20517 replies to this topic

#14101 jss78

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 01 August 2016 - 10:28 AM

Maybe they could give us an OstPack at one point. Though truthfully I think they would sell quite badly. They are a kind of a fringe-among-a-fringe thing, outliers even among the nostalgic designs the old TT veterans generally like.

But if we ever get them, I demand that the OstSol walks in the lore-correct TRO pose:

Posted Image

But I now crave cheese (ost = Swedish for cheese).

#14102 xVLFBERHxT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wrath
  • The Wrath
  • 698 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 10:46 AM

View PostMetus regem, on 01 August 2016 - 10:27 AM, said:

The Mackie has a variant that isn't primitive....

But some variants are primitive, right?

Posted Image

Edited by TrapJaw80, 01 August 2016 - 10:47 AM.

#14103 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 01 August 2016 - 10:50 AM

TRO 3075:

MSK-8B
MSK-9H

Both of those don't use primitive tech.

Edit:

Yes Trap, the 5S and 6S both use primitive tech.

Edited by Metus regem, 01 August 2016 - 11:03 AM.

#14104 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 01 August 2016 - 10:54 AM

View PostFLG 01, on 01 August 2016 - 09:52 AM, said:

Perhaps you should not be so quick to judge then. As Odanan said, the Ostsol and Ostroc would perform rather well.
Furthermore, we just saw a redesign of the Ostscout which I think is nice:

The other Mechs of the series probably get a similar make-over.
And then there is Alex.

This ^
The redesigned Ostscout is gorgeous. I'm looking forward the bigger (and better) brothers.

Edited by Odanan, 01 August 2016 - 10:56 AM.

#14105 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 01 August 2016 - 11:14 AM

View Postjss78, on 01 August 2016 - 10:28 AM, said:

Maybe they could give us an OstPack at one point. Though truthfully I think they would sell quite badly. They are a kind of a fringe-among-a-fringe thing, outliers even among the nostalgic designs the old TT veterans generally like.

But if we ever get them, I demand that the OstSol walks in the lore-correct TRO pose:

Posted Image

But I now crave cheese (ost = Swedish for cheese).

It'd be really funny if somehow the Ost mechs became meta...

#14106 jss78

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 01 August 2016 - 11:24 AM

View PostTheArisen, on 01 August 2016 - 11:14 AM, said:

It'd be really funny if somehow the Ost mechs became meta...

I'm sure they'd do fine though. Ostsol has ... 6 torso energy hardpoints before any inflation, plus a high engine cap.

OstScout though, lol. I think they fate of this one would depend entirely on where the upcoming InfoWarTM mechanics go, and whether they could work out a role for the OstScout within that.

(I agree that new OstScout linked above looks wonderful.)

#14107 Brain Cancer

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 12:10 PM

Osts are very much like jumpjetless Quickdraws, but with all the guns torso mounted, save for the Ostscout which would likely get Cyclopsish sensor boosting systems. The big brother Ostwar would have to wait until another tech jump.

#14108 Uncle Totty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 1,556 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSomewhere in the ARDC (Ark-Royal Defense Cordon)

Posted 01 August 2016 - 01:42 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 28 July 2016 - 08:31 PM, said:

All the Macross Destroids get love.

And it helps that in TT, the MAD, WHM and ARC were all very effective. Crusader and Rifleman probably got less loves because they required more compromises to translate...

Overall, yes. Which is to be expected. Heavies are the MBTs of the Battletech world. You can, and often have to use Lighter units, but Heavies are the optimal blend of speed, armor and firepower.... and thus the most tactically useful.

Assaults have their place, but usually either they are real slow, and thus of limited uses, or they try to be oversized heavies, and the diminishing returns simply catch up with them.

Case in point:
"Hunter"

(I love you Hunter! Posted Image)

Edited by Uncle Totty, 01 August 2016 - 03:56 PM.

#14109 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 01 August 2016 - 03:51 PM

View Postjss78, on 01 August 2016 - 11:24 AM, said:

I'm sure they'd do fine though. Ostsol has ... 6 torso energy hardpoints before any inflation, plus a high engine cap.

OstScout though, lol. I think they fate of this one would depend entirely on where the upcoming InfoWarTM mechanics go, and whether they could work out a role for the OstScout within that.

(I agree that new OstScout linked above looks wonderful.)

Well I was referencing him telling us that ost is cheese in Swedish & the Ostmechs becoming "cheese" mechs that run "cheese" builds.

#14110 Steinar Bergstol

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,622 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 02 August 2016 - 12:17 AM

View PostTheArisen, on 01 August 2016 - 03:51 PM, said:

Well I was referencing him telling us that ost is cheese in Swedish & the Ostmechs becoming "cheese" mechs that run "cheese" builds.

Ost is indeed cheese in Swedish, and in Norwegian and Danish as well (Three very similar Languages, to the point where Three People from those countries can have a conversation and understand eachother perfectly well without any of them ever switching away from speaking their native language).

I did play a TT MechWarrior campaign some years back where my character (who was from the FRR and therefore spoke Norwegian) piloted an Ostroc which had a tendency to get all shot up on a regular basis and as such was named "Sveitserost", which translates to "Swiss Cheese". Because, you know, cheese with holes in it. Yes, I know. I'm hillarious. :) I wouldn't mind having ol' Sveitserost back and running it around in MWO. :D

#14111 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 02 August 2016 - 03:39 AM

View PostSteinar Bergstol, on 02 August 2016 - 12:17 AM, said:

Ost is indeed cheese in Swedish, and in Norwegian and Danish as well (Three very similar Languages, to the point where Three People from those countries can have a conversation and understand eachother perfectly well without any of them ever switching away from speaking their native language).

I did play a TT MechWarrior campaign some years back where my character (who was from the FRR and therefore spoke Norwegian) piloted an Ostroc which had a tendency to get all shot up on a regular basis and as such was named "Sveitserost", which translates to "Swiss Cheese". Because, you know, cheese with holes in it. Yes, I know. I'm hillarious. Posted Image I wouldn't mind having ol' Sveitserost back and running it around in MWO. Posted Image

Hero Ostroc confirmed! :D

#14112 Steinar Bergstol

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,622 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 02 August 2016 - 03:49 AM

View PostOdanan, on 02 August 2016 - 03:39 AM, said:

Hero Ostroc confirmed! :D

Hey, I'd buy it. :D

Honestly, having seen that gorgeous redesigned Ostscout image posted above I'm kinda torn on whether or not I want the Osts or the Crusader more. Words I never, ever thought I'd see myself type. :) The idea of seeing what Alex could do with those much maligned (and rightfully so) designs is very tempting.

Edited by Steinar Bergstol, 02 August 2016 - 03:59 AM.

#14113 jss78

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 02 August 2016 - 04:05 AM

I'm impressed you can talk with the Danes. I speak somewhat bad Swedish (my third language), and I can manage with Norwegians just fine. But Danish ... GOOD LORD. There's something very weird going on with their pronunciation, though I cannot put my finger on what it is.

I did play a TT MechWarrior campaign some years back where my character (who was from the FRR and therefore spoke Norwegian) piloted an Ostroc which had a tendency to get all shot up on a regular basis and as such was named "Sveitserost", which translates to "Swiss Cheese". Because, you know, cheese with holes in it. Yes, I know. I'm hillarious. Posted Image I wouldn't mind having ol' Sveitserost back and running it around in MWO. Posted Image

Posted Image

#14114 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 02 August 2016 - 07:09 AM

View Postjss78, on 02 August 2016 - 04:05 AM, said:

I'm impressed you can talk with the Danes. I speak somewhat bad Swedish (my third language), and I can manage with Norwegians just fine. But Danish ... GOOD LORD. There's something very weird going on with their pronunciation, though I cannot put my finger on what it is.

Posted Image

Sounds like me trying to talk to Cubans and Puerto Ricans. Admittedly Spanish is also my third language (and going very....slowly) but I felt a lot better talking to my friends from Mexico, Spain, Guatemala, Honduras and Peru.... all of whom I can understand just fine (except when I simply don't know the words used) and found out none of them could understand a bloody thing our Cuban and Puerto Rican friends said.... and usually preferred to talk to them in English, as they understood that better than Caribbean Spanish. (Seriously, when did Spanish change so much that it became Pu-er-TOH LI-co?).

Language. It's a funny thing. Take the average American and put em in a convo with a Cockney or a Tinker, and just sit back and enjoy the look of lost confusion. Or a proper Brit, and dropping em off in the Deep South of the USA.

#14115 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 07:20 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 02 August 2016 - 07:09 AM, said:

Sounds like me trying to talk to Cubans and Puerto Ricans. Admittedly Spanish is also my third language (and going very....slowly) but I felt a lot better talking to my friends from Mexico, Spain, Guatemala, Honduras and Peru.... all of whom I can understand just fine (except when I simply don't know the words used) and found out none of them could understand a bloody thing our Cuban and Puerto Rican friends said.... and usually preferred to talk to them in English, as they understood that better than Caribbean Spanish. (Seriously, when did Spanish change so much that it became Pu-er-TOH LI-co?).

Language. It's a funny thing. Take the average American and put em in a convo with a Cockney or a Tinker, and just sit back and enjoy the look of lost confusion. Or a proper Brit, and dropping em off in the Deep South of the USA.

It's to do with one of the Spanish Kings had a lisp, so the Spanish changed the way that they spoke to mimic the King... This happened some time after the colonization of Mexico and a few other countries....

Bishop, doesn't even need to be a right proper Birt... Just take a Canadian and put us south of the border, I can assure you, there is plenty of confusion there....

#14116 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 07:41 AM

View PostMetus regem, on 02 August 2016 - 07:20 AM, said:

It's to do with one of the Spanish Kings had a lisp, so the Spanish changed the way that they spoke to mimic the King... This happened some time after the colonization of Mexico and a few other countries....

Bishop, doesn't even need to be a right proper Birt... Just take a Canadian and put us south of the border, I can assure you, there is plenty of confusion there....

stop saying "ZED" in place of "ZEE" and we'll be at a good start.

And yes, the Barcelona lisp is....interesting. I remember the first time I heard it was on one of those "Learn a new language" tapes.... "Mi numero de telefono es thinco thinco thinco........"

#14117 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 07:45 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 02 August 2016 - 07:41 AM, said:

stop saying "ZED" in place of "ZEE" and we'll be at a good start.

And yes, the Barcelona lisp is....interesting. I remember the first time I heard it was on one of those "Learn a new language" tapes.... "Mi numero de telefono es thinco thinco thinco........"

It's not the "Zed" vs "Zee" thing... it's "Roof" vs "Ruff"....

#14118 Ovion

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 07:45 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 02 August 2016 - 07:09 AM, said:

As a proper brit, I can honestly say....

No one can understand a cockney.
I'm not even sure the Cockneys do.

#14119 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 07:52 AM

View PostOvion, on 02 August 2016 - 07:45 AM, said:

As a proper brit, I can honestly say....

No one can understand a cockney.
I'm not even sure the Cockneys do.

Good point.

Well thanks to my long running BBC addiction, I often find myself confusing my local friends by inadvertently defaulting to British slang. Still....while some things seem a tad silly, others, like "trainers" instead of "Sneakers" or "tennis shoes" (who the heck plays tennis in high top nikes?) seem pretty sensible.

But the beans and toast thing, I don't think I'll ever get.

#14120 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 02 August 2016 - 11:14 AM

With the Linebacker early bonuses finished, we might get the new mech announced anytime this week.
Ahh the good times when we didn't know what was coming next!

38 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 38 guests, 0 anonymous users