71 replies to this topic

#1 Riverboat Sam

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Resolute
  • The Resolute
  • 209 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 09:17 AM

Some possible tactics once mech collisions are implemented:

1. If a light is circle strafing you just charge him. If he doesn't dodge fast enough you get to knock him down and blow him to bits as he writhes around on the ground. Yeah! If there is a wall or building nearby, just slam him into it, back up, repeat. Rollerball with Mechs!

2. A zombie mech now becomes a force to reckon with. Flank around behind with your zombie Stalker and, Ba Da Bing!, knock that damn Stormcrow flat on its' face. When he tries to get up just ram him again! Ha!

You may think this is just stupid, but ask any Army tanker about ramming. In WW II it was the first tactic the Sherman crews figured out they could use against Tigers. If they could get close enough to the Tiger they would ram it every time to immobilize it. Tankers today keep a pretty spread out formation so that they can support each other from close in threats. This is actually a completely valid form of vehicle warfare tactics.

Your thoughts?

#2 superteds

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 722 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 09:20 AM

stunlocks are dumb, and knockdowns used to be seriously dumb (dragon-bowling). hopefully whatever they implement is less dumb.

#3 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 14 November 2014 - 09:41 AM

View PostRiverboat Sam, on 14 November 2014 - 09:17 AM, said:

Your thoughts?

You have no idea how collisions and knock down is going to work. It could very well cause massive damage on both sides. And it could be that some mechs get to their feet much faster than others.

For the next few months, this forum is probably going to be filled with fearmongering posts about how collisions and knock down will ruin the game, based on the assumptions that it will be exactly what it once was. It's going to be really annoying.

<sigh>

#4 Bilbo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 14 November 2014 - 09:43 AM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 14 November 2014 - 09:41 AM, said:

You have no idea how collisions and knock down is going to work. It could very well cause massive damage on both sides. And it could be that some mechs get to their feet much faster than others.

For the next few months, this forum is probably going to be filled with fearmongering posts about how collisions and knock down will ruin the game, based on the assumptions that it will be exactly what it once was. It's going to be really annoying.

&lt;sigh&gt;

If it keeps the light pilots off my Atlases' toes, I'll concede the damage. It will be much more burdensome for them.

#5 DarthPeanut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 861 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 09:45 AM

It is going to be a very difficult mechanic I think to bring back into the game and honestly it seems like it will be extremely difficult to not have it end up just being exploited.

Edited by DarthPeanut, 14 November 2014 - 09:46 AM.

#6 Mitsuragi

Legendary Founder

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 311 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationOUT OF BOUNDS

Posted 14 November 2014 - 09:51 AM

View PostDarthPeanut, on 14 November 2014 - 09:45 AM, said:

It is going to be a very difficult mechanic I think to bring back into the game and honestly it seems like it will be extremely difficult to not have it end up just being exploited.

I agree it will be a difficult mechanic to implement in a fair and balanced way.

That said, there are zero reasons an Atlas shouldn't be able to kick a Spider, Commando, Firestarter, or other similarly small mech a goodly distance for a goodly amount of damage. This is a core mechanic in Table Top. They way you dealt with lights was by kicking their legs off and then blowing them to smithereens while they had to stand back up.

As for 'exploited', if you can't be bothered to position yourself correctly so as not to incur the wraith of a charging Dragon then you deserve to be thumped by him. I truly hope this will stop people from butt humping each other. There's nothing more annoying that positioning yourself to fire on an enemy and having someone block your way when you try to backup. I want to knock those ******* down with my Atlas so I can get out of the line of fire.

Edited by Mitsuragi, 14 November 2014 - 09:52 AM.

#7 CocoaJin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,607 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 14 November 2014 - 09:58 AM

Tackling is a valid tactic...but it must come with consequences. The risk of damage has to be significant enough to make tackling/ramming a last ditch tactic. At the same time, we have to consider the affects of having matches constantly devolving into MechCrash Derby due to the preponderance of accidental mech collisions during brawling circle jerks.

I hate to suggest it, but maybe we need to have collisions be an action...requiring a "press and hold" key function so it's affect and risks has to be activated by one of the mechs involved at the time of path intersect.

#8 BlakeAteIt

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 394 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 09:59 AM

Your thoughts?

"Tactica" is not the word you are looking for unless you are:
- Doing a Warhammer thing, using GW's trademark broken latin.
- Discussing two Byzantine manuals on strategy.

In English, we use the word "tactics".

#9 DarthPeanut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 861 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 10:01 AM

View PostMitsuragi, on 14 November 2014 - 09:51 AM, said:

I agree it will be a difficult mechanic to implement in a fair and balanced way.

That said, there are zero reasons an Atlas shouldn't be able to kick a Spider, Commando, Firestarter, or other similarly small mech a goodly distance for a goodly amount of damage. This is a core mechanic in Table Top. They way you dealt with lights was by kicking their legs off and then blowing them to smithereens while they had to stand back up.

As for 'exploited', if you can't be bothered to position yourself correctly so as not to incur the wraith of a charging Dragon then you deserve to be thumped by him. I truly hope this will stop people from butt humping each other. There's nothing more annoying that positioning yourself to fire on an enemy and having someone block your way when you try to backup. I want to knock those ******* down with my Atlas so I can get out of the line of fire.

I am not in disagreement with you as a frequent Banshee pilot. :D

#10 Viges

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 10:01 AM

collisions are implemented

If a light

cool story bra

#11 Glaive-

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 951 posts
  • LocationIn a cave

Posted 14 November 2014 - 10:11 AM

I honestly am expecting PGI to come up with some sort of fix for the stunlocking thing.

#12 Kiryuin Ragyo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • LocationNorth Korea

Posted 14 November 2014 - 11:12 AM

Time to shake the dust off Highlanders.

#13 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 14 November 2014 - 11:15 AM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 14 November 2014 - 09:41 AM, said:

<sigh>

I think that for the next few months, this forum is probably going to be filled with rose-tinted posts about how knockdowns will be the second coming of Jesus Christ and cure every ailment known to mankind, solve world hunger and poverty, and bring peace and stability to the Middle East.

It's going to be really annoying. <sigh>

#14 Scyther

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 14 November 2014 - 11:18 AM

IIRC, one of the issues back when we had collisions is that the two mechs would overlap for a sec or two, the screen would would do a bit of jiggle/flicker, then the two mechs would essentially 'teleport' a few metres apart. It was pretty hard to see what was going on as the 'collision' happened, and pretty much impossible to guess where the mechs would end up after the knockdown. So other than 'damage + knockdown' it was hard to make 'tactics' out of it - at least during the stage I experienced it.

#15 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 14 November 2014 - 11:26 AM

View PostFupDup, on 14 November 2014 - 11:15 AM, said:

I think that for the next few months, this forum is probably going to be filled with rose-tinted posts about how knockdowns will be the second coming of Jesus Christ and cure every ailment known to mankind, solve world hunger and poverty, and bring peace and stability to the Middle East.
It's going to be really annoying. <sigh>

This forum isn't exactly overflowing with rose-tinted posts already. It's not like every thread is singing PGI's praises, is it? I don't think I've seen a single person looking forward to collisions and knock downs without adding the caveat that it's probably going to be quite buggy at first, but I have seen quite a few people already crying about how Dragonbowl is back and they're going to laugh when they just stomp mechs in their XL400 assault mechs.

I think we can live with a wee bit of optimism.

<- No longer on the island.

#16 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 14 November 2014 - 11:30 AM

DFA.

I want.

#17 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 14 November 2014 - 11:31 AM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 14 November 2014 - 11:26 AM, said:

This forum isn't exactly overflowing with rose-tinted posts already. It's not like every thread is singing PGI's praises, is it? I don't think I've seen a single person looking forward to collisions and knock downs without adding the caveat that it's probably going to be quite buggy at first, but I have seen quite a few people already crying about how Dragonbowl is back and they're going to laugh when they just stomp mechs in their XL400 assault mechs.

I think we can live with a wee bit of optimism.

<- No longer on the island.

On the contrary, I've seen a much larger proportion of Forumwarriors™ asking/begging for "muh precious" feature back than the number of people who oppose it. You can see it play out in almost every one of the periodic KD threads that pop up (more people in favor than against).

In general, the amount of "optimism" here is higher across the board after IGP's removal from the picture.

PS: It wouldn't be Dragonbowling, it would be Timberbowling. Goes just as fast but with more tonnage and JJs...

#18 Almond Brown

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 11:34 AM

Forget Knockdown just add FCD (Friendly Collision Damage) for any and all contact. Like FF, if it kills a Team mate, -150XP. It would be cool to be able to push/shove a similarly weighted enemy Mech out of hiding and into a friends firing lane. ;)

Edited by Almond Brown, 14 November 2014 - 11:35 AM.

#19 Jacob Side

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 390 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 11:35 AM

"knock that damn Stormcrow flat on its' face. When he tries to get up just ram him again!"

THIS GARBAGE IS NOT FUN! We had it. Hence the References to Dragon bowling. Dragons could knock down anything and couldn't be knocked down themselves. It would cause massive rage quitting and huge barrages of every foul word you can think of to come flying on to comms.

Again knockdowns are not fun.

I'm all for upping the damage from collisions, but knockdowns can go the way of the dodo.

Edited by Jacob Side, 14 November 2014 - 11:37 AM.

#20 Spaismahn

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 11:42 AM

Hurray! More reasons for people to play nothing but heavies and assaults. That light queue has been in the double digits at times. Have to quash that immediately.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users