Did You Know That Single Gauss Does Double Damage?

43 replies to this topic

#1 Wesxander

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 319 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 09:18 PM

Just played a game where I had lost about 10 points leg armor in spider. Single shot gauss took my leg off not 2 but 1 shot. It did over 30 points damage from one gauss. Some of you will say that's not possible. You have players in this game that somehow are getting x2 more damage per weapon fire than the players not using whatever hack they are using. Another thing needs addressing is the fact that those of us capable of running film during games have to stop and reboot the recording device every few games. Does PGI have some kind un written code against people want record the games so they can weed out the hacks and cheats faster? Gets really frustrating when cheats go un punished in game. Additionally people are sticking up for the cheats as well. Had guy claim that my leg was red. It was not I did check my armor when I started to snipe the enemy. This guy fire well outside any range to have lock ( range was 584 at the time I shot him and he turns around) and see me hits and does 30 points damage with one gauss. Then you got his friends claiming my leg was red when it was not. PGI should put in a game recorder in this game that doesn't lock up every other game. There is also people running around with 3rd party software that helps prevent heat shutdowns from over firing by limiting their fire rate in game. PGI needs to put GM's or PGI people back into playing the games with players. Hire some secret GM's to play in the games unannounced and catch those that are cheating. Compensate them with free time and perks. I am sure could find a few that might like doing that. You will find most the cheating starts happening late night usually 3 AM EST. Don't tell me people aren't cheating either some the damage some these guys do is well out proportion to their skill if they was in public match at cyber café with people looking over their shoulders. Firing at mechs with snap shot getting lucky hit is one thing. Shooting at range 584 doing double damage with single weapon fire is another. If I was recording the game sure would made no difference anyways gets tiring when people got stop reload their game recorder. Stop upload the video which takes forever. Then type out the report about what happened and how. I am sure some will come say he wasn't cheating was just bug in the code. At least fix in game recoding software, example MSI afterburner, so it doesn't lock up every other game, or put in your own game recording software that works.

#2 Aresye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 09:31 PM

They do about as much damage as not using paragraphs, which in this case, is a lot.

#3 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 04 November 2014 - 09:37 PM

Just a tip, any talk about cheating and they will close the thread.

Over all im guessing more of a bug than a cheat. We have a serve side code here you can tell the server anything you want but if it has you as 1 gauss then its 1 gauss.

If they're saying you had a red leg maybe you did or at least the server believe you did.

As for blocking recording i seen them ask for videos all the time. They want to see the videos of the bugs,or the team killers or anything that is a problem. Try using fraps it works good for me.

#4 Blakkstar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 249 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 09:38 PM

So you were standing still sniping in a Spider, exposed along enough for the enemy to pull targeting data on you and have a chat about it, and you wonder why you got legged.

#5 Lord de Seis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts
  • LocationEdmonton Alberta, Canada

Posted 04 November 2014 - 09:43 PM

View PostAresye, on 04 November 2014 - 09:31 PM, said:

They do about as much damage as not using paragraphs, which in this case, is a lot.

Lmao *claps*

#6 Dragomir Zelenka

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 168 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 10:19 PM

That wall of text one shotted my Atlas.

After, I put a gauss in my mouth to end my misery, but ended up blowing off my right torso instead of my cockpit. I blame the PUG.

Edited by Dragomir Zelenka, 04 November 2014 - 11:11 PM.

#7 Thorqemada

• 6,378 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 10:22 PM

I have seen a Guy 1-Shoting Mechs with a 1x Gauss+ 1x ERPPC...he did not hit every time but every time he hit it was a kill...

When you play enough games it will occur...

Edited by Thorqemada, 04 November 2014 - 11:10 PM.

#8 Eboli

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,148 posts
  • LocationCanberra, Australia

Posted 04 November 2014 - 10:28 PM

To be honest a range of 584m is not that far in MWO. All you need to do is put the cross hairs on the spot where you want to hit. It could be a lucky shot or from a person who is very good at using Gauss. And believe me, there are some very good people out there who know how to shoot Gauss at 900m+ at moving mechs.

There is also something called a Zoom module.

You didn't happen to have any ammo in your legs did you?

A tip from a light player - don't stop moving. Nasty things happen to stationary mechs and the legs on a Spider are one part that do not suffer from the magical hit boxes that most people do not like about such mechs.

Cheers!
Eboli

#9 Xarian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • 997 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 11:52 PM

Crit mechanics. Any damage that makes it through your armor gives the weapon a chance to achieve critical hits exactly the same as if you had no armor at all.

Example:
You have 16 armor. Gauss Rifle hits, does 15 damage 100% of the time.
You have 14 armor. Gauss Rifle hits, does 15 damage 58% of the time, 30 damage 25% of the time, 45 damage 14% of the time, and 60 damage 3% of the time.

#10 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 05 November 2014 - 12:19 AM

Best case scenario. It was lag, which can do funny things in games, not just this one.

Worste case scenario it was a cheat. Although damage isnt as likely as some kind of aim bot from one or more of the enemy team.

#11 Abivard

• Shredder
  • 1,935 posts
  • LocationFree Rasalhague Republic

Posted 05 November 2014 - 12:51 AM

584M is almost point blank range for a Gauss, Long range for a Clan Gauss with range module is 2100M, but if OP cant hit anyone at 584 no one can unless they are using Hax0rz.

#12 Mycrus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 05 November 2014 - 12:55 AM

View PostWesxander, on 04 November 2014 - 09:18 PM, said:

Just played a game where I had lost about 10 points leg armor in spider. Single shot gauss took my leg off not 2 but 1 shot. It did over 30 points damage from one gauss. Some of you will say that's not possible. You have players in this game that somehow are getting x2 more damage per weapon fire than the players not using whatever hack they are using. Another thing needs addressing is the fact that those of us capable of running film during games have to stop and reboot the recording device every few games. Does PGI have some kind un written code against people want record the games so they can weed out the hacks and cheats faster? Gets really frustrating when cheats go un punished in game. Additionally people are sticking up for the cheats as well. Had guy claim that my leg was red. It was not I did check my armor when I started to snipe the enemy. This guy fire well outside any range to have lock ( range was 584 at the time I shot him and he turns around) and see me hits and does 30 points damage with one gauss. Then you got his friends claiming my leg was red when it was not. PGI should put in a game recorder in this game that doesn't lock up every other game. There is also people running around with 3rd party software that helps prevent heat shutdowns from over firing by limiting their fire rate in game. PGI needs to put GM's or PGI people back into playing the games with players. Hire some secret GM's to play in the games unannounced and catch those that are cheating. Compensate them with free time and perks. I am sure could find a few that might like doing that. You will find most the cheating starts happening late night usually 3 AM EST. Don't tell me people aren't cheating either some the damage some these guys do is well out proportion to their skill if they was in public match at cyber café with people looking over their shoulders. Firing at mechs with snap shot getting lucky hit is one thing. Shooting at range 584 doing double damage with single weapon fire is another. If I was recording the game sure would made no difference anyways gets tiring when people got stop reload their game recorder. Stop upload the video which takes forever. Then type out the report about what happened and how. I am sure some will come say he wasn't cheating was just bug in the code. At least fix in game recoding software, example MSI afterburner, so it doesn't lock up every other game, or put in your own game recording software that works.

Next thing you will complain about is that people with no damage gets a kill...

http://mwomercs.com/...am-overpowered/

bugs exists cheats don't

#13 Fishbulb333

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 392 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 01:39 AM

A spider died? CLEARLY hacks, no other possible explanation.

Oh, btw, how did you manage to count the gauss rounds midair as they were flying towards you? Or see in every direction, making 100% sure no other enemy (or friendly..) mech was also shooting you?

A - Something other than a single gauss round hit you, causing the damage.

- sucks, sure, but it happens, keep moving, use cover.

B - Some previously unheard of hack observed by, and effecting only you is giving weapons 200% damage, 1 gauss round killed you.

- No evidence (outside of your own mind). Didn't happen. Keep moving, use cover.

#14 Christof Romulus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 898 posts
  • LocationAS7-D(F), GRF-1N(P)

Posted 05 November 2014 - 01:45 AM

View PostXarian, on 04 November 2014 - 11:52 PM, said:

Crit mechanics. Any damage that makes it through your armor gives the weapon a chance to achieve critical hits exactly the same as if you had no armor at all.

Example:
You have 14 armor. Gauss Rifle hits, does 15 damage 58% of the time, 30 damage 25% of the time, 45 damage 14% of the time, and 60 damage 3% of the time.

No... Xarian... that's not how critical hits work in this game at all... do people think this?

Gauss Rifles deal 15 damage - PERIOD.

If you have 1 armor and 15 internal structure left on your leg and a Gauss rifle hits that leg, your leg will survive that shot 100% of the time.

If you have NO armor and 16 internal structure left onf your leg and a Gauss rifle hits that leg, your leg will survive that shot 100% of the time.

Definition of "Critical hit" in Mechwarrior online:
Damaging or destroying components, systems, or weapons of a mech, without destroying a hit location (such as arms, torsos, or legs).

When you attack a player with any armor, there is no critical damage ever.
When you attack the INNER STRUCTURE of a mech - whether or not the damage is completely to inner structure, or if it is spill over, you have a chance to "Crit" the components in that location.

25% of the time, if the attack hit internal structure, you will hit a random component (such as a heatsink), system (such as ECM or BAP), or weapon (such as an AC 20) for damage equal to that of the weapon that dealt the critical hit. 14% of the time you have a chance at two such critical hits, and 3% of the time you have a chance to perform three such critical hits.

This equates a 42% chance to "crit" when damage spills into internal structure - and this damage CAN ONLY BE DEALT TO COMPONENTS, not internal structure.

Here, you can read more about this at your local library: http://mwo.gamepedia.com/Critical_Hit

#15 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,477 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 05 November 2014 - 01:51 AM

Critical hit.

#16 Dauntless Blint

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 408 posts
  • LocationPlaying other games.

Posted 05 November 2014 - 02:16 AM

View PostXarian, on 04 November 2014 - 11:52 PM, said:

Example:

I never knew....man gauss is powerful with a high end FCS computer, almost broken?

...edit...and then I read on.This is annoying when people put out misinformation

Edited by CorditeJunkie, 05 November 2014 - 02:21 AM.

#17 mindwarp

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 250 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 02:22 AM

I'm betting the OP looked at his death report and only saw one gauss rifle on there. It doesn't matter if you get hit by one GR, or by 64 GR, the death report will only show one. It tells you the type of weapon you were damaged by, not how many of them damaged you.

#18 Krivvan

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,318 posts
  • LocationUSA/Canada

Posted 05 November 2014 - 03:01 AM

Jesus, where do I begin?

Another thing needs addressing is the fact that those of us capable of running film during games have to stop and reboot the recording device every few games. Does PGI have some kind un written code against people want record the games so they can weed out the hacks and cheats faster?

Fraps, OBS, Shadowplay, and etc. all work completely fine with the game. You have a bunch of people that stream as well. This thing about rebooting recording software is clearly not a general problem. I've even used MSI afterburner before with the game without any issues.

There is also people running around with 3rd party software that helps prevent heat shutdowns from over firing by limiting their fire rate in game.

Why even bother using such software when avoiding shutdowns is ridiculously easy when you just memorize heat percentages? It would only ever help the most awful players. And it'd probably be a pain when you want to go over 100% heat. I stream a good number of my solo games and you'll find me constantly skirting 97%-100% heat just because I know exactly at what point I can fire all my weapons without overheating. I also screw up and overheat to death on rare occasions so it's obviously not be the work of third party programs (why would you even suspect that in the first place? it's not the kind of thing that would show up in a recording anyways).

Don't tell me people aren't cheating either some the damage some these guys do is well out proportion to their skill if they was in public match at cyber café with people looking over their shoulders.

What do you consider to be too much damage?

A lot of players that have very, very good results in matches with amazing aim stream their games. Damage up to 1200 for Light mechs isn't unheard of. There are recorded games of people doing that legit.

Also, 584 range really isn't that far. That's within the range mid-range Lights skirmish at. Plus when you have a bunch of stuff hitting your leg simultaneously it can easily immediately go down. And as mentioned earlier, if it was dual gauss it would still only have one "damaged by gauss" mention.

Edited by Krivvan, 05 November 2014 - 03:10 AM.

#19 Shlkt

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 319 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 03:58 AM

There is a low probability that a single Gauss rifle shot will do 21.75 damage. If you damage the internal structure and score a x3 critical hit then you'll get an extra 6.75 bonus damage to the internal structure of the mech, in addition to the 45 crit damage to equipment stored there.

The odds of this happening are 2.7% whenever internal structure is damaged.

#20 Alex Warden

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,659 posts
  • Location...straying in the Inner Sphere...

Posted 05 November 2014 - 04:09 AM

double gauss is displayed as 1 shot in the damage summary when you die...

23 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 23 guests, 0 anonymous users