Bad Game

70 replies to this topic

#41 Virgil Greyson

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 277 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 10:11 AM

I just wanted to help a fellow newbie out. Try the Hunchback 4p trial. I had a lot of success with it. Its very simple to use, and the only thing to remember is turn right when getting shot at to protect your hunch between laser volleys.

Stick with the big guys, watch them, when their armor starts to glow with damage, thats your time to safely appear and cut fools up with your lasers.

I started out shooting at anything red, but now I wait until my target information filters in, try and shoot at the parts that are weakened, you can really carve people up with a single volley from your hunch battery.

If the fight gets mobile, use your speed to circle around your opponent and slice them up, dont stand still and get hammered.

Edited by Virgil Greyson, 04 December 2014 - 10:12 AM.

#42 Nick Makiaveli

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in mechdrek

Posted 04 December 2014 - 12:50 PM

View PostDIrty Crazy Harry, on 30 November 2014 - 07:16 PM, said:

thank you all im starting to get a few more kills and assists because I bought a timberwolf-s .I have good battles and bad where I still die very fast the C-bills I get are about the same win or lose 30k-115k I really don't know how im going to grind out 2 more timberwolfs at 30 million for the 2 plus buy equipment to outfit them.

MWO still is a good game but the time I get to play per battle is still not good very short mechs need toughened up alot and the C-bill rewards are way to low maybe the Devs will look at my stats AND GO HOLY CRAP LETS FIX THIS.

Seriously? You honestly think you are such the perfect gamer that if you are having problems it has to be the game?

Or do you just not stop to think that if they boost YOUR earnings up to say 3.5 million a match, that some others will be making 2-5 times as much? I know you didn't or if you did, you completely spaced on the game would die if there was no reason to earn more money. Not everyone would leave, but the reward junkies would bail as they wouldn't be getting new toys anytime soon, for example.

As to outfitting, again, do any research or just come here to whine? Maybe by the time you get enough XP on this mech, you will have gained enough Cbills for the second one. And here's a thought, strip the old one to help outfit the new one.

Or if you aren't having fun playing to earn Cbills, go play some FB games. If the game isn't fun, then why play? Epeen?

View PostDIrty Crazy Harry, on 03 December 2014 - 11:14 AM, said:

Kills / Death 43 / 157 C-Bills 2,697,084 Experience Points 143,916 Wins / Losses 69 / 101 Kill / Death Ratio 0.27 Accumulative C-Bills Per Match 54,859.48
Avg. XP Per Match 846.56

I have to say ChromeDaealus its players in lights that are the true winners of this reward system They shadow assaults and heavies and steal all there kills so you are right about you making all the C-bills in MWO and everyone else just gets crap C-bills and dies.

I took the forums advise on a mech choice and a Clan way of CW when it comes all im saying is unless I want to game the system kill fellow team mates that steal all my kills which is 90% lights im stuck grinding away for nothing as far as C-bill rewards.

P.S I think the Devs need to fix the rewards so I don't have to cheat or exploit or team kill just to have fun with MWO and feel like in being rewarded properly for my battles.

Run around by yourself in the TW and see how it takes for the enemy lights to find you rip you apart. Lights hang around their big brothers to protect them from enemy lights

Oh and new flash, this is a team game. Try actually helping your team win instead of just trying for personal glory. Which by the way no one but you gives a crap about.

FTR, whining like this won't help you get into a good group.

Lastly, "cheat or exploit"? Way to show off you are a 12yr old with no clue. If you were actually cheating and exploiting it, even you aren't dumb enough to come here and admit it. Also, you wouldn't want the devs to look at your stats. All that was was you trying to act like you actually have a pair and hoping people would think you were some kind of uber-gamer/hacker.

If you have to cheat etc to feel rewarded to have fun, then you need to grow up even if you're 90.

Here's a thought...look up Virgil's post on this forum. He had questions/issues etc, but didn't whine he asked questions and took advice. Hell he even came here to offer you advice. I know this for a fact, if he applied to the DHB I wouldn't have much to say about him, ie just see how he acts during drops, as it's easy for a douchebag to hide it on the forums, but not so much on TS in a match. You? I would just link this thread in your application thread.

#43 Virgil Greyson

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 277 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 04:55 PM

I will say this game has a pretty insane learning curve. I come from playing Battlefield series, and consider myself a pretty competent FPS player, but this game requires an entirely different mindset. The tutorial does a pretty terrible job of teaching you anything.

Lots of people on here are willing to help though, I've had at least 10 people offer to play with me so far, and I have learned a ton. I think if you approach the game with a bit of humility and go in it with the mindset to learn instead of complain, you will enjoy it much more.

Once you 'get it' though, the game clicks, it masquerades itself as a FPS, but your in a very large target, and you need to be aware of how to protect your vital components, and you can really live a long time if you spread the damage across your body. Even on the smaller robots this is possible.

Again, I really say try the Hunchback, the Timberwolf, at least for me, is just to much to manage at this early stage. The hunchback was straight forward and I think most of the lessons I have learned about protecting my vital areas are going to be really useful if I ever decide to try something larger.

Also one of the guys I have been playing with told me the Timberwolf is a pretty powerful bot at the moment, so maybe you are dying so fast because people consider you a big threat, probably not the best thing to sit in when your trying to learn the maps and such. The bigger bots seem to be the fulcrum that the battle pivots on, and if they are driven by newbs like us things can go **** up pretty quick if we don't understand our role on the field. With the smaller robots you seem to have more leeway to maneuver, and you can watch the more experienced big guys and learn what they do for when you are ready for the big chair.

Again, take what I say with a grain of salt, I am new like you, but I thought perhaps a view through a fellow newbies lens might help give you some encouragement.

Oh and some other advice, if you try the trial nova, don't fire all the lasers at once like I did, you will explode.

Edited by Virgil Greyson, 04 December 2014 - 05:00 PM.

#44 Nick Makiaveli

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in mechdrek

Posted 04 December 2014 - 09:18 PM

View PostVirgil Greyson, on 04 December 2014 - 04:55 PM, said:

<words and stuff>

Ya know...we are accepting applications.....just saying....

#45 Macksheen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationNorth Cackalacky

Posted 05 December 2014 - 06:30 AM

I will say this game has a pretty insane learning curve. I come from playing Battlefield series, and consider myself a pretty competent FPS player, but this game requires an entirely different mindset. The tutorial does a pretty terrible job of teaching you anything.

Lots of people on here are willing to help though, I've had at least 10 people offer to play with me so far, and I have learned a ton. I think if you approach the game with a bit of humility and go in it with the mindset to learn instead of complain, you will enjoy it much more.

Once you 'get it' though, the game clicks, it masquerades itself as a FPS, but your in a very large target, and you need to be aware of how to protect your vital components, and you can really live a long time if you spread the damage across your body. Even on the smaller robots this is possible.

Again, I really say try the Hunchback, the Timberwolf, at least for me, is just to much to manage at this early stage. The hunchback was straight forward and I think most of the lessons I have learned about protecting my vital areas are going to be really useful if I ever decide to try something larger.

Also one of the guys I have been playing with told me the Timberwolf is a pretty powerful bot at the moment, so maybe you are dying so fast because people consider you a big threat, probably not the best thing to sit in when your trying to learn the maps and such. The bigger bots seem to be the fulcrum that the battle pivots on, and if they are driven by newbs like us things can go **** up pretty quick if we don't understand our role on the field. With the smaller robots you seem to have more leeway to maneuver, and you can watch the more experienced big guys and learn what they do for when you are ready for the big chair.

Again, take what I say with a grain of salt, I am new like you, but I thought perhaps a view through a fellow newbies lens might help give you some encouragement.

Oh and some other advice, if you try the trial nova, don't fire all the lasers at once like I did, you will explode.

On your Timber Wolf comment - and this is something that may seem odd at first to hear - I'd avoid it as a new player.

Yes, it's one of the better mechs. No, it is not new player friendly. There are other mechs (like the HBK) that are both very good and very new player friendly.

I think sometimes there's this attitude you see the old guys pushing of "anyone can do well in a Timber Wolf" - and frankly, it isn't true. In fact, I'd go even further to say that if you buy what folks call the best mech and you don't do well in it (because you aren't as far along in the learning curve as you think), it's going to sour the new player further.

So yes, I'd avoid the Timber Wolf as a new player. Totally. Other mechs are simpler and very good (again, like the HBK) where you can both learn and possibly improve / do well.

#46 Robert MacClure

Rookie

• 4 posts
  • LocationReno, NV

Posted 05 December 2014 - 02:35 PM

Lots of good advice and things to watch for here- thanks to all the folks for the good answers.

I played in the beta- until they tweaked the game past what my old computer could handle (dropped to 7-10 FPS in battle~). The learning curve back then was insane, too.

Work in a team, play your role properly, and just figure your going to grind for a while...

I pretty much suck at these FPS games- but can work in a team, at least!

Robert

#47 L Y N X

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 629 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 05 December 2014 - 04:40 PM

Since YOU (OP) are still in trial mechs, you are by definition a new player to MWO, cadet bonus or not. When starting in a match, try to modify your playstyle, try to find a bigger mech than yourself and follow them, shoot at whatever they shoot at. This will do a couple things.

You will learn which pilots are good and lousy based on their performance, you will have a meat shield that you are quicker than in getting out of fire, which will help you live longer. Living longer will help you earn more C-bills.

The combined fire on a given target will help eliminate that target from that match improving your team's odds at winning the match and increasing your pay-check. Too bad you were not around for repair and re-arm costs. lol

#48 Virgil Greyson

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 277 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 10:46 AM

View PostNick Makiaveli, on 04 December 2014 - 09:18 PM, said:

I'll pop in and play with you guys sometime if its okay, your on the No guts teamspeak right?

#49 Nightmare1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 07 December 2014 - 10:51 AM

Good advice! That's one of the big stumbling blocks for players who have not played a MechWarrior Game before. They come from CoD or BF or Halo and think that they can run and gun it. Frankly, I enjoy those games as much as the next person, but MWO is a whole 'nuther ball game. The stuff that normally works in your standard FPS just doesn't work well here. There's a lot more thinking involved.

Glad to see that things are improving for you, by the way. It seems that you've found some friends to drop with and it sounds like your gameplay quality is improving! Congrats and keep it up Virgil! :)

Like I told Virgil previously, any newbies that are having trouble should feel free to PM me and ask to run drops with me. This game does have a steep learning curve and I don't mind dropping with new players to help them learn the ropes. :)

View PostNick Makiaveli, on 04 December 2014 - 09:18 PM, said:

Back off, he's mine!!! (jk, jk, jk!) :lol:

#50 Virgil Greyson

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 277 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 11:03 AM

View PostNightmare1, on 07 December 2014 - 10:51 AM, said:

Good advice! That's one of the big stumbling blocks for players who have not played a MechWarrior Game before. They come from CoD or BF or Halo and think that they can run and gun it. Frankly, I enjoy those games as much as the next person, but MWO is a whole 'nuther ball game. The stuff that normally works in your standard FPS just doesn't work well here. There's a lot more thinking involved.

Glad to see that things are improving for you, by the way. It seems that you've found some friends to drop with and it sounds like your gameplay quality is improving! Congrats and keep it up Virgil! :)

Like I told Virgil previously, any newbies that are having trouble should feel free to PM me and ask to run drops with me. This game does have a steep learning curve and I don't mind dropping with new players to help them learn the ropes. :)

Back off, he's mine!!! (jk, jk, jk!) :lol:

We need to play sometime Nightmare, I added you to my friends list I think.

#51 Nightmare1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 07 December 2014 - 11:06 AM

View PostVirgil Greyson, on 07 December 2014 - 11:03 AM, said:

We need to play sometime Nightmare, I added you to my friends list I think.

Yeah, that'd be fun! I saw you online yesterday, but you were already grouped up. :)

Ironically, now that I have time to play MWO, I'm actually playing Ghost Recon: Phantoms. I hadn't planned on it, but they are running a special giveaway all weekend with Premium Time and weapons. Since I never get Premium Time in that game, I'm playing as much as I can over the next seven days to make the most use of it before it's gone. :lol:

I'll still pop into MWO to run a couple drops periodically though. I just won't be going full-tilt like I normally do.

#52 Fnord Asteroid

• PipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 80 posts
  • LocationThe River

Posted 12 December 2014 - 05:39 AM

OP 'decided to go with the timberwolf'....

Decided to go with? The real thought process was: 'this is the mech I think will get me the most guaranteed insta-kills because everyone talks about it like its AMAZING, and I'm a super-elite-killer, WHAT SHOULD I DRIVE?" OP shoulda got a Jager.

And for the record, my comment concerning lights was referring to the old c-bill reward structure. The one thing that hasn't changed is you gotta have your **** together to pilot a light well (and steal kills, as OP believes).

#53 Fnord Asteroid

• PipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 80 posts
  • LocationThe River

Posted 12 December 2014 - 05:48 AM

Virgil, not to nit-pick, but we pilot Battlemechs (or mechs or 'mechs) in MW:O...

NOT ROBOTS. Robots are autonomous. Mechs are basically like really awesome power armor... :)

There is a thread someplace here in the forums with a pretty longwinded debate on just this topic.

#54 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 12 December 2014 - 06:00 AM

View PostChromeDaedalus, on 12 December 2014 - 05:48 AM, said:

Virgil, not to nit-pick, but we pilot Battlemechs (or mechs or 'mechs) in MW:O...

NOT ROBOTS. Robots are autonomous. Mechs are basically like really awesome power armor... :)

There is a thread someplace here in the forums with a pretty longwinded debate on just this topic.

I beleve you are refering to this thread:
http://mwomercs.com/...-robots-people/

#55 Latorque

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 06:23 AM

Sometimes i can't shake the feeling that this game is deliberately punishing new players; and even though PGI really got their **** together compared to earlier times i don't think this is gonna change anytime soon. In all honesty i have no idea how i got through the first matches back in Stock Trial days; and of course i blew my cadet bonus on some utter crap build; even though i had some vague inkling how the mechlab worked thanks to playing MW2/MW3 about a century ago.

Since there are no decent tutorials coming, i just wish the launcher would scream: "find some decent blokes to help you out on your first steps in this game before walking into the valley of tears" in big, pink, neon flashing comic sans font. Hell, there isn't even a glossary for the game-specific terms! Energy/Ballistic/Missile? Heatsink? Tonnage? Slots? FerroFibrous? It's just assumed that everyone launching either knows this stuff by heart; or buckles up to learn the hard way. I don't really want to know how many potential players are driven off because of this.

No idea if the OP will be reading this; but i'd rather recommend a light mech: Spider? Just mastering it now; and as long as you keep moving this little bugger is extremely forgiving (HSR / lagshield or whatever). You won't put out tons of damage, but can definitly help out your team in lots of ways; and in the last phase of the match you can join in the fun to melt down some rear CT (unless your team is getting stomped, but that's the end for any mech). It needs an XL engine which you can swap through 3 builds, but that investment is necessary for quite a lot of mechs, otherwise it's pretty cheap even with upgrades.

Bonus points: NOTHING teaches battlefield / minimap awareness and the necessity of avoiding unneccessary damage like piloting lights.

Edited by Latorque, 12 December 2014 - 06:25 AM.

#56 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 12 December 2014 - 07:09 AM

Sorry Latorque, but I have to dissagree.

when controling the mechs becomes something you do not have to think about then Lights can be great, but one small mistake and you are dead,

Lights are great after you have learned basic controls on more forgiving Mechs but I could not do anything in my Founders Jenner (now my third most played Mech) as a new player, and when I first tried a Spider (at the time the Spider being impossible to hit was the most common complaint on the Forums) I could not do anything with it, and seemed to die as soon as an enemy Mech looked in my direction.

that is the reasion why despite prefering lights myself, and the Spider being my favorate chassis I would never recomend Lights to a new player unless the player says they loved the light trial Mechs.

#57 SnagaDance

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 12 December 2014 - 07:31 AM

View PostLatorque, on 12 December 2014 - 06:23 AM, said:

...in big, pink, neon flashing comic sans font.

Yeeesh, I mean, the flashing neon pink is bad enough, but really, Comic Sans?? Isn't that against the Geneva convention or something?

#58 Latorque

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 07:33 AM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 12 December 2014 - 07:09 AM, said:

Sorry Latorque, but I have to dissagree.

when controling the mechs becomes something you do not have to think about then Lights can be great, but one small mistake and you are dead,

Lights are great after you have learned basic controls on more forgiving Mechs but I could not do anything in my Founders Jenner (now my third most played Mech) as a new player, and when I first tried a Spider (at the time the Spider being impossible to hit was the most common complaint on the Forums) I could not do anything with it, and seemed to die as soon as an enemy Mech looked in my direction.

that is the reasion why despite prefering lights myself, and the Spider being my favorate chassis I would never recomend Lights to a new player unless the player says they loved the light trial Mechs.

Yeah... you may be right; altough with the current damage output and mega-alphas i'm not really sure if i'd like to sit in an IS medium - i have to admit though; those were never my favourites. On the other hand, i own the JR7-D(S) (i would have sold it otherwise); and i concur wholeheartedly on not recommending this mech to any player; and definitly not a new one. Neither the Raven; which used to be my favourite in the Lights department; both chassis don't fare to well in the current meta in my eyes.

The Spider feels massively different and far more forgiving compared to the aforementioned mechs; as long as you keep your speed up. Since i used to pilot a Flame most of the time (yeah i know, silly me :P ), the regular invulnerabilty of those pesky spiders to MLas and LB-10-X was obvious on a regular basis; and since i switched cockpits to my most hated enemy i see it as a feature.

Since cash is an additional concern; going for a medium with a STD engine might well be a wiser decision. :unsure: And yeah, they're definitly better for learning the basic controls.

View PostSnagaDance, on 12 December 2014 - 07:31 AM, said:

Yeeesh, I mean, the flashing neon pink is bad enough, but really, Comic Sans?? Isn't that against the Geneva convention or something?

Definitly a crime against humanity, but try turning your eyes away from that.

You should though, after 15 secs they might melt out of your skull :D

#59 xeromynd

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,022 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationNew York

Posted 12 December 2014 - 07:58 AM

View PostDIrty Crazy Harry, on 30 November 2014 - 07:16 PM, said:

thank you all im starting to get a few more kills and assists because I bought a timberwolf-s .I have good battles and bad where I still die very fast the C-bills I get are about the same win or lose 30k-115k I really don't know how im going to grind out 2 more timberwolfs at 30 million for the 2 plus buy equipment to outfit them.

MWO still is a good game but the time I get to play per battle is still not good very short mechs need toughened up alot and the C-bill rewards are way to low maybe the Devs will look at my stats AND GO HOLY CRAP LETS FIX THIS.

Not to sound harsh but, you "don't know how you're going to grind for 2 more TBRs?" You've purchased one of the most expensive mechs in the game, the price is the same for everyone else, they all do it and so can you. That's how it works. If you're bored with this grind at any point, and you aren't having fun, then perhaps you should try another mech. I think you'll love the TBRs once you have them Elite'd, but it's a long way to go to get there.

Devs probably won't re-evaluate the ecnonmy anytime soon if at all.

Also:

MWO still is a good game

"Still is" as in it was back when you posted this thread which has the complete opposite title?

#60 KHALEN PHELL

• Pip
  • The Hawk
  • The Hawk
  • 16 posts
  • LocationAlshain

Posted 12 December 2014 - 10:18 AM

anybody who started playing for the most part, had to grind it out for a while. that is just the way it is, there is nothing wrong with the trial mech's.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users