I've Got A Big Fluffy Favour To Ask, Pgi.

67 replies to this topic

#41 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 24 October 2014 - 01:31 AM

View PostLogan Hawke, on 23 October 2014 - 06:49 AM, said:

I bet you tons of us forumites would be willing to write fluff for small MC stipends per piece! :D

Brilliant idea. I'm a qualified writer. I would contribute for MC.

Edited by Appogee, 24 October 2014 - 01:32 AM.

#42 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 24 October 2014 - 02:07 AM

25 likes now! Half-way to make this a 'popular' post, which I'm pretty sure makes PGI obligated by Canadian law to do as we say. I've read that on the internet.

View PostSergeant Random, on 24 October 2014 - 12:19 AM, said:

Monetize the fluff? [Coming this spring! CW fluff pack! $80 for early access to battlemech stories and weapon descriptions! Neatly embedded as info buttons on the item icons! Also accessible via an Encyclopedia menu! $$$! Packaged with $50 worth of cbills and 2 months of Premium Time!]
Oops, did I just give them ideas?

Just in case you're not joking, I think this would backfire just like the golden mechs. Some people would buy it, the rest would be really, really insulted at the cash grab.

As others have said already, the fluff is there to make people more invested in the game, to make them want to follow the story unfolding in Community Warfare. Without the fluff, the articles, the news reports, the battle reports, biographies, the videos, there's not much that'll make people interested in the battle between different factions on a map they don't recognise.

Look at Star Citizen, where every event in the persistent universe will actually be a part of history. If you're the first guy to discover a planet, you get to name it. If you become the president of the biggest pirate fleet in the galaxy, you'll be a celebrity. Imagine if that were the case for MWO. Imagine if you could actually read some fluff article about, say, captain Adiuvo of the merc company known as House of Lords, or whatever. Of course, it would need to go through a filter. General Jazzbandit1313 of Clan Lowtax doesn't have the same ring to it.

But it'd be awesome if you could read about prominent units like Steel Jaguars on the MWO website, or in the UI. Player-based communities that acquired so much renown that they've become part of official MWO history.

#43 stjobe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 24 October 2014 - 02:45 AM

I seem to recall a previous discussion about using user-generated content in MWO (I think it was maps the discussion was about), where a PGI representative said something to the effect of "the legal ramifications of taking someone who's not employed by PGI and using their work in MWO is just too much of a hassle", so I wouldn't get my hopes up on that one.

I'm sure there's a ton of both willing and able writers out there, and I know I'd be willing to sign over any copyrights and future claims to PGI for anything I wrote, but that is just such a hornet's nest that it might just be easier to say no.

Hence why I suggested they use an intern - someone employed by PGI, making anything they do on company time property of PGI automatically.

Edited by stjobe, 24 October 2014 - 02:46 AM.

#44 Appogee

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 02:50 AM

View Poststjobe, on 24 October 2014 - 02:45 AM, said:

I know I'd be willing to sign over any copyrights and future claims to PGI for anything I wrote, but that is just such a hornet's nest that it might just be easier to say no.
It's a relatively simple matter. I wrote anonymously (under a non de plume) for a commercial magazine for 10 years. I donated my writing and they paid me in kind with a magazine subscription and other considerations. They got content, I got a little something to make me feel like my contribution was valued.

Win win win (publisher, me, readers).

#45 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 03:01 AM

View PostAppogee, on 24 October 2014 - 02:50 AM, said:

It's a relatively simple matter. I wrote anonymously (under a non de plume) for a commercial magazine for 10 years. I donated my writing and they paid me in kind with a magazine subscription and other considerations. They got content, I got a little something to make me feel like my contribution was valued.

Win win win (publisher, me, readers).

I've been a freelance writer too for commercial magazines (under my real name), and that indeed was pretty painless - I wrote, they paid me and published. Everything I wrote was my copyright; they just bought the rights to print it (once).

I'm just going off the vaguely recalled dev statement that it would be a mess, legal-wise, to include user-generated content. Perhaps I'm wrong - wouldn't be the first time :)

#46 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 24 October 2014 - 03:10 AM

Well they don't have to make a job.
Simple a contest.
For example write fictional fluff for the ENF-5P - or other wise
Winner get 1000 MC.

Write a battle report for twich video including Devs....1000MC

and so on. as long its not only one person that win all the time - there should not be a legal problem.

You can also give a wide area of topics - and the top 10 storys get 1000 MC or else.

#47 Appogee

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 06:37 AM

I'd be less inclined to participate in a contest. If I'm going to go to the effort of writing a compelling piece of fiction, I want to know it's going to be used at the end.

#48 Logan Hawke

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 504 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 09:16 AM

View Poststjobe, on 24 October 2014 - 02:45 AM, said:

I seem to recall a previous discussion about using user-generated content in MWO (I think it was maps the discussion was about), where a PGI representative said something to the effect of "the legal ramifications of taking someone who's not employed by PGI and using their work in MWO is just too much of a hassle", so I wouldn't get my hopes up on that one.

I'm sure there's a ton of both willing and able writers out there, and I know I'd be willing to sign over any copyrights and future claims to PGI for anything I wrote, but that is just such a hornet's nest that it might just be easier to say no.

Hence why I suggested they use an intern - someone employed by PGI, making anything they do on company time property of PGI automatically.

That was back in the IGP days. Russ recently mentioned in passing that user generated maps would definitely be something they'd look into now that they've pretty much got enough different types of textures and models for terrain types to make a library with that which can be utilized to make things.
So yeah, I think if we get their attention there's a definite chance we can come up with something together.

Edited by Logan Hawke, 24 October 2014 - 01:04 PM.

#49 Logan Hawke

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 504 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 02:01 PM

Bumping because fluff is delicious and awesome and we could really use some.

#50 WrathOfDeadguy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 02:44 PM

Extra fluff with a side of fries, please. Even a little 100-word blurb about the general characteristics of each chassis would go a long, long way (and probably help new players make better decisions)- throw in a good sized paragraph of background for each map and you've got a real winner. That's a reasonable workload for one writer to deliver if the timeframe is realistic.

#51 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 03:02 PM

View PostPS WrathOfDeadguy, on 25 October 2014 - 02:44 PM, said:

throw in a good sized paragraph of background for each map and you've got a real winner.

What, you mean like these already written fluff pieces about each map?

Yeah. That should be in-game.

IN. GAME, PGI, not only on your freaking website.

Edited by stjobe, 25 October 2014 - 03:04 PM.

#52 Logan Hawke

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 504 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 06:05 PM

View Poststjobe, on 25 October 2014 - 03:02 PM, said:

Those are actually pretty cool. Sad that I never saw them before. +1 for them existing, -.5 for it not being obvious.

#53 LawDawg

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • LocationOn the ATTACK!!!

Posted 25 October 2014 - 07:11 PM

Getting my slickers on! The waters getting deep in HERE!

<From alll the TEARS> Thats why the water is deep.

Edited by LawDawg, 25 October 2014 - 07:13 PM.

#54 Artgathan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 08:20 PM

Shameless plug, from the Operation: Broken Arrow anthology (available here: https://docs.google....dit?usp=sharing)

I'd be more than happy to do stuff like this for PGI (for MC or for free as an "intern" to get around some of the employee issues someone mentioned). I thoroughly enjoy writing and it'd be nice to spread my work to a larger audience.

Worst come to worst, I'd be willing to just re-type descriptions like the one Jobe posted.

(Also, I know the date is off - this event took place before PGI rewound the clock).

Posted Image

The fighting on Royal intensified this week as the Robinson Rangers Brigade's operational tempo against the DCMS mounted. RRB operations this week were spearheaded by elements from 2nd Regiment's Lima Company, who took it upon themselves to organize one of the most complicated missions that Operation Broken Arrow has seen to date.

The week began on April 3rd when a lance of battlemechs from 3rd Regiment's Black Company, composed of Sgt. Duncan "Volts" Campbell piloting a Catapult K2, Sgt. Willie "Zeige" Arsenault piloting a Trebuchet 7K and Cpl. Barega "Akagi" Singh in a Jenner D, and commanded by Ltc. Arthur "Artgathan" Dent piloting a Centurion A took to the field to secure Baker Site for the RRB. Their mission was a success, and the medium Lance was able to drive the DCMS from the area, securing Baker site to act as a Forward Operating Base for subsequent operations. During the attack Ltc. Artgathan's Cenutrion sustained critical damage, though five DCMS battlemechs were felled, and many more damaged, by Black Company.

Subsequently on April 4th, Ltc. Artgathan took the field once again, this time piloting a Jenner F in command of a lance composed of Major Ryan "Reneth" Rovnak piloting a custom Firestarter E, Sgt. Daniel "Requiem" M. piloting a Shadowhawk 2D2and Col. Legothos in a Wolverine 6R. The lance was deployed to harass DCMS forces in the vicinity of FOB Baker, the site secured the previous evening, so that the RRB could occupy the location and establish the FOB. During the fighting the battlemechs belonging to Sgt. Requiem and Col. Legothos were critically damaged, though this cost the DCMS forces an entire lance of battlemechs. Salvage crews are currently on site attempting to recover both mechs.

Then, on April 7th, Lima Company took to the field in the most complicated mission that Operation Broken Arrow has seen thus far. The mission was a raid, targeting a heavily defended DCMS Supply Depot 100 kilometers northeast of FOB Baker. To accomplish this mission, Lima Company divided into two lances. The first lance, composed of Major Brynar - commanding the lance from a Stalker 3F - Cpl. Ghost Rider and Rct. InocentKiller, both piloting Atlas D-DCs and Cpl. Marian "Mercenarie" Kol in a custom Victor DS, was sent to provide a distraction to allow a second lance to penetrate the DCMS Supply Depot. Major Brynar's lance inflicted heavy damage on the DCMS forces, drawing them away from the depot. The second lance, commanded by PFC. Leaky Walnut, piloting a Jenner F, and composed of Cpl. Curtis "HadleyHope" Hadley piloting a Locust 3S, and Rct. Marc "Kesmai" Curaitis and Sgt. KitCat - both piloting Spider 5Ds, was able to slip into the depot accompanied by the 452nd Infantry Regiment's Alpha Company and extract with large amount of DCMS supplies.

When reached for comment about the mission, Cpl. HadleyHope had this to say: "These fast mechs are great for reconnaissance so will you Assault guys stop using them for Gauss Rifle rounds! We had great planning for this mission, the heavy lance [Major Brynar's Lance] was extremely bold in engaging the DCMS forces and keeping them distracted while the raiders [PFC. Leaky Walnut's Lance] operated mainly unnoticed under cover of ECM. The heavy lance had inflicted so much damage on the DCMS that the raiders on their way back to extraction point we were able to finish off 5 enemy mechs."

Review of the Battle ROMs from the involved mechs has confirmed at least one kill for Cpl. HadleyHope's Locust.

The success of Lima Company's raid has increased RRB HQ's confidence in the feasibility of multi-lance operations, and they have suggested that Operation Broken Arrow is likely to see more in the future.

Despite this string of successes, the DCMS forces on Royal do not appear to be giving up the battle just yet. The RRB has received word of an impending attack on an airfield belonging to the 10th FedCom RCT in the vicinity of Baron's Harbor. If the RRB is not able to intercept this force they may lose access to the areospace support being supplied to them by the 10th FedCom RCT.

Reporting live from Royal, this is Joseph Fisher, signing off.

Edited by Artgathan, 25 October 2014 - 08:21 PM.

#55 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 01:11 AM

35 likes so far. Only 15 more likes until the OP is a bonafide 'Popular post', making us more powerful than Darth Vader could possibly imagine.

View Poststjobe, on 25 October 2014 - 03:02 PM, said:

I agree with that, but the fluff pieces written about this map is very ill-conceived and makes no sense at all. I mean... we've got about 10 maps that are supposed to represent the galaxy of the whole. Alpine and Frozen City are supposed to represent all the arctic climates on all the planets being fought over, Forest Colony is presumably supposed to represent all the lush forests and jungles and grasslands on all the planets being fought over.

It makes no sense at all to let each map represent a specific location and write up background for that location. Because why the hell would we travel to the distant volcano world if we were fighting over Solaris VII?

I really can't comprehend what led PGI to write that fluff.

But I would like to see in-game fluff about all the mechs, all the equipment, all the upgrades, etc.

#56 Logan Hawke

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 504 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 05:32 AM

Bumping again. I refuse to let this thread die. Gib glorious fluff plox.

#57 Demi-Precentor Konev

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 386 posts
  • LocationDnepropetrovsk, Galedon Military District

Posted 27 October 2014 - 06:33 AM

It seems like a bit of a no-brainer, yes? The setting and the lore is the only thing that separates MW:O from being a generic mech game like Chromehounds or Steel Battalion. I imagine a vast majority of the people playing MW:O are here because they already have prior experience with the MW/BT setting. Yet there is little in the actual game client that plays that up. And when you think about it, there is nothing in the actual gameplay that works off the lore. Faction icons are hidden in a scoreboard menu, all the camos are generic, the maps themselves are fairly generic. I don't get it. That sort of stuff adds charm to a game. That sort of stuff makes it easier for players to look past or at least not over-react to the game's flaws. Does PGI just need manpower to type this stuff up? Because I'll do it for free.

#58 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 03:09 PM

View PostArtyomBrusilov, on 27 October 2014 - 06:33 AM, said:

It seems like a bit of a no-brainer, yes? The setting and the lore is the only thing that separates MW:O from being a generic mech game like Chromehounds or Steel Battalion. I imagine a vast majority of the people playing MW:O are here because they already have prior experience with the MW/BT setting. Yet there is little in the actual game client that plays that up. And when you think about it, there is nothing in the actual gameplay that works off the lore. Faction icons are hidden in a scoreboard menu, all the camos are generic, the maps themselves are fairly generic. I don't get it. That sort of stuff adds charm to a game. That sort of stuff makes it easier for players to look past or at least not over-react to the game's flaws. Does PGI just need manpower to type this stuff up? Because I'll do it for free.

Yep, I absolutely agree.

"Choose faction" is basically "What are your favourite colours" at the moment.

#59 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 11:13 PM

Now that we have a new Community Manager (welcome, welcome), I thought it might be time to bump this thread again. Because we still needs lots of fluff in this game, but it seems like most of the devs in PGI are hard at work with game content like PVE, 4v4, Solaris, Tutorials, etc. Which is great!

But I don't know any progress is being made on the fluff. Is this something the community can help with?

#60 Satan n stuff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,508 posts
  • LocationLooking right at you, lining up my shot.

Posted 07 March 2015 - 12:30 AM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 22 October 2014 - 04:52 PM, said:

Absolutely. I've never seen a game that relied so much on its website to bring across the setting, the factions involved, etc.

That's standard for F2P games with an excuse plot, which is to be honest exactly what this game is right now.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users