177 replies to this topic

#41 Virlutris

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,443 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationVery likely goofing off in a match near you.

Posted 29 October 2015 - 05:54 PM

It was only a matter of time before I was going to have to update this with ClanTech.

We've had the TBR-C(C) for a little while, some more new clan champs are being chattered about, and Russ teased us at the Town Hall with the information that the TBR Hero is awaiting its skin.

Expect to see entries for ClanTech begin to make their way into the lists. Also, I'm going to monkey around with a couple other entries now that I'm done with school for the forseeable future.

More to come: Stay tuned! ;)

#42 Virlutris

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 04:18 PM

Updated a few things in the lists, particularly under "What the remaining chassis need ..."

This includes the first installment of ClanTech, starting with the mechs that already (TBR) or soon will have (ACH, SCR, DWF) Champion mechs, as voted on by forum participants.

Also, added Urbie to that list, along with some notes here and there regarding the new Champion-building protocols.

Happy 'Mechin' :)

#43 Virlutris

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 10:30 AM

Updated "What the remaining Chassis Need ..." listing in the OP, to reflect the most recent Champion build winners, along with the Enforcer's Champion introduction which I probably missed while finishing grad school.

I wonder if it's time to stir the pot for the Locust, Commando, and Battlemaster Champions. The Commie, which has been around since closed beta I think, is the longest-tenured mech in the game without a champion.

The Locust and Battlemaster were part of the Phoenix Pack, which has been a while too, and can't be offered for sale again without some fairly vocal opposition. Getting them into Mastery Packs would allow PGI to monetize them further. "Plague Mastery" and "BattleMaster-y" packs just sound fun too, even if they're only my own informal nicknames ;)

Edit: Oops! I overlooked the Awesome, another beta-vet. (Insert joke here :P)

Edited by Virlutris, 18 November 2015 - 10:56 AM.

#44 S 0 L E N Y A

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 19 November 2015 - 06:20 PM

Sorry to take it a little OT, but why has PGI neglected Clan hero mechs for this long?

There is plenty of source material for them (and PGI, please stop making up no,n-cannon hero mechs period) so what gives?

I'm mostly IS, but that doesent mean I dont want to see them on the battlefield ( Timmy Pryde or DW WM would be tempting though).

Is PGI just lacking in resources?
Too lazy?
Inept?
Conspiring how to make the most money out of em?
All of the above?

#45 Virlutris

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 10:52 PM

Not really off-topic, after all Packs need Hero Mechs :)

Why? Priorities.

Russ basically said at a recent Town Hall that the Timber Hero's ready, except for its special skin. That's being prioritized behind getting full camo support for some older mechs. Once that backlog's caught up, they'll skin the Timber Wolf hero (wait, that sounds bad :blink:).

Glad you posted, because I was planning an update anyway. So ...

Update:
New from PGI, in anticipation of the Steam release: "Performance Packs"

Looks like I'm going to be adding some new content to the OP :) (edit, 22Nov2015: the Performance Packs are a Gift Store Item only. They don't appear to be available in the client for c-bills or MC. I'm going to put this on hold for a little bit. Most of the OP is based on relative values for MC, not necessarily cash. I'm gonna consider how/if I want to start dealing with gift-store-for-cash-only packs.)

Each Performance Pack has 2 mechs per weight class, with c-bill bonuses. I need to do a little homework on some of the details, but I think I can post the beginnings of those entries with relatively little fuss (ed, 22Nov2015) and when I've done enough homework, I'll decide if I'm going to do more than a brief entry in the OP.

Edit #2, 23Nov2015:
* Who was I kidding? Once I started considering it, I wasn't going to not put some kind of note in the OP, if for no other reason than the novel way the Champion (C) variants were repurposed in these packs, with 30% Special (S) c-bill bonuses instead of the regular Champion (C) 30% xp bonus.
* Performance Pack Lists are up. Later, I'll probably at least add the MC/c-bill costs for the things for which I can find corresponding values.
* Smurfy links will be added later to the Champion (C) variant, because that will show the build. If smurfy adds specific links for the Special (S) variants, I'll swap them as appropriate.

Edited by Virlutris, 23 November 2015 - 12:14 AM.

#46 Voras

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 131 posts
  • LocationMunich, GER

Posted 22 November 2015 - 02:57 AM

1st: Nice topic, gives a good overview.

2nd: Wouldn't it be a smart move for PGI to add at least the two ready-to-go mastery bundles (WVR and TDR) for the Steam launch? Does anybody know something about them?

#47 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 22 November 2015 - 03:23 AM

View PostVoras, on 22 November 2015 - 02:57 AM, said:

Wouldn't it be a smart move for PGI to add at least the two ready-to-go mastery bundles (WVR and TDR) for the Steam launch?

Wolverine...? Are you trying to cause new players to ragequit and uninstall?

I agree with the Thunderbolt. You could add Battlemaster and Shadowhawk.

Edited by Appogee, 22 November 2015 - 03:25 AM.

#48 Voras

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 131 posts
  • LocationMunich, GER

Posted 22 November 2015 - 08:37 AM

View PostAppogee, on 22 November 2015 - 03:23 AM, said:

Any addition, no matter the 'quality' of the mech, to the existing bundles is positive in my opinion.

And the Shadowhawk is already available as a bundle, and for the Battlemaster there is still the (C) variant missing.

#49 Virlutris

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 04:38 PM

View PostVoras, on 22 November 2015 - 02:57 AM, said:

1st: Nice topic, gives a good overview.

2nd: Wouldn't it be a smart move for PGI to add at least the two ready-to-go mastery bundles (WVR and TDR) for the Steam launch? Does anybody know something about them?

1st:
Thanks! :)

2nd:
I think so, yes. Also considering that 3 TDR and 1 WVR (6K!) make for a very credible CW dropdeck at the time of this writing (Incoming Nerfs!). It'll depend on the 3rd Wheel variant somewhat. (See below).

View PostAppogee, on 22 November 2015 - 03:23 AM, said:

'Bolt pack will be pretty serviceable, regardless of 3rd Wheel variant. However, I'd be rooting for the -5SS for 3rd Wheel, regardless of the upcoming range nerf being tested. (Play Test Server quirks here)

The 5SS "only" got a range nerf, which won't hurt it as badly as the heat-gen nerf on the 9S (25% ERPPC to 20% ERPPC). This is already virtually guaranteed to be the 3rd Wheel because of either playtime or ownership metrics, which seem to be the most solid indicators of popularity when determining why a variant gets picked as 3rd Wheel (there's more geekery for this in the OP)

(warning: stronger opinioneering follows)
I don't think that nerf to heat on the 9S was necessary for any reason whatsoever. It already ran more than hot enough to keep it in line. Even a buff to a net 30% less heat gen wouldn't have begun to make it OP, and would have made it pretty workable. The very first quirk pass gave us a 50%(!) heat gen buff, which actually was pretty game-changing. They were flat out dominant in CW matches, vs IS or ClanTech. This (ed: the heat nerf, that is) would have made it the least-favorable variant hands-down (in my opinion), except that for reasons that aren't readily apparent to me, the 5S received net nerfs on most quirks. I figure that 9S will get new meta builds, or collect dust for folks.

Adding insult to injury, the 5S (which was debatably the least-dominant variant) had its status cemented as least-dominant, getting heat-gen nerfs, range nerfs on the LL (from 25% total down to 15% generic on PTS), and a ML beam duration nerf (25% ML to 15% generic, probably a net benefit for LL-boat builds though). Then again, maybe it's too much for the 9S, and it sinks to the bottom of the chassis.

Regarding the Wolverines, yeah, that's gonna be a rough experience for a while:

The 6K(C) would have been the main reason to get the WVR pack. It's getting a whoopin' with the nerf bat, in the form of cooldown and heatgen nerfs. I'm not sure it's going to see much use after the patch (ed: certainly not as much), I think the meta's going to move elsewhere.

Quarantine seems like it needs something more, even beyond the PTS buffs. I'm guesstimating a build like this for it seems effective enough to grind out, anyhow. Edit2Add: Looks like the meta build for it eschews the single dakka point to pack 3LL on the arm witha couple of SRMs on in the torso. It's kind of a 6K/6R hybrid, so plenty of options ;)

3rd Wheel:
6R is a serviceable dakka-boat, but requires a fair amount of skill and situational awareness to perform well in. It's a "leaner" DRG-1N (tonnage, geometry, max armor values) with JJ-availability, for whatever that's worth.

7D is limited by its hardpoints and tonnage. MASC isn't enough in it's current state, but because lots of folks got the Loyalty variant and some may want the MASC novelty once it's available for c-bills, I consider it a darkhorse for the pack based on "ownership" numbers. IMO, folks will flip (in a bad way) if this one's chosen, because it still needs considerable help (UAC quirks good start, crazy missile cooldown quirks might help, but tonnage still strangles builds). I'm still trying to find a troll build that I can grind it out with (next up: UAC5+AC2 trollboat :P).

7K is sort of like a GRF-1N as a SRM6 brawler, but with less-favorable geometry and less assymetry (not a true "deadside").

I'm thinking that 6R (dakka!) or 7K (brawlin'!) would be the most favorable fit, but it comes down to popularity, according to whichever metrics PGI uses. Here's hoping 6R or 7K can carry hard in the mechbay and land the coveted 3rd Wheel status. ;)

View PostVoras, on 22 November 2015 - 08:37 AM, said:

Any addition, no matter the 'quality' of the mech, to the existing bundles is positive in my opinion.

And the Shadowhawk is already available as a bundle, and for the Battlemaster there is still the (C) variant missing.

Agreed. If they've got the pieces, it doesn't take much prodding to get PGI to put the Bundle together. Whether any prodding should be required is a step or two deeper into an argument that shouldn't have to exist, IMO. If you've got the pieces, why not release the pack. Why wait to monetize your product further? I don't see a reason, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Neither does it mean that we'll agree with the reason. ;) It's their call. That said, they're a little preoccupied with some of the other work in the upcoming patch. Maybe if we spam them a little, they'll cram it into the next patch.

Battlemaster and Locust (Phoenix Pack), Awesome and Commando (Closed-Beta Era) are the last 'mechs from the pre-Invasion Era to lack champions. They've all got Heroes, so we just need them to put up threads on the forums to propose Champion variants/builds for voting. Like WVR and TDR, once we've got the pieces, we can get the Packs/Bundles.

TL;DR: Yes to packs, WVR is gonna be rough post-nerf (TDR less funtastic, too). BLR, is a veteran 'mech who's overdue for a champ and pack (LCT, AWS, COM, too)

Thanks guys, I'm surprised I had this much to say. :)

Edit: fixed PTS link, also clarity

Edited by Virlutris, 12 December 2015 - 06:43 AM.

#50 Virlutris

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 12:19 AM

Updates:
* Added initial listing for Performance Packs under spoiler in OP.
* More later for these, including smurfy links for the variants, and MC costs for the constituent parts. SoonTM

Edited by Virlutris, 23 November 2015 - 12:19 AM.

#51 Virlutris

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 06:54 AM

Looks like I'll need to update the packs with their Gift Store prices.

Once I'm not out of pocket, perhaps. More than minor edits, from my mobile phone, are dicey ;)

I'm wondering if I'm goingto want to start monkeying with MC-cost-to-Cash-cost comparisons. I'll probably take advantage of the data in Raggedyman's linked post in the OP regarding MC and cash.

Edited by Virlutris, 12 December 2015 - 06:57 AM.

#52 Virlutris

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 05:21 PM

OP updated with listing for Gift Store price of each pack and link to detail page, along with a couple other housecleaning items.

Reminder: The Mastery Packs/Mastery Bundles are now listed on the Gift Store page at mwomercs.com.

I will continue to maintain this for the forseeable future. The Gift Store listing gives no sense of the cost or value in MC of each of the pack in comparison to other parts, or as a whole.

The spoiler buttons will continue to organize the MC cost and "savings" breakdown of each pack.

This is still a perfectly valid place to discuss the packs, no sense in letting it go. :)

#53 Virlutris

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 09:27 PM

Updates:

* Added WVR and TDR Bundles under their own spoilers, in advance of tomorrow's patch which will add them in-client for MC, and to the Gift Store for cash.
* Added link to DRG's Gift Store cash price, referring to the Heavy Bundles' combined Gift Store list.

Pretty happy, the "Maybe Pricing" for both of these was right on the money. Made the entry migrations suuuuuuper easy.

Kind of wondering whether we're going to get to vote on new Champion builds for the LCT, COM, AWS, and/or BLR before we see the Timber Wolf hero.

Okay, I'm not really wondering. I expect the Timber Hero to drop before we vote on Champion mechs for the final four IS mechs from the pre-Invasion Wave 1 era. I'd love to be surprised though!

I'm thinking it's a popularity contest these days that determines the next chassis to get a Champion. Much like picking the 3rd Wheel for a Bundle, it's likely a numbers game based off of ownership or frequency of play. By that measure, I'd expect some of the Resistance 1&2 chassis to see a Champion vote before the Commandos, for instance.

From the pre-Invasion crowd, I'm betting on the Battlemaster next. Commando and Awesome don't get a lot of love, which is why they've waited this long already. The Locust is kind of a niche market, but I think it's got the second-best odds. It's hard to tell how popular it really is, despite how vocal its fans are Posted Image

From the post-Invasion crowd, Vindy's going to be waiting a while, and the Enforcer's got one already, so Crab for Medium. I'd bet on Grasshopper and/or Mauler before the Black Knight or Zeus, and probably (sadly) the Wolfhound before the Panther (I like the Panther, I just think I'm in the minority).

For ClanTech ... my next guess for each class is Adder, Nova, Hellbringer, Warhawk.

Guess we'll see Posted Image

Ed2Add: The wild card here is when PGI makes the next call to add Champions. If they do it before some of the above are made available for c-bills, who knows how they'll play it.

Edited by Virlutris, 14 December 2015 - 09:32 PM.

#54 PinkJade

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 04:00 PM

Just doublechecking the nuts and bolts of how it works. Please correct me if i am wrong
1) select your mech
2) you pays your money

and then perhaps
3) you get a redeem code
4) punch in your code (or give it to a friend who does)
5) your mechs and stuff injects next time you log in

#55 Virlutris

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 11:27 PM

Depends on how you buy, but yeah, sounds right for the gift store.

I haven't used the gift store codes, but my wife has. What you're describing is accurate for what it was like for her.

Bear in mind that the other way to purchase these is with MC in the in-client store tab where you pick up mechbays and c-bill mechs too.

Happy Mechin':)

#56 Virlutris

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 28 January 2016 - 01:51 PM

Update for the current Champion build votes:

https://mwomercs.com...on-mech-builds/

In the OP, under the spoiler button for "What the remaining chassis need ... ," is a list that shows which currently in-game chassis need another component to qualify for a Mastery Bundle/Pack. (Needs updating to include no-longer-Unseen mechs)

You'll note that the LCT, COM, VND, AWS, and BLR all require a Champion (C) variant in order to put a pack together. They're all the longest-tenured IS mechs with no Champion. All have Hero variants. Looks like it's fill-in-the-blanks time ;)

I'm interested which c-bill variants will be selected by the community for the Champion builds, partly because I'm looking forward to speculating about the 3rd Wheel variant (the stock, c-bill, non-bonus-bearing inclusion) for each pack :D

For instance, if LCT 1E is the champ, I'm betting on LCT-1V for 3rd Wheel, and vice-versa. The 3M is also a likely candidate for 3rd Wheel if 1E is picked.

The LCT-1V has a lot of Phoenix Pack vairants still in play (unsellable special pack variant), and some troll-tastic quirking. 3M is another laserboat. Either makes sense. 1E should get in one way or the other. It's too good not to have the ownership/playtime numbers to get it in there if it's not selected as Champion.

Edited by Virlutris, 28 January 2016 - 03:05 PM.

#57 PaxMacharia

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 02:39 PM

Well the only thing I think needs improvement is to add a BNC statue to the mastery bundle :D
But seriously I have to say the packages are all worth their money if you can handle the mechs, try trails before buying one and regretting it afterwards or ask Senior members which they recommend.
I would never recommend someone to play a Wolverine or Dragon but there are players happy with them so whatever floats your boat I guess.

#58 S 0 L E N Y A

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 03 March 2016 - 02:37 PM

View PostPaxMacharia, on 07 February 2016 - 02:39 PM, said:

I would never recommend someone to play a Wolverine or Dragon but there are players happy with them so whatever floats your boat I guess.

The dragon I get... but the Wolverine?
Built correctly in the hands of a good pilot it is one bad mama jama

#59 Lupis Volk

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 2,126 posts
  • LocationIn the cockpit of the nearest Light Battlemech.

Posted 03 March 2016 - 03:10 PM

View PostPaxMacharia, on 07 February 2016 - 02:39 PM, said:

Wolverine is a great brawler.

#60 Virlutris

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 04 March 2016 - 09:44 AM

View PostBoogie138, on 03 March 2016 - 02:37 PM, said:

Built correctly in the hands of a good pilot ...

The Wolverine can be a little touchy, if you're not building it just-so, and playing it toward that build. As far as I can tell, it's always been a little finicky that way. It's still plenty capable though :)

This is doubly true in the Dragons, but I have fun in mine.

Of all the unanticipated things, the DRG-5N with a UAC, 2 ERLLs, and an XL335 looks really underwhelming on paper but manages to be a fairly reasonable quick-response ranged fire support troll.

Not OP, but fun in its role so long as you adjust you expectations accordingly. Just keep repositioning peeking, poking, and generally piling on from outer mid-range ;)

Edited by Virlutris, 04 March 2016 - 11:48 AM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users