Pnt-10K Panther, Will 127 Kph Be Fast Enough?

108 replies to this topic

#21 LordKnightFandragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,239 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 05:47 PM

is 127KPH fast enough? Paired up wtih the tiny ass scaling of hte mech? id say so.

#22 ImperialKnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 05:50 PM

I was honestly considering getting the Fire pack right up till the moment I saw the 250 rating cap. Sorry, speed is life in a light and 127 is not going to cut it for my play style

The impact of this is that the panther is going to get run down by Jenners and Firestarters, which I'll stick with.

The skinny hitbox, if it does have it, will only help against bigger mechs. A good light pilot will stick on your arse and poke your legs out

It's sad cause the Panther honestly had the potential to be another good Light chasis

Oh well.....

Edited by knightsljx, 22 October 2014 - 05:52 PM.

#23 Ultimax

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 05:51 PM

It's faster than the Badder.

#24 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 22 October 2014 - 05:54 PM

View Postknightsljx, on 22 October 2014 - 05:50 PM, said:

I was honestly considering getting the Fire pack right up till the moment I saw the 250 rating cap. Sorry, speed is life in a light and 127 is not going to cut it for my play style

The impact of this is that the panther is going to get run down by Jenners and Firestarters, which I'll stick with.

It's sad cause the Panther honestly had the potential to be another good Light chasis

Oh well.....

Crucial words "your playstyle".

Clan Lights were pre-judged DoA based solely on speed, too. Most Clanners know Clan Lights work well, just in a different role than most Speedster IS Lights.

Whether or not the Panther can similarly fill a support/guard role, etc like the Clanners, without Clan Tech? Well, that is the million dollar question.

But indeed, PinballWarrior Online is not the forte of the Panther.

Still and all, you can't really justify taking a 64 kph mech and making it as fast as the mechs that start at 120 kph. *shrugs*

#25 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 22 October 2014 - 05:54 PM

For context, the Cicada with a 280XL engine is the same speed.

Also, the Raven-2X and 4X was bad back when the cap occurred. I was hoping the Panther's engine cap was closer to 275 instead (at this point, I'm collecting another 275XL engine from the Shadowhawk sale). They are "workable", but they are primarily bleh for what they are.

With that said...

My heart says no.
My brain says "yes, with limitations".
I say...

#26 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 22 October 2014 - 06:22 PM

I run my FS9-H with a 255XL, AC5, 3xML and do fine with it. Play to the build's strengths, and you'll be fine.

But, yes, most of the time you'll be better off with a Jenner or Firestarter.

#27 Augustus Martelus II

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 476 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMontréal, QC Canada

Posted 22 October 2014 - 06:26 PM

View PostUltimatum X, on 22 October 2014 - 05:51 PM, said:

It's faster than the Badder.

and still i manage to survive and kill many mechs with it...speed is important sure...but if its slower...better make a mech than can give a punch as a light support mech.

Clans lights can make it so IS sure can too.

#28 Ultimax

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 06:31 PM

View PostAugustus Martelus II, on 22 October 2014 - 06:26 PM, said:

and still i manage to survive and kill many mechs with it...speed is important sure...but if its slower...better make a mech than can give a punch as a light support mech.

Clans lights can make it so IS sure can too.

Agreed.

And the Panther can have a 250 engine for 10x true 2.0 DHS as well as overall less heat intensive weapons - unlike the Clan Lights who are all stuck with very sub-optimal engines in terms of both speed and internal DHS.

#29 ShadowWolf Kell

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 06:38 PM

I run all my Ravens with the 275XL I yanked out of my SHD-5M and they work fine, but I also stick near friendlies and act as support.

For competitive play, Jenners and Firestarters for obvious reasons.

#30 BrockSamsonFW

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 75 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 07:06 PM

I'm assuming it's going to have small hitboxes and a ton of rotation and agility. I don't see any other way for it to compete with such terrible hardpoints.

#31 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 22 October 2014 - 07:06 PM

The question is if it will be quirked enough.

Edited by FupDup, 22 October 2014 - 07:27 PM.

#32 Rhaegor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 301 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL, USA

Posted 22 October 2014 - 07:25 PM

I am a light has to have ECM kind of guy. I bought the $20 for pre-order bonus premium time.

#33 Carrioncrows

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 07:45 PM

It's silly looking and doesn't bring anything to the table.

We needed another 20, 25 or 30 ton mech to help fill out some lighter chassis and yet we get another 35 ton mech in an already crowded tonnage limit. I can't help but feel disappointment.

Baring some amazing quirks best to simply move on. I can't even bring myself to "Want" to like it. Not with that silly cockpit.

#34 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 07:54 PM

View PostCarrioncrows, on 22 October 2014 - 07:45 PM, said:

It's silly looking and doesn't bring anything to the table.

We needed another 20, 25 or 30 ton mech to help fill out some lighter chassis and yet we get another 35 ton mech in an already crowded tonnage limit. I can't help but feel disappointment.

Baring some amazing quirks best to simply move on. I can't even bring myself to "Want" to like it. Not with that silly cockpit.

It's just weird enough that I can't tell if I hate it or like it.

#35 KingDavid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 154 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 22 October 2014 - 07:58 PM

We have some better light mechs already in the game than Panther

#36 Carrioncrows

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 08:00 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 22 October 2014 - 07:54 PM, said:

It's just weird enough that I can't tell if I hate it or like it.

Oh I can tell.

I love almost all of Alex's work, but the cockpit in the mouth is so clown comical cheesy that I am down right shocked it was approved. So many cool ways to do the cockpit and instead slapped a Go-bot make-over on it.

Nope, Nope..and Nope.

I'll hold my peace on it from here on out, but I am let down.

#37 Eddrick

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 1,493 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanyon Lake, TX.

Posted 22 October 2014 - 08:07 PM

I figured they would give it a low Engine cap. Now lets see if they add PPC quirks to it.

It doesn't have to be a Jenner in a different skin. Let it do what it was made to do.

Edited by Eddrick, 22 October 2014 - 08:14 PM.

#38 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 08:12 PM

View PostCarrioncrows, on 22 October 2014 - 08:00 PM, said:

Oh I can tell.

I love almost all of Alex's work, but the cockpit in the mouth is so clown comical cheesy that I am down right shocked it was approved. So many cool ways to do the cockpit and instead slapped a Go-bot make-over on it.

Nope, Nope..and Nope.

I'll hold my peace on it from here on out, but I am let down.

Eh. Join the crowd. Banshee was one of my Biggest let downs. Wolverine. The way he did the arms on the Jager. Happens.

#39 Kassatsu

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,078 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 22 October 2014 - 08:12 PM

The speed on it isn't that bad. At least it's not an Adder.

I'm sure it'll find a niche as a short-range fire support poker or something not unlike the Kit Fox, with better armor/speed at the cost of its ECM. At least it's not an Adder.

I mean, the Kit Fox has a niche, this will probably find one as a slower Jenner with more of a focus on FLD damage... The Adder is so bad it can't even find a niche. It's just there. EDIT: I feel I should clarify, I've tried just about every possible build on the Adder, it's just not worth using over other lights that are out there. I've done well in it, even in my swag "shoot me" variant (or is that particularly well? That one is amazing at baiting slower mechs into my teammates), but at the end of the day, no matter what playstyle I use on it, there's always something better for the job at hand.

It's also going to suffer from Griffin Syndrome: A few lucky shots and you're effectively disarmed. Except it would be like what, one lucky shot on a Panther?

I was kind of looking forward to the resistance pack as I never looked into the individual mechs in it before, but now? Eh. Existing mechs do everything these four can do and more, only better in every area. Barring some amazing quirks that specifically counter the fact that they can only really do builds that already exist on other faster or heavier (sometimes both) mechs, they're all pretty pointless. Zeus in particular is really just an Awesome/Battlemaster reskin, depending on the variant, but that's another topic.

Edited by Kassatsu, 22 October 2014 - 08:16 PM.

#40 IllCaesar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 08:26 PM

For the 10K, XL250, 2 AMS w/ 2t, ERPPC, 8JJ, near max armour. Certainly would be a hell of a way to annoy the enemy - eat up their LRMs at the top of their arc while taking PPC pot shots. Only possible on some maps, though, and would get demolished in a fight. More of a "I want to play but rather casually" build. More practical, drop the AMS (3 tons) and go PPC, 2 SRM4 w/ 2t, 2 JJs or PPC, 2 SRM2 (4.3 DPS for 2 SRM2 as opposed to 2.87 DPS for SRM4) and 6-8 JJs.

The 8Z comes with a LL, so that'll probably get LL quirks. XL250, 2 LL, 2 SSRM2 w/ 1t, second-line support mech to take shots occassionally and protect LRMboats from Lights. Alternatively, XL250, 1LL, 2 ML, 2 SRM4 w/ 2t, 2 JJ.

9R is the closest thing to a brawler. Could run 4 MPL, SRM6 w/ 1t and 2 JJs.

I don't see any glaring "This is unplayable" issues with the mech, even though its payload is in the right arm, but I don't see it doing anything that can't already be done with other mechs in the same weight bracket. It better have major weapon quirks to make it worth taking over the other 35-tonners. I'm thinking Tier 5 PPC/LL quirks, maybe SRM/SSRM quirks too. RA structure boost for sure.

Edited by MarsAtlas, 22 October 2014 - 08:27 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users