Something Needs To Be Done About Atlases

496 replies to this topic

#41 pwnface

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,009 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 12:07 PM

I'm going to have to disagree with the OP's assessment of Atlasses/Atlai. At close range a good Atlas pilot is absolutely more dangerous than a dire wolf. Dire wolves can't torso twist to soak damage whereas the Atlas can. Atlas also has articulation of arms and a wider firing arc. Obviously an Atlas isn't going to be winning in a sniper battle, but under 300m a GOOD atlas pilot should be able to beat a dire.

A slow assault mech can't always dictate the range of combat, but you can often use cover to close distance without getting beat up.

#42 Mazikar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 400 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 04 December 2014 - 12:07 PM

View PostBrody319, on 04 December 2014 - 11:06 AM, said:

King Crab

remember that ghost heat almost was exclusively made to stop anyone from building a 2 AC20 mech

#43 pwnface

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,009 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 12:09 PM

View PostLotharian, on 04 December 2014 - 12:07 PM, said:

remember that ghost heat almost was exclusively made to stop anyone from building a 2 AC20 mech

That is not true at all. What about 4/6PPC stalkers? Ghost heat discourages AC40 but it doesn't make it that much less viable.

#44 AlmightyAeng

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 12:09 PM

Which is why you don't see people using them on Jagers and K-2s...

Oh wait.

#45 Johnny Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 04 December 2014 - 12:10 PM

An atlas without an XL engine has no way to compete with a DW's speed and firepower, and with an XL it has no way to compete with a DW's durability even if the chassis were identical hitboxes end of story. Balance Omni mech XL versus Battlemech XL or there is no balance period.

Edited by Johnny Z, 04 December 2014 - 12:12 PM.

#46 Bilbo

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 04 December 2014 - 12:10 PM

I doubt ghost heat is going to seriously undermine a dual AC/20 KC.

#47 Joe Mallad

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,740 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 04 December 2014 - 12:11 PM

yet I still use 2 AC-20s on a K-2 and fire them together and can manage the heat. Now give me a 100 ton mech that i can cram in even more DHS... Ill have no problems what so ever ;)

#48 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 12:13 PM

Quirks went a long way to balance Omni mech equipment doing more damage taking up less slots and weighing less and having longer range IT DID NOT BALANCE THE XL ENGINES.

#49 pwnface

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,009 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 12:14 PM

View PostJohnny Z, on 04 December 2014 - 12:10 PM, said:

An atlas without an XL engine has no way to compete with a DW's speed and firepower, and with an XL it has no way to compete with a DW's durability even if the chassis were identical hitboxes end of story. Balance Omni mech XL versus Battlemech XL or there is no balance period.

Compete with a DW speed?? Really?

Our unit runs our DDCs with STD350 engines which SMOKE dire wolves in terms of speed..

#50 Moonlander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 684 posts
  • LocationCocoa Beach, FL

Posted 04 December 2014 - 12:14 PM

View Postsuperteds, on 04 December 2014 - 11:04 AM, said:

There does need to be something done about line-holding/pushing assaults who boat LRM though, now that's a waste of a chassis.

I was spectating an DDC w/ 2xLRM15, 2xMGs and 2xML the other day... while he was the last one alive at the end... he only did 99 damage for the entire match. I want to say "well, this person is new whatever" but then you see the Legendary Founder avatar next to their name on the scoreboard and you really wonder what's going on.

Why do people want to actively try and burden their team? Solo queue or not... why even play a game that you don't want to at least attempt to be decent at? Even if you aren't good... I could forgive that if you at least took the time to research a loadout.

#51 superteds

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 722 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 12:16 PM

View PostMoonlander, on 04 December 2014 - 12:14 PM, said:

I was spectating an DDC w/ 2xLRM15, 2xMGs and 2xML the other day... while he was the last one alive at the end... he only did 99 damage for the entire match. I want to say "well, this person is new whatever" but then you see the Legendary Founder avatar next to their name on the scoreboard and you really wonder what's going on.

Why do people want to actively try and burden their team? Solo queue or not... why even play a game that you don't want to at least attempt to be decent at? Even if you aren't good... I could forgive that if you at least took the time to research a loadout.

No idea. seen quite a few LRM direwolfs recently also :|

#52 AlphaToaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 04 December 2014 - 12:17 PM

View PostJohnny Z, on 04 December 2014 - 12:10 PM, said:

An atlas without an XL engine has no way to compete with a DW's speed and firepower

Completely false. At least w/ STD 350 engine can run AC/20, 2 med lasers, SRM16 or SRM18 depending on if it's the DDC or the S. They go 63-65kph with these engines. They're durable as heck in the process. Running an XL in an atlas is really dumb on so many levels that it's not really a valid comparison.

Direwhale runs 54kph?

There's also a solid build for the Atlas using a STD 360 engine, 2 UAC/5's, and 2 LL + ECM @ 65kph. Range isn't a problem for this build in any way and it can carry enough ammo to core out a lance of direwhales.

Edited by AlphaToaster, 04 December 2014 - 12:21 PM.

#53 Brody319

• The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 12:18 PM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...8fd3c088ec74e2e

Disregard Atlas
pilot Stalkers.

#54 superteds

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 722 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 12:19 PM

can't go wrong with srm+laser stalkers, so much concentrated murder.

#55 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 12:20 PM

View Postpwnface, on 04 December 2014 - 12:14 PM, said:

Compete with a DW speed?? Really?

Our unit runs our DDCs with STD350 engines which SMOKE dire wolves in terms of speed..

That you are suggesting there is any balance between a DW and an Atlas at the moment is so devoid of even the understanding of basic math or the concept, I will not reply to this since it is most likely a troll or you failed grade 5 math or grade 2 which ever may be the case, and if that is the case I am sorry for suggesting your intelligence quotient is that of a sock HAHA. I dont have an Atlas but there is no balance at the moment between one and a DW.

#56 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 04 December 2014 - 12:22 PM

I feel that I should point out that the Atlas does the whole "marauding through their lines" thing better than a Dire Wolf, and that it can typically sustain its firepower for longer. That being said, the time to kill for an Atlas under fire from a Starebear makes "longer" a superfluous measurement - the Atlas will typically be dead before a difference can be made if he ever finds himself locked in combat with a Dire Wolf.

The quirk system holds great promise for balancing 'mechs, Atlases included, but I do think that close attention should be paid to the functionality of the Atlas chassis in their intended role. Currently the one thing the Atlas can do better than anything else is to take a licking and keep on kicking - but it doesn't feel like it does it better enough.

#57 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 04 December 2014 - 12:23 PM

I won't be able to take my DWF in CW, plus my DDC has ECM. Topics like this aren't really going to apply for CW drops and that what we're all waiting for, it's the bread and butter of this whole endeavor.

#58 Bilbo

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

View PostJohnny Z, on 04 December 2014 - 12:20 PM, said:

That you are suggesting there is any balance between a DW and an Atlas at the moment is so devoid of even the understanding of basic math or the concept, I will not reply to this since it is most likely a troll or you failed grade 5 math or grade 2 which ever may be the case, and if that is the case I am sorry for suggesting your intelligence quotient is that of a sock HAHA. I dont have an Atlas but there is no balance at the moment between one and a DW.

If you have never run the Atlas against a direwolf how can you possibly say one way or the other?

#59 terrycloth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 769 posts

I tried the DDC w/ machine guns and LRM 15s while levelling it up. Once. It was that bad. I had NARC and large lasers though.

Current DDC build is 2xLPL, 2x AC5, 3xSRM2. And fight at medium range (~400m). It's... okay. Better than my highlander (ha ha, I know), and better results than my -S with AC20, SRM24, and 4xMPL. In theory, the -S build can kill things in two shots. In practice, it overheats like crazy.

#60 AlmightyAeng

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,905 posts

View PostJohnny Z, on 04 December 2014 - 12:20 PM, said:

I dont have an Atlas but there is no balance at the moment between one and a DW.

Ah, so you obviously understand the comparison from both cockpits. Got it. *sigh*

Edit: Bilbo ninja'd my response, lol.

I don't own DIREWOLVES. But, my experience running my Atlases is that when I get into a 1v1 with a Direwolf the following are true:

1) If I'm not within 300 meters, I'm doing it wrong, because why the HELL would I approach a Direwolf straight on with zero chance of returning fire? Approaching from cover is OP.
2) The Direwolf will have more firepower.
3) The Direwolf can't twist and take MY damage on it's arms.
4) I CAN twist and take it's damage on my arms.
5) By piloting intelligently I can cause more damage to its CT and kill it than it can to MY CT, because I'm tanking a decent portion of its damage on my arms.
6) The best approach to a Direwhale is from the side or rear...and if I get a nice full alpha off first and THEN it turns, I can take it, or half its weapons, out LONG before it has time to kill me. If you're dying in your Atlas then stop facetanking Direwhales start to finish in combat.

Edited by Ghost Badger, 04 December 2014 - 12:32 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users