• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 06 November 2014 - 07:28 AM

View Postnehebkau, on 06 November 2014 - 07:26 AM, said:

I can tell you quite quickly and easily why PGI is reluctant to put built-in VOIP in the game. Its not because its difficult or they don't have the resources. They don't do it because of the drama it causes. We know that there are a large number of "colourful personalities" in this game who let their choice of words get away from them. There are rules around how one conducts themselves in the game -- can you imagine how hard that would be to police in a VOIP system? PGI already had to put in chat filters because of the vitriol that some people spit in this game through the relatively slow process of typing. Imagine the gushing of hate if the impediment of thinking about what you want to type was removed. For this type of thing, VOIP is not only a can of worms, but flesh-eating radioactive worms.

I am much more "colorful" on Comms than in forum. :unsure: ;)

#42 Spawnsalot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 352 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 07:30 AM

View PostGyrok, on 06 November 2014 - 06:47 AM, said:

If everyone will have the mute button on...why have it?

Because, clearly, not everyone will have everyone muted. But as your friend here mentions...

View PostBelorion, on 06 November 2014 - 06:48 AM, said:

You forgot the mute all button, which mine would most certainly always be on. In fact it should be an option in settings to never be subjected to in-game voip.

An option to disable VOIP *should* be available to players if they so choose.

See? Options are great, they give people a choice. Just because *you guys* don't like VOIP doesn't mean other players should be denied the opportunity to use it.

#43 PappySmurf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 842 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 07:31 AM

nehebkau(For this type of thing, VOIP is not only a can of worms, but flesh-eating radioactive worms. )

This is total BS coms programs have been used in MechWarrior since 1996 so your information is false and you are naïve .

comms used in MechWarrior games

Roger wilco
Team speak
Ventrilo
a few more etc.

#44 Haxburch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 206 posts
  • LocationGermany / Düsseldorf

Posted 06 November 2014 - 07:32 AM

View PostCatintheHat, on 05 November 2014 - 10:13 PM, said:

I never understood why this game didn't have a stock standard, everyone can use, easy to access, doesnt require additional installing, everyone has it, in game VOIP from the start.

I have just returned from a little bit of a break and still nothing.

It's good and dandy for group players to use external VOIP but how do you expect to effectively communicate with other players in your team.  

It makes the game rather dull.  So much can be added to atmosphere with ingame VOIP.

It doesnt make any sense that such sophisticated equipment like Mechs don't include a two way radio.  Give me a fricken jam tin and a string.
I wont use it anyway ! I play for fun and to hear 12 mostly 14 yrearsold stranger in leet speak english will piss me off.

#45 PappySmurf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 842 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 07:36 AM

Haxburch (I wont use it anyway ! I play for fun and to hear 12 mostly 14 yrearsold stranger in leet speak english will piss me off. )

Hax you made me laugh all your going to hear on comms is a bunch of middle-old men bitching about there lasers overheating or there AC5's jamming. If there has been 100 actual new players stay in MWO for more than a month this last year I would pay you $100 usd.

#46 CygnusX7

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,803 posts
  • LocationA desolate moon circling a desolate planet

Posted 06 November 2014 - 07:37 AM

View PostHaxburch, on 06 November 2014 - 07:32 AM, said:

I wont use it anyway ! I play for fun and to hear 12 mostly 14 yrearsold stranger in leet speak english will piss me off.

Right, because every match will be all 14 year olds.
Most kids would prefer to be playing something other than MWO.

#47 Cerlin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 922 posts
  • LocationCalifornia or Japan

Posted 06 November 2014 - 07:37 AM

View PostCatintheHat, on 05 November 2014 - 10:13 PM, said:

I never understood why this game didn't have a stock standard, everyone can use, easy to access, doesnt require additional installing, everyone has it, in game VOIP from the start.

I have just returned from a little bit of a break and still nothing.

It's good and dandy for group players to use external VOIP but how do you expect to effectively communicate with other players in your team.

It makes the game rather dull. So much can be added to atmosphere with ingame VOIP.

It doesnt make any sense that such sophisticated equipment like Mechs don't include a two way radio. Give me a fricken jam tin and a string.

Because I dont want to listen to you? No offensive but I have never used it when it WAS in a game.

#48 CygnusX7

• 1,803 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 07:40 AM

Is it elder people around here who can't understand that VOIP can be turned off? I mean I'm 40 and I get it.
Narrow mindedness to the extreme.

#49 PappySmurf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 842 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 07:42 AM

OMG this thread is almost becoming a live chat lobby and everyone is having fun posting crazy stuff. Soon PGI will come in and lock the thread because there scared of LIVE CHAT LOBBYS and anyone having anyfun in MWO.

PGI employee #5 with a nerf gun.

Posted Image

#50 SneekiBreeki

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 358 posts
  • LocationI came here to laugh at you.(^・ω・^)

Posted 06 November 2014 - 07:46 AM

I for one would absolutely LOVE to have an integrated voice chat (complete with its set of mute buttons of course).

#51 topgun505

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,625 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationOhio

Posted 06 November 2014 - 07:47 AM

Yeah I've never understood why this didn't have built in comms on day one. A lot of the other games I play have had built in comms for years so it's not like this is a new technology. This is supposed to be a team game. Releasing it (even in beta form) without built in comms makes this feel half-baked, even today. Honestly, if it were me, I would have made this priority #1 more than a year ago.

#52 PappySmurf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 842 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 07:53 AM

Topgun505 I already gave you the answer why we don't have VOIP and a live chat lobby system.

MWO is so shallow of a game I can see why PGI used to make simple fishing games they don't have the mentality to make complex games.

#53 Captain Stiffy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 07:54 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 06 November 2014 - 05:27 AM, said:

and a single mute button on the pilots to solve all your little issues. Not an excuse to not allow others the option to achieve some teamplay in random groups and pugs.

Don't get me wrong I'd love to have better coordination but VOIP is not the answer to that - partially because half or more of players will just turn it off because they don't want it.

The answer to better coordination is better leadership integration, go here, do this, all with a single button push. Calling out focus targets would also be a huge step in the right direction.

As it stands orders totally block your vision on the map so nobody uses them. The whole entire map and command system needs to be completely overhauled.

#54 CygnusX7

• 1,803 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 07:56 AM

I believe a lot of people in solo drops would use it.
The immersion from people using it properly would enhance the game quite a bit.

Key for A B C lance comms, and key for team chat.
Press tab and select a specific player to chat with or mute.

Edited by CygnusX7, 06 November 2014 - 07:57 AM.

#55 PappySmurf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 842 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 07:59 AM

Captian (The answer to better coordination is better leadership integration, go here, do this, all with a single button push. Calling out focus targets would also be a huge step in the right direction.)

We tried back in Closed beta to have PGI put in a command system for the team leaders but the one we have turned into garbage and is never used . PC MechWarrior2-4 had a great lance system for PVE and most groups that played 2v2-12v12 league games used TS3 comms because voice was faster to give commands in a battle.

Edited by PappySmurf, 06 November 2014 - 08:03 AM.

#56 Captain Stiffy

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 08:10 AM

View PostPappySmurf, on 06 November 2014 - 07:26 AM, said:

FlashFlame(Son, you need to go play some quake or unreal tournament and remind yourself what exactly a twitch shooter is. )

Boy all I need to do is start MWO up and it reminds me enough of what a twitch FPS shooter in mech skins is like.

Sigh So much has been lost in this IP since 1996 even Lobby's League's Role-play 1v1-12v12 matches VOIP the list goes on .
MWO is so shallow of a game I can see why PGI used to make simple fishing games they don't have the mentality to make complex games.

This game is all about choices. It's the furthest you can get from twitch while still requiring skill.

#57 RG Notch

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,987 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 06 November 2014 - 08:11 AM

View PostSpawnsalot, on 06 November 2014 - 07:30 AM, said:

Because, clearly, not everyone will have everyone muted. But as your friend here mentions...

An option to disable VOIP *should* be available to players if they so choose.

See? Options are great, they give people a choice. Just because *you guys* don't like VOIP doesn't mean other players should be denied the opportunity to use it.

What if those people who don't want VOIP don't want PGI's extremely limited resources spent on something a large % of the player population will never use? I know based on these forum threads that I am not the only one who would instantly turn it off if implemented. I think it's laughable that people who play in PUGS are going to suddenly coordinate because of voice. If so then why does virtually no one even bother with simple chat. Ask for a plan in chat and watch all the responses along the lines of win. PUGS are PUGS people. PGI can't hardly produce anything. How many maps did we get this year? Any new games modes actually in game? They have to prioritize and this doesn't seem like a priority. Anyways people have been asking since CB and it's no closer, so keep asking maybe they will suddenly change course. I'm not worried about it happening anytime soon. Unless it's a premium time bonus, if they can sell it they will do it. Other stuff not so much.

#58 CygnusX7

• 1,803 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 08:13 AM

So its the year 3049 and there is no voice comms?

View PostRG Notch, on 06 November 2014 - 08:11 AM, said:

What if those people who don't want VOIP don't want PGI's extremely limited resources spent on something a large % of the player population will never use? I know based on these forum threads that I am not the only one who would instantly turn it off if implemented. I think it's laughable that people who play in PUGS are going to suddenly coordinate because of voice. If so then why does virtually no one even bother with simple chat. Ask for a plan in chat and watch all the responses along the lines of win. PUGS are PUGS people. PGI can't hardly produce anything. How many maps did we get this year? Any new games modes actually in game? They have to prioritize and this doesn't seem like a priority. Anyways people have been asking since CB and it's no closer, so keep asking maybe they will suddenly change course. I'm not worried about it happening anytime soon. Unless it's a premium time bonus, if they can sell it they will do it. Other stuff not so much.

It's laughable that you think people in solo drops wouldn't use it.
Lead by example and others will see how useful it is.

#59 PappySmurf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 842 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 08:15 AM

Captian (This game is all about choices. It's the furthest you can get from twitch while still requiring skill.)

Iam sorry Captain but I have to disagree IF!!! I could stat rewind back to 2000 and show you all 100 plus MechWarrior leagues with 1,000,000 MechWarrior players playing 24/7 7 days a week in-game and on the old MSN gamming zone in fantastic simulation action of Solaris and planetary battles everyone in MWO would go hey WOW that was how MechWarrior was played how fun.Why don't we have that in MWO?

#60 RG Notch

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,987 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 06 November 2014 - 08:21 AM

View PostCygnusX7, on 06 November 2014 - 08:13 AM, said:

So its the year 3049 and there is no voice comms?

It's laughable that you think people in solo drops wouldn't use it.
Lead by example and others will see how useful it is.

Yeah and my example would be to disable it. Don't have to worry about mouth breathers, no PTT boobs, screamers, children,etc. I play solo all the time, I understand what a PUG is like. I read their moronic chat, I don't need to hear it in my ears. Won't take a lot of experience with those boobs for people to turn it off and defeat the purpose and waste the effort. Again like I've said, been hearing this since CB and nothing so I'm not worried. You can keep trying but PGI has already back burnered it. Just make a command rose and easy peasy. Don't need to worry about language barriers, listening to idiots. Provides more than enough coordination for the people who play in PUGs. If you want real coordination, join a group. Don't expect a PUG to play like a group even if you give them the same tools.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users