Bad Game

70 replies to this topic

#21 Haydin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 151 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 09:48 AM

The trial mechs have some issues, but DO have full armor compliments. What's happening is that you're probably going head on at WAY too much firepower.

There are techniques, such as armor rolling and torso shielding, that you can use to soak up damage more:

Another problem might be you getting in a fight and not targeting the right locations. Another tutorial to help you single out weak spots:

While you're solo dropping, you'll also want to stay with your group. Don't chase an enemy too far, and try to figure out where not just your target is, but also where his friends are. If you overextend and push too far, I don't care WHAT mech you're driving - you can just get blown up.

Some of the trial mechs are pretty decent. The trial Jenner, Centurion, Hunchback, stormcrow, Timber Wolf, and Warhawk are all not half bad mechs.

#22 TripleEhBeef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 700 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 30 November 2014 - 09:51 AM

Something tells me this is an L2P issue. But I'll toss out some advice.

MWO is a team game. You need to stick with your allies if you have any hope of surviving the match. All too often I see new players in trial Atlases march right into the middle of the map thinking their invincible.

Newsflash, they aren't. Those poor new players always get ripped to shreds under a hail of PPC, LRM, and autocannon fire. They're dead within 10 seconds.

Assaults are NOT the best mech for a new player to start off with. When an Assault player commits to an engagement, he typically cannot break off since he is far too slow. Lights are the opposite end of the spectrum. With high speed but low armour, you need to have a very good sense of the map and situational awareness before you can do well with them. You aren't going to have that when you've just started.

Medium and heavy mechs are the best to run until you get a feel for the game. They are fairly well armoured and fast enough to pick their fights and retreat when things get too hairy. You will also learn how to use torso twisting and shield arms to stay alive.

The recommended trial mechas are IMO the Centurion, Hunchback, Cataphract, Stormcrow, and Timberwolf. The Cent has two beefy shield arms that can absorb tons of damage, but is focused on short range combat. The Hunch is a fairly accessible energy mech with good speed but will teach you heat management. The Phract is a solid all around IS heavy with good firepower and survivability. The Stormcrow is another fast energy mech with good heat management and speed, but trades the raw punch of the Hunch for better range. Finally, the Timberwolf is one of the all around best heavy mechs in the game.

#23 Zephonarch II

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 328 posts
  • LocationBack in the MWO and... its fun, but Nascar steamrolls still lame.

Posted 30 November 2014 - 10:51 AM

If you're dying a lot, let me give you a very helpful tip: TURN OFF ARM-LOCK. This makes your cursor more fluent with where yor arms are pointing, otherwise yes; it's up to you to understand the deep learning curve. Um, remember to use cover and not expose yourself too much or else you could wind up cored in your center torso faster than you know it, and stick with your team. It's pretty much military tactics from from therein.

And please don't fret about the Trials, they are not supposed to be flexible. They're just supposed to give you a sense about how each mech's playstyle's is like. Even though some, just have obviously terrible flaws.

At first, buy a heavy imo. They offer firepower, teach you all the basics of teamwork in MWO and generally are flexible in builds. However, Assaults are slow and thus terrible on new players because of the learning curve. Basically as an Assault you're supposed to deal the most damage, attract attention, but lead your team in a glorious charge of victory when your team is currently clutching the numbers game. Mediums, kind of encourage rushing and short range builds. And lights encourage sticking with your team, using your speed to flank, confuse, distract, and slowly destroy enemy components.

IMHO, start with a light or heavy, but ONLY after you learn the basics in this game. And turning off arm-lock just helps you learn faster how to focus fire on specific targets, and specific weakpoints on mechs.

It's all very complex, but that's war. You'll get it eventually. Here, go and spectate players (once you die) playing a good game. You should pick up hints as you play along. ;)

Edited by Zephonarch II, 30 November 2014 - 10:52 AM.

#24 TripleEhBeef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 700 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 30 November 2014 - 02:16 PM

View PostZephonarch II, on 30 November 2014 - 10:51 AM, said:

If you're dying a lot, let me give you a very helpful tip: TURN OFF ARM-LOCK. This makes your cursor more fluent with where yor arms are pointing, otherwise yes; it's up to you to understand the deep learning curve. Um, remember to use cover and not expose yourself too much or else you could wind up cored in your center torso faster than you know it, and stick with your team. It's pretty much military tactics from from therein.

And please don't fret about the Trials, they are not supposed to be flexible. They're just supposed to give you a sense about how each mech's playstyle's is like. Even though some, just have obviously terrible flaws.

At first, buy a heavy imo. They offer firepower, teach you all the basics of teamwork in MWO and generally are flexible in builds. However, Assaults are slow and thus terrible on new players because of the learning curve. Basically as an Assault you're supposed to deal the most damage, attract attention, but lead your team in a glorious charge of victory when your team is currently clutching the numbers game. Mediums, kind of encourage rushing and short range builds. And lights encourage sticking with your team, using your speed to flank, confuse, distract, and slowly destroy enemy components.

IMHO, start with a light or heavy, but ONLY after you learn the basics in this game. And turning off arm-lock just helps you learn faster how to focus fire on specific targets, and specific weakpoints on mechs.

It's all very complex, but that's war. You'll get it eventually. Here, go and spectate players (once you die) playing a good game. You should pick up hints as you play along. ;)
Also disable the Auto Throttle Down and Start in 3rd Person settings.

#25 Barkem Squirrel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationEarth.

Posted 30 November 2014 - 03:25 PM

View PostDIrty Crazy Harry, on 29 November 2014 - 11:43 AM, said:

I want to say PGI the mechs I play trial die to fast and you make no C-bill or XP after the bonus is gone 30k-100k win or lose just makes me want to uninstall your game. If the trial mechs die this fast with almost 100% armor then if I ever get to 15 million C-bills to by the mech I want im sure it is going to die just as fast in battles.

So I ask you fix the mechs to be tough and not die so fast so I can play in battles longer to gain more skill and make the C-bill and XP rewards enough so I don't want to uninstall your game.

Trial mechs? when I started we had a choice of 4 mechs; one light, one medium, one heavy and one assault. These were not the champion mechs you were using, but stock versions. There is a huge difference. At the time there was no cadet bonus and there was repair and rearm. So we did not make much with these to purchase our first mech, since they died even faster.

It takes time to learn this game. Then at that point learn some more. Even after all that learning we all still have those times where one second we have 100% armor and moments later dead. Some times you do not even know what or where you are being hit from. As in how much time it takes to learn, that depends on the player. To find a build that you are good at, test different chassis and builds and now with all the trial mechs available that is easier to do. Then find builds that you like to play. After that experiment with other play styles, since it makes you better know what other can do unto you.

#26 RazorbeastFXK3

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 30 November 2014 - 03:38 PM

Welcome to Mechwarrior Online where first experiences are the equivalent to a cold slap in the face by a hot iron.

Although you may have plenty of experience with other games when it comes to FPS but this game is a bit more unique where it has a little more depth to it than just "Log in, choose 'mech, enter the field, push a few buttons, deal damage, get kills and get 'decent' rewards for your efforts."

There's the Training Grounds where you can drop in any map you want to get used to the commands at hand. What helps me is printing out the default controls for the game found at http://static.mwomer...me/controls.png and keeping it infront of me so I can use it as a quick reference instead of "damn.. which button was it again to toggle my ECM mode again?"

The Training Grounds also allow you to fine-tune your mouse/joystick sensitivity so you're not having to use the entire mouse pad to look left/right or being too sensitive to where you can't snipe or hit your target worth a damn 'cause one moment you're looking forward then next moment you're looking behind yourself.

Weapon Grouping helps a bit too. Separating your Torso Mounted Weaponry (+ Crosshair symbol) from your Arm Mounted Weaponry (o crosshair symbol) so you're not hitting the dirt instead of your target 'cause your arm was too low or behind an obstacle.

In the Settings you can toggle the Text Comm(unication)s channels on or off. You can adjust the video/sound settings there too. You can even change out the default keyboard commands to suit your playstyle. (Just remember to click the 'Save' button usually located at the left side of the screen when you're finished or it won't save)

The Range displayed for Missiles on your HUD (Heads Up Display) is how far they will reach. Upon reaching that range the missiles will expire. So if you launch your LRMs at a target that is 1000m away from you, if the LRMs have to climb over obstacles to reach their target, they may fall short so it's usually a safe bet to launch them around 900m or closer but anything within 180m and they will do no damage. Clan LRMs are different though.. they'll deal less than 100% damage within 180m which pretty much is to tickle their target.

Energy and Ballistics have an extended reach outside their listed Max Range but will also deal less than 100% damage outside of that.

Try to keep your 'mech cool. If it goes over a certain heat level, you will shut down and be at risk of taking internal damage from the heat while shutdown.

There are a lot of features a Mechwarrior needs to keep in mind when in the field, Situational Awareness is one of them. Try not to get caught out in the open and don't go chasing after scouts 'cause more often than not a scout will try to lead you back to their lance and you'll be ambushed. Use the cover of the terrain to help protect you in the field as you keep an eye open for opportunities while manuevering your way to encounter/attack the opposition.

Oh.. and if you haven't found this out yet, your weapons WILL damage the 'mechs of your team and their weapons WILL damage your 'mech so try to take care that you're not taking out your team while engaged with the opposition. Some players don't take well to friendly fire.

If you have any questions about anything, feel free to search the forums. If you can't find an answer, don't be afraid to ask 'cause the only stupid question is one never asked.

Outside of that, I hope you continue enjoying your time with us here in Mechwarrior Online.

#27 luxebo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 04:45 PM

View PostJC Daxion, on 29 November 2014 - 12:20 PM, said:

ohh this guy made a thread about some of the trials, it has some good info.. I can't say anything about the clan mechs as i have only killed them.... and not sure if this post reflects the most recent trials..

http://mwomercs.com/...play-with-them/

Was about to say this. Thanks for linking it earlier though. :)

OP if you would like hop into Ts3 servers and play as a group. That way you'd make that much more in terms of C-bills/XP, and learn the game's curve sooner than later. I wouldn't always be on but I would like to help you out in group que if you'd like.

#28 DIrty Crazy Harry

• PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 07:16 PM

thank you all im starting to get a few more kills and assists because I bought a timberwolf-s .I have good battles and bad where I still die very fast the C-bills I get are about the same win or lose 30k-115k I really don't know how im going to grind out 2 more timberwolfs at 30 million for the 2 plus buy equipment to outfit them.

MWO still is a good game but the time I get to play per battle is still not good very short mechs need toughened up alot and the C-bill rewards are way to low maybe the Devs will look at my stats AND GO HOLY CRAP LETS FIX THIS.

Edited by DIrty Crazy Harry, 30 November 2014 - 07:16 PM.

#29 Kodyn

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationNY, USA

Posted 30 November 2014 - 07:24 PM

Nope..it's not the mechs, it's you.

We all sucked at some point, and as has been mentioned, this game has a steep, steep learning curve. Maybe even more so than EVE....ok, maybe not that bad, but close.. It just takes getting used to.

Everything will feel smoother with time...after about a month of play, you'll notice a major difference in how you play, look at mechs, and understand the way they work.

Every last mech in this game plays differently...how do I know this? I was an EVE player...so I have naturally bought and sold nearly every mech in the game at least once just to try.....DO NOT DO WHAT I DID, this was very expensive and resulted in over 5k matches worth of grind... ...just saying that so you understand where I'm coming from.

You'll find your mech that you're most comfortable in, and see a massive difference in kills, xp, CBills, etc. All it's gonna take is time bud.

#30 Siegegun

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 424 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 08:06 PM

OP, it is just the learning curve of the game. As many have already posted almost everyone has gone through this. I will not post advice as many others have already done this and much better than I could.

I will tell a small story though.

When I first started playing this game, I bought a Commando-2D after grinding STOCK mechs. It took a while to do this as there were no cadet bonuses in game yet. I died many times in someone else's mech so I could save up and get my very own. Similar to now the light class was, lets call it, "under represented". This was far before 3/3/3/3 rule. So 99 out of 100 times it was me in my little Commando, with everyone else in heavies and assaults lol.

So after getting my first mech I set about kitting it out. This also took a while as I did it in my stock Commando. Many times my poor little commando was turned to scrap for salvage. But eventually I was able to grind out my endo structure, my double heat sinks and my xl engine.

Did I mention I died ALOT during this process? I did. So I was good to go, had my commando all set up had a ton of ammo and played my heart out. Until a funny thing started happening. I began to run out of ammo by the end of a match. Wait what? I started SURVIVING until the match was over. It began happening more and more often, and I was actually killing others!

The moral is your experience is not new. You see I did not even equip enough ammo for a match when I started playing. Because I rarely lived through a match when I started playing. I had to redo my build because of it. You will get better. If you are already making money in the game then you already doing better than I did.

#31 ShinobiHunter

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 30 November 2014 - 08:10 PM

Stick with it buddy. It is a lot of fun once you get the hang of it. It did take me several months of play to get to where I would say I was competent. And after around 9 months, I still don't think I'm great. There's a lot of good advice about the trial mechs above my post, by folks much better than me. Good luck o7

#32 Tiamat of the Sea

• Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 08:36 PM

If I may, I'd like to boil down what everyone's saying to a briefer statement:

Most First-Person Shooter games today are about capability- if you have the ability to move fast and to hit the fire button at the right times, you will do well in them, and thinking hard about what you're doing is reserved for the absolute highest-level play, usually boiling down to individual decisions of where to go during a match. Mechwarrior Online seems like a First-Person Shooter (Or Third-Person Shooter, though the third-person cam makes piloting and firing effectively harder than first-person view) but it isn't; Mechwarrior Online is a battlemech piloting simulation. The vast majority of things you can do in Mechwarrior Online are skills instead of capabilities, and every choice you make, no matter how small, can help you succeed or fail. Skills take time and effort to develop, as they involve learning and training yourself- but the more time and effort you put in, the better the rewards you get out. Everything you can do in Mechwarrior Online, from your selection of chassis through how you kit it out through every last decision you make during gameplay requires thought, training, and practice.

You have to suck at it before you can be bad at it, you have to be bad at it before you can be okay, you have to be okay before you can be good, and you have to be good before you can be great. If you can enjoy, or learn to enjoy, the process of improving, though, you've got 50% of what you need in order to have a good time becoming a better player- and the rest is up to time spent.

#33 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 09:49 PM

View PostDIrty Crazy Harry, on 30 November 2014 - 07:16 PM, said:

thank you all im starting to get a few more kills and assists because I bought a timberwolf-s .I have good battles and bad where I still die very fast the C-bills I get are about the same win or lose 30k-115k I really don't know how im going to grind out 2 more timberwolfs at 30 million for the 2 plus buy equipment to outfit them.

MWO still is a good game but the time I get to play per battle is still not good very short mechs need toughened up alot and the C-bill rewards are way to low maybe the Devs will look at my stats AND GO HOLY CRAP LETS FIX THIS.

The devs are iirc going to update XP + C-bill bonuses and whatnot later on; We just had a 2.5x XP bonus weekend.

If you have the TBR-S you should be able to quickly kick ass: It's neatly built out of stock and slow upgrades should be able to fully outfit it. Saving time is worthy if you are willing to purchase things (It's really pay to quickly grind down faster).

Also, play TBR-Prime trial WHILE you are at grinding the S variant. This will speed things up and you'd have a better stock of Clan mechs than if you were to have not. Do yourself a favor too and grind all the Clan trials you want to play later on. And also look at always pursuing Double XP daily rewards.

Hopefully all the advice here helps out overall and maybe is there a specific thing you have problems in TBR-S/trials? I can surely help and so can mostly everyone else here. :) Like maybe surviving, or heat since Clan mechs generally heat up quick?

#34 RazorbeastFXK3

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 02 December 2014 - 09:54 AM

Yeah.. it's understandable how each battle makes you feel pressed to get the job done as fast as possible what with the timer ticking down but it requires a combination of patience and tact 'cause even a high detailed plan has a chance to fail. I'm happy to hear your experiences are improving with us. As for grinding out the c-bills, I mostly just focus on gaining 'Mech XP for my variants and saving up my G(General)XP for unlocking modules which is enough of a distraction for me to not be too concerned over how much c-bills I have (until it comes time when I want to upgrade to Double Heat Sinks of course.. 1.5million C-bills is a sharp jab to our earnings) and with some 'mech variants you purchase, maybe you don't like the engine it has or weaponry/equipment and you can get a decent amount back through selling the unwanted parts while keeping the 'mech variant.

As for "toughening up" the short 'mechs, you just need the right weapons and a decent armor placement (75% front armor/25% back armor is what I go for or some players do 80%/20% while others go for 90%/10%) Trying to get a headshot on your opponents is good practice but most times it pays off more to disable the main weapons of your opponent (taking out the right torso or main weapon arm) or just blowing off one of their legs as some players have the nasty habit of putting ammunition in their legs which puts them at risk of suffering from an ammo explosion before finishing them off.

[EDIT]Oh yeah forgot to mention about Modules incase you haven't come across this situation yet in regards to the expensive ones (costing 2million to 6million c-bills) It'll save you a lot of c-bills if you just buy one expensive module and then swap it between 'mech variants instead of buying multiple of the same type. UAV and Artillery/Air Strike modules are only 40k c-bills per so those aren't as much of a problem. But with modules like the Seismic Sensor, yeah, it's best to just get one of those and then equip/unequip as needed.[/edit]

View PostDIrty Crazy Harry, on 30 November 2014 - 07:16 PM, said:

Edited by RazorbeastFXK3, 02 December 2014 - 10:02 AM.

#35 Fnord Asteroid

• PipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 80 posts
  • LocationThe River

Posted 03 December 2014 - 07:37 AM

Many very good (and friendly) responses here.

Inspired by events today I wanted to add my .02 to this thread. Not sure how to say this nicely... so maybe I shouldn't say anything..

Heck with it. Getting pretty tired of seeing malcontents complain about a game that is FREE. Costs nothing.

If you wanna grind faster pony up a few dollars and buy some PREMIUM TIME. Problem solved.

IMHO If you can afford a computer that runs MW:O, I would hope that you could scare up seven whole dollars once in a while to buy some MC.

Barring that, whenever I, personally, have a problem, I look to myself first to correct it instead of looking for ways that someone else is to blame.

Now back to working on my people skills...

p.s. the Trial 'mechs are for sure waaaaaay more B.A. than when this game started.

#36 DIrty Crazy Harry

• PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 09:00 AM

MR. ChromeDaedalus Its not that battles are not fun they are its the fact I play hard try to contribute to a win for my team and feel unrewarded after each battle because of lack of C-bills mostly.I figured this out real fast after looking at my winnings after a battle.

2 more timber wolfs = 30 million C-bills I AVG 50k C-bills win or lose so that's 4 battles a hour AVG only = 200k a hour.

30 million C-bills at 50k AVG a battle = 600 battles to buy my 2 next timber wolfs and 15 hours time. And that's not weapons modules ETC.

With premium time it only goes down by 1/4 amount and time.

Some say this is not a bad grind but I have to say this is one big hump to overcome just to be somewhat competitive and have fun knowing im being ripped off by contributing to my teams win and only getting 50k for 5-10 assists and 400-500 damage. Its low because of no kills usually in a battle even though I contributed heavily to a win or loss.

So I don't know why you would feel a impulse to label or troll me for my views of MWO.

Edited by DIrty Crazy Harry, 03 December 2014 - 09:02 AM.

#37 Fnord Asteroid

• PipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 80 posts
  • LocationThe River

Posted 03 December 2014 - 09:55 AM

If you are only making those sorts of c-bill rewards you are certainly doing something very wrong. It doesn't take more than 100 damage to kill any mech.

I pull around 100k (not premium) on a loss in my spider, doing often less than 200 dmg.

You cannot be 'contributing heavily' because the c-bill system, better now then when it really didn't reward the less obvious, takes into account all sorts of ways that one can contribute. You want tough? Try getting paid in a light mech with the old metrics. pfff.

Perhaps you think only 'kills' and 'damage' pay. So not true. You get paid for flanking, scouting, being in formation, brawling... all sorts of things.

You clearly have experience with online gaming. Focus on learning to specifics of THIS game before you run about claiming the game is broken and needs fixing. That is the gist of what I am saying.

#38 Fnord Asteroid

• PipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 80 posts
  • LocationThe River

Posted 03 December 2014 - 09:58 AM

Not to mention, you are selecting one of the MOST EXPENSIVE mechs to go with. Bad choice on your part.

Do what the rest of us plebs did, get what you can AFFORD, and make it work.

#39 DIrty Crazy Harry

• PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 11:14 AM

Kills / Death 43 / 157 C-Bills 2,697,084 Experience Points 143,916 Wins / Losses 69 / 101 Kill / Death Ratio 0.27 Accumulative C-Bills Per Match 54,859.48
Avg. XP Per Match 846.56

I have to say ChromeDaealus its players in lights that are the true winners of this reward system They shadow assaults and heavies and steal all there kills so you are right about you making all the C-bills in MWO and everyone else just gets crap C-bills and dies.

I took the forums advise on a mech choice and a Clan way of CW when it comes all im saying is unless I want to game the system kill fellow team mates that steal all my kills which is 90% lights im stuck grinding away for nothing as far as C-bill rewards.

P.S I think the Devs need to fix the rewards so I don't have to cheat or exploit or team kill just to have fun with MWO and feel like in being rewarded properly for my battles.

Edited by DIrty Crazy Harry, 03 December 2014 - 11:16 AM.

#40 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 04:17 PM

Alright, lights need an XL, preferably a huge ass one. The Clan lights are split a bit in this burden but regardless the lights are the most costly, if not even more costly than assaults/heavies. Yes indeed that Timber is going to be expensive, but firstly, the timber has a trial, play it first then go on to buy it (Buy S, then C, then Prime). It might take a bit but lights are not getting out even.

Actually, mediums and 65-70 tonners that don't need XL get a cheaper route out. For example, the Hunchback is quite cheaper. If you are so worried about pricing, go wait till a sale (often during weekends) in order to pick up a cheaper c-bill pricing on mechs (iirc Jenners cost around 1 million ONLY during a sale once!)

And if lights are really getting out of the price issue, go try them out and see what you can do. Maybe you could be some sort of godsend with the lights you don't know of! Being competitive takes more than just having a Timber Wolf, as CW requires skill in every group/weight class to fill that 240 tons properly (or run a bunch of subpar 60 tonners, that works too if you really desire, though 60 tonners are possible to play, just takes that much skill).

Maybe join a group for some matches and see how that works, would like to see if your c-bills are really going down that much and whatnot.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users