#261 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 27 October 2014 - 10:59 PM

View PostFrytrixa, on 27 October 2014 - 08:58 AM, said:

can't understand why they run this challenge till monday evening.

I had no idea there was an extra day, I stopped playing Sunday night. So when I read your comment I was just in time to get ONE MORE MATCH IN! It was a good scoring match, too, I'm happy. I at least make rank 15 in Locusts. =]

So I owe you one. =P

Edit: that game bumped me up to #14, so I really do owe you one! haha!

Edited by Tarogato, 28 October 2014 - 01:47 AM.

#262 Bezerkah

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 23 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 11:21 PM

If there is an actual title of "Top Pilot" for those that ranked first that would be awesome! Great job on this it was fun but I also missed dropping with my friends, I did however get to drop with them or against them at times during this event and those were really fun matches. There are a lot of great players out there and hats off to those that did well.

#263 LooseGoose7

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 24 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 11:24 PM

View Postshad0w4life, on 24 October 2014 - 09:25 AM, said:

Change the scoring system, make it about Match Score at end of round or something. Include in the Narc & Tagging etc etc.

This would solve the selfish friendly fire killstealing play. This weekend was ridiculous.

#264 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 27 October 2014 - 11:30 PM

It's over. Thank goodness.

Besides... "it's all for the telemetry" to justify the quirks.

#265 Vervuel

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 69 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 27 October 2014 - 11:30 PM

View PostGreenjulius, on 27 October 2014 - 12:04 PM, said:

I think PGI needs to use the result of the top scorers to determine if mechs need buffs or not.

Out of all the mechs, only 7 failed to have any pilot get over 2100 points.

Centurion, (2082) Commando, (2056) Dragon, (2082) Kitfox, (2083) Nova, (2048) Thunderbolt, (2074) Vindicator. (1977) The vindicator is particularly pathetic with a high of only 1977. The next lowest is the Nova at 2048.

Vindicator needs buffs. No disputing that. The Nova? I think we've already agreed it's a mech without purpose. The others need quirks badly. I personally play Kitfoxes, and find their lack of armor and speed makes them very high skill mechs. I can't see how someone would be able to get over 2000 points in it without dumping 20+ hours into the game this weekend. That's just unrealistic for most people. Perhaps that's why only 3 people have done it so far. I'll try tonight to push my score up from 1977. It'll take some crazy games to shift it above that mark. :(

My friend, Vindicator Jones, scored 2013 in Vindicators. Needs buffs, but really it comes down to pilot skill. Which is as it should be. Some mechs should be easier to play, leaving a difficult mech to the higher skilled people who derive pleasure from doing well in difficult ride.My two cents.

#266 _____

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 742 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 11:35 PM

I'd like to say that this is the best leaderboard challenge PGI has done so far. 390 total MC prizes and it also gives unloved chassis a place to shine. My only complaint is that it probably should be 3 days instead of 4. People have other things to do!

Edited by BlackhawkSC, 27 October 2014 - 11:41 PM.

#267 Dead Eyes

• Pip
  • Point Commander
  • Point Commander
  • 17 posts
  • LocationT.

Posted 27 October 2014 - 11:39 PM

2203 in a Battle-master for 5th place (as an LRM boat) :). Great challenge PGI!

Edited by Dead Eyes, 28 October 2014 - 02:53 PM.

#268 Kinski Orlawisch

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Galaxy Commander III
  • Galaxy Commander III
  • 2,282 posts
  • LocationHH

Posted 27 October 2014 - 11:43 PM

When do we greedy litle kids get our prices? (jump around)

#269 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 27 October 2014 - 11:44 PM

I tried alot on this Tournament and squeeked in at 7th with alot of luck and help from team mates. I seem to be doing better and better each tournament. Maybe next time I will try for top 5.

I am sure I could get top 5 if they gives prizes for every chassis and chassis variant. :)

Edited by Johnny Z, 27 October 2014 - 11:45 PM.

#270 Navid A1

• CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,932 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 27 October 2014 - 11:54 PM

Well... it was tough. Big salute to people in the summoner bracket. O7.

The amount of kill stealing... i mean... kill securing was on a whole new level.
No matter what you did there was always an evil stormcrow or an invisible cicada right at the moment of the kill... i get shudders from now on when i see them. Overall, it was...not fun.!

#271 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 28 October 2014 - 12:41 AM

Next leaderboard competition should be tonnage brackets! =]
Not sure sure if the IS and Clan should be separated or not in that case, since they'd dominate some brackets but not be represented at all in others. Hmmm.

#272 Musashi Alexander

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 213 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 12:50 AM

It was a hard slog...I found it hard to keep going on Monday. 3 days is enough

#273 MaxFool

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 339 posts
  • LocationHelsinki, Finland

Posted 28 October 2014 - 01:21 AM

I think that having assists in scoring just makes worse games. People try just to hit every enemy at least once, preferably as early into match as possible so the enemy does not die without you getting the assist point. Just do a sweep with laser, do some miniscule damage, and move on to doing same on other enemies.

Not very team orientated, and promotes bad playing style. In normal game, if I get for example 600 damage and get 12 assists, I think I have played a really bad game. Not because I didn't get kills, but because I have spread my fire all over the place. Doing that 600 damage and getting only 5 assists with 0 kills would be much better, meaning that I have actually focused on people and done real damage to the ones I have been firing at. Scoring should direct people to play better, it doesn't do that with any assist giving so much points.

If not removing it completely, you could modify it, like you get the assist only if you have done at least 10 damage. Or you could get points only if you did the most damage or if the damage happens at most 15 seconds before the target dies (promotes focus fire and actually trying to kill enemies).

#274 Joshua McEvedy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ogre
  • The Ogre
  • 491 posts
  • LocationDuchy of Oriente, Free Worlds League

Posted 28 October 2014 - 01:31 AM

View PostJimmyKerrigan, on 27 October 2014 - 05:48 PM, said:

To compete in this format you MUST win, have 3-5 kills minimum and a total of 12 kills and assists for all ten matches AND over 800 damage. Why? Cuz the top 10 guys WILL have that. If you aren't doing 800-1000 damage per victory and hitting double digit kills+assists then you shouldn't even be posting here.

Math.

I guess that you missed the part about where all the leaders in my chassis group stopped advancing too, Mr. Math?

#275 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 28 October 2014 - 01:50 AM

View PostVervuel, on 27 October 2014 - 11:30 PM, said:

My friend, Vindicator Jones, scored 2013 in Vindicators. Needs buffs, but really it comes down to pilot skill. Which is as it should be. Some mechs should be easier to play, leaving a difficult mech to the higher skilled people who derive pleasure from doing well in difficult ride.My two cents.

Not exactly, because those pilots will mostlikely start to play another better working chassis after the tournament again. Why using a hard chassis when you can carry whole teams in a tier 1 one?

Imho, the tournament made the game more fun. There were more chassis variety around. And what you call "kill securing" actually caused a lot of poeple to seek out for wounded mechs. Which did improved focus fire a lot. Matches felt a lot less chaotic.

#276 Silas Black

• PipPip
  • Star Commander
  • Star Commander
  • 24 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 02:01 AM

It was a great tourney, and I had a lot of fun playing. I was surprised how competitive the Battlemaster chassis got. I spent the first two days running a 400xl with 4 er large lasers and had my highest scoring matches in that; spent the last 2 days running 300xl and 4 lrm 10's and had about equal success. Saw plenty of friendly fire and team killing sadly, and had some of my best personal games end up not counting in losses but thats how the cookie crumbles. 2375 for 2nd in Battlemaster and 11th overall. WOOT

#277 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 28 October 2014 - 02:02 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 28 October 2014 - 01:50 AM, said:

Imho, the tournament made the game more fun. There were more chassis variety around. And what you call "kill securing" actually caused a lot of poeple to seek out for wounded mechs. Which did improved focus fire a lot. Matches felt a lot less chaotic.
I agree - part of the joy in playing a mech game is that you see so many different kinds of mechs, and not the same ones over and over. That said, most people will still in their SCR, DWF, and AS7-S this weekend.

And yes, I found that generally the best course of action as a light mech was to be constantly switching available targets on my radar and making a beeline for the most wounded one and hurting it until either it died or a more wounded one popped up on radar. Not quite kill stealing, but definitely being an opportunistic vulture. I did score quite a few solo kills on unwary assaults and other preoccupied targets.

#278 Silas Black

• PipPip
  • Star Commander
  • Star Commander
  • 24 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 02:04 AM

Also, the 20 points added for the win are likely just to keep the numbers in line with the previous leaderboard challenge formulas used for balanced comparison.

#279 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 28 October 2014 - 02:25 AM

View PostTarogato, on 28 October 2014 - 12:41 AM, said:

Next leaderboard competition should be tonnage brackets! =]
Not sure sure if the IS and Clan should be separated or not in that case, since they'd dominate some brackets but not be represented at all in others. Hmmm.

I think its fine in chassis, since this gives the best overview, if you make it tonnage brackets, well 55t SCR on the board. and not using a SCR is not an option. Maybe PGI can lower the prices a bit and make these tourneys more often, like every 3 month. Or sometimes just for some C-bills.

#280 o0Marduk0o

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,231 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted 28 October 2014 - 02:41 AM

So annoying when you have almost finished a guy and the LRM symbol appears and you know, some LRM boat is going to steal the kill.

They have to remake the whole scoring system to remove kill stealing habits. They now have top-dmg-done and solo-kill rewards, which could be used in the tournament formula as well. The fact that only winning matches count is BS, when the rest of the team is crap.
Furthermore we have leader boards for individual players based on match results for a team performance. This feels wrong.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users