When and What Brought YOU to MechWarrior? Your MW backgrounds here.

229 replies to this topic

#21 Stomp

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 345 posts
  • LocationLuthien

Posted 26 June 2012 - 02:25 AM

View PostLiktor, on 26 June 2012 - 02:10 AM, said:

http://www.amazon.de...h/dp/3453038894

bought this when i was about 9. got hooked and bought every single book until nr 61,
guess which book is somehow missing now :(

Aw, that really sucks, I'm sorry haha. I'm jealous, I've had the absolute worst luck in acquiring BT novels, I've only ever owned two. And those got lost when I joined the military and they lose my goods in the move. Saddest moment of my life is realizing they lost my Super Nintendo and everything I ever valued from my childhood.

View PostWillMan, on 26 June 2012 - 02:13 AM, said:

I played mechwarrior when i was really young and hated it....probably cuz i had never played games before and suuuuuucked. Picked up mechwarrior 2 when i was in grade school and loved it and its expansions. played the simpits at Virtual World in San Diego, CA, LOVED it. I even liked mechassault. Mechwarrior/Battletech is probably the only IP that i have come to on my own (none of my friends played it at the time) so i always end up buying any game that comes out with mechwarrior/battletech stamped on it just to ensure that the legacy continues to live on.

Haha, don't feel so bad, I played Ghost Bears when I was 6/7, and I remember one match I was in a Stone Rhino, and had depleted all my ammunition, had crippled and disarmed a Nova, and spent the next 30 minutes attempting to ram it because that was the only thing I could do. Saddest moment of my gaming career haha.

View PostGodHammer13, on 26 June 2012 - 02:19 AM, said:

Robotech actually was like a gateway drug to MW, starting with MW2, I actually got my first job back in 96 just to build a computer that was capable of running MW2, and I spent hours upon hours playing it, I got so hooked on the universe that I would even hop on good ole AOL and play thier online Battletech on the free holiday weekends, while the family was eating turkey, I was getting my fix, oh those were the days

That's awesome. Luckily for me I suppose, that my father was a bit of a tech nut, and our home computer ensured that MW2 was playable. I don't remember much of the original, all my memories are of the Ghost Bears expansion. I remember playing the mission where you have to fight the Draconis Combine, and you have to disable their Hatamoto Chi, and since I was young I didn't even know what legging was. I got so pissed as a child, haha, that mission will always stay with me.

#22 Taiji

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationUnder an unseen bridge.

Posted 26 June 2012 - 02:25 AM

Basically, big robots is what brought me to Battletech. As a little kid I would look at the cover of the box for the basic TT set, look at the technical readout books, ... and dream of awesomeness. I basically loved Battletech before I ever had a chance to play.

And then in my teens I found a group of mates played CarWars, which was an amazing game. I figured it was similar to Battletech and a couple of us tried it out. But they were'nt as into it as me... I was stuck playing with myself until I discovered Mechwarrior2 on the PC.

So I bought a PC, actually I convinced my dad I was going to be a 3d artist and he bought it for me - nice daddy, naughty me. It was a 486 dx2 66 with 8mb ram and I overclocked it to 80hz(!!!) to get better performance in MW2 XD ... Which I didn't buy at first, I admit. But I did spend 3 hours or so copying it down a serial cable connection from my mate's PC, so I guess I worked for it :D

Played it to death, as if I was training for riding a mech in later life... Which didn't pan out. But then when Mercs came out I was in heaven all over again. Personally it's the best game I have ever played. I have to think about what comes before when making an assessment like that - Nothing had ever come close to MW2 Mercs, and no game has ever had such an impact for me since.

I played the later Mechwarrior games but the control method became a crappy joystick only thing... Maybe 4 was better than 3? I don't remember, I just remember that 3 was a pile of **** due to controls and not progressing the 'mercs' side of things... Well it was probably OK but it followed the 'best game of all time', so I was harsh with it.

And so MWO might have been in for a slating from me, just for not being a logical evolution from MW2 mercs, just as MW3 had failed. But it's going to be completely PVP and with no joystick only bullshit - So it's not really a MW sequel as such, because there's no single player, but then the control method seems to appreciate my mousing skills, which will make the whole game seem more skill-based.

So anyway I'm extremely excited about MWO, and probably going to get the legendary founder pack as soon as my bank l2banking :(

Edited by Taiji, 26 June 2012 - 02:32 AM.

#23 Kelinium

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 31 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, TX

Posted 26 June 2012 - 02:27 AM

Don't quite remember when it was, think I was about 10 or so but oh well. Used to play one of the first releases of the original Battletech board game with my brother. Shortly after that I found the original Mechwarrior, packaged with the two other games of the time Battletech: Cresent Hawk's Inception and Battletech: Cresent Hawk's Revenge.

Found Mechwarrior 2 through my friend who had the ATI RAGE edition, then I bought the titanium trilogy when it came out. Too bad I can't play that on the new Operating Systems. Then of course I bought Mechwarrior 3 and it's expansion and kinda "liberated" Mechwarrior 4 and it's expansion from my brother when he wasn't playing much. Haven't really played much of Battletech or Mechwarrior for the past several years so I know I am a bit rusty. I'm hoping to get back into it though and catch up on what I missed.

#24 Stomp

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 345 posts
  • LocationLuthien

Posted 26 June 2012 - 02:29 AM

View PostTaiji, on 26 June 2012 - 02:25 AM, said:

Basically, big robots is what brought me to Battletech. As a little kid I would look at the cover of the box for the basic TT set, look at the technical readout books, ... and dream of awesomeness. I basically loved Battletech before I ever had a chance to play.

And then in my teens I found a group of mates played CarWars, which was an amazing game. I figured it was similar to Battletech and a couple of us tried it out. But they were'nt as into it as me... So I was screwed until I discovered Mechwarrior2 on the PC.

So I bought a PC, actually I convinced my dad I was going to be a 3d artist and he bought it for me - nice daddy, naughty me. It was a 486 dx2 66 with 8mb ram and I overclocked it to 80hz(!!!) to get better performance in MW2 XD ... Which I didn't buy at first, I admit. But I did spend 3 hours or so copying it down a serial cable connection from my mate's PC, so I guess I worked for it :(

Played it to death, as if I was training for riding a mech in adulthood... Which didn't pan out. But then when Mercs came out I was in heaven all over again. Personally it's the best game I have ever played. I have to think about what comes before when making an assessment like that - Nothing had ever come close to MW2 Mercs, and no game has ever had such an impact for me since.

I played the later Mechwarrior games but the control method became a crappy joystick only thing... Maybe 4 was better than 3? I don't remember, I just remember that 3 was a pile of **** due to controls and not progressing the 'mercs' side of things... Well it was probably OK but it followed the 'best game of all time', so I was harsh with it.

And so MWO might have been in for a slating from me, just for not being a logical evolution from MW2 mercs, just as MW3 had failed. But it's going to be completely PVP and with no joystick only bullshit - So it's not really a MW sequel as such, because there's no single player, but then the control method seems to appreciate my mousing skills, which will make the whole game seem more skill-based.

So I'm really very excited about MWO, and probably going to get the legendary founder pack as soon as my bank l2banking.

lol l2banking, poor you. :D I actually COMPLETELY forgot about MW2 Mercs, but I remember that trailer right now, aaaah, that was awesome. It was the same for me, the big robots for so glorified in my mind, the idea of piloting an engine of war and turning the tide of major conflicts always gets me. In fact, anything pivotal in this sense still gets me, it's the feeling of being part of something important.

Ahahaha 3d artist, sneaky kid. I was still stealing candy when MW2 came out, so it was merely blind luck that my family purchased it and I was even introduced to it.

#25 Stomp

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 345 posts
  • LocationLuthien

Posted 26 June 2012 - 02:33 AM

View Postsolemcleavu, on 26 June 2012 - 02:27 AM, said:

Don't quite remember when it was, think I was about 10 or so but oh well. Used to play one of the first releases of the original Battletech board game with my brother. Shortly after that I found the original Mechwarrior, packaged with the two other games of the time Battletech: Cresent Hawk's Inception and Battletech: Cresent Hawk's Revenge.

Found Mechwarrior 2 through my friend who had the ATI RAGE edition, then I bought the titanium trilogy when it came out. Too bad I can't play that on the new Operating Systems. Then of course I bought Mechwarrior 3 and it's expansion and kinda "liberated" Mechwarrior 4 and it's expansion from my brother when he wasn't playing much. Haven't really played much of Battletech or Mechwarrior for the past several years so I know I am a bit rusty. I'm hoping to get back into it though and catch up on what I missed.

I read about Crescent Hawk and them, apparently they set the stage for the lore aspect of most of the following games. It's awesome to see the history of all involved in such a large and old franchise, and it's so exciting to see where it's come to. I can't wait to hop in a mech and blow somebody's cockpit open with an autocannon, that feeling of satisfaction watching his mech melt and peel apart is just what gets me every time. I honestly can say that I hope to be able to purchase a couple more MechWarrior titles in my life. This is when MechWarrior comes together, in this modern age when sharing information is so readily available, this title is bound to bring in SO MANY new players to the franchise. It's bound to get only sweeter from here. :(

#26 Ghost Rider LSOV

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 272 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 26 June 2012 - 02:37 AM

I started with Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries, didn't get the other MW2 games, but I kept following and buying the rest of the series since then.

Haven't played the console games, MechCommander games or TT though.

#27 Philipe von Rohrs

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • LocationBrighton, UK

Posted 26 June 2012 - 02:38 AM

Had played a little TT when I was younger (about 8 or 9) but didn't really get into it until my first PC (a super duoer Pentiun 60!) came with MW2 and I was hooked. I found a cupla books and enjoyed the history so it caught me even more. MW2 led to MW3 and MC1+2 but I never really gelled with MW4.

Then I moved to Brighton and found a bunch of gamers well into the universe and have re-ignited my passion for TT (Tikonov Free Repulbic FTW!) and been playing since. Have written a cupla novellas just for fun and then struck gold in an Oxfam, picking up 43 BT novels for a tenner. Most awesome.

Iy's not as much the game that really draws me now tho, its the rich histiry and finely deatailed universe thats the kicker for me.

#28 Forscythe

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 02:39 AM

One of my great friends gave me a disk with Mechwarrior 1 on it. Been playing the other incarnations ever since. He got into the closed beta and told me MWO was a reality and I should check it out here. Damn NDA though he has been very tight lipped.

#29 Fingerhut

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 12 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 26 June 2012 - 02:40 AM

I started when BattleTech launched, table top, before the Clans even existed. When the story advanced into the Clan invasion, I got sucked into Smoke Jaguar, but always preferred to play IS with guerilla tactics and "dirty" fighting instead of the extremely powerful Clanners who were bound by equally limiting rules of engagement as determined by the "Batchall".

Clans are great when played like the Clans were intended... never seen it happen though. Min-Maxing always won out on that =/

So here I see a new dawn in the story, houses set up the way I knew, so I can also hit the reset button in my head and reboot the 8te Finsterwalde Husaren.

#30 Taiji

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts
  • LocationUnder an unseen bridge.

Posted 26 June 2012 - 02:40 AM

View PostStomp, on 26 June 2012 - 02:29 AM, said:

lol l2banking, poor you. :( I actually COMPLETELY forgot about MW2 Mercs, but I remember that trailer right now, aaaah, that was awesome. It was the same for me, the big robots for so glorified in my mind, the idea of piloting an engine of war and turning the tide of major conflicts always gets me. In fact, anything pivotal in this sense still gets me, it's the feeling of being part of something important.

Ahahaha 3d artist, sneaky kid. I was still stealing candy when MW2 came out, so it was merely blind luck that my family purchased it and I was even introduced to it.

OMG, you made me check out the intro on youtube:

And now I'm just tingling all over and dying to play it! ... Arrrgh!!! But I know it's not going to work! I need MWO now! :D

#31 Stomp

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 345 posts
  • LocationLuthien

Posted 26 June 2012 - 02:41 AM

View PostPhilipe von Rohrs, on 26 June 2012 - 02:38 AM, said:

Had played a little TT when I was younger (about 8 or 9) but didn't really get into it until my first PC (a super duoer Pentiun 60!) came with MW2 and I was hooked. I found a cupla books and enjoyed the history so it caught me even more. MW2 led to MW3 and MC1+2 but I never really gelled with MW4.

Then I moved to Brighton and found a bunch of gamers well into the universe and have re-ignited my passion for TT (Tikonov Free Repulbic FTW!) and been playing since. Have written a cupla novellas just for fun and then struck gold in an Oxfam, picking up 43 BT novels for a tenner. Most awesome.

Iy's not as much the game that really draws me now tho, its the rich histiry and finely deatailed universe thats the kicker for me.

That's awesome, nice to see it's not just the gamers that were brought in. I'm actually really ill-informed when it comes to any discussion of history or lore, I wish I could have gotten my hands on some TROs back when I was still younger, might just hunt them down anyway though :( My mother is the same as you, the mech combat for her was all well and good, but the political intrigue and maneuvering was what kept her coming back to the novels. Wow, 43 novels for so cheap, I'm almost insulted. Some people don't understand what they're missing, but maybe it was just a fan passing on some much-wanted materials. :D

#32 Stomp

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 345 posts
  • LocationLuthien

Posted 26 June 2012 - 02:47 AM

View PostTaiji, on 26 June 2012 - 02:40 AM, said:

OMG, you made me check out the intro on youtube:

And now I'm just tingling all over and dying to play it! ... Arrrgh!!! But I know it's not going to work! I need MWO now! B)

Woooooooooooooooooooooooooooow, hahahaha. I can't believe I ever forgot even for a second about this game. Good stuff right there, haha. That commander was hard boiled, let me tell you. HARD. CORE.

View PostFingerhut, on 26 June 2012 - 02:40 AM, said:

I started when BattleTech launched, table top, before the Clans even existed. When the story advanced into the Clan invasion, I got sucked into Smoke Jaguar, but always preferred to play IS with guerilla tactics and "dirty" fighting instead of the extremely powerful Clanners who were bound by equally limiting rules of engagement as determined by the "Batchall".

Clans are great when played like the Clans were intended... never seen it happen though. Min-Maxing always won out on that =/

So here I see a new dawn in the story, houses set up the way I knew, so I can also hit the reset button in my head and reboot the 8te Finsterwalde Husaren.

I hadn't even considered it from that point, because of my age I'd never considered that CLANS might have been only an addition. It was a welcome addition though. That's amazing, i think people getting involved and sticking with it through the years is so nice, I can't wait to do the same. :( I can't wait to be old and tell kids on the intrawebs about how hardcore I am. :D

#33 Ghost Rider LSOV

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 272 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 26 June 2012 - 02:48 AM

View PostTaiji, on 26 June 2012 - 02:40 AM, said:

And now I'm just tingling all over and dying to play it! ... Arrrgh!!! But I know it's not going to work! I need MWO now! :D

I reinstalled Mechwarrior 2: Mercs this week-end and it works (Windows 7 64-bit) with MechVM. :(
Although it might crash on some mission endings or get an error.

Edited by Ghost Rider LSOV, 26 June 2012 - 02:48 AM.

#34 BrannOrmm

• PipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 23 posts
  • LocationChesapeake Va.

Posted 26 June 2012 - 02:50 AM

Started out playing TT BT back in the 1980's, had both of the crescent hawk games, played them on the Amiga 500. Old they may be but i would still like to play for its turn base style, Missed out on MW2, didnt have room aboard the ship to set up a computer. By the time I was on shore duty again MW3 was out. Got MW4 & mer's. Now just waiting for open beta to begin. Come on Aug 7th.....

#35 Point Blank

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 109 posts
  • LocationCape Town, South Africa

Posted 26 June 2012 - 02:51 AM

When I was younger (Around just before Mechwarriors 3 came out) I started playing Mechwarriors 2.

It was confusing, exciting and just down right awesome. (I was very young)

I continued onto Mechwarriors 3 and eventually 4. By the time I got to 4 I knew exactly what was going on, it was a good feeling hehe. And more recently played a heck of a lot of Mechwarriors 4: Mercs. That was a fun refresher. Something to bring the taste of mechwarfare back before Mechwarrior: Online is released.

Now I am waiting patiently for my beta invite or for the game to be released!

#36 Stomp

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 345 posts
  • LocationLuthien

Posted 26 June 2012 - 02:54 AM

View PostBrannOrmm, on 26 June 2012 - 02:50 AM, said:

Started out playing TT BT back in the 1980's, had both of the crescent hawk games, played them on the Amiga 500. Old they may be but i would still like to play for its turn base style, Missed out on MW2, didnt have room aboard the ship to set up a computer. By the time I was on shore duty again MW3 was out. Got MW4 & mer's. Now just waiting for open beta to begin. Come on Aug 7th.....

Brace yourself, before you know it we'll be knee deep in nubcakes piloting Ravens with Autocannon 2s, lol. I ABSOLUTELY cannot wait. Hope to see you there, and no hard feelings when I blow you away, or vice versa. :(

View PostGhost Rider LSOV, on 26 June 2012 - 02:48 AM, said:

I reinstalled Mechwarrior 2: Mercs this week-end and it works (Windows 7 64-bit) with MechVM. :D
Although it might crash on some mission endings or get an error.

...intredasting.

Edited by Stomp, 26 June 2012 - 02:53 AM.

#37 Moe Camel

Rookie

• 4 posts
  • Location45 minutes due west

Posted 26 June 2012 - 02:54 AM

Hehe, must of been around '89. My first wife, and her sister, ran these crappy little D&D games in the basement of a church (of all places).

They used to get so sidetracked, so off on girl talk tangents, playing got to be a real bore. One day when she was getting D&D stuff at the local game/comic shop, I got the impulse to by some Battletech TT stuff.

From then on, D&D night consisted of the girls with their lame games, while I sat in a corner with beer, and ahem, played with myself, untill the group broke up in the early '90s.

True, Battletech by yourself can be rather meh, like playing yourself in a game of checkers, but it sure was a great bit better than those dang D&D games.

Being drunk helped of course.

#38 Stomp

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 345 posts
  • LocationLuthien

Posted 26 June 2012 - 02:59 AM

View PostMoe Camel, on 26 June 2012 - 02:54 AM, said:

Hehe, must of been around '89. My first wife, and her sister, ran these crappy little D&D games in the basement of a church (of all places).

They used to get so sidetracked, so off on girl talk tangents, playing got to be a real bore. One day when she was getting D&D stuff at the local game/comic shop, I got the impulse to by some Battletech TT stuff.

From then on, D&D night consisted of the girls with their lame games, while I sat in a corner with beer, and ahem, played with myself, untill the group broke up in the early '90s.

True, Battletech by yourself can be rather meh, like playing yourself in a game of checkers, but it sure was a great bit better than those dang D&D games.

Being drunk helped of course.

That's so sad, I'm sorry to hear you had to play with yourself. :D I'd have just read and read, and if I was clever find a penpal. :( Still, your love of the lore and the franchise itself just can't be questioned. And in the basement of a church. Slaying orcs. A HA! That's just rich.

Also, that's pretty **** that they wouldn't even play with you. :/ I mean, really.

Edited by Stomp, 26 June 2012 - 03:00 AM.

#39 miliardo

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 185 posts
  • LocationBelgrade

Posted 26 June 2012 - 03:03 AM

Well apart from watching mecha anime, played MW3 when i was younger..i don't know why but i love big robots :( :D

#40 Fl3tcher

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 26 June 2012 - 03:03 AM

Started playing Tabletop Battletech some 27 years ago. . (yes, I'm old), then all the PC games from Cresent Hawks Inception all the way to MW4 Mercs. I never bothered with MW:LL or the console for some reason, Watched the cartoon (cringe. . .) read some but not all of the books. I've never checked out Darkages or the Jihad series.

Right now I'm still involved in TT every week, fighting against the Clans and showing new players the ropes and introducing them to an awesome game.

Love it :(

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users