70 replies to this topic

#61 Virgil Greyson

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 277 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 03:16 PM

View PostChromeDaedalus, on 12 December 2014 - 05:48 AM, said:

Virgil, not to nit-pick, but we pilot Battlemechs (or mechs or 'mechs) in MW:O...

NOT ROBOTS. Robots are autonomous. Mechs are basically like really awesome power armor... :)

There is a thread someplace here in the forums with a pretty longwinded debate on just this topic.

I apologize for my blasphemy. I am not really familiar with the history of this game yet!

#62 Nick Makiaveli

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in mechdrek

Posted 12 December 2014 - 04:18 PM

View PostVirgil Greyson, on 07 December 2014 - 10:46 AM, said:

I'll pop in and play with you guys sometime if its okay, your on the No guts teamspeak right?

We have one there but as a rule we use our own. My sig will take you to the main DHB site, and there is a link there to our TS server.

#63 Satan n stuff

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,508 posts
  • LocationLooking right at you, lining up my shot.

Posted 12 December 2014 - 10:47 PM

View PostVirgil Greyson, on 12 December 2014 - 03:16 PM, said:

I apologize for my blasphemy. I am not really familiar with the history of this game yet!

For the record I've been playing this game for over two years and I'm still grinding. Just check out the signature and you'll know why.

#64 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 13 December 2014 - 10:15 AM

View PostSatan n stuff, on 12 December 2014 - 10:47 PM, said:

For the record I've been playing this game for over two years and I'm still grinding. Just check out the signature and you'll know why.

Had someone ask me (in game) the other day why I still needed to grind for Cbills.

I do not have anywhere near the mechs you do - and I have yet to even really look at buying Modules. :lol:

#65 RazorbeastFXK3

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 13 December 2014 - 10:27 AM

I honestly had no problem using the Trial 'Mechs back when we didn't have Clan 'Mechs available to play with and I still don't.

I haven't bought any other modules than a few UAV/Artillery Strike and the one Seismic Censor but I'm looking forward to using the range/cooldown weapon modules when I finally get enough c-bills saved up for 'em. 'til then I'll just continue Mastering the c-bill 'mechs according to their increasing max tonnage. I'm up to Hunchback and Vindicator now and will be moving on to Trebuchet.

I am looking forward to more events that give us the chance to earn 'mech bays. I compiled a list of 'mechs I used to pilot back in Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries that MW:O caters to. Saving the Clan 'Mechs for last I'm just going to get the Innersphere 'mech configs for now which totals to 18 so far. I only have x11 or x12 'mech bays at the moment so I'm more than halfway there to having enough room when I'm done mastering the 'mechs.

View PostShar Wolf, on 13 December 2014 - 10:15 AM, said:

Had someone ask me (in game) the other day why I still needed to grind for Cbills.

I do not have anywhere near the mechs you do - and I have yet to even really look at buying Modules. :lol:

#66 Bluttrunken

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 830 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 10:28 AM

I started with a Jenner and lots of enthuisasm... I died alot and after finishing my Jenners my K/D was around 0.5~. But I learned, to an extent, how to read the battlefield, how to survive and how to play a mech depending on its loadout. After some work my K/D now sits @ ~1.0 with a positive tendency. This game has a learning curve but that makes it much more satisfying.

Edited by k05h3lk1n, 13 December 2014 - 10:34 AM.

#67 Zephonarch II

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 328 posts
  • LocationBack in the MWO and... its fun, but Nascar steamrolls still lame.

Posted 13 December 2014 - 11:22 AM

And to summarize: Trial Mechs do not suck. Only the players do. But only when they're beginning and haven't gone through the steep learning curve of Battletech lore, canonized-weapon/mech stats. And also getting past the arrogant vets of the past MW/MC/MWLL/Battletech etc. series. Sorry, but this game has a well-organized history that you just can't disrespect. It's not like PGI trying to be seen as the sell-out that destroyed MechWarrior. No, just like all the other games, they evolved it further down the path in gaming.

Mechs are not robots, they are walking tanks. Do you call an M1 Abrams a robot? or an aerial drone? There's our vet Battletech logic/counter-argument newbies.

yada yada. yada yada. yada, I guess I mean to say there's respect for this genre. Because the game doesn't disappoint by giving the gaming community an interactive movie and sell-out to appeal to most of the public. No that's why there are a lot of smart knowledgable players here. The game may reached the F2P-stalemate, but the game is complicated enough and patched often enough(not always), that it will not bore players going through it's dull grind. To reason: I've bought and elited on preference(not master) many mechs that offer different roles to the game. Which is kind of what PGI sold to the public in ads and such. I've mastered the SDR-5D and focussed it's purpose on not brawling with other lights but to provide ecm-support, stay out of sight, and splice components. And it's small enough that it can do that well.

Mediums: CDA-2A for focus-fire with mls or 2 erlls with a zoom mod.
WVR-6R, SHD-2D, BJ-3. all great at brawling or alpha-jump-sniping. Just different hardpoint advanatages/disadvantages
Heavies: 2 Orions, it's formidable enough for me to treat it as a nimbler mini-atlas
And for Assaults: the STK-3F for missile or energy boat builds, and the BNS-3E; for dakkas(with macros of course)
And a Puma-D just to annoy players.

All my roles are filled to complete this game's experience. Really if the clan mechs were cheaper, I might have more motivation to play more often. But right now, I'd just like to play with other mature players in a unit that isn't so serious about itself. (No website, meetings, big hierarchy) No just preferred players/friends that will join your group occassionally for tactical cooperation. I've outgrown my childhood, so this is just a hobby. It's not a bad game. Just try and you'll get it.

...wait I already said that on this thread haven't I????

ah whatever.

#68 Elfcat

• PipPipPip
  • Sho-sa
  • Sho-sa
  • 60 posts
  • LocationYay Area

Posted 15 July 2020 - 10:10 PM

I'm new. I haven't played MW since MW2 for the Mac. I suck. I spent last night getting BBQ'd a dozen times in a row in QP.

But earlier today I did learn that one way to win is RTFI.

An Assault round. One way to win is Capture Enemy Base.

My team goes out. I dutifully follow. I check the BG. Tons of enemies bunched up center-map, right where my team is going.
Looks like a king-size cluster%$#(. Who knows how that'll go.

But there's their base. And here's some little slot canyons going off to the right, just the right size for a little Arctic Cheetah.
Yes, I know, really wimpy of me. But....

.... at the outlet of the long, gently curving slot canyon....

Their base. With no defenders whatsoever.

The only thing I could have done better was to get on Chat All and type:

"O luk, silly hyoomons left out a tasti little BASE just for MEEEEE, slurphslurphslurph" Posted Image

#69 SharDar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 148 posts

Posted 16 July 2020 - 10:24 AM

View PostTripleEhBeef, on 30 November 2014 - 02:16 PM, said:

Also disable the Auto Throttle Down and Start in 3rd Person settings.

Can you explain why this is good? What is the advantage? I'm still trying to figure things out, and your guidance is appreciated!

#70 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,608 posts

Posted 16 July 2020 - 09:08 PM

This post is from 2014, SharDar, I doubt you'll get an answer from the person you quoted. I personally wouldn't advise going into 3rd PV for any purpose other than looking at the back of your mech. If you want throttle decay or not, is up to preference i guess.

#71 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 05 August 2020 - 08:28 AM

View PostSharDar, on 16 July 2020 - 10:24 AM, said:

Can you explain why this is good? What is the advantage? I'm still trying to figure things out, and your guidance is appreciated!

Reduces the work load as you can leave the throttle at a particular setting or Full throttle most times with out having to pump the pedal or key.

Their are also tricks that make the throttle more responsive like...better not say PGI may nerf them. But their are semi casual Pro tricks, just saying.

Plus with throttle decay you miss out on cruise control as standard.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users