Is Attack Vs Clan Is Not Fun

196 replies to this topic

#1 Clydewinder

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 447 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 07:21 AM

I have 12 or 13 drops in CW so far, and the IS vs IS are great. Good tactics, brawling, etc. The battles feel right, which is something the game has been missing.

However, all of the attacks against clanners are total goat ropes. I'll select a Defend mission, it will turn into a counter attack on the ice planet and without fail our team will be down 3 mechs before the gate is even open.

By the time I get to my 3rd mech, the clan mechs have already camped our drop ship spawns.

It's very discouraging to wait that long for a match and then just get slaughtered. Every match is 36 stormcrows and 12 timberwolves with few variations.

I expect the normal barrage of "learn to play L2P" responses that are the automatic reply to every thread on MWO...

...but it's a GAME people, it should be fun.

In the meantime, I'm done with IS vs Clan battles until something changes.

#2 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 07:28 AM

They should up the dropweight for IS to 250. But keep it at 240 for Clans.

#3 Ursh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,321 posts
  • LocationMother Russia

Posted 15 December 2014 - 07:29 AM

Not really the fault of the TW or SCR as much as it is the fault of PGI for not making some common sense alterations to the other models. The SCR is always better than the Ice Ferret or Nova. The TW is always better than the other three heavies.

#4 Rhaythe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 07:34 AM

I find defending against test tube babies to be extremely fun and challenging. But attacking a Clan outpost on the new snow map is a horrible, horrible experience overall. Range and a lack of cover are two big factors.

#5 Khobai

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 07:34 AM

Not really the fault of the TW or SCR as much as it is the fault of PGI for not making some common sense alterations to the other models. The SCR is always better than the Ice Ferret or Nova. The TW is always better than the other three heavies.

Honestly its no different from IS players taking four Dragon 1Ns. Thats just as powerful if not more so. Dragon 1Ns are crazy strong.

But I do feel IS should get +10 extra tons on their drop decks. That would help balance IS vs Clan a little better plus then founders could take all four founders mechs.

Edited by Khobai, 15 December 2014 - 07:37 AM.

#6 ContingencyPlan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 105 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 07:35 AM

View PostUrsh, on 15 December 2014 - 07:29 AM, said:

The SCR and TBW pack so much firepower and with such range that IS has to one-up them on tonnage classes to be able to match it. Drop tonnage limitations mean IS can only field one wave worth of viable countermechs given that fact, while clanners have 3 more waiting...

#7 Rhaythe

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 07:38 AM

View PostKhobai, on 15 December 2014 - 07:28 AM, said:

They should up the dropweight for IS to 250. But keep it at 240 for Clans.

That would basically require PGI to admit that clan-tech is overall superior to IS tech, which is what killed the 3 lance versus 2 star idea a few months back. Given history,if anything is done I expect another series of buffs/quirks instead.

#8 AlmightyAeng

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 07:40 AM

Our team has had no issue fighting clanners as compared to IS...hell, last night we had a clan team ask us not to steamroll them before they got their 80 points, to which we responded "Work for your 80, test-tube baby. Grow a pair of Batchalls."

#9 Khobai

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 07:43 AM

That would basically require PGI to admit that clan-tech is overall superior to IS tech, which is what killed the 3 lance versus 2 star idea a few months back. Given history,if anything is done I expect another series of buffs/quirks instead.

the 3 lance vs 2 star idea was scrapped because it was incompatible with matchmaker.

so were stuck with 12v12. But an easy way to balance 12v12 is to adjust the drop deck max limits. Give IS 10 more tons and see how that affects balance.

#10 NextGame

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,071 posts
  • LocationHaggis Country

Posted 15 December 2014 - 07:44 AM

This is a first pass at CW, its going to get balanced to some degree.

I would argue that there are 2 far bigger issues clan drop deck composition, and those are: light rushing at the very start of a game and winning it in 2 mins, and far more importantly, CW Queue wait times.

#11 Rhaythe

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 07:44 AM

View PostKhobai, on 15 December 2014 - 07:43 AM, said:

the 3 lance vs 2 star idea was scrapped because it was incompatible with matchmaker.

so were stuck with 12v12. But an easy way to balance 12v12 is to adjust the drop deck max limits. Give IS 10 more tons and see how that affects balance.

I'm not saying it wouldn't work. I'm just saying it'd require PGI to admit one side is "better".

#12 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,660 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 15 December 2014 - 07:47 AM

It is a game, it is also the first run. There has always been a big difference to how internal testers approaches a challenge vs the target population. Once it does hit the live servers adjustments are generally made and usually more than one time.

The other is how aggressive one side is vs another, be it Clan or IS, just like in the pug queue. Generally, regardless of makeup the more aggressive/non-suicidal/going in the same direction team wins.

For IS, it is lights, for Clans its stormcrows/timberwolves. When IS is defending against the Clans, I have seen 2 successful pug wins out of 8, and those two dealt with fire control and firing lanes, and some very active communication via chat (which definitely needs to be enhanced). The other 6 matches many of the pugs handled it like it was the regular queue with hide and seek while the Clans marched right on through.

Can not wait to see what changes PGI will put through, as well as the community portion that wants to be part of the CW continues to improve with experience.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 15 December 2014 - 07:54 AM.

#13 Hullen Low

Rookie

• The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 07:48 AM

IS attacking clan is tough, especially on the ice planet, that ones nearly impossible. Without a zerg rush..

That being said my favorite CW game was a bunch of us IS pugs attacking a Clan Jade Falcon team on the thermal swamp map. We attacked beta quickly and made the game a close in brawl. The last three members of our team destroyed the generator with :38 seconds left as I legged the 48th, weaponless, clan mech as it ran. It was an incredibly wild and fun match!

#14 ContingencyPlan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 105 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 07:52 AM

View PostHullen Low, on 15 December 2014 - 07:48 AM, said:

IS attacking clan is tough, especially on the ice planet, that ones nearly impossible. Without a zerg rush..

That being said my favorite CW game was a bunch of us IS pugs attacking a Clan Jade Falcon team on the thermal swamp map. We attacked beta quickly and made the game a close in brawl. The last three members of our team destroyed the generator with :38 seconds left as I legged the 48th, weaponless, clan mech as it ran. It was an incredibly wild and fun match!

The snow map really brings into play the imbalance of IS vs. Clan. It's all about range there and the fact that SCRs can field as much range and firepower as an assult mech, and TBRs are even nastier, essentially make it impossible.

#15 LordKnightFandragon

• 7,239 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 07:57 AM

View PostGhost Badger, on 15 December 2014 - 07:40 AM, said:

Our team has had no issue fighting clanners as compared to IS...hell, last night we had a clan team ask us not to steamroll them before they got their 80 points, to which we responded "Work for your 80, test-tube baby. Grow a pair of Batchalls."

What 80 points?

#16 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

View PostRhaythe, on 15 December 2014 - 07:38 AM, said:

They should just release IS mirror versions of clan weapons already, or remove the clan range advantage. Something has to give, and it'll be one of them.

#17 -Natural Selection-

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,631 posts
  • Locationdirty south

View PostGhost Badger, on 15 December 2014 - 07:40 AM, said:

Challenge accepted! :ph34r:

#18 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Biggest problem I run into is the zerg from 12 timbers coming at you. I have two 30 score games because we couldn't hold them back. I started bring an assault but I keep getting "attack mode" even when its a planet defence.

Crows and timbers being the only mechs you fight is boring too.

Edited by Monkey Lover, 15 December 2014 - 08:00 AM.

#19 LordKnightFandragon

• 7,239 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 08:04 AM

View PostVassago Rain, on 15 December 2014 - 07:57 AM, said:

They should just release IS mirror versions of clan weapons already, or remove the clan range advantage. Something has to give, and it'll be one of them.

Ill take a removal of clan range..or atleast some nerfs to it.

#20 Orion Starion

• PipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 65 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSLC, Utah, USA, Terra

Posted 15 December 2014 - 08:07 AM

I have had 0 success vs clans in Attack or Counter-Attack even in full 12 man groups. It's to the point I will not fight on a Clan contested world if I'm choosing drop location.

On the 2 occasions I actually got a defense against Clans we pretty much crushed them. I don't believe either match got close to the generator because the Clans couldn't push through the narrows of the gates. Also mind, both were mixed IS teams not on comms vs 10+2 and 12 man clan groups.

IS vs. IS matches are nice and competetive and usually interesting if you can kill the JJ light rush before they get the generator under 50%.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users