Nerfing Timberwolf

307 replies to this topic

#241 chaas

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 111 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 11:08 AM

Doesn't have to be popular or part of the Battletech lore to be in a MechWarrior game. If it provides balance, and in this case it does, no other reason is necessary. BT purists can be upset, however it's common knowledge that throwing a tantrum on the boards because a decision that actually resolves an issue goes against your wishes doesn't get it reversed.

#242 Dagorlad13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 516 posts
  • LocationClan Ghost Bear Occupation Zone.

Posted 02 December 2014 - 10:01 PM

The TW does not need to be nerfed any further. With all of the quirks given to IS mechs, if you are not able to take out a TW with an IS mech, then it is a lack of skill on your part.

#243 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 03 December 2014 - 01:56 AM

View PostIronClaws, on 02 December 2014 - 10:01 PM, said:

The TW does not need to be nerfed any further. With all of the quirks given to IS mechs, if you are not able to take out a TW with an IS mech, then it is a lack of skill on your part.

and what if being able to take out a timberwolf is just a lakc of skill at the Timberwolfs pilot?

#244 Ridir Semii

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 499 posts
  • LocationPort Torture, Washington, USA

Posted 03 December 2014 - 11:47 AM

View PostIronClaws, on 02 December 2014 - 10:01 PM, said:

View PostLily from animove, on 03 December 2014 - 01:56 AM, said:

and what if being able to take out a timberwolf is just a lakc of skill at the Timberwolfs pilot?

both apply the same way

#245 Dagorlad13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 516 posts
  • LocationClan Ghost Bear Occupation Zone.

Posted 03 December 2014 - 05:28 PM

View PostLily from animove, on 03 December 2014 - 01:56 AM, said:

This can be applied to any mech, but the fact is that the TW, especially the S is not OP. The TW may be able to hold massive amounts of firepower, but most builds run very hot. Also, the TW has large hit boxes, especially when LRMs are equipped and it is less nimble than many other heavies.

#246 avgleandt

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 12:43 PM

If you wanted the Timberwolf to have jump jets, you should have released a new variant not nerf and old one. I paid money for specific hard points for this variant, for what I wanted now its useless, I don't see me getting my money back though.

#247 Repasy Cooper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,131 posts
  • LocationAlpheratz

Posted 02 May 2015 - 02:13 PM

View Postavgleandt, on 02 May 2015 - 12:43 PM, said:

If you wanted the Timberwolf to have jump jets, you should have released a new variant not nerf and old one. I paid money for specific hard points for this variant, for what I wanted now its useless, I don't see me getting my money back though.

Please describe your build. I'm pretty sure the TBR-D has the same side torso omnipods as the TBR-S, but minus the jumpjets. So unless you were looking for a build that uses only 2 or 3 jumpjets, I fail to see how the locked jumpjets destroy any build worth using...

#248 Uncle Totty

• The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 1,556 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSomewhere in the ARDC (Ark-Royal Defense Cordon)

Posted 02 May 2015 - 02:22 PM

View PostRepasy, on 02 May 2015 - 02:13 PM, said:

Please describe your build. I'm pretty sure the TBR-D has the same side torso omnipods as the TBR-S, but minus the jumpjets. So unless you were looking for a build that uses only 2 or 3 jumpjets, I fail to see how the locked jumpjets destroy any build worth using...

Sad thing is, the hole point of the fixed JJs was to stop missile boating.

#249 Repasy Cooper

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,131 posts
  • LocationAlpheratz

Posted 02 May 2015 - 02:40 PM

View PostNathan K, on 02 May 2015 - 02:22 PM, said:

Hehe, yea, it's rather funny to think about now that they released the D variant. The meta is always changing though, so I don't dwell too long on the implications of outdated fixes like this. They have continued the trend of locking jj's for omnimechs, which I find more interesting and realistic anyways. The whole idea behind omnitech is to have fixed, streamlined structures (arms, legs, torsos, etc.) that can be easily swapped to cut down on repair time. I view jump jets as a structural modification, like the engine, so it makes sense to me that they're locked as they are.

Also, removing jump jets from omnimechs designed with jumping in mind kind of takes away from the potential of the mech, imo. The Clans developed plenty of non-jumping omnimechs to make use of, so rather than obtaining mech A to play like mech B, just buy mech B. :P

#250 Uncle Totty

• The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 02:55 PM

View PostRepasy, on 02 May 2015 - 02:40 PM, said:

Hehe, yea, it's rather funny to think about now that they released the D variant. The meta is always changing though, so I don't dwell too long on the implications of outdated fixes like this. They have continued the trend of locking jj's for omnimechs, which I find more interesting and realistic anyways. The whole idea behind omnitech is to have fixed, streamlined structures (arms, legs, torsos, etc.) that can be easily swapped to cut down on repair time. I view jump jets as a structural modification, like the engine, so it makes sense to me that they're locked as they are.

Also, removing jump jets from omnimechs designed with jumping in mind kind of takes away from the potential of the mech, imo. The Clans developed plenty of non-jumping omnimechs to make use of, so rather than obtaining mech A to play like mech B, just buy mech B. :P

What if I want a non-jumping Omnimech, but the energy/ballistic slots I want are stuck with two fixed JJs?

#251 Repasy Cooper

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,131 posts
  • LocationAlpheratz

Posted 02 May 2015 - 03:43 PM

View PostNathan K, on 02 May 2015 - 02:55 PM, said:

What if I want a non-jumping Omnimech, but the energy/ballistic slots I want are stuck with two fixed JJs?

If by any chance you are talking about arming dual-gauss in the side-torsos of a Timber Wolf, meh... just get a MDD-C. You can do MUCH better than dual-gauss with a Timber Wolf, trust me. If you equipped dual-gauss on a TBR you'd have to sacrifice armor to load adequate ammunition for a public queue match, and stripping off armor from a TBR is sacrilegious! You'd be sacrificing more survivability than you can justify for a TBR. Thus, for dual-gauss I recommend taking a lower tonnage mech, the Mad Dog. You can do so much more with that extra 15 tons in your loadout... also, keep in mind that dual-gauss will not leave you with nearly enough ammo for Community Warfare engagements (unless you like to suicide). The dual-gauss Jagermech sacrifices a lot of speed to have sufficient tonnage space for the guns + the ammo. All Clan mechs have locked engines, so you just can't equip enough ammo for the build without sacrificing tons of armor (and that will just get you killed quick enough to earn the award for Most Useless Player). With the exception of the MDD-C and the Dire Whale, I recommend not going gauss crazy, as far as Clan mechs go... it seriously ruins the potential of the mech.

Edited by Repasy, 02 May 2015 - 03:44 PM.

#252 Uncle Totty

• The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 03:56 PM

View PostRepasy, on 02 May 2015 - 03:43 PM, said:

If by any chance you are talking about arming dual-gauss in the side-torsos of a Timber Wolf, meh... just get a MDD-C. You can do MUCH better than dual-gauss with a Timber Wolf, trust me. If you equipped dual-gauss on a TBR you'd have to sacrifice armor to load adequate ammunition for a public queue match, and stripping off armor from a TBR is sacrilegious! You'd be sacrificing more survivability than you can justify for a TBR. Thus, for dual-gauss I recommend taking a lower tonnage mech, the Mad Dog. You can do so much more with that extra 15 tons in your loadout... also, keep in mind that dual-gauss will not leave you with nearly enough ammo for Community Warfare engagements (unless you like to suicide). The dual-gauss Jagermech sacrifices a lot of speed to have sufficient tonnage space for the guns + the ammo. All Clan mechs have locked engines, so you just can't equip enough ammo for the build without sacrificing tons of armor (and that will just get you killed quick enough to earn the award for Most Useless Player). With the exception of the MDD-C and the Dire Whale, I recommend not going gauss crazy, as far as Clan mechs go... it seriously ruins the potential of the mech.

I am not talking about cookie-cutter meta builds used by reddit warriors.

I am talking about cool builds like...

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...8c071c283267384

...just with out JJs.

Or...

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...15333fc1a520304

...again, with out the JJs.

Hell. Even THIS ball of crazy.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...93a076b139c8bd9

Edited by Nathan K, 02 May 2015 - 05:15 PM.

#253 Widowmaker1981

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 5,031 posts
  • LocationAt the other end of the pretty lights.

Posted 05 May 2015 - 06:11 AM

View PostRepasy, on 02 May 2015 - 03:43 PM, said:

The Mad Dog cant do dual gauss either dude. It has the serious and unfixable issue of not enough ammo

The Timber actually does it a lot better, but its still not ideal imo

If you want twin gauss on a clan mech then wait for the Ebon Jaguar. It can actually do it with enough ammo to be useful.

Edited by Widowmaker1981, 05 May 2015 - 06:15 AM.

#254 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 05 May 2015 - 06:26 PM

View PostWidowmaker1981, on 05 May 2015 - 06:11 AM, said:

The Mad Dog cant do dual gauss either dude. It has the serious and unfixable issue of not enough ammo

The Timber actually does it a lot better, but its still not ideal imo

If you want twin gauss on a clan mech then wait for the Ebon Jaguar. It can actually do it with enough ammo to be useful.

Technically the Warhawk can do it (with about 7.5 tons of ammo, at max armor, but no back up weapons)

So far, the best clan mech at dual gauss has been the DWF, in my opinion. It's just that for dual gauss you are going to be purely sniping, and almost all (there are a couple of exceptions) clan ballistic hardpoints are low, sometimes too low for effective sniping. The Ebon Jaguar might be able to fix that, what with it being 2 inches high anyways.

#255 Repasy Cooper

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,131 posts
  • LocationAlpheratz

Posted 08 May 2015 - 01:06 AM

Welp, I have no problem getting 3 kills in a MDD-C. High hardpoints are helpful, but not necessary.

And I only refer to MDD-C because honestly, you should NOT dedicate large tonnage to gauss sniping (with the exception of the DWF).

#256 TKSax

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,057 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 08 May 2015 - 06:17 AM

View PostNathan K, on 02 May 2015 - 02:22 PM, said:

Actually it was not. It was to deal with the Guass Dual PPC jump sniping build. That was able to run 1 JJ. After that did not work, they then nerfed JJ's and PPC speed. Now the side effect was it mad it harder to run 4 SRM6's or LRM10 or 15's, but no one really complains about Timber Wolf missle boats being op. Which of course was un-nerfed with the adding of the D Variant.

Edited by TKSax, 08 May 2015 - 06:18 AM.

#257 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,894 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 10:05 PM

They have continued the trend of locking jj's for omnimechs, which I find more interesting and realistic anyways.

It's not realistic because:
The entire point of OmniMech is to configure it exactly as you need it.
And of course it goes against BattleTech and its universe

The whole idea behind omnitech is to have fixed, streamlined structures (arms, legs, torsos, etc.) that can be easily swapped to cut down on repair time. I view jump jets as a structural modification, like the engine, so it makes sense to me that they're locked as they are.

You do not swap legs, torsos, etc. in OmniMechs - you only change weapons and equipment. Jump jets are easily swappable items (for example on the Timber Wolf), unless they are specifically hardwired to chassis and labeled as such (for example as on the Turkina).

And here you are completely missing the point (again).
OmniMechs have been designed so you do not have to buy 'Mechs A, B, C or D. All you have to do is to buy just one Timber Wolf and you reconfigure it exactly as you need it that given day.

#258 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 10 May 2015 - 10:10 PM

View Postmartian, on 10 May 2015 - 10:05 PM, said:

It's not realistic because:
The entire point of OmniMech is to configure it exactly as you need it.
And of course it goes against BattleTech and its universe

Martian, there are plenty of pieces that come fixed with omni tech. I think you might be misunderstanding some things. What comes stock with the pod is hardfixed, and can't be removed. For example, the JJs on the S config, for the purposes of this game.

#259 Hornviech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 206 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 10:20 PM

View PostMr White NLD, on 08 November 2014 - 06:17 AM, said:

LOL! ..I rest my case, its only 1 variant (omnipod) with fixed jj's! :lol:

And the Problem is that not implemented in the right way.
In this variant the JJs are removeable they are not supposed to be fixed.
That's the problem!

#260 Hornviech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 206 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 10:27 PM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 10 May 2015 - 10:10 PM, said:

Martian, there are plenty of pieces that come fixed with omni tech. I think you might be misunderstanding some things. What comes stock with the pod is hardfixed, and can't be removed. For example, the JJs on the S config, for the purposes of this game.

That is wrong!
According to the technical readouts you have fixed items these are shown in the base config but everything what is shown in the omnipods is removeable.
This is also stated in the omnimechrules.
PGI just changed the rules only for this mech because it is soooo overpowered.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users