even more so if they removed torso twist and pointed them at one another.

View Postnolove, on 14 October 2014 - 07:17 PM, said:

Posted Image

Hey, a troll just graduated from Cadet School and can finally fulfill his dream of posting on the forums. Congratulations!

#94 Sorbic

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 08:38 PM

View PostKrivvan, on 14 October 2014 - 04:22 PM, said:

The Dire Whale is already essentially an absolute must on teams, and you want to make it better?

It is "centralized." It needs to have its weaknesses, if not more so.

heh, I've lost track of the number of times that someone mystified by Clan tech has stated "we have no <insert TW or DW>'s. We've already lost. It's funny how often that's not true. I am fairly new to DW's and they can be powerful assets but I can do better in other assaults like Stalkers and Battlemasters.

It needs no more weaknesses and with the lousy spawn points could really stand movement speed being bumped 2-3mph to help avoid that whole left behind thing.

#95 Krivvan

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,318 posts
  • LocationUSA/Canada

Posted 14 October 2014 - 10:02 PM

View PostSorbic, on 14 October 2014 - 08:38 PM, said:

It needs no more weaknesses and with the lousy spawn points could really stand movement speed being bumped 2-3mph to help avoid that whole left behind thing.

It being left behind is a part of the strategy of using it on a team though. Maybe saying it needs more weaknesses is a bit much, but making it move just as easily as the more maneuverable assaults would be a mistake.

#96 BOWMANGR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 220 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 11:01 PM

The Direwolf is fine as it is. You want to have "I can kill everything that steps in front of me" matches, then you will have to suck it up and have "A Locust will mess up my day" matches too.

Otherwise, take a different chassis with less Firepower and more mobility. It's that simple.

Edited by BOWMANGR, 14 October 2014 - 11:02 PM.

#97 SaltBeef

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,081 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 11:11 PM

The dire whale is a **** covered in M and M,s. The worst example of it in any MechWarrior game date is the one in this game. Pretty looking mech though agile as Roseanne Bar after a thanksgiving binge.

Edited by SaltBeef, 14 October 2014 - 11:11 PM.

#98 Lyoto Machida

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 12:26 AM

View PostSaltBeef, on 14 October 2014 - 11:11 PM, said:

The dire whale is a **** covered in M and M,s. The worst example of it in any MechWarrior game date is the one in this game. Pretty looking mech though agile as Roseanne Bar after a thanksgiving binge.

While I appreciate your sentiments, your analogy may be a bit out of date:

Posted Image

Maybe that one woman on TV nowadays may be a better example:

Posted Image

#99 KuroNyra

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,990 posts
  • LocationIdiot's Crater.

Posted 15 October 2014 - 12:30 AM

The Dire Wolf need to got at at least 110km/h and have a special tripled armor!

#totallynottrolling

#100 Abivard

• Shredder
  • 1,935 posts
  • LocationFree Rasalhague Republic

Posted 15 October 2014 - 01:31 AM

View PostSaltBeef, on 14 October 2014 - 07:34 PM, said:

I watched a rather good direwhale pilot just give up when an ember started to tear him a new one.... he did not even try to fight back!, just stopped and let the kill happen. He knew no matter what he did he was not going to kill that ember. This is the tale of the Dire whale. A Tunnel vision mech.

3 Lights will ruin a Direwhales day every time.
2 Lights are going be too much for most Direwhale pilots.
1 Light kills you? well you are simply NOT Direwhale pilot material.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users