#10021 CDLord HHGD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 23 December 2014 - 05:49 AM

View PostMetus regem, on 23 December 2014 - 05:38 AM, said:

As much as an Urbanmech can be a joke, low speed, little tonnage... Used in a city, they can be devastating in TT, especially the version that mounts an AC20... I have learned to be cautious of Urbanmechs, Annihiltors, SRM Carriers and Infantry in cities...

Like all mechs there will be a learning curve to adapt to it's abilities. Those who can't will call it DOA and be wrong, those who can will find the enjoyment we want and need from this little mech.

#10022 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 23 December 2014 - 05:53 AM

Like my sig says CD, like my sig says...

#10023 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 23 December 2014 - 10:17 AM

Posted Image
arts by Flying Debris
template by Odanan
really crappy attempt to give it a dome by Bishop Steiner

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 23 December 2014 - 10:29 AM.

#10024 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 23 December 2014 - 10:21 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 23 December 2014 - 10:17 AM, said:

Posted Image
arts by Flying Debris
template by Odanan
really crappy attempt to give it a dome by Bishop Steiner

I don't think your attempt was crappy, the problem is just that Alex made the Urbie have a more "angular" body shape instead of the historical rounded trashcan look. So, the round dome isn't bad on its own, it just doesn't "sync" well with Alex's bulkiness and sharp angles.

Edited by FupDup, 23 December 2014 - 10:21 AM.

#10025 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 23 December 2014 - 10:29 AM

View PostFupDup, on 23 December 2014 - 10:21 AM, said:

I don't think your attempt was crappy, the problem is just that Alex made the Urbie have a more "angular" body shape instead of the historical rounded trashcan look. So, the round dome isn't bad on its own, it just doesn't "sync" well with Alex's bulkiness and sharp angles.

actually, the area around the cockpit is very rounded. I think, what needed doing, and is beyond my gimp skills, atm, is to make the ring of dome panels more 3d panel looking.

#10026 wanderer

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 23 December 2014 - 01:26 PM

We've seen the quasi-Urbie in action with the famous Urbiespider video. That thing actually doesn't do badly at all.

The usual MWO rebuilds would give you a darling little ballistic-spraying monster to play with. Bonus: If they deliberately underspeed it, the quirks to it's guns, etc. would make it a wicked defense machine, as intended.

#10027 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 01:46 PM

View Postwanderer, on 23 December 2014 - 01:26 PM, said:

We've seen the quasi-Urbie in action with the famous Urbiespider video. That thing actually doesn't do badly at all.

The usual MWO rebuilds would give you a darling little ballistic-spraying monster to play with. Bonus: If they deliberately underspeed it, the quirks to it's guns, etc. would make it a wicked defense machine, as intended.

So, what the Urbie should be then?

#10028 wanderer

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 23 December 2014 - 02:55 PM

I'd actually give it a lower engine range than normal, give it Dragon/Centurionish generic ballistic buffs with bonuses for the AC specific to it's stock type.

So we'd have an AC/10 chunking along like mad on one, an AC/20 on another, and an LB-10X on a third (the two primary 3025 Urbies + the LB-X refit).

Huge torso twist to help compensate for the stubby arms.

#10029 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 04:34 PM

The AC 20 one actually scares me a little... I can see a hero version of that with ECM hiding in a base on defense in CW making that last push a pain....

#10030 Nathan Foxbane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,984 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 04:54 PM

View PostMetus regem, on 23 December 2014 - 04:34 PM, said:

The AC 20 one actually scares me a little... I can see a hero version of that with ECM hiding in a base on defense in CW making that last push a pain....

Last push. OHAI fresh company of ECM Urbies with AC/20s. It will be fun... for the Urbies.

#10031 Brody319

• The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 05:04 PM

View PostMetus regem, on 23 December 2014 - 04:34 PM, said:

Does this scare you?
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...7a28a03a0528114

#10032 Ovion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 05:05 PM

The canonical ECM Urbie is all energy, with a ppc and lasers.

#10033 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 06:13 PM

Oh wonderful.... All the urbie perks, with out the ammo Achilles heel of ammo...

View PostBrody319, on 23 December 2014 - 05:04 PM, said:

If it can get the jump on me, yes....

#10034 ShadowbaneX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 11:12 PM

View PostBrody319, on 23 December 2014 - 05:04 PM, said:

Urbies are 30 tons, not 35, so you're going to need to trim a bit of weight there. Speaking of which...

View PostMetus regem, on 23 December 2014 - 06:13 PM, said:

If it can get the jump on me, yes....

Also need to find an extra ton of space for the 2 JJs.

I think one of the big things that CBT did that MWO does not, is that your first 10 heat sinks weigh nothing. The limitation that outside engine heat sinks required was space, not tonnage. In MWO you have to pay tonnage for those fewer heat sinks and in the case of something like an urbanmech, that means 6-8 tons, which isn't feasible...or do they factor that in with the lack of a gyro? I can't remember.

Either way, it's possible but I think you're only looking at 1-2 tons of ammo. A company of AC/10 Urbanmechs might almost be more useful at that point. You can engage at range whereas in close you're likely to get ripped to shreds by bigger mechs and you've got more ammo. Or perhaps an 8/4 mix?

Edited by ShadowbaneX, 23 December 2014 - 11:16 PM.

#10035 Brody319

• The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 11:19 PM

View PostShadowbaneX, on 23 December 2014 - 11:12 PM, said:

Urbies are 30 tons, not 35, so you're going to need to trim a bit of weight there. Speaking of which...

Also need to find an extra ton of space for the 2 JJs.

I think one of the big things that CBT did that MWO does not, is that your first 10 heat sinks weigh nothing. The limitation that outside engine heat sinks required was space, not tonnage. In MWO you have to pay tonnage for those fewer heat sinks and in the case of something like an urbanmech, that means 6-8 tons, which isn't feasible...or do they factor that in with the lack of a gyro? I can't remember.

Either way, it's possible but I think you're only looking at 1-2 tons of ammo. A company of AC/10 Urbanmechs might almost be more useful at that point. You can engage at range whereas in close you're likely to get ripped to shreds by bigger mechs and you've got more ammo. Or perhaps an 8/4 mix?

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...ac3c8d52b39fc7c

Here you go. Ac20, urbie. its got 5 tons to make up for the fact that I had to put it in a 35 ton chassis because the AC20 wouldn't fit in the spider. could move the armor around a bit. Raven have the slots open to allow it to work. Since the gun has to be in the arm or an XL won't fit. Sorry, no broken firestarter hitboxes to help the psudo-urbanmech

Edited by Brody319, 23 December 2014 - 11:22 PM.

#10036 Meta 2013

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 131 posts
  • LocationNorth Eastern US

Posted 23 December 2014 - 11:49 PM

ok just one general question in mech design. Who in they're right mind, designs a mech so as soon as you lose one limb, a weaker point on the mech, its rendered useless ... my guess... the folks who eventually lost the war. Even folks with limited knowledge, know enough not to design things with a huge weakness.

Real or imaginary Militaries just aren't that stupid, yet here we are getting mechs that are just that way, why? Gettin tired of purchasing packages, just to find out the mechs are useless after losin a limb. Myst lynx useless mech, one shot your done. Guess if you want to play resource only..and only cap its fine, no such thing as equipping ecm and being able to engage mechs. Ravens must drool when they see one of these running around.

These are fine for imaginary books and games, not worth anything in a multiplayer team based game. Why do you folks bother giving us these crap mechs, gotta be better ones to pick from.

Like the German artillery guns they mounted to guard the coasts that could not turn to face a flank, that didn't work out well for them either.

#10037 SweetJackal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 968 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 11:59 PM

View PostShadowbaneX, on 23 December 2014 - 11:12 PM, said:

The method used is different but the formula is the same. In BT the first 10 heatsinks requiring no tons had their weight paid for by the engine. With some super low rating engines this meant that they got 10 heatsinks for less than 10 tons, the Urban Mech was one of these designs.

In MWO the weight of the engines are reduced for the engines that require external heatsinks to be valid. This is the reason for the full ton increase in weight when you go from a 245 STD rating engine to a 250 STD rating engine, the engine is eating another heatsink into itself and getting one ton fatter.

Implementing the sub-100 rating engines into MWO would require the creation of engines with a negative tonnage due to this method.

Also, if you go ahead and strip your mech of everything in MWO, including armor, then you'll notice that the base weight of the frame is only accounting for the internal structure. Components that should have weight independently like the Gyro are still mounted in your mech but not reflected in the weight. The weight of these components have been rolled into the engine weight.

In the end once you make up a valid build it will weigh the same and take the same crit spaces in MWO as it would in the TT. The one Core Rule they have not been willing to compromise on is changing weight and crit costs/formulas as that would break stock builds. They still use the same formula and get the same answer, they just solve the formula in a different order.

#10038 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,200 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 24 December 2014 - 01:23 AM

View PostMeta 2013, on 23 December 2014 - 11:49 PM, said:

ok just one general question in mech design. Who in they're right mind, designs a mech so as soon as you lose one limb, a weaker point on the mech, its rendered useless ... my guess... the folks who eventually lost the war. Even folks with limited knowledge, know enough not to design things with a huge weakness.

Real or imaginary Militaries just aren't that stupid, yet here we are getting mechs that are just that way, why? Gettin tired of purchasing packages, just to find out the mechs are useless after losin a limb. Myst lynx useless mech, one shot your done. Guess if you want to play resource only..and only cap its fine, no such thing as equipping ecm and being able to engage mechs. Ravens must drool when they see one of these running around.

These are fine for imaginary books and games, not worth anything in a multiplayer team based game. Why do you folks bother giving us these crap mechs, gotta be better ones to pick from.

Like the German artillery guns they mounted to guard the coasts that could not turn to face a flank, that didn't work out well for them either.

Concentrating the firepower in one side of the mech might be an advantage if you know to use torso twist.

Mist Lynx is not a meta mech, but I'm having fun once I learned to play with it. (never walk alone, explore the low priority target advantage and use the jump jets)

#10039 Black Ivan

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,698 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 01:42 AM

The Griffin is becoming more and more useless. The center torso is so easily to damage while the other parts of the mech don't take damage

#10040 ShadowbaneX

• 1,089 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 07:07 AM

View PostBrody319, on 23 December 2014 - 11:19 PM, said:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...ac3c8d52b39fc7c

Here you go. Ac20, urbie. its got 5 tons to make up for the fact that I had to put it in a 35 ton chassis because the AC20 wouldn't fit in the spider. could move the armor around a bit. Raven have the slots open to allow it to work. Since the gun has to be in the arm or an XL won't fit. Sorry, no broken firestarter hitboxes to help the psudo-urbanmech

Just taking 5 tons off doesn't exactly work since the tonnage for the chassis (endo-steel or other wise) depends on the weight. Granted, it's probably minor. The other thing is though: Jump Jets. Granted, this is MWO so people are going to take off 1 JJ & the SL for an extra ton of ammo, so meh, close enough for jazz?

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Facebook