BattleMech Balance

20517 replies to this topic

#1521 Scrawny Cowboy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 574 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:48 AM

Zeus! Dem hardpoints would be one of a kind.

Or a Victor though its hardpoints are identical to a Centurion and now close to an Orion, but dem jumpjets and mobility...

Edited by B3RZ3RK3R, 09 January 2013 - 07:50 AM.

#1522 Kodiak Jorgensson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 935 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:51 AM

View PostAbrissbirne, on 08 January 2013 - 12:50 PM, said:

No one wishng for an Annihilator? Good... four LB-10X ACs are too much to bear (at least for some).

try 4 Gauss, would love to see an annihilator running round this game ;)

#1523 BruteLeo

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBuffalo, NY

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:45 AM

id love to have a fafnir but its out of the time line aways

#1524 ArmageddonKnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 710 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:18 AM

The 1st Clan mech HAS to be the TimberWolf ..aka Mad Cat..its just such a well known design primarily for its apperance on the mechwarrior game covers.

But ofc also becouse it one of my favorite 'later' mechs. :)

It would also be the 1st 75 Tonn mech currently in MWO if im not mistaken, not to mention fast :)
TBH i dont care when it gets into the game ..aslong as it eventually gets into it lol .

EDIT: 2nd 75 tonn mech after the ORION .

Edited by ArmageddonKnight, 09 January 2013 - 11:21 AM.

#1525 Der BruzZzler von Wiesndoof

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationAm Grill

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:14 AM

View PostKodiak Jorgensson, on 09 January 2013 - 07:51 AM, said:

try 4 Gauss, would love to see an annihilator running round this game :D

The return of the mighty Gausszilla! :o
It was fun in MW4 Mercs. Add the Dragoons as a selectable faction and give us this thing! :D

#1526 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:17 AM

View PostThe Birdeater, on 10 January 2013 - 03:14 AM, said:

The return of the mighty Gausszilla! :o
It was fun in MW4 Mercs. Add the Dragoons as a selectable faction and give us this thing! :D

There is a faction called "Merc-Corps". :D

#1527 Der BruzZzler von Wiesndoof

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationAm Grill

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:55 AM

View PostOdanan, on 10 January 2013 - 03:17 AM, said:

There is a faction called "Merc-Corps". :D

Ok, then there's no reason to omit the Annihilator! :D
We've seen it before in MW2, MW3 and MW4 and it didn't bother anyone that it's restricted to the Dragoons.

#1528 Lucas Dagger

• PipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 63 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:38 AM

why no mauler ;) :(

#1529 Ghostrider0067

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 397 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationChandler, AZ, USA

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:34 AM

I don't see the need for a requirement of having multiple variants in order to make a specific mech available. The underlying thought would be to get more money in PGI's coffers, but that's not to say that mechs that only have a variant or two wouldn't be beneficial or desirable for people to buy. Limiting the game to only mechs with numerous variants is lame and limits the uniqueness for players who favor obsure or less plentiful mechs. Growth comes with having a significant number of choices available.... both game wise and financially.

#1530 Xenolance

Rookie

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:40 AM

Soo.. what happened to Battlemech 14? wasn't it the JagerMech or Highlander or something? I guess i just assumed they were releasing them in the numerical order.. which would kinda make sense. Although I can understand that putting out two assault mech's back to back is bad business. I want the Highlander before the Jager anyway.

#1531 Ghostrider0067

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 397 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationChandler, AZ, USA

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:47 AM

View PostThontor, on 10 January 2013 - 09:06 AM, said:

i don't disagree. But the mechanics of the game currently require 3 variants of each mech so that the mech can unlock the elite level mech efficiencies.

So until that changes, minimum 3 variants are what a mech needs to work in MWO, otherwise it would be at a disadvantage of not getting those mech efficiencies like 2x to basic efficiencies.. Speed tweak, etc.

Ahh.. Well, I suppose that makes sense then given how the game is currently set. You'd think that given the number of great and useful mech designs out there that may not have the minimum of three variants, they would have taken that into consideration and established a work-around or something. They're alienating an awful lot of cool stuff by using that method, that much is certain.

#1532 Der BruzZzler von Wiesndoof

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationAm Grill

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:49 AM

We'll see the unannounced Battlemech Nr. 20 ingame in August 2012. ;)
Two mechs each month would be nice, but I think I expect too much.

#1533 CutterWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 658 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:27 PM

MAL-1R, MAL-1K, MAL-1PT5, MAL-3R, and MAL-C The Mauler is just what MWO needs. We need a 90 tonner to fill in the gap between the Stalker and Highlander. Since MWO has already stated that "TT & BT will only be used as a "guide" and not the rule I see no reason why they could not add this mech.

Edited by CutterWolf, 10 January 2013 - 08:31 PM.

#1534 Sennin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 459 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:48 PM

View PostCutterWolf, on 10 January 2013 - 08:27 PM, said:

MAL-1R, MAL-1K, MAL-1PT5, MAL-3R, and MAL-C The Mauler is just what MWO needs. We need a 90 tonner to fill in the gap between the Stalker and Highlander. Since MWO has already stated that "TT & BT will only be used as a "guide" and not the rule I see no reason why they could not add this mech.

The Stalker is 85 tons and the Highlander is 90 tons. They fill two vary different roles. There is no gap between these. The only "gap" is at 95 tons wich the Banshee fills nicely.

Edited by Sennin, 10 January 2013 - 08:48 PM.

#1535 CutterWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 658 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:21 PM

View PostSennin, on 10 January 2013 - 08:48 PM, said:

The Stalker is 85 tons and the Highlander is 90 tons. They fill two vary different roles. There is no gap between these. The only "gap" is at 95 tons wich the Banshee fills nicely.

Only thing is the Banshee offers nothing new to the game. Its basically just an Atlas with 5 tons less, where as the Mauler gives us a duel ballistic assault mech which we don't have and that's is the gap I'm talking about.

Edited by CutterWolf, 10 January 2013 - 09:24 PM.

#1536 Sennin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 459 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:29 PM

View PostCutterWolf, on 10 January 2013 - 09:21 PM, said:

Only thing is the Banshee offers nothing new to the game. Its basically just an Atlas with 10 tons less, where as the Mauler gives us a duel ballistic assault mech which is the gap I'm talking about.

You are not understanding what I am saying. The Banshee is 95 TONS in weight. You keep speaking as if it's 90 and then talk like the Highlander is 95. Let me help you with this...

Banshee...http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Banshee
Highlander...http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Highlander

Notice the Banshee has many different variants that perform different roles at different speeds. The Mauler has and does none of this.

Edited by Sennin, 10 January 2013 - 09:31 PM.

#1537 Der BruzZzler von Wiesndoof

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationAm Grill

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:26 AM

View PostCutterWolf, on 10 January 2013 - 09:21 PM, said:

Its basically just an Atlas with 5 tons less...

B)?
Yes, they look similar. That's all.

#1538 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:45 AM

MAL-1R, MAL-1K, MAL-1PT5, MAL-3R, and MAL-C.

MAL-1R : basic variant - nice (and maybe overpowered) hardpoint selection
MAL-1PT5 : questionable canocicity, but a doable low tech variant.
MAL-3R-UK : nice variant, but has C3, an equipment that has current no plans to add to MWO
MAL-2RC : nice variant, but has C3
MAL-3R : year 3060, and has C3
MAL-C : year 3060, and has C3
MAL-1K : year 3069

Conclusion: if there was C3 in the game, the Mauler would fit, with 3 or 4 variants.

#1539 Strum Wealh

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:01 AM

The MAL-1R, the primary variant, "just came out" in 3049.

The MAL-C doesn't exist until next year (3051), and only differs from the MAL-1R by dropping one ton of AC ammo for a C3 Slave Unit.

The MAL-2R doesn't exist until 3060, and requires IS versions of the UAC/2 and ER Medium Laser.

The MAL-3R doesn't exist until 3062 (though, it at least differs from all of its relatives with arm-mounted ballistics (one LB 10-X in each arm) and a head-mounted energy weapon (Small Laser)).

The MAL-1K doesn't exist until 3069, and requires Light AC/5s and Snub-Nose PPCs.

The MAL-1PT5 isn't a canon variant (but neither are most of the Hero 'Mechs at this point B)).
However, it is identical to the (also non-canon) Linesman - the same hardpoint layout as all of the other Maulers (minus the -3R) with x2 MLas, x4 AC/2, and x2 LRM-10.

Neither the Linesman nor the (actually canon) Daboku are Maulers; both are separate 'Mechs and failed prototypes that never reached the production stage, and both are identical in terms of hardpoint layout to the Mauler.

In summary: the Mauler doesn't have the available variants for the game's XP system, and there is effectively no diversity between variants (as every variant (except the -3R) can be exactly reproduced on every other variant (except the -3R)), and this is why the Mauler is a relatively poor choice relative to other 'Mechs (like the Banshee, Zeus, and/or Cyclops).

Edited by Strum Wealh, 11 January 2013 - 05:29 AM.

#1540 Strum Wealh

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:25 AM

View PostOdanan, on 11 January 2013 - 04:45 AM, said:

MAL-1R : basic variant - nice (and maybe overpowered) hardpoint selection
MAL-1PT5 : questionable canocicity, but a doable low tech variant.
MAL-3R-UK : nice variant, but has C3, an equipment that has current no plans to add to MWO
MAL-2RC : nice variant, but has C3
MAL-3R : year 3060, and has C3
MAL-C : year 3060, and has C3
MAL-1K : year 3069

Conclusion: if there was C3 in the game, the Mauler would fit, with 3 or 4 variants.

That are the official sources for the MAL-2RC and the MAL-3R-UK? B)

'Tis a bit odd that the easily-located references (primarily this website) are all German, and that both of these (ostensibly sub-variants of the MAL-2R and MAL-3R, respectively) are being claimed to predate the base variants by a decade or more. :P

43 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 43 guests, 0 anonymous users