When and What Brought YOU to MechWarrior? Your MW backgrounds here.

229 replies to this topic

#1 Stomp

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 345 posts
  • LocationLuthien

Posted 26 June 2012 - 01:35 AM

I want to see everybody's in depth backgrounds in this universe, because honestly this is one of the only gaming communities I've ever felt a little out of my element with, being a younger player. This is an older franchise, and people even a year younger than me don't seem to even know anything about it. I feel truly lucky to have been born when I was, and having a cool mom who purchased it when I was six to play with me. I could name all of the mechs in the MechLab in order until I was 11.

I've had a lot of time gaps from this franchise though, I have crap luck finding any of the BT novels ( I honestly only remember reading probably 2), my father wouldn't let me play MW3 or MW4 (Which I only recently played a year and a half ago, and loved). I'm not the sharpest on lore, but I like that because of the older playerbase there's not as many "LOL TROLLS".

So what brought YOU to MechWarrior? I like hearing about the TT games, because, or course, being younger means almost nobody in my generation and younger even knows much about them. I loved collecting the playing cards, even if I never had anybody to play with. I'm excited to play, because all my mom's old lancemates are now MY lancemates. It's good to be new blood. :(

#2 fire moth

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationHoly Lodis Empire

Posted 26 June 2012 - 01:44 AM

played mechwarrior 2 when i was 12? didnt really understand it very well at first, but then when the internetz was discovered i found heaps of material and lore and from there onwards i was hooked.

#3 MD9445

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 26 June 2012 - 01:48 AM

As per when I started, I would have to say when I was about 8 and Mech Warrior Simulator was at Navy Pier back in oh... sometime in the mid 80's. That's where I got part of my handle. After that, I grabbed the RPG books and pretty much learned the entire game by pen and paper. Still have them today, along with the damage sheets for battle tech and character sheets for mech warrior. After that, got WM2 and joined my first every online clan CDW (Clan Dragon Wing) and started with about 20 others a league to play for plants back in the olden days of MPlayer. I still remember having to aim 1 to 1 1/2 mechs ahead to compensate for lag. (Have I dated myself yet?) As per the books mentioned above, I've read and own, Legend of the Jade Phoenix (one of the best series for BT in my opinion), and Star Lord. I've read other, but those are the only ones that I have.

Edited by MD9445, 26 June 2012 - 01:49 AM.

#4 Firelizard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 607 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 01:52 AM

Mechwarrior 2 and the Battletech cartoon introduced me to the 'verse back when I was 16-17ish. Been here ever since.

#5 Stomp

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 345 posts
  • LocationLuthien

Posted 26 June 2012 - 01:53 AM

View Postfire moth, on 26 June 2012 - 01:44 AM, said:

played mechwarrior 2 when i was 12? didnt really understand it very well at first, but then when the internetz was discovered i found heaps of material and lore and from there onwards i was hooked.

haha, sounds like you got a bit more than I did. I just remember there was Jade Falcon and Clan Wolf, and I was complete **** at the game haha. So I'd let my mom pilot while I spacebarred to kill. It was simpler for me back then. :(

#6 Pavliko

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 39 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 01:55 AM

Ever since I was a kid I was a fan of huge robots(gundam, power rangers etc) but my parents used to make me play mechwarrior series because I couldn't understand it as a little kid... And yes, until I have found Mwo I didn't even imagine that there are other people that like mechwarrior....

#7 Dragonstrike

• PipPipPip
  • The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 83 posts
  • LocationYorkshire England UK

Posted 26 June 2012 - 01:55 AM

Mechwarrior 2 onwards
TT have at the moment 200 IS and100 Clan models

#8 Stomp

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 345 posts
  • LocationLuthien

Posted 26 June 2012 - 01:57 AM

View PostMD9445, on 26 June 2012 - 01:48 AM, said:

As per when I started, I would have to say when I was about 8 and Mech Warrior Simulator was at Navy Pier back in oh... sometime in the mid 80's. That's where I got part of my handle. After that, I grabbed the RPG books and pretty much learned the entire game by pen and paper. Still have them today, along with the damage sheets for battle tech and character sheets for mech warrior. After that, got WM2 and joined my first every online clan CDW (Clan Dragon Wing) and started with about 20 others a league to play for plants back in the olden days of MPlayer. I still remember having to aim 1 to 1 1/2 mechs ahead to compensate for lag. (Have I dated myself yet?) As per the books mentioned above, I've read and own, Legend of the Jade Phoenix (one of the best series for BT in my opinion), and Star Lord. I've read other, but those are the only ones that I have.

Only book I remember much about was one that revolved around a soldier of the Draconis Combine, and he later lost his leg in a hovercraft bombing, it described sex with his wife as awkward and loveless, and he was a pretty good archer. I don't even remember what mech he piloted, shame on me. I felt for that man, even at 14. My mom's ex husband was big into clans, I believe they met through MW actually, were in a Clan Black Jackal if I'm not mistaken. Anyway, my mom and I are both avid fans, although I don't think the mother is getting this one. Which is a shame, because all her old clanmates are my clanmates now. Nice. Navy Pier? Are you talking about playing in the pods?

#9 Arafinar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts
  • LocationCinci, OH

Posted 26 June 2012 - 01:59 AM

in the military, mid 80s on a missle site in Germany started playing TT got sucked in from there. :(

#10 Stomp

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 345 posts
  • LocationLuthien

Posted 26 June 2012 - 01:59 AM

View PostFirelizard, on 26 June 2012 - 01:52 AM, said:

Mechwarrior 2 and the Battletech cartoon introduced me to the 'verse back when I was 16-17ish. Been here ever since.

I never saw any of the BattleTech cartoons, had a couple toys of them though. :( Just the Bushwhacker though, and lord knows I understand only the bare essentials between the BattleTech/Macross fiasco. It's a shame Macross won't die already, I mean honestly, give us the unseen lol.

View PostPavliko, on 26 June 2012 - 01:55 AM, said:

Ever since I was a kid I was a fan of huge robots(gundam, power rangers etc) but my parents used to make me play mechwarrior series because I couldn't understand it as a little kid... And yes, until I have found Mwo I didn't even imagine that there are other people that like mechwarrior....

haha nice. Giant robots are awesome.

Also, I always realized there was a substantial fanbase, because of my mother's clans etc., but I never knew imagined there would be any of MY generation interested. Every time I talk about MW:O to my friend, he says something about Chrome Hounds. If I hear about reversible actuators helping to climb hills one more time I'm going to headbutt him.

Edited by Stomp, 26 June 2012 - 02:01 AM.

#11 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 26 June 2012 - 02:01 AM

Played the TT, read the readouts, bought a couple of novels, played most of the computer games (except the console ones). Pretty much it. :(

#12 Dozer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 02:01 AM

I suspect I was piloting an Atlas before some people here were born. I wish that wasn't true but I haven't figured out a way to stop time :(

#13 Stomp

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 345 posts
  • LocationLuthien

Posted 26 June 2012 - 02:02 AM

View PostDragonstrike, on 26 June 2012 - 01:55 AM, said:

Mechwarrior 2 onwards
TT have at the moment 200 IS and100 Clan models

...wait. There are MODELS? I thought it was just paper/dice? HOLY. My mind is blown.

#14 MD9445

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 26 June 2012 - 02:03 AM

Yes the pods. They still have them around too.
http://www.mechjock.com/
for those who remember this... Brings back some fond memories.

#15 Stomp

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 345 posts
  • LocationLuthien

View PostElizander, on 26 June 2012 - 02:01 AM, said:

Played the TT, read the readouts, bought a couple of novels, played most of the computer games (except the console ones). Pretty much it. :(

Yes, I avoided all the Crimson Skies/Mech Assault games, I'm only personally interested in MechWarrior titles, I'd only play them for the lore/background aspect.

#16 Arafinar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts
  • LocationCinci, OH

View PostStomp, on 26 June 2012 - 02:02 AM, said:

...wait. There are MODELS? I thought it was just paper/dice? HOLY. My mind is blown.

There are people who make thier living just painting Battletech minatures.

#17 Stomp

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 345 posts
  • LocationLuthien

Posted 26 June 2012 - 02:06 AM

View PostDozer, on 26 June 2012 - 02:01 AM, said:

I suspect I was piloting an Atlas before some people here were born. I wish that wasn't true but I haven't figured out a way to stop time B)

Assault was the only way I rolled in MW:4, my Templar was a monster. I was a coolant fool too, because of the Assault Laser, lol.

View PostMD9445, on 26 June 2012 - 02:03 AM, said:

Yes the pods. They still have them around too.
http://www.mechjock.com/
for those who remember this... Brings back some fond memories.

One of my mother's friends, who is now my friend I guess, actually is in a group who has I think 4 mechpods? And they get on and play with eachother. It's nice to see these things are still being used. :(

View PostArafinar, on 26 June 2012 - 02:03 AM, said:

There are people who make thier living just painting Battletech minatures.

I suppose the world of WH:40k and BattleTech diverge a bit then. It's cool to see nerds making a living doing what they love, it's incredible. :D

#18 Liktor

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 26 June 2012 - 02:10 AM

http://www.amazon.de...h/dp/3453038894

bought this when i was about 9. got hooked and bought every single book until nr 61,
guess which book is somehow missing now :(

#19 ManiacMachine84

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 24 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 02:13 AM

I played mechwarrior when i was really young and hated it....probably cuz i had never played games before and suuuuuucked. Picked up mechwarrior 2 when i was in grade school and loved it and its expansions. played the simpits at Virtual World in San Diego, CA, LOVED it. I even liked mechassault. Mechwarrior/Battletech is probably the only IP that i have come to on my own (none of my friends played it at the time) so i always end up buying any game that comes out with mechwarrior/battletech stamped on it just to ensure that the legacy continues to live on.

Edited by WillMan, 26 June 2012 - 02:14 AM.

#20 GodHammer13

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 100 posts
  • LocationMA

Posted 26 June 2012 - 02:19 AM

Robotech actually was like a gateway drug to MW, starting with MW2, I actually got my first job back in 96 just to build a computer that was capable of running MW2, and I spent hours upon hours playing it, I got so hooked on the universe that I would even hop on good ole AOL and play thier online Battletech on the free holiday weekends, while the family was eating turkey, I was getting my fix, oh those were the days

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users