November Roadmap - Feedback

332 replies to this topic

#21 BigBadVlad

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 242 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 12:12 PM

oh boy, look out for more laser vomit... those 8 Small pulse laser Novas are going to be even more deadly when they close now...

And I'm just going off Smurfy stats here, but Impulse is a number representing screen shake right? If I'm right why on earth does the LRM5 have the same value (.30) as an LRM20?!? Screen shake and the on-screen explosions should be reduced alot for LRM5 and scaled up from LRM5 to LRM20. I'm not saying reduce damage but bring the LRM5 vomit effectiveness down.

#22 Connaugh

• PipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • 83 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 12:14 PM

View PostPaul Inouye, on 30 October 2014 - 11:54 AM, said:

Spoiler

Does this mean you don't have do be within the effective range of an ecm anymore to counter it?

And will this effect also work if you have both items equipped? As of now, it doesn't seems so (If the one year old forum search result still are valid).

Edited by Connaugh, 30 October 2014 - 12:15 PM.

#23 Daoa Hakoke

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 127 posts
  • LocationBehind you.

Posted 30 October 2014 - 12:15 PM

I have to say, I love the pulse laser changes. Now I don't feel so bad about my beloved Wubsome getting PPC based quirks, it will be even better if I keep it as a wub boat!

#24 Russ Bullock

President

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 909 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 12:15 PM

View PostNicholas Carlyle, on 30 October 2014 - 11:59 AM, said:

Can you please just make ECM do what it was supposed to do?

Change it to counter Artemis/NARC/TAG/BAP and let every mech mount it.

Then you can stop making stupid band-aid changes and PROPERLY balance LRMs by doing a ground up rework.

And lowering LRM damage is dumb as hell. Jesus.

Lowering LRM damage to lore levels I think is completely fine. As to ECM I feel this change to BAP is a nice change.

If we ever completely revamp ECM that is something that will take a fair bit of time after we have completed CW, so in the meantime I am not going to completely ignore any small tweaks we might be able to add.

Please be more respectful with your tone.

#25 Gauvan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 12:17 PM

I was already excited with the stuff I knew about and am even more so with the new announcements. I'm particularly interested in the BAP buff and am looking forward to how that will play out.

And a puzzler for the next two Heros...famous married couple...I'd guess Jupiter and Juno (as Zeus would be confusing) to tie into a Thunderbolt Hero.

Edited by Gauvan, 30 October 2014 - 12:18 PM.

#26 Bront

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 30 October 2014 - 12:17 PM

View PostKraftySOT, on 30 October 2014 - 12:08 PM, said:

Not much there really. Guess theres not alot of resources not devoted to the map or CW. Pulse laser changes are pretty minute, theyre already pretty good, just not the best choice in most situations. But they have their use. A buff is nice. My Wubshee thanks you.

But beyond the map...meh.

Was hoping for some more CW eye candy but I guess thats next tuesday or the week after.
BAP change means you may see more BAP enabled mechs, which is good from a variety perspective. The Pulse laser changes look very good, enough to where IS Pulse lasers will be more than just a fad, but not so much where they're clearly better than regular lasers. LRM adjustments are appreciated.

You're also dismissing quirks, which are huge.

#27 Russ Bullock

President

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 909 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 12:18 PM

View PostConnaugh, on 30 October 2014 - 12:14 PM, said:

Does this mean you don't have do be within the effective range of an ecm anymore to counter it? And will this effect also work if you have both items equipped? As of now, it doesn't seems so (If the one year old forum search result still are valid).

Yes I suppose there is more value now to carrying both - since you could counter enemy ECM's further out andn don't have to get inside their bubble. However if you only carry ECM you can still counter as before but just need to be inside the bubble as it is now.

#28 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 30 October 2014 - 12:20 PM

View PostNicholas Carlyle, on 30 October 2014 - 12:13 PM, said:

How the hell does it make sense? Because the giant group of derps in this game can't understand using cover?

LRMs are already TERRIBLE for actually killing anyone with a lick of sense.

This rock/paper/scissors bullcrap that the matchmaker does not account for is stupid.

LRMs need a total rework, ECM needs a total rework, these changes show they haven't figured that out yet. They want to pretend the communication is better, but communicating stupidity is not really any better.

What you're asking for is a large undertaking. What they've done is a small tweak that they could do easily. Saying they're ignoring the problem is short sighted.

Relax. Take a deep breath. Now go our there and blow stuff up with wub lasers.

#29 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts
  • LocationDusting off my Mechs.

Hmm, hero mechs used by a famous couple? Can't be the Snords, since we already have Rhonda's Highlander? Grayson and Lori, maybe, I don't remember what they were up to around 3049? Since it is a "couple", it won't be Clan heroes.

#30 Russ Bullock

President

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 909 posts

View PostBigBadVlad, on 30 October 2014 - 12:12 PM, said:

oh boy, look out for more laser vomit... those 8 Small pulse laser Novas are going to be even more deadly when they close now...

And I'm just going off Smurfy stats here, but Impulse is a number representing screen shake right? If I'm right why on earth does the LRM5 have the same value (.30) as an LRM20?!? Screen shake and the on-screen explosions should be reduced alot for LRM5 and scaled up from LRM5 to LRM20. I'm not saying reduce damage but bring the LRM5 vomit effectiveness down.

It is a per missile number so it makes sense

#31 VanillaG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,115 posts
  • LocationIn my parent's basement

Posted 30 October 2014 - 12:22 PM

View PostRuss Bullock, on 30 October 2014 - 12:18 PM, said:

Yes I suppose there is more value now to carrying both - since you could counter enemy ECM's further out andn don't have to get inside their bubble. However if you only carry ECM you can still counter as before but just need to be inside the bubble as it is now.

Are you saying that you are changing BAP to counter ECM when your mech also equips ECM? As of right now if both BAP and ECM are equipped you must set ECM to counter as the BAP functionality is disabled.

#32 Nicholas Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 5,958 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, DE

Posted 30 October 2014 - 12:23 PM

View PostRuss Bullock, on 30 October 2014 - 12:15 PM, said:

Lowering LRM damage to lore levels I think is completely fine. As to ECM I feel this change to BAP is a nice change.

If we ever completely revamp ECM that is something that will take a fair bit of time after we have completed CW, so in the meantime I am not going to completely ignore any small tweaks we might be able to add.

Please be more respectful with your tone.

No, you obviously aren't paying attention if you think LRMs should be at their "lore levels" of damage. Have you ever tried using an LRM 20? It's a complete waste of a weapon, LRM 15's are completely superior to them at every level.

The fact that you are factoring ECM into mech quirks SHOWS you know it's stupidly over powered.

The changes to ECM I outlined would be obscenely simple to implement, and allow you to properly balance LRMs.

Unless you are telling me ECM shutting off Artemis/TAG/BAP/NARC is difficult for Paul to put in?

#33 churchofjt

• Pip
  • Philanthropist
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 12:23 PM

View PostHeffey, on 30 October 2014 - 12:00 PM, said:

Hero shadowhawk and locust??

I was thinking those two as well. Of course, I initially thought Marauder and Shadowhawk and had to remind myself that some unseen mechs shall remain unseen.

#34 KraftySOT

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,617 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 12:26 PM

View PostRuss Bullock, on 30 October 2014 - 12:20 PM, said:

Could you do something about the time to kill on the explosion sprite though for the LRMs? Its at least 1.25 seconds and should be around .45.

That or make them more transparent.

Its A) not a very good looking sprite compared to many other newer sprites, and B.) its enormous and long lasting, for what is only a 1 damage missile. Collectively it still blinds you, but isnt such an eye sore/annoying.

Its the same sprite as for the SRM...acts the same, yet the LRM does half the damage. Doesnt make sense, and it cant be that hard to change.

Edited by KraftySOT, 30 October 2014 - 12:27 PM.

#35 Summon3r

• 2,291 posts
  • Locationowning in sommet non meta

Posted 30 October 2014 - 12:27 PM

wow awesome changes to pulse lasers and BAP!!

i can has a quirk pass on my poor Summoner ;)

and TEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!....... [color=orange]New Hero 'Mech's[/color] – Our next Hero mechs release will be a pair of mechs representing a famous husband and wife in two iconic old school mechs.

#36 Ens

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,088 posts
  • LocationGermany

View PostHeffey, on 30 October 2014 - 12:00 PM, said:

Hero shadowhawk and locust??

Grayson Carlyle and Lori Kalmar i guess? ;)

#37 BigBadVlad

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 242 posts

View PostRuss Bullock, on 30 October 2014 - 12:20 PM, said:

Ahhh... that occurred to me right after I posted. Well then it makes sense... I for one, do occasionally use LRMS either in a boat fashion or as a long range weapon in combination with others and wouldn't mind seeing that .30 number reduced a little, maybe .25 to start?

#38 Gauvan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

View PostRuss Bullock, on 30 October 2014 - 12:18 PM, said:

Huh, my understanding is that currently BAP loses the counter effect when paired with ECM to avoid having a mech able to both counter and disrupt at the same time. This would be an interesting change--not sure how it would work out. There'd also have to be a decision as to what happens when you double up on jamming. Might be simpler to leave it the way it is and disable BAP countering when paired with ECM.

Edited by Gauvan, 30 October 2014 - 12:29 PM.

#39 Nicholas Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 5,958 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, DE

Posted 30 October 2014 - 12:28 PM

View PostKraftySOT, on 30 October 2014 - 12:26 PM, said:

Could you do something about the time to kill on the explosion sprite though for the LRMs? Its at least 1.25 seconds and should be around .45. That or make them more transparent. Its A) not a very good looking sprite compared to many other newer sprites, and B) its enormous and long lasting, for what is only a 1 damage missile. Collectively it still blinds you, but isnt such an eye sore/annoying.

Russ obviously does not use LRMs enough to understand the changes that need to be in place.

Direct Fire needs to be upgraded, Indirect Fire needs to be downgraded, shake needs to be WAY lowered.

Remove ECM's stealth shield, allow it to cancel Artemis/TAG/NARC bonuses.

Done.

What they did here is dumb.

#40 Felio

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 12:32 PM

With the quirks coming out I wanted to take a look at Smaller lasers and Pulse lasers since there were quirks specifically dealing with them. The Small lasers just weren't following the same rationale when it came to a relationship between the other lasers as to range, this resulted in an increased range.

Very welcome changes to pulse lasers, but I don't see the small laser range buff in the chart. I actually see a range nerf for the IS SPL and C SPL.

IS LPL, C ERML and C LPL did get range increases, though.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users