King Crab Build Discussion

162 replies to this topic

#121 Josef Koba

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 527 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 05:42 AM

I run a lot of King Crabs and, luckily, have had a great deal of success in all of them (Average KDR over 2). Here are my four builds.

KGC-000(L) 'Face Hugger'
  • 2 x AC/20 with seven tons of ammo
  • 2 x Medium Lasers
  • 2 x SRM6 with one ton ammo
  • STD 320 with two DHS
  • 1 x External DHS
Pretty straight forward build that wrecks shop. One AC/20 per main mouse button, lasers on four, SRMs on three.

KGC-000(L) 'Buck Shot'
  • 2 x LB 10-X with five and a half tons ammo
  • 2 x AC/5 with eight tons ammo
  • 2 x Medium lasers
  • XL 300
  • CASE
The second 'loyalty' Crab I got. Kind of an odd build, but I can engage from range with the AC/5s and not have to worry about ammo. Chew up that armor. When the fight moves close, the LBs are quite effective at exposed internals (and sneaky lights). Both ACs and both LBs are on their own mouse button.

KGC-000B 'Dueling Fives'
  • 4 x AC/5s with twelve tons of ammo
  • 3 x Medium lasers
  • STD 300 with two DHS
  • 1 x External DHS
I have the least amount of cockpit time in this so I haven't tweaked it. It works pretty good when I take it out. Probably has too much ammo, but alas. Two AC/5s per mouse button. Mediums on button four. Spits out a lot of fire, and we all know the psychological impact of that sort of plinking.

KGC-0000 'King Gauss'
  • 2 x Gauss with four and a half tons ammo
  • 4 x Medium Lasers
  • 1 x LRM15 with one and a half tons ammo
  • 3 x SSRM2s with one ton ammo
  • XL 300 with two DHS
This is easily my favorite build. I know it looks odd, but it works. It's effective at a variety of ranges and threats. I can use the LRM to fire as I approach a good position. The Gauss, well, they wreck things. The cluster of medium lasers is deadly effective against any class of mech. Sweep the legs of lights, punch holes in the bodies of assaults, whatever. The Streaks are great against lights too, but given that there are three of them, they will jar even assault pilots, especially since they're getting hit with two Gauss rounds every few seconds (cooldown module). I also like the Streaks because I do more torso twisting in this one (XL - even though I find that the Crab is somewhat XL friendly). If the lights have ECM, I'm confident enough in my gunnery with the Gauss and four medium lasers to take care of them fairly quickly, especially with the torso twist speed of the Crab. This is definitely a mixed build and probably not favored by the meta crowd. But I have the most fun with this one because it can do a lot of things and isn't a typical Crab build.

#122 Audacious Aubergine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 02:28 AM

Recently demonstrated my poor impulse control and bought all three variants in the recent sale and I've had varying levels of success so far.
Overall, which is the best one for dual AC20? I started with that in the 000 due to quirks, with a pair of LL as backups. It's since been marked for conversion into a 4x AC5 build and I've put that loadout onto the 0000.
Should I swap it all back onto the 000 and use the 000B as the quadcannon variant?

#123 Aleski

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 873 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 03 September 2015 - 08:47 AM

I use this loadouts :

STD 325 + 2x Gauss + 2xLL (6 tons of ammos) (on all the variants)

My favorite one, simple, really heat efficient, nice at long range. 6 tons of ammos isn't a lot, but when i run dry, i have 1k damages most of the time.

STD 300 + 2x AC/10 + 2xPPC + 4xMG (on the 000 variant)

40 points of damages with pin point accuracy. It's very fun but can run hot. The PPC and AC/10 have a very similar velocity, at 400 - 450 meters you are very accurate and powerfull. The 4xMG are for the lolz to finish wounded mechs.

STD 325 + 2x AC/20 + 4xML (0000 variant)

The brawler variant. Quirks are better on the 000 but i prefer the four lasers hardpoints. I don't use missiles cause i think they are too hot with the AC/20...

This chassis is just awesome.

#124 Audacious Aubergine

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 02:24 PM

I'm generally not good enough to consider double gauss, but at some point it might be a consideration. Double AC/10 is definitely in the works on one of them

#125 The Mighty Gible

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 05:55 PM

I've been having a marvelous time with a 2xGauss, 2x ERLL version of the 0000. Mounts an XL 360 since it's meant to fight at long range where most pubs have a hard time responding quickly enough to a threat, and the mobility is insane (for a 'crab).

#126 Audacious Aubergine

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 04:48 AM

Went ahead and did a dual gauss 000B, because what did I have to lose, right?
Turns out it didn't go as badly as I'd feared. Put a gauss and AC2 in each arm in the same weapon group, the idea being to shower someone in potatoes from a distance while the gauss rifles charge, then while the target is getting head-spun by screen shake hit them with a pair of supersonic slugs as well. Results have so far been variable, but I did manage to solo and Orion while under fire from an Executioner and several other mechs.
Also packing a pair of medium lasers for 'backup'

Edited by FreebirthToad18999, 04 September 2015 - 04:54 AM.

#127 Iain Black

• PipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 35 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 04 September 2015 - 06:54 AM

I tried a couple configs - in all cases i dont run Ferro, since Endo is the better choice if you lack slots:

4 AC5, 1 Lg Laser, 3 DHS, ammo - very nice, can sustain fire over Long time on non-hot maps. fits in both 000 and 000b
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...82f22ee28a2403f

4 large lasers, 2 LRM15,no endo, ammo, heatsinks - veritable Long range boat. dont Alpha lasers...
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...1bd38c6827442aa

2 LB10X, 3 SRM6 (no ArtIV), 3 MPulse - can get ugly and hot very fast in a brawl,but very fun for reaping off damaged mechs. chainfire te SRMs. use pulses to open up, then chug away with spread damge.

2 AC10, 2 large lasers, 3 SRM 4, a few DHS, AMMO - good medium range power, but not big on anything. 2 PPC works fine, too, if you reduce the SRM. Minimum range is ok, you have SRMs.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...69f1a6e81949383

i tried 4ERPPC, too hot for my taste, even if 2+2ing.

6 MGs, 2 ER PPC and LRMs - nice boat, with some nasty surprise.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...ac1c506bac7ef54

same, faster, short range
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...56cfaf378961944

don't Forget theB33f`s Wall Crab (2 gauss, ammo) if used by a coordinated Group.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...9001e30ab12bc95

EDIT:
curretly running the 0000 with 4 large pulse (fire 2+2) and 3 SR4. decent Alpha, all weapon mountpoints higher ten Cockpit. very manageable.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...3fbabecfb932091

my current verdict is this variant and 4 AC5+lg laser are best Fitting my Play style.

Edited by Iain Black, 08 October 2015 - 03:54 AM.

#128 Iain Black

• PipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 35 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 08 October 2015 - 04:35 AM

this one was shamelessly taken from the kingcrab champion discussion (no idea who had that idea, it is a lot of stuff to sift through) and i like it :D
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...a3ecdd165964868

will give it a whirl.

#129 Nine-Ball

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 617 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 08:15 PM

XL350 gives you good speed for a 100 tonner - 63.4 with speed boost. Add in the +25% torso twist speed and you'll feel like your playing a 50 tonner.

#130 Digimat

• Pip
  • The Star
  • The Star
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 08:19 AM

I just started playing MWO but i have to say so far the crab is my favorit.

i ended up with 2 AC2 + 2 LB10X and a lot of ammo :D
KGC-000B

thoose AC2s dont do a lot of damage but you can distract people from far away, and go in blasting all guns without heat problems. by the time i am on target they are usally damaged and the LBX´s nicely churn through ammo. works great when going in late cleaning up. bämm-bämm-bämm-bämm-bämm-kill ;)

Edited by Digimat, 25 October 2015 - 08:31 AM.

#131 Cog777

• PipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 23 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 01:48 PM

After the big re-balance, I vote for 2AC20 + PPC and 340 sdt engine. PPC is good for starting the fight from distance.
I have found that KGC is very vulnerable using XL engine.. particularly after speed/acceleration nerf.
Maybe with XL360 + UAC5/AC2?

Edit: I think that quick engine is important so I don't use smaller engine below 340.

Edited by Screw, 17 December 2015 - 01:50 PM.

#132 Dawnstealer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 17 December 2015 - 02:03 PM

000 with the AC20 cooldown - it's almost a UAC20:

KGC-000

AC20s, ERLL, AMS, STD 310.

#133 Oldbob10025

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 831 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationOldfolks home

Posted 09 January 2016 - 01:01 AM

View PostKjudoon, on 08 March 2015 - 02:27 AM, said:

Fave build so far: 2- LRM15 +Artemis 2- LPLs 6- MGs Got a big XL in it since everything hits CT and that extra maneouverability really matters in rolling damage. I particularly love watching lights freak out when suddenly they start to melt under the hailstorm of bbs I chuck at them when they thought it was an easy kill and the 2 LPLs opening them up faster than you can say "Awesome Sauce". Experimenting with 2 - AC2s 2 - AC5s 2 - LPLs Again, it's pretty wild watching stuff evaporate in it's funky syncopated rhythm..

I tried the 6mg version and lowered the lrms to 10's with more ammo and I like it on first try 800 damage with 3 kills... very nice build

#134 Mannson

• PipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 39 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 09:50 AM

My Jack of all crabs KGC-000b
Stock engine, ES, DHS
4x Uac5
3x LRMS
3x Medium lasers

Sure, doesn't brawl like dedicated brawler, doesn't lurm or snipe like dedicated sniper, but can function up to 900 range and especially when team mates are by side, it can bring dem hurt. Also, LRMs because welll.. when in pugs, my KC is last to arrive to line, so getting in some "cheap damage" with LRMs is nice. No on expects lurming crab

#135 Digital_Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 441 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 10:14 AM

View PostMannson, on 15 January 2016 - 09:50 AM, said:

My Jack of all crabs KGC-000b
Stock engine, ES, DHS
4x Uac5
3x LRMS
3x Medium lasers

Sure, doesn't brawl like dedicated brawler, doesn't lurm or snipe like dedicated sniper, but can function up to 900 range and especially when team mates are by side, it can bring dem hurt. Also, LRMs because welll.. when in pugs, my KC is last to arrive to line, so getting in some "cheap damage" with LRMs is nice. No on expects lurming crab

I run my KGC-000B either dual guass + MPL, dual AC20 + ML and a few LRMS or quad AC5 + ML/MPL + LRM. I change back and forth between all of them often (sometimes several times a night). Completely agree that KGCs need some ERLLs/ERPPCs or LRMS in PUGs because you need the ability to throw some damage down range while you catch up to the team (especially the AC20 KGCs). Tend to run 300-330 STD engines in them depending on the setup.

As to LRM KGCs, I don't run it very often, but my KGC-0000 has 3x ERLLs (with Advanced Zoom) and 2 (sometimes 3)x LRM15+Artemis and LOTS of LRM ammo. People look at me funny (especially in solo queue) for it, but actually tend to have pretty good damage and kills with it as long as I don't get light swarmed at the start of a match. 100 tons of fire support will wreck someone's world especially with the maxed out range modules for both ERLLs and LRM15s on it. Took it out some last night with the event and was wracking up 800-1100 damage per game with 2-6 Kills Most Damage Dealt a match consistently.

Edited by LadyDanams, 15 January 2016 - 10:55 AM.

#136 Quick209

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 11:15 PM

Hey,
Still crossing over my mech building skills from the old Mechwarrior games to this one. I bought the KGC because, well, it reminded me of the Robocop Ed-209. "Shutdown your mech and exit it immediately. You have 30 seconds to comply."

Anyway, I got the KGC-000B(C). Started with the default packing the 4 UltraAC/5s. Felt awesome in chain fire mode. Really made me feel like the ED. Then I wanted more. So I reconfigured as below to have just 2 ERLL so I don't feel useless at long range (plus I hated getting hit and not being able to answer back) and a pair of AC/20s (because I believe this mech was built for them) to drive the point home at close range. Armor I left maxed for survivability to extend my presence of fear.

Build Name: Dungeness

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...5c799accf04fb2e

In this build I remember a moment it was just me and about 4 of our lights left and I was able to protect them like a bear does its cubs, as they huddled around me behind a mountain, from the 4 mean heavies coming at them. The lasers made them have to use cover when approaching and then they tried to circle the mountain, the AC/20s made them scatter into the opening so my lights could swarm around them like to chew on the tasty bits.

I'm lovin this redux of the Mechwarrior games.

#137 Digital_Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 441 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 11:33 PM

A good basic build. A few easy change suggestions, put most of your ammo in CT and Head. If those go, you are dead anyway, and that way you don't lose half you ammo if someone legs you. Also for the same reason I would move one of those heat sinks to the other side. KGCs tend to lose side torsos in matches, so balancing between the two sides can help reduce the risk of losing a side.

The 000 is quirked specifically for AC20s, the 000B has a good balance of quirks for energy missile and ballistic, and the 0000 has all it's quirks in energy and missiles with no ballistics quirks.

#138 Windscape

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • CS 2021 Silver Champ
  • 755 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 11:54 PM

the Underrated Crap Flinga

KGC-000 (my current build)

KGC-000 (improved)

And heres a screenshot to prove that its underrated
https://imgur.com/ed...4EHQrjs4I7sjPaM

#139 LeVa

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 12:40 PM

Hey all,

I just wanted to get your opinions on this build. It seems to be the highest DPS output full armored brawler I can put together. What do you think?

Crabby

Edited by LeVa, 20 February 2016 - 12:40 PM.

#140 zudukai

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 01:06 PM

View PostLeVa, on 20 February 2016 - 12:40 PM, said:

Hey all,

I just wanted to get your opinions on this build. It seems to be the highest DPS output full armored brawler I can put together. What do you think?

Crabby

i suggest looking at how others have built the king crab, i suggest dropping the XL and the streaks, you are not a light hunter, you are the destroyer of worlds.

you don't necessarily require max armor.. but i would say you have wasted tonnage with your secondary weapons, CASE does not protect the side torso that it is in, it only protects the internal explosion from moving inward, meaning you die from XL damage before the case even does anything.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users