Community Warfare Queue - How It Works

250 replies to this topic

#41 Darth Futuza

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 03:38 PM

View PostRioWolf75, on 13 December 2014 - 03:36 PM, said:

Cool, so the big giant feature that PGI has been working on forever - ignoring all the other concerns people had like new maps (no money in new maps they've told us) or addressing the fact that small groups get screwed in matchmaker (they'll get to it someday) - is only for the small amount of people who play this game with 12 or more people.

It would have been nice if I'd been told not to look forward to Community Warfare, instead they've told us CW will make the game even better! It will be AWESOME!

Just not for anyone who is at all a casual player.

Sorry, but that's kind of how teamwork focused games work. Maybe one day they'll make a proper singleplayer mechwarrior game.

#42 Felio

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 03:38 PM

The job of a matchmaker is to make matches so we don't have to. Rather than push this responsibility onto us, investing substantial resources in creating global chat to do so, why not configure the matchmaker to maximize the experience for all players?

I have read many times that the focus is on units and 12-man teams, but I have seen nothing on the reasoning or justification behind it. It comes off like you are picking your favorite players to cater to.

CW is a really fun thing you have created, and we all want to participate and have a good time doing so.

I did not see the original pitch to the founders, but I would guess that many backers were unaware so much of what was promised would only be delivered if they played in a particular way.

My apologies if I am way off base, but this is my perception: Maybe this issue is harder for you to see because getting organized with others comes naturally to you. There's no problem, you may reason, because we could just play the way you like to and everything would be fine. "What's the big deal?" But it doesn't come naturally to everyone. Some players have a very strong aversion to it, in fact. You don't have to understand it, but I hope that you do know it.

Edited by Felio, 13 December 2014 - 03:45 PM.

#43 Josef Koba

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 527 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 03:39 PM

Anything you can do to make it so I can actually get in a match, which I haven't been able to at all yet, is welcome. The emphasis on the 12 man groups is a little disappointing but it is what it is.

#44 Josef Koba

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 527 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 03:42 PM

View PostDarth Futuza, on 13 December 2014 - 03:28 PM, said:

You are not suppose to be solo-ing this, sorry but CW really is targeted at groups not individuals. If you want to solo assault/skirmish/conquest are still waiting.

I have a two man, and it isnt' working that well for us either. Is this only a feature for 12 man groups? 'Cause no thanks.

#45 Darth Futuza

• 1,239 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 03:43 PM

View PostFelio, on 13 December 2014 - 03:38 PM, said:

The job of a matchmaker is to make matches so we don't have to. Rather than push this responsibility onto us, investing substantial resources in creating global chat to do so, why not configure the matchmaker to maximize the experience for all players?

I have read many times that the focus is on units and 12-man teams, but I have seen nothing on the reasoning or justification behind it. It comes off like you are picking your favorite players to cater to.

I did not see the original pitch to the founders, but I would guess that many backers were unaware so much of what was promised would only be delivered if they played in a particular way.

My apologies if I am way off base, but this is my perception: Maybe this issue is harder for you to see because getting organized with others comes naturally to you. There's no problem, you may reason, because we could just play the way you like to and everything would be fine. "What's the big deal?" But it doesn't come naturally to everyone. Some players have a very strong aversion to it, in fact. You don't have to understand it, but I hope that you do know it.

I'm curious as to the reasoning behind not wanting to drop with a group? Anti-social?

You don't have to necessarily join a unit, a lot of units will allow guests as long as your polite and don't have a stick up your butt.

#46 Gooner

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 138 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 03:44 PM

One thing that I've seen suggested in other threads that might help that I definately agree with would be some sort of "instant action" button. I'm fine with the way groups of 2 or 6 or whatever combine together, but the thing that bothers me is the "each planet is its own queue" thing. There are ALOT of planets out there, and how do I know which one will get me into the action quickest?

There are going to be times where my mindset will be "I just want to help Davion defend a planet. I don't care which planet". You could have a tick box for attack / defend / both and then just click launch and the matchmaker will find you a planet relevant to your faction.

#47 Darth Futuza

• 1,239 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 03:45 PM

View PostJosef Koba, on 13 December 2014 - 03:42 PM, said:

I have a two man, and it isnt' working that well for us either. Is this only a feature for 12 man groups? 'Cause no thanks.

In my experience it works best with: 4, 6, 8, or 12 man groups. 2 man's will likely find it difficult to get in matches quickly. But its okay if you don't want to play CW, assault/skirmish/conquest still work just fine.

#48 Sky Hawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts
  • LocationDeep Periphery, aka Hungary

Posted 13 December 2014 - 03:45 PM

I would prefer, that Karl write a side-algoritm, which count the smaller Groups and Solo Players.. And, when there are much more Players all together, then in the Larger Groups... MM should start firest some Matches, just for them... Like 12 Solo vs. 12 Solo... Because, even, when CW is developed for Larger Units.. Many of us have not time for that.. I am sure.. many Solos would be there in the Future too..

PS. Congrat. for the high Player Numbers.. now I understand, why could I play tonigth more Matches, then yersterday.. Thanks!

#49 Kageru Ikazuchi

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 03:51 PM

View PostRuss Bullock, on 13 December 2014 - 10:55 AM, said:

- Show the real numbers of players in the pre-queue of each planet.

More Transparency is good, and should help focus the population during non-peak times.

- Allow players to group with all players of the same faction whether they are in your unit or not.

This is a good change. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that a mixed-unit group will flip a planet for a faction, but might not flip it for your unit?

- Add a global faction chat with easy abilities to friend/group with players.

Good. It will be nice to be able to coordinate with other faction units.

Sorry for the quick post that may not be perfectly written but I wanted to get this information into your hands for your weekend playing.

Information now (assuming it's right) is almost always better than waiting -- THANKS!

One other idea that I would like to propose, is an option to have a queue for each faction, where the faction sends you to defend or attack the planet where it needs you.

With the possibility of mixed-unit groups, then this could work for both mixed-unit groups, unit groups (as an option), and solo players. Unit Groups should still always have the option to attack or defend the planet of their choosing.

Anyhow, thanks for the update.

#50 Telmasa

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 03:56 PM

Being able to see how many people are on a planet (and hopefully the size of the group they are in) would help considerably.

What would help even more, is being able to see a list of all available planets for your current contract, with the current player population information available next/under each planet name in whatever tab it appears in. (Hint hint, interface team!)

Eventually, though, I think you ought to really consider having the "pre-qeue" matchmaker working before planet selection.

That is, you say the qeue only exists on a per-planet basis; what I am imagining right now is a system that, without any specific planet in mind, allows solo and small units of players to ready up, and by checking a tick box or something, tell the matchmaker: "Just put us in on any planet where we make a fit to get a game launched!".

Could even allow 12-mans to do that, I suppose, despite the fact they might as well just pick the planet ahead of time.

Otherwise, even with the additions Russ outlined, Community Warfare is going to continue to feel like a hit-or-miss waiting game.

#51 Wookiemart

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 28 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 04:17 PM

All this effort to automate match making is a big fat waste of time.

In reality all we need is a lobby that people can join in as either attacker or defender depending on planet's current affiliation ready up and drop, end of story.

Planets with a populated loby could get a little flag or a blinky or something to help you find them on the galactic map.

End of story.

#52 Karamarka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 809 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 04:23 PM

- Allow players to group with all players of the same faction whether they are in your unit or not.

Also would help if their was more planet information.

Like who is attacking/defending a particular planet from what faction

Also, planet stats in a bar over the planet instead of having to click every planet to see its progression.

And maybe a list that shows ONLY your factions planets, i don't care to defend Clan Wolfs planets - so i hate they show up in that defenders list.

#53 SirWolfgang

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 26 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 04:24 PM

Until official chat happens, we have one setup here: https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/#mechwarrior

Edited by SirWolfgang, 13 December 2014 - 07:38 PM.

#54 Wookiemart

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 28 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 04:34 PM

View PostSirWolfgang, on 13 December 2014 - 04:24 PM, said:

Until official chat happens, we have one setup here: http://webchat.freen...els=mechwarrior

Hats of to you or whoever came up with that idea, great initiative.

You'd think the game could provide such a simple tool.

#55 Joe Mallad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,740 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 13 December 2014 - 04:42 PM

what we need is the ability for multiple ques on the same planet. Instead of everyone waiting in one ques for the next 12 man to be formed and IF you are lucky the MM wont skip over you because there are 12 mans already there and THEY are priority.

At least open the planet up to 3 or 4 ques so we can get more than 1 battle per planet happening at the same time.

#56 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,199 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 13 December 2014 - 05:25 PM

These changes will help a lot. I hope more will come later.

My feedback:

- Why it is hard for a solo player to get into a planet? Can't you just get the larger group there and complete it with solo players?
- Clans are still better than IS. It's extremely hard to attack a Clan planet (they have weapons with better range and are able re-position easily because of the superior speed). There is no IS deck that compares with 3 Stormcrows + 1 Timberwolf. Wouldn't it be fair if Clans had a smaller weight limit? Something like 200 or 220 tons?
- These surprise counter-attacks are annoying. If I chose to defend, why the heck the game starts and I'm suddenly attacking?
- Defending is too easy. Attackers simply can't brawl inside the enemy base, even with the turrets down, not only because of the "endless" spawn of fresh enemy mechs, but because those dropships will beat the attackers hard.
- Attackers will never be able to kill all defenders in 30 minutes.

Edited by Odanan, 13 December 2014 - 05:46 PM.

#57 QuimMorius

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 196 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 13 December 2014 - 05:27 PM

Quick fix, solo players can be put in a que that fills up whatever is needed in relation to their faction, no planet selection no attack/defence selection, groups can select planet to fight and get filled up with qued solo players with FIFO system.

#58 Kill Dozer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 343 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 05:42 PM

"Allow players to group with all players of the same faction whether they are in your unit or not."

Excellent news, great news for smaller units.

#59 Joe Mallad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,740 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 13 December 2014 - 05:43 PM

View PostOdanan, on 13 December 2014 - 05:25 PM, said:

These changes will help a lot. I hope more will come later.

My feedback:

- Why it is hard for a solo player to get into a planet? Can't you just get the larger group there and complete it with solo players?
- Clans are still better than IS. It's extremely hard to attack a Clan planet (they have weapons with better range and are able re-position easily because of the superior speed). here is no IS deck than compares with 3 Stormcrows + 1 Timberwolf. Wouldn't it be fair if Clans had a smaller weight limit? Something like 200 or 220 tons?
- These surprise counter-attacks are annoying. If I chose to defend, why the heck the game starts and I'm suddenly attacking?
- Defending is too easy. Attackers simply can't brawl inside the enemy base, even with the turrets down, not only because of the "endless" spawn of fresh enemy mechs, but because those dropships will beat the attackers hard.
the reason its so hard for solo players and smaller units to get into a match is because as long at the match maker finds pre-made 12 mans in the que, it will keep picking them over making a 12 man out of the random number of other waiting in the que. If no 12 man pre-mades are in that planet que, THAN the match maker will put together 12 mans out of whoever is there. If 12 man pre-mades stay on that planet all night, the match maker will keep picking them over the smaller units and solo players.

Edited by Yoseful Mallad, 13 December 2014 - 05:46 PM.

#60 scruffy416

• PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 06:15 PM

View PostOdanan, on 13 December 2014 - 05:25 PM, said:

As someone in another thread pointed out, this is NOT a Skirmish match - if you try to kill all of the defenders, instead of trying to reach the Objective (kill the Orbital gun), you will lose. Took me about 5 or 6 matches until I faced up against an attacking team that knew this, and ran right past us to the generator and blew it to hell. Most of the defenders were still hanging around the gates wondering what just happened.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users