181 replies to this topic

#141 Punk Oblivion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 352 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 02:06 AM

View PostFoxTrot05, on 22 December 2014 - 08:19 AM, said:

In the minset of not knowing if I'll attack or defend, I would either like to make a crab that was slow with alot of weapons(good long range) or a faster crab with med range weapons. I think LRM's should be taken at a minimum of 15, three LRM5 racks would take the least tonnage and let me chain fire or as a battery. LRM's are situational, but I like to be able to damage someone out of line of sight and save my cored CT while killing someone else who is cored.

edit:
I know clans have a range advantage on IS, but I just may end up in a house that doesn't have a border witht the clans.

Well in the lobby it says defend/attack/counterattack(aka attack). So you can tell ahead of time what you are doing.

My favorite two builds on the 000 are:
XL350, 3-AC5, 2-AC2. Fast and has good range. AC5 cooldown/range mods make this a good build from short to mid-long range.
Std300, 4UAC5. Slow, but has the advantage of being able to lose a ST and keep going. UAC5 cooldown/range mods make this dangerous at all ranges. You can use firecontrol for maximum DPS. Just got to stay calm and know when to stop double tapping to keep you from being a sitting duck.

I know these are both direct dealers. but I get at least a couple 900-1000+ damage matches with them per play session. I am always in the mindset of, if I bring LRM's, I want to be able to really use them. So I take LRM's where I can volley 20-30 per shot to make it through AMS.

View Postpvtjamesr, on 22 December 2014 - 11:32 PM, said:

Well........bring cool shots and don't let the enemy see you.....I BRING YOU DEATH

Step 1, use ERPPC's to tag targets for assists.
Step 2, fade into background of battle.
Step 3, sneak up on a target.
Step 4, One shot, one kill!
Step 5, sit in overheated mech till the enemy teams kills you.

I'd run in this a couple times for fun!

#142 FoxTrot05

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 49 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 08:23 AM

View PostPunk Oblivion, on 23 December 2014 - 02:06 AM, said:

Well in the lobby it says defend/attack/counterattack(aka attack). So you can tell ahead of time what you are doing.

My favorite two builds on the 000 are:
XL350, 3-AC5, 2-AC2. Fast and has good range. AC5 cooldown/range mods make this a good build from short to mid-long range.
Std300, 4UAC5. Slow, but has the advantage of being able to lose a ST and keep going. UAC5 cooldown/range mods make this dangerous at all ranges. You can use firecontrol for maximum DPS. Just got to stay calm and know when to stop double tapping to keep you from being a sitting duck.

I know these are both direct dealers. but I get at least a couple 900-1000+ damage matches with them per play session. I am always in the mindset of, if I bring LRM's, I want to be able to really use them. So I take LRM's where I can volley 20-30 per shot to make it through AMS.

Step 1, use ERPPC's to tag targets for assists.
Step 2, fade into background of battle.
Step 3, sneak up on a target.
Step 4, One shot, one kill!
Step 5, sit in overheated mech till the enemy teams kills you.

I'd run in this a couple times for fun!

Thanks for the response. I'll put your builds in rotation when I get my crabs. However, I may start with AC40 + LRM's untill I get the cash for the chassis and engine upgrades. I just have come accustomed to being forced into taking LRM's to give my slow atlas and highlander decent long punch. For the atlas, it is mainly due to having so few slots. Rest assured, my crab will be upgraded to a direct fire, shell spewing, murder machine.

Right now I have 20mil to spend on a crab and two locusts to fit my atlas D-DC into a CW drop deck. However, I need alot more cbills to upgrade and gear them up.

Edited by FoxTrot05, 23 December 2014 - 08:24 AM.

#143 Punk Oblivion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 352 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 12:33 PM

I like ballistics on my mechs. But Both the 000B and 0000 would make good longer range attack platforms with 3/3 and 4/4 high mounted energy/missile hardpoints respectively. But no ecm like the D-DC. So you could be caught in the open by missile barrages easier.

Once the crabs are unleashed for Cbills, I will probably use the 0000 with SRM's and lasers for brawling, and the 000B for long range support.

#144 AllOuttaBubbleGum

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 157 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 12:58 PM

having fun with the aforementioned idea of a "fiddler crab" in the B variant
ac20 right, 2xmg left, 3 LPL, and 3 streaks

#145 K0M3D14N

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 212 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 12:14 AM

Can confirm that the 000(L) is sicknasty with 4 UAC5s. Slow, but can crush even Dire Wolves in staring contests. Will post screen shots tomorrow.

EDIT: Okay, I played 5 or 6 games in the Crab last night. Here are the results from the best four:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

And I saved the best for last:
Posted Image

This thing is a monster but requires very solid trigger discipline. You've got 300 rounds of UAC5 ammo to work with and 2 medium lasers to back that up. if you're not careful, you can chew through that ammo in no time flat. On the plus side, the Crab can lose either side torso and keep fighting and I haven't even come anywhere near overheating this thing yet. Haven't even gotten a heat warning, in fact! Even on Terra Thirma and Caustic!

Edited by K0M3D14N, 24 December 2014 - 09:18 AM.

#146 loopala

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,242 posts
  • LocationDa UP of Mich

Posted 30 December 2014 - 10:14 PM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...873d735e3a70059

KGC000B 3ML 4MG (4000) 3LRM15+A (1620)

Maybe a bit light on lrm ammo but so far by the time I run out alls that's left is mopping up. Also once the LRM ammo is gone the whole left side is disposable. Walked right up on more then one heavy/assault mech by mls mg twist ml/mg twist lose the left side and still have 2mgs and 3mls to finish them. Unbelievable heat efficient. The mgs an ml give it a good up close punch and 45 lrms make triple ams kitfoxes cry. Just don't get in a hurry (with a 300 eng like you are going any were in a hurry)

#147 Bellum Dominum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hitman
  • The Hitman
  • 592 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 10:26 PM

This build may already have been posted but it is the one I use. Two weapons groups:: Left side AC20 & SRM, Right side 2xUAC5 & ER LARGE LASER::

KING SMASHFACE

Anyone that tries it and has an idea for a name for it suggest it to me. I have just been calling it my 'KING SMASHFACE' :P

Edited by Death Drow, 30 December 2014 - 10:42 PM.

#148 kosmos1214

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • 776 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 04:04 PM

View PostDeath Drow, on 30 December 2014 - 10:26 PM, said:

This build may already have been posted but it is the one I use. Two weapons groups:: Left side AC20 & SRM, Right side 2xUAC5 & ER LARGE LASER::

KING SMASHFACE

Anyone that tries it and has an idea for a name for it suggest it to me. I have just been calling it my 'KING SMASHFACE' :P

um i think you link is broke its not working for me

#149 Punk Oblivion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 352 posts

Posted 01 January 2015 - 10:06 PM

Link works for me just fine. Though I would mod it to be something like this: KING CRAB KGC-000(L)

Dropped the ERLL for another SRM4 and more ammo for UAC5's and SRM's

#150 Bellum Dominum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hitman
  • The Hitman
  • 592 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 02:13 AM

View Postkosmos1214, on 01 January 2015 - 04:04 PM, said:

um i think you link is broke its not working for me

try this one, sorry about that:

KING SMASHFACE

#151 Bellum Dominum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hitman
  • The Hitman
  • 592 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 02:18 AM

View PostPunk Oblivion, on 01 January 2015 - 10:06 PM, said:

Link works for me just fine. Though I would mod it to be something like this: KING CRAB KGC-000(L)

Dropped the ERLL for another SRM4 and more ammo for UAC5's and SRM's

I had ran it very similar to that but found that I really like having the additional longer range touch and the SRM really is just there as some additional close range touch/crit chance for after opening the enemy mech up more than anything.

I only use two weapons groups with this as well so it's non-gamer-mouse friendly.
Left Button: AC20 + SRM
Right Button: UAC5's + ER LRG

I've been considering trading out the ER for a regular LRG for a slightly better heat management but honestly I've been handling the heat just fine. I do run two cool shots (I'm an Assault Mech leave the arti's-uav's-etc for the lighter mechs)

Edited by Death Drow, 02 January 2015 - 02:19 AM.

#152 Nightshade24

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 02 January 2015 - 04:28 AM

anyone got a good guass build that uses every hardpoint? (2 Gauss. Would like to see 4 SSRM 2's nad 4 medium lasers would be cool but would settle for something lighter...)

#153 TheFuzzyBunny

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 446 posts
  • LocationDetroit

Posted 02 January 2015 - 05:38 AM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...1a1db77d8f5a65a

There you go. I personally think it's to hot, but it's what you wanted.

Here is the SSRM version. A bit better on cooling, but harder to get locks due to the locked arms.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...572d5651d3d0307

#154 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 02 January 2015 - 06:43 AM

View PostTheFuzzyBunny, on 02 January 2015 - 05:38 AM, said:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...1a1db77d8f5a65a

There you go. I personally think it's to hot, but it's what you wanted.

Here is the SSRM version. A bit better on cooling, but harder to get locks due to the locked arms.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...572d5651d3d0307

I love you

Thanks, this really helps. I just never figured out if I should use endo or not, what engine, etc.

I really wounder what I should do to my last king crab. thinking 4 AC 5;s but no idea for back up weapon. thinking to run an XL engine. But I'll figure it out eventually... may do 2 AC 5's and 2 AC 2's with a AC 5 cooldown 5...

Speaking of which... which modules for the kingcrab build you linked me you think I should have in terms of weapon modules?

#155 Punk Oblivion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 352 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 11:43 AM

4 UAC5 crab needs no backup weapons, just ammo and more ammo. Also some disciplined fire control.

Edit, oops. You said AC5, not UAC5 haha. For heat reasons. I would do 2AC5/2AC2 with missiles. Otherwise 3-4 AC5 with lasers. I never like running AC2's with lasers. Not until they reduce the heat on the AC2 anyways.

Edited by Punk Oblivion, 02 January 2015 - 11:47 AM.

#156 TheFuzzyBunny

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 446 posts
  • LocationDetroit

Posted 02 January 2015 - 12:15 PM

I personally like these:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...378edd35c5cb72e
Brawler Crab, STD engine

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...0dd4384623b0497
Sniper PPD Crab, XL for speed, ammo, and heat efficiency.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...a20f575e8726be0
U/AC5 Dakka Crab. STD for continued punishment even with a ST lose. Can drop the 2 MLs for ammo if needed.

As for modules on the linked crab run 360 retention and Target decay if you're running streaks. Seismic and Raidar Deprivation on everything else.

Weapon modules depend on you. I usually run modules that increase the effectiveness of my primary weapon. So Gauss cooldown, then maybe SSRM / SRM range or cooldown.

Edited by TheFuzzyBunny, 02 January 2015 - 12:17 PM.

#157 KaffeeKup

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 51 posts

Posted 03 January 2015 - 03:20 PM

3x AC5/U
2x PPCs.

Seems to work alright:)

#158 AllOuttaBubbleGum

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 157 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 09:37 AM

These builds are serving me well. the 0000 and 000B took some time to find builds that worked that I liked. The L has been consistently good. Currently, im not surprised when I get 5-6 kills during a match.

[color=#000000]http://mwo.smurfy-ne...f28f784cc4a6e9e King Crab 000b[/color][color=#000000]
[/color]
[color=#000000]
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...ee4348f3182cbc8 Crab L
[/color]
[color=#000000]
[/color]
[color=#000000]
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...97f2ef537865938 Crab 0000
[/color]

#159 Reno Blade

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 3,459 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 05 January 2015 - 10:21 AM

View PostPunk Oblivion, on 14 December 2014 - 12:56 PM, said:

Well ghost heat isn;t the main issue with AC2's. The base heat is too high to start with, and there is a bug that triggers ghost heat when ac2's are chain fired, specifically with macros. So even though it is supposed to take 4 or more AC2's to trigger ghost heat, you can actually trigger it with just TWO AC2's...

The best way I have found to get around it, is always group the AC2's together, and fire them together. However, you can only do this with a max of 3. Having said that, 2 AC5's and 3 AC2's (or 3AC5's, 2AC2's) are both better dakka builds on the KGC IMO.

Let me go slightly offtopic to provide some more information around ghost heat in here.
Ghost heat triggers only if weapons are fired in the minimum intervall of 0.5 seconds which is the same as chainfire.

If you shoot 6 AC2s together you will do 6.81 heat instead of 6 heat, which is not much of a problem.

If you shoot 2 (or more) AC2s alternatively in less than 0.5 seconds, you will reset the "timer" (the 0.5sec ghost heat cooldown) and increase the heat penalty each time as if you would shoot them together with multiple weapons.
That means, if you keep shooting in less than 0.5s intervall for like 10 shots, you get the penalty as if you had shot 10 AC2s in the 0.5 seconds, because you didnt reset the ghost heat cooldown suffering 14.05 heat instead of 10 heat.

Obviously if you macro 6 AC2s to fire in less than 0.5s you would rise the ghost heat penalty a lot faster. (12 shots for 20.85 heat instead of 12 heat in less than 3 seconds).

Only right way is to shoot AC2s in one group unlike AC20s where you should space the shots to prevent ghost heat.

Now back to topic.
AC2s with 1 heat each and faster RoF than AC5 (also 1 heat each) are not really good for sustained dps.
Using 4x (U)AC5, 2x AC20/10 or Gauss is usually the better option on the KC.

#160 Punk Oblivion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 352 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 09:11 PM

View PostReno Blade, on 05 January 2015 - 10:21 AM, said:

Let me go slightly offtopic to provide some more information around ghost heat in here.

*lots of maths*

Only right way is to shoot AC2s in one group unlike AC20s where you should space the shots to prevent ghost heat.

Now back to topic.
AC2s with 1 heat each and faster RoF than AC5 (also 1 heat each) are not really good for sustained dps.
Using 4x (U)AC5, 2x AC20/10 or Gauss is usually the better option on the KC.

Yeah, the AC2's need to have ghost heat removed from them all together. I would rather get dakka'd by 6 X AC2's than 4 X UAC5's any day...

6 X AC2's can be annoying, but unless you just stand their taking fire, they don't do a whole lot of damage. Same as taking some LRM hits.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users