I've Got A Big Fluffy Favour To Ask, Pgi.

67 replies to this topic

#21 stjobe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 23 October 2014 - 05:09 AM

View PostArtgathan, on 23 October 2014 - 04:06 AM, said:

Do you mean something like this?

Like the picture, yes. Not the personal backstory though, but there's got to be something one can nab from things like this:

Posted Image
(original TRO:3025, p. 54)

View PostGRiPSViGiL, on 23 October 2014 - 04:38 AM, said:

As long as it involves nothing more than just copy pasting some BS I am all for it. I won't read none of it because fluff in games like cut scenes are pointless. Just give me good gameplay over fluff any day of the week.

Ah, yes. But without fluff, this is just generic online shooter #3254. And it's supposed to be more than that, it's supposed to be "a BattleTech game" - and you can't be that without at least some fluff.

I don't think anyone says it should take precedence over game play though, so you can just forget about that straw man :)

#22 Colby Boucher

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 285 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 06:02 AM

Yes, fluff! Honestly, it would even help gameplay a little, I love reading up on what Sarna has to say about each mech - it gives me a much better idea on what role each mech is meant to play.

#23 Logan Hawke

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 504 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 06:49 AM

I bet you tons of us forumites would be willing to write fluff for small MC stipends per piece! :D

Hell, I bet some would just do it for free!

Seriously PGI, let us work for you.

Edited by Logan Hawke, 23 October 2014 - 06:50 AM.

#24 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 23 October 2014 - 07:23 AM

Posted Image

^
Needs moar immersion

View PostLogan Hawke, on 23 October 2014 - 06:49 AM, said:

I bet you tons of us forumites would be willing to write fluff for small MC stipends per piece! :D
Hell, I bet some would just do it for free!
Seriously PGI, let us work for you.

Well, I was going to suggest this, but it would take a bit of work to set up. I mean, they need some quality control. It could easily backfire as some person with a less than stellar mastery of the English language tries to write fluff and then gets upset when it's not used and no MC is given for his trouble.

They would have to think of a really smart way of doing this, if they were going to use fans. Like get a group of people together, and only accept any piece of fluff that has been proof-read and validated by all those people, and then proof-read and accepted by PGI staff. I guess the community manager would have to do it all behind closed doors.

#25 Logan Hawke

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 504 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 08:48 AM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 23 October 2014 - 07:23 AM, said:

Posted Image

^
Needs moar immersion

Well, I was going to suggest this, but it would take a bit of work to set up. I mean, they need some quality control. It could easily backfire as some person with a less than stellar mastery of the English language tries to write fluff and then gets upset when it's not used and no MC is given for his trouble.

They would have to think of a really smart way of doing this, if they were going to use fans. Like get a group of people together, and only accept any piece of fluff that has been proof-read and validated by all those people, and then proof-read and accepted by PGI staff. I guess the community manager would have to do it all behind closed doors.

I was actually brainstorming the same thing while I was driving about doing some work. My thoughts were they could gather a group of say, 10 'archivists' from the fluffers hanging on the forums, not the people who really know BT rules or MW games, the people who know and love the lore excessively. Those people would be the proof readers that would forward the good ones on to PGI (much like the player council was proposed to do) and PGI would take it from there. Additionally, since as we all know there is no true unbiased opinion, each piece should be reviewed by at least two of the Archivists just so it doesn't get vetoed because their favorite faction is cast in a bad (but accurate) light.

For additional 'Jesus PGI you're awesome' factor, a special 'loremaster' mech could be given to anyone who submits and has their story accepted (and of course the archivists as well)!

Edited by Logan Hawke, 23 October 2014 - 08:49 AM.

#26 Tristan Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,530 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 23 October 2014 - 02:38 PM

View Poststjobe, on 23 October 2014 - 05:09 AM, said:

Like the picture, yes. Not the personal backstory though, but there's got to be something one can nab from things like this:

(original TRO:3025, p. 54)

That's awesome. There's really minimal work involved when they just have to paraphrase and summarize the stuff from the BT books. No need to recruit a lot of players to help with that.

#27 aniviron

• 3,752 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 03:03 PM

I wholeheartedly agree, I'd love to see more fluff in the game. What's the point of it being Battletech if you're not going to use the lore and history?

If PGI can't spare the time, get Artgathan to write the blurbs! Seriously, did anyone else read this? It's great!

View PostArtgathan, on 23 October 2014 - 04:06 AM, said:

Do you mean something like this? I create a new one every week for the members of the Robinson Rangers Brigade (check out our front page, rrb.enjin.com, to see the most current one) who submit their builds to me.

[Operation Broken Arrow was a 3-month long event I ran. Players had the opportunity to pilot a 'named' mech during the event. If they did, I include it's accomplishments from the Operation in its description. It's a fun bit of lore-building for the unit.]

Centurion CN9 "Flash"

Beginning life in 3048 as a CN9-A, Arthur Dent's personal battlemech has had a long history within the Robinson Rangers Brigade. When it first rolled off the production line the battlemech - then an experimental variant dubbed the CN9-AX - Flash sported a smaller standard engine, a Mydron Excel LB-10X Autocannon and a trio of streak SRM2 missile launchers in place of the current PPC and SRM6 launchers. While this build performed admirably at the time, the increasing prevalence of ECM suites in 3049 forced the mech to swap the SSRM2 launchers for a trio of Holly-4 SRM Launchers.

While the AX boasted considerable firepower for a mech of its size (bearing an alpha strike potential of 44 damage), and strong armor coverage, it lacked maneuverability. The AX proved to be deadly in a brawl, especially when accompanied by Heavy and Assault battlemechs, as the power of the LB-10X became amplified once targets began to lose their armor. Using the Centurion's signature "shield arm", the AX could take considerable damage before being put down in a fight, making it a frightening opponent at short range.

Eventually Dent opted to upgrade Flash's original engine, a Nissan 200 Standard, to a Magna 250 Extralight, salvaged from a destroyed Kuritan Trebuchet. This afforded the AX a 25% increase in speed, greatly reducing the mech's mobility issues at the expense of its survivability. Unfortunately, the reduced durability of the AX proved to be an issue on Royal when the Robinson Ranger's Brigade began its campaign to reclaim the world in early 3050. During a skirmish with DCMS forces in early April, Dent's battlemech sustained critical damage. At the time, amply supplies existed to keep Flash in good repair. However, the mech's heavy reliance on ammunition and the use of the exotic LB-10X Autocannon and extralight engine strained supply lines as supply parts began to dwindle.

In response to this, Flash underwent significant refits. The trio of Holly-4 SRM Launchers were traded for a pair of Kuritan Harpoon-6 SRM Launchers, complete with Artemis IV FCS, looted from a DCMS supply convoy. Furthermore the Magna Extralight Engine was swapped for a Standard of the same rating, while the LB-10X was removed in place of a Lord's Light PPC torn from the arm of a DCMS Panther. At the end of all this the Flash more closely resembled a CN9-AL than it's original CN9-A. Fortunately these changes are likely to put less of a logistical strain on the RRB as the fighting on Royal continues to unfold. All told, Flash is still Dent's premiere battlemech and he hopes to have it restored to its previous functionality once the Old City Offensive on Royal has concluded.

#28 Xetelian

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,391 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 03:06 PM

I promise to read an enjoy any efforts made towards fluff

#29 Asmudius Heng

• Survivor
  • 2,429 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 23 October 2014 - 03:08 PM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 22 October 2014 - 04:52 PM, said:

Absolutely. I've never seen a game that relied so much on its website to bring across the setting, the factions involved, etc. I wonder if the UI 2.0 already has an easy way to incorporate news articles, background text for each mech.

A player's choice of faction should really be done in the game's UI, with rich information about each faction.

A recent post somewhere said that there will be in game fluff when choosing a faction which is good.

From the town halls i think Russ did mention that IGP were leaning away from lore more than PGI wish such things as the GridIron which was a tie in to the superbowl? (I am Australian i dont really know) - i thought it was a freaking stupid hero mech concept personally.

Also events being less to do with lore etc which has changed very recently.

So ... my HOPE is ... my very big hope is that PGI actually understand that lore, and story, and characters, and context etc are actually important to a game even one that is F2P and based around grinding as its engine.

I really hope they understand that without a story people are less invested and there is less to explore.

Game hoppers will exit the game much quicker without providing players or money without some context, and those that might want to dig deeper will think the experience is too shallow and not bother.

With some context to fight for an over you will light something in the mind and imagination of even the most story averse gamer which hooks them in.

---

each mech needs to have a story, just a blurb to explain why it is great, it is not like they need to invent something either the backstroies are all there on Sarna and in the Btech books.

Each faction needs a story obviously which will happen, however they also need a THEME. When i sign up to be Kuritan, i want my UI to change slightly to reflect the fusion of high tech and fuedal japanese etc. When you go Davion you want that ultra herioc western knight kinda thing, when FWL ... i dont know your pit crew brawling each other since they cant stop infighting? :P

Each weapon even needs just a short blurb which also explains its role and mechanics just a little bit. When a new player sees a PPC why do they want to equip it? What if it said 'PPC fire man made lightning that ravages armour at mid to long range causing electronic interference, but at close ranges cannot build enough charge so beware infighting with this powerful main weapon' ... everyone loves man made lighting am i right!

Units also need to be able to add thier own blurb i think that would be cool

With just these additions you dont smack people in face with lore and force them to sit through the history of the inner sphere, but instead it lurks in all corners, filling in the gaps, providing a comforting sphere of immersion that will engage people to explore more without detracting from the pew pew pew that most new gamers are coming for to start with.

With CW it can just get deeper.

Anyway i am in a ranty mood huh?

#30 gregsolidus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 03:20 PM

They don't have that kind of money.

#31 Asmudius Heng

• Survivor
  • 2,429 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 23 October 2014 - 03:22 PM

View Postgregsolidus, on 23 October 2014 - 03:20 PM, said:

To what? add some text? yes they do.

#32 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 03:23 PM

View Postgregsolidus, on 23 October 2014 - 03:20 PM, said:

It takes money to make money.

The Battletech lore is a resource.

#33 Artgathan

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 03:26 PM

View Postaniviron, on 23 October 2014 - 03:03 PM, said:

I wholeheartedly agree, I'd love to see more fluff in the game. What's the point of it being Battletech if you're not going to use the lore and history?

If PGI can't spare the time, get Artgathan to write the blurbs! Seriously, did anyone else read this? It's great!

Thanks for the kind words. If PGI was interested in having me write for them I would be more than happy to!

#34 gregsolidus

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 03:28 PM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 23 October 2014 - 03:23 PM, said:

It takes money to make money.

The Battletech lore is a resource.

I didn't say they shouldn't. In fact I'm surprised they haven't but between CW, making Clan mechs even less modular, and otherwise keeping the game afloat I don't think they have the man power to copy paste Sarna.

#35 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 03:42 PM

View Postgregsolidus, on 23 October 2014 - 03:28 PM, said:

I didn't say they shouldn't. In fact I'm surprised they haven't but between CW, making Clan mechs even less modular, and otherwise keeping the game afloat I don't think they have the man power to copy paste Sarna.

For all the people painting a doom & gloom picture of PGI business, I think the most important indication of their financial situation is the fact that they've had roughly 50 employees from they started developing MWO untill today. If that number starts dropping sharply, I will take that as proof that they're struggling. As long as it remains stable, I'd say they're doing fine.

Which means they can afford the minimal amount of work required for a low paid employee with the minumum of qualifications needed to paraphrase Sarna and old BT books. Anyone who successfully graduated from high school is a good candidate. :)

Failing that, get some people from the community to do it, and pay them with Monopoly money (aka MC)

#36 NNQM

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 03:51 PM

I remember I bought my first hero mech - the Misery, and tried to find some background information about this variant. Needless to say I found none for a great discourage. That disapoints a lot, I daresay. Still hope things would change one day.

#37 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 23 October 2014 - 11:37 PM

View PostNNQM, on 23 October 2014 - 03:51 PM, said:

I remember I bought my first hero mech - the Misery, and tried to find some background information about this variant. Needless to say I found none for a great discourage. That disapoints a lot, I daresay. Still hope things would change one day.

The Misery is really a good example - without the knowlege of the Novels - you may mistake it simple for a name - maybe you search on Sarna and find a name of a planet and some informations about the battle on this planet.

But you don't get a goose-flesh when you thinking about Misery - the near defeat of the Wolf Dragoons, a story of friendship, treachery and revenge.... and of course you may never have read the scenario 9 from the Battlepack 4th Succession wars - "At The Gate Of Hell." with a short introduction.

Almost every Mech in BT - with exception of some newer ones - may have a story - some need time to dig out - others have to be written.
I think its more important to inject in each player the "story" of his Mech - for the beginning it would be awesome to have dirty cockpits - heck make "cockpit camo pattern" a premium item - i will gladly pay some MCs for a broken monitor - a scratch on the transparent cockpit armor (no glas - so glas effect is wrong) - stainded blood at the cockpit floor..... rubber band and tape at some cockpit items. The picture of a child or a family - instead of ice cream or else would be a beginning

#38 Sergeant Random

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 462 posts
  • LocationPeriphery

Posted 24 October 2014 - 12:19 AM

HELL HECK YEAH, FLUFF!

(Sorry for caps)

But somebody will have to pay for the writers and editors... And explain the return on investment to the accountants... Do they have the connections to find the right people for the job? In Canada?

Monetize the fluff? [Coming this spring! CW fluff pack! $80 for early access to battlemech stories and weapon descriptions! Neatly embedded as info buttons on the item icons! Also accessible via an Encyclopedia menu! $$$! Packaged with $50 worth of cbills and 2 months of Premium Time!]

Oops, did I just give them ideas?

#39 Funkadelic Mayhem

• Knight Errant
  • 1,811 posts
  • LocationOrokin Void

Posted 24 October 2014 - 12:54 AM

You can have some stuff....

Posted Image

#40 Javin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 519 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 01:00 AM

I agree with more fluff. Add more story. Many of us playing have played Mechwarrior for many many years. I bet you could get a number of volunteers to help out!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users