Marik/liao Ceasefire

336 replies to this topic

#201 DaemonWulfe

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 28 January 2015 - 10:07 AM

View PostMolossian Dog, on 28 January 2015 - 03:28 AM, said:

It is kind of embarassing that we have to apologize for things out of our control. But here I do. PGI decided to turn the merc-employer relationship upside down and we are sorry they bothered you.

Thankfully they are no danger.

Sorry Joe, but I disagree in the strongest terms possible.

We haven´t even taken back what belongs to us. Making nice with the Elsies and the Dave will cut us off from what is rightfully ours.

If the FedCom is so desperate to form a grand alliance against the sister boinkers, they better give it back and then we can talk. The FWL shouldn´t be a junior partner in an alliance with people that invaded it and won´t give the occupied worlds back.

The thing is, we will get it back. The only question is if it will be sooner or later.

And I pretty much count on the Liaos feeling the same.

It's no biggie. It's kind of like having a testing ground with moving targets and we get paid handsomely for the defense. We're also aware that PL is acting independently of Marik command.

#202 Neutron IX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,018 posts
  • Location"Soylent Green. It's what's for dinner."

Posted 28 January 2015 - 10:47 AM

View PostMolossian Dog, on 28 January 2015 - 03:28 AM, said:

It is kind of embarassing that we have to apologize for things out of our control. But here I do. PGI decided to turn the merc-employer relationship upside down and we are sorry they bothered you.

Thankfully they are no danger.

Sorry Joe, but I disagree in the strongest terms possible.

We haven´t even taken back what belongs to us. Making nice with the Elsies and the Dave will cut us off from what is rightfully ours.

If the FedCom is so desperate to form a grand alliance against the sister boinkers, they better give it back and then we can talk. The FWL shouldn´t be a junior partner in an alliance with people that invaded it and won´t give the occupied worlds back.

The thing is, we will get it back. The only question is if it will be sooner or later.

And I pretty much count on the Liaos feeling the same.

Truth be told, historically, there is EVERY reason for House Marik to continue to beat on Steiner.

The way the Inner Sphere map traditionally works, is that a House tends to hate most, the two Houses on its immediate borders, with the denizens of a faction traditionally hating most, the faction nearest the border they were born or live closest to. Hence why Rip, a native of the Capellan March, can be a bit more forgiving of House Kurita than many fellow Davions, but holds Max Liao in the same regard generally reserved for dog farts, or the ****** virus. :P

This is why, when Katrina Steiner reached out to the other House Lords, Hanse Davion was the only one to respond, simply because Houses Marik and Kurita had mistrust of Steiner too deeply ingrained, and House Liao generally didn't trust anyone, except MAYBE Kurita.

And thus the Fed-Com was born.

This is also what made the Concord of Kapteyn a tenuous alliance at best. Kurita had decent relations with both Marik and Liao, but Marik and Liao had similar centuries of conflict between them to what they had on their other borders with Davion and Steiner. House Marik actually almost torpedoed the Concord simply BECAUSE it meant an alliance with Liao. The REAL winner in the Concord of Kapteyn was House Kurita, since they basically got two warring houses to agree to a loose alliance with each other, that stood to potentially take pressure off their own borders. http://www.sarna.net...cord_of_Kapteyn

If you want to play like a TRUE Marik warrior...you hate Steiner and Liao with near equal fervor, and attack Davion simply because your "allies" tell you to. ;)

Of course, the reverse is also true of Davion warriors, who should hate Kurita and Liao with equal fervor, and only attack Marik in support of their allies, House Steiner.

But then again this isn't the lore. :P

And like I say, I'm more of the Victor Steiner-Davion/Jaime Wolf school of thought (a school of thought I wish were more widespread among the Houses). Which is to say, screw this...let's kill those freaking vat-babies! :ph34r:

#203 Molossian Dog

• 1,393 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 11:46 AM

Thanks Rip, but I am well versed in BTU lore. I also know exactly what "support" Janos Marik sent when asked for help by his "ally" Max Liao. (hilarious passage in a sidebar of the House Marik Handbook)

I also know the old Marik proverb: "Never turn your back to a Liao, but shoot a Steiner on sight."

Lore wise you Davions would have no business at our borders anyways, as the Sarna March was given to Melissa Steiner.

But this isn´t lore.

Although if I would have to build in the PL into lore I´d say they are Anduriens. Those guys are just crazy. (Says the Regulan)

#204 Neutron IX

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 12:06 PM

View PostMolossian Dog, on 28 January 2015 - 11:46 AM, said:

Thanks Rip, but I am well versed in BTU lore. I also know exactly what "support" Janos Marik sent when asked for help by his "ally" Max Liao. (hilarious passage in a sidebar of the House Marik Handbook)

I also know the old Marik proverb: "Never turn your back to a Liao, but shoot a Steiner on sight."

Lore wise you Davions would have no business at our borders anyways, as the Sarna March was given to Melissa Steiner.

But this isn´t lore.

Although if I would have to build in the PL into lore I´d say they are Anduriens. Those guys are just crazy. (Says the Regulan)

Spot on man, spot on.

And I actually was intending my post as a support to yours, regarding the post you quoted about peace with House Steiner.

Sorry if I caused any confusion. :P

(P.S. Love the PL as the Anduriens bit. :D )

#205 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 28 January 2015 - 12:49 PM

Of course, this time Davion made the critical error that it doesn't "historically" in TT- it pushed hard enough in all directions to give the Concord signatories a VERY good reason to forgo old rivalries in favor of punting Fedrats left and right.

At this point in 3050, Davion would be shifting units to defend Lyran-area worlds and forgoing attacks on everyone else. In MWO, they decided it'd be a better idea to take all the neighboring worlds they could while Kurita was distracted and beset.

Oops.

#206 Neutron IX

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 12:56 PM

View Postwanderer, on 28 January 2015 - 12:49 PM, said:

Of course, this time Davion made the critical error that it doesn't "historically" in TT- it pushed hard enough in all directions to give the Concord signatories a VERY good reason to forgo old rivalries in favor of punting Fedrats left and right.

At this point in 3050, Davion would be shifting units to defend Lyran-area worlds and forgoing attacks on everyone else. In MWO, they decided it'd be a better idea to take all the neighboring worlds they could while Kurita was distracted and beset.

Oops.

Yeah, the roll-out of CW was a bit confusing in that regard.

I wish we'd had a "pre-Clan Invasion" period honestly. Some sort of "Succesion Wars/Trials of Possession" kind of thing, with the Clans battling each other in some sort of homeworld cluster map, and we in the IS duking it out for a bit to get out our House rivalries.

THEN bring in the Invasion corridors and let us have a true Clan Invasion.

Would have been awesome.

*Edited to add...speaking of "cluster"...that pretty well describes the current state of CW. Just a giant old cluster. ;) I really do hope that they actually end up doing a map reset once the beta ends, to give us a chance to re-right the ship a bit, as it were.

Edited by Rip Snorgan, 28 January 2015 - 01:00 PM.

#207 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 28 January 2015 - 12:59 PM

Clans battling each other in some sort of homeworld cluster map

If I recall, the Clan worlds are even marked on the CW map- just greyed out.

#208 Neutron IX

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 01:03 PM

View Postwanderer, on 28 January 2015 - 12:59 PM, said:

If I recall, the Clan worlds are even marked on the CW map- just greyed out.

I'm pretty sure you're right, which is why I hold out hope for such things I think. :ph34r:

#209 Kjudoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 28 January 2015 - 01:12 PM

They were lit up for Christmas Day with the battle animation. All worlds were that day. It's how I found out all the planets are on the map. Pretty darn cool

#210 Davers

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 28 January 2015 - 01:24 PM

View PostRip Snorgan, on 28 January 2015 - 12:56 PM, said:

Yeah, the roll-out of CW was a bit confusing in that regard.

I wish we'd had a "pre-Clan Invasion" period honestly. Some sort of "Succesion Wars/Trials of Possession" kind of thing, with the Clans battling each other in some sort of homeworld cluster map, and we in the IS duking it out for a bit to get out our House rivalries.

THEN bring in the Invasion corridors and let us have a true Clan Invasion.

Would have been awesome.

*Edited to add...speaking of "cluster"...that pretty well describes the current state of CW. Just a giant old cluster. ;) I really do hope that they actually end up doing a map reset once the beta ends, to give us a chance to re-right the ship a bit, as it were.

I'll just mention an idea that I mentioned one night on the Marik TS-

If there is a reset, I would 100% support a set system of ceasefires where all the Southern Houses spend a week or two joining the Northern Houses- not just doing defence drops, but actually joining and taking territory for them. If everyone can agree to this, then we won't have to worry about our backfields as we will all be up front at the same time. If the Clans want to be one big faction, I see no reason the IS can't do the same against them.

Edited by Davers, 28 January 2015 - 01:34 PM.

#211 Faith McCarron

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 01:44 PM

View PostKjudoon, on 28 January 2015 - 01:12 PM, said:

They were lit up for Christmas Day with the battle animation. All worlds were that day. It's how I found out all the planets are on the map. Pretty darn cool

Yeah they did a pretty amazing job. There are planets on the map in the most oddball places, no idea where they got their planetary info, but it is 100% complete as far as I can tell.

#212 Molossian Dog

• 1,393 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 03:06 PM

I guess they bought the Catalyst products which flesh out the Inner Sphere, as well as the near and far periphery.

The Hanse Worlds, the Umayyad Caliphate (spelling?) New St. Andrews, Chainlain Islands (again, spelling?), Tortuga, even the wonky stuff ant-spinward of the Outworlds Alliance (for you non-lore guys, that is to the right) it is all there.

Well done.

(Yes, even I can approve of PGI sometimes. I am not above admitting that they did something right.)

#213 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 28 January 2015 - 03:29 PM

Oh... for the Periphery

#214 Faith McCarron

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 04:17 PM

View PostMolossian Dog, on 28 January 2015 - 03:06 PM, said:

I guess they bought the Catalyst products which flesh out the Inner Sphere, as well as the near and far periphery.

The Hanse Worlds, the Umayyad Caliphate (spelling?) New St. Andrews, Chainlain Islands (again, spelling?), Tortuga, even the wonky stuff ant-spinward of the Outworlds Alliance (for you non-lore guys, that is to the right) it is all there.

Well done.

(Yes, even I can approve of PGI sometimes. I am not above admitting that they did something right.)

Yeah but it's still a lot of coordinating data from different sources, there's never been a one-stop map of the Battletech universe to the best of my knowledge.

#215 xX PUG Xx

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,721 posts
  • LocationThe other side of nowhere

Posted 28 January 2015 - 04:58 PM

Are the various IS maps available in Google searches not considered Canon? I remember seeing a website that had them listed by year, something like "stellar cartography" but can't remember exactly.

I'm using my phone at the moment or I would search and post the link.

However I agree the detail PGI have put into the map is good and it would have been good to have started as Rip suggested. Segregate the Clans from the IS for a "season" and see what happens. I guess there is still a chance for them to do that in the future.

#216 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 05:08 PM

Www.sarna.net

That is TEH TRUTHZ

#217 Molossian Dog

• 1,393 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 02:23 AM

No, Sarna is not canon. It tries very hard to stay as close to canon as possible and does a very good job, but it is not considered canon by Catalyst.

And the only canon maps are those done by Oystein.
(can´t do the crossed out O that the scandinavians love so)

If you want to be 100% sure you are in line with canon, buy the canon material. That is Catalyst books or PDFs.

#218 Piddles

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 53 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 05:12 AM

View PostMolossian Dog, on 28 January 2015 - 11:46 AM, said:

Had to look that up, I like it!

#219 Molossian Dog

• 1,393 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 07:57 AM

Then the Anduriens never worked for the Dave.

#220 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 10:50 AM

Sarna is run by elite ubernerds. If you can find a point where it differs from canon without saying "this is not canon but x source" I'd be surprised.

Though I am 100% onboard with directing people to buy the source material instead of free online reference.

There is no better way to support BT and show interest than buying BT stuff.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users