#16561 Sereglach

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,563 posts
  • LocationWherever things are burning.

Posted 06 June 2017 - 08:17 PM

View PostOdanan, on 06 June 2017 - 07:34 PM, said:

They don't need heavier equipment. They just need a big XL Engine, some jump jets and lots of small lasers/SRMs/MGs.

Imagine a mech smaller than the Spider.

Other things to consider are the Light PPC (only 3 tons), LMGs, and HMGs. Those will help increase the viability of lighter mechs (even those with fewer hardpoints for Light PPCs and HMGs). Depending on how Rocket pods are implemented (MekTek-ish version would be pretty good) they could be useful as well.

I really wish we could have gotten the Magshot, AP Gauss, Mech Rifles, Light ACs, and some other stuff (Plasma Rifles and Cannons namely) because they all could have added more viability to lighter chassis. Oh well, they did say in the Chris Lowery and Russ Bullock interview that this was the first wave of new tech (of course no ETA on other stuff), so maybe one day.

#16562 Requiemking

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 2,479 posts
  • LocationStationed at the Iron Dingo's Base on Dumassas

Posted 06 June 2017 - 09:47 PM

View PostOdanan, on 06 June 2017 - 07:31 PM, said:

But the Conjurer is so... uninspired.

So? At least it's canon to the lore, unlike that abomination from MW4.

#16563 Fyrwulf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 262 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 10:13 PM

View PostRequiemking, on 06 June 2017 - 09:47 PM, said:

So? At least it's canon to the lore, unlike that abomination from MW4.

Look, I love the lore as much as the next guy, but a superior looking design is simply a superior looking design.

#16564 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 06 June 2017 - 10:46 PM

View PostFyrwulf, on 06 June 2017 - 10:13 PM, said:

Look, I love the lore as much as the next guy, but a superior looking design is simply a superior looking design.

Frankly, I think the easiest way to solve this dispute would be for the MW4 version to become its own completely separate mech. Call it the Bloodhound, Warhound, or Somethinghound etc.

#16565 Imperius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts
  • LocationOn Reddit and Twitter

Posted 07 June 2017 - 12:19 AM

View PostFyrwulf, on 06 June 2017 - 10:13 PM, said:

QFT

#16566 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 07 June 2017 - 03:50 AM

View PostFupDup, on 06 June 2017 - 10:46 PM, said:

Frankly, I think the easiest way to solve this dispute would be for the MW4 version to become its own completely separate mech. Call it the Bloodhound, Warhound, or Somethinghound etc.

Just call it Hellhound (a version of the Conjurer based on the Black Lanner chassis the Jade Falcons build in IS occupied space). That would consolidate both designs of the mech.

Edited by Odanan, 07 June 2017 - 04:09 AM.

#16567 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 08 June 2017 - 07:56 PM

For those who underestimate the Linebacker, the mech is a beast! Faster than most medium mechs, tanky as the tankiest heavy mechs, it makes a nasty brawler.

People are owning with 6 SRM/6s, but I run 4 Small Pulse Lasers (or 4 ER Medium Lasers, for some ranged capacity) + 4 SRM/4s and the thing is a killer!

Now I really want the Black Lanner. It is 10 tons lighter and just 5 tons less pod space. 6 Small Pulse Lasers + 3 SRM/4s will be a blast! Seriously, that MASC will make the mech dance!

Posted Image
#BlackLanner2017

#16568 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 13 June 2017 - 12:23 PM

What, no comments on this video?

#16569 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 13 June 2017 - 12:58 PM

View PostOdanan, on 13 June 2017 - 12:23 PM, said:

What, no comments on this video?

I've been out all morning so I just saw it..... still laughing. It's great... and the Light effects and sirens are amazing!

#16570 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 13 June 2017 - 01:39 PM

View PostOdanan, on 08 June 2017 - 07:56 PM, said:

For those who underestimate the Linebacker, the mech is a beast! Faster than most medium mechs, tanky as the tankiest heavy mechs, it makes a nasty brawler.

Because it got the quirks - because it was mediocre before.
And thats the issue - you can not thrust that a Mech got good quirks - or in other words when you need quirks that the mech doesn't suck it does suck already.

but you can thrust on hard facts - at the end of the day the Timberwolf still has 28tons pod space, maxed armor and can run almost 90kph.

#16571 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 13 June 2017 - 02:04 PM

View PostKarl Streiger, on 13 June 2017 - 01:39 PM, said:

Because it got the quirks - because it was mediocre before.
And thats the issue - you can not thrust that a Mech got good quirks - or in other words when you need quirks that the mech doesn't suck it does suck already.

but you can thrust on hard facts - at the end of the day the Timberwolf still has 28tons pod space, maxed armor and can run almost 90kph.

So what if it did needed quirks? It's not amazing that PGI can, with a simple increasing of some numbers, to make some outperforming mech into an excellent mech?

#16572 Tordin

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 13 June 2017 - 03:22 PM

View PostOdanan, on 05 June 2017 - 03:51 AM, said:

Let's see the other MW4 mechs:

- Chimera (IS, 40 tons. Pros: iconic MW4 look; was in MW:LL. Cons: only 1 doable canon variant)
- Hellspawn (IS, 45 tons. Pros: Great basic variant. Cons: only 1 doable canon variant)
- Argus (IS, 60 tons. Pros: interesting tonnage, unique looks. Cons: only 2 doable canon variants)
- Thanatos (IS, 75 tons. No doable variant - all have C3)
- Templar (IS, 85 tons, omni. Pros: Looks good, it's one of the few good IS omnimechs, great selection of omnipods. Cons: dangerous XL engine locked, no omni tech for IS in the game yet)
- Longbow (IS, 85 tons. Pros: one of the old Battletech unseens. Cons: assault missile platform)
- Fafnir (IS, 100 tons. Pros: iconic MW4 mech. Cons: vulnerable profile, only 2 doable canon variants)
- Hauptmann (IS, 95 tons, omni. Pros: good selection of variants. Cons: very slow locked speed)

- Hellhound (Clan, 50 tons. Pros: iconic looks. Cons: the iconic look form MW4 is completely different of the Battletech lore)
- Black Lanner (Clan, 55 tons, omni. Pros: can look very good, plenty of good variants, very fast, ECM + MASC, was in MW:LL. Cons: not much room for non-laser weapons)
- Canis (Clan, 80 tons. Pros: interesting tonnage and hardpoint locations. Cons: only 1 doable canon variant, not a well know mech)
- Blood Asp (Clan, 90 tons, omni. Pros: iconic looks, was in MW:LL; the meta mech. Cons: none?)

Mechs from MW3:

- Firefly (IS, 30 tons. Pros: lots of variants, ECM. Cons: didn't carry on to MW4; would be too similar to the Osiris?)
- Owens (IS, 35 tons, omni. Has locked single heat sinks)
- Strider (IS, 40 tons, omni. Has locked single heat sinks)
- Champion (IS, 60 tons. Pros: interesting tonnage, unique looks, lots of variants. Cons: a name that will bring confusion in MWO; somewhat similar to the Dragon; didn't carry on to MW4)
- Avatar (IS, 70 tons, omni. Pros: many variants, was in MW4 and MW:LL. Cons: a little too slow and vulnerable with the locked XL engine)
- Sunder (IS, 90 tons, omni. Pros: many variants, was in MW4. Cons: locked big XL engine, very vulnerable profile)

From MW2 and MW2:M:

- Fire Moth (Clan, 20 tons, omni. Pros: super iconic Clan mech that fills a gap - 20 tons - the Clans don't have yet. Insanely fast. Cons: technical problems to bring a so fast mech to the game)
- Rifleman IIC (Clan, 65 tons. Pros: fills a role the Clans don't have optimized yet - sniper with very high mounts. Cons: IICs are not as charming as new designs)
- Warhammer IIC (Clan, 80 tons. Pros: interesting tonnage. Cons: one more Clan assault and less charming than new designs)
- Stone Rhino (Clan, 100 tons. Pros: iconic looks. Cons: one more Clan assault mech)

And some other Battletech classics:

- Wasp (IS, 20 tons. Pros: in lore, the most common mech in IS; has dozens of canon variants; is one of the most iconic unseens; it's a good alternative for the Locust. Cons: PGI just released an IS light mech)
- Stinger (IS, 20 tons. Can be replaced by the Wasp in looks and role)
- Crusader (IS, 65 tons. Pros: many variants; armed to the teeth; one of the most iconic unseens. Cons: humanoid in a rather crowded 65 tons weight bracket)
- Charger (IS, 80 tons. Pros: variants for all flavors. Cons: bad reputation due to some poor stock variants)

- Bane (Clan, 100 tons. Pros: interesting profile; the definitive ballistic boat. Cons: one more Clan assault mech; never featured in any computer game)

And some new classics/favorites, according with the recent poll:

- Hollander II (IS, 45 tons. Pros: was in MechCommander 1 and 2, in a MW4 mechpack and MW:LL. More work space than the Hollander light mech. Cons: a Hunchback with 5 fewer tons)
- Men Shen (IS, 55 tons, omni. Pros: was in MechCommander 2; best IS omnimech in ages; good variants; can look like a beefed Raven. Cons: it's an IS omni, so PGI will have to implement some changes in the MechLab)

The mechs I think PGI should/will bring next:

- IS: Chimera, Argus and Fafnir (safer MW4 goodies); Men Shen and Templar (if biting the IS omni bullet); Wasp, Crusader and Longbow (for the old school BT fans).
- Clan: Blood Asp (for the meta); Black Lanner or Hellhound (for the newer fans); Fire Moth, Rifleman IIC and Stone Rhino (for the nostalgic).

You forgot the Flea Posted Image Havent it been for the Wolfs Dragoons, the little tin can wouldnt see the day of light again, as far as I can remember.

Found this gem from these forums regarding the Flea https://mwomercs.com...lemech-16-flea/

.. so close to get included. We need more 20 tonners, anything. I dont care. At least make ONE of them the Flea!

Would really want to see the Mad Dog Mk II config line, all with CT mounted energy/ ballistic points. Also the MW4 Hellhound, separate it from the mech its revisioned of, the Conjurer.

#16573 Sereglach

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 04:25 PM

View PostTordin, on 13 June 2017 - 03:22 PM, said:

You forgot the Flea Posted Image Havent it been for the Wolfs Dragoons, the little tin can wouldnt see the day of light again, as far as I can remember.

Found this gem from these forums regarding the Flea https://mwomercs.com...lemech-16-flea/

.. so close to get included. We need more 20 tonners, anything. I dont care. At least make ONE of them the Flea!

If I'm not mistaken, PGI's most recent Mech Modeler hire was the person who made a 3D model of that Flea concept art as a fan project. They had basically done most of it to MWO specifications (comparing it to an extracted Locust model), too, so that just adds to the irony of the fact that it still isn't in MWO.

Oh, and before anyone says it, we've already been down the "speed cap" road before; and it's no longer an issue for PGI. The only reason the Flea isn't in the game is because they've just decided they're not doing it.

I also agree we need more light chassis . . . a LOT more light chassis. The game is so top-heavy in the chassis selection that it's actually kind of sad.

#16574 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 13 June 2017 - 04:38 PM

View PostSereglach, on 13 June 2017 - 04:25 PM, said:

If I'm not mistaken, PGI's most recent Mech Modeler hire was the person who made a 3D model of that Flea concept art as a fan project. They had basically done most of it to MWO specifications (comparing it to an extracted Locust model), too, so that just adds to the irony of the fact that it still isn't in MWO.

Oh, and before anyone says it, we've already been down the "speed cap" road before; and it's no longer an issue for PGI. The only reason the Flea isn't in the game is because they've just decided they're not doing it.

I also agree we need more light chassis . . . a LOT more light chassis. The game is so top-heavy in the chassis selection that it's actually kind of sad.

The Flea was never released because the game didn't have MASC at the time of it's reveal. And then, bang, Locust happened. A mech of the same tonnage that even looks like it (not to mention, much more iconic and with lots of variants). See, speed was never the issue (Flea is not a very fast mech, anyway - and MWO's MASC is not that powerful).

Since the release of the Locust, when asked, the devs made clear they have no more intention to release the Flea so soon.

Yes, the new PGI's modeler made a (terrific) 3d model of the Flea. Still, the 20 tons spot belongs to a mech MWO needs much more than the Flea right now: the Wasp.

Well, I'm pretty sure the Flea might made into the game when the most interesting options run out.

#16575 Requiemking

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 2,479 posts
  • LocationStationed at the Iron Dingo's Base on Dumassas

Posted 13 June 2017 - 05:30 PM

View PostOdanan, on 13 June 2017 - 04:38 PM, said:

The Flea was never released because the game didn't have MASC at the time of it's reveal. And then, bang, Locust happened. A mech of the same tonnage that even looks like it (not to mention, much more iconic and with lots of variants). See, speed was never the issue (Flea is not a very fast mech, anyway - and MWO's MASC is not that powerful).

Since the release of the Locust, when asked, the devs made clear they have no more intention to release the Flea so soon.

Yes, the new PGI's modeler made a (terrific) 3d model of the Flea. Still, the 20 tons spot belongs to a mech MWO needs much more than the Flea right now: the Wasp.

Well, I'm pretty sure the Flea might made into the game when the most interesting options run out.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but we don't need the Wasp. Or the Stinger. Or any other 20 tonners, except on the Clan side. What we need is Light mechs in other weight brackets that won't be screwed by Volumetric scaling, and the Wasp not only falls under the category of "screwed by Volumetric scaling", it has to compete with the far superior Locust.

#16576 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 13 June 2017 - 05:30 PM

Funny note about the Wasp, is that in lore it has a lot of interchangeable parts with it's competitor the Stinger... Outside of lore, it should share art assets with the following:

Stinger
Valkyrie
Phoenix Hawk
Crusader

That means that by having the Phoenix Hawk, we've got most of the work done for a Wasp, as the Wasp lacks the back boosters of the Phoenix Hawk.

#16577 Sereglach

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 05:59 PM

Trust me, I'm FULLY aware of why it wasn't released, at the time. However, that doesn't remove the irony of the fact that PGI's newest modeler was hired off of making the Flea to MWO specs. Also, it's worth noting that they went to make the Locust because PGI felt comfortable enough to take a stab at some Unseen designs, by just avoiding anything Harmony Gold connected.

Yes, I want the Wasp in the game, too, along with plenty of other light mechs. I'm just saying that there's zero reasons that PGI couldn't release the Flea at this point; and it's a bit ironic that it's not in the game. Is the Flea top of my list for lights? No, not hardly. Is it still one I would like to see in game? Absoutely.

On the same token, it's also worth pointing out, again, that the game's chassis selection is a bit too top heavy; and needs some more lighter chassis brought in (especially lights). I'd love to see the Wasp, Mongoose, Stinger, Valkyrie, Incubus, Horned Owl, Commando IIC, and many others brought into the game. I also know it's not likely, for most of them, and it's only going to happen intermittently, because with current gameplay balance lights just aren't popular (at least the decoupling has brought them out a little).

#16578 Brain Cancer

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 12:55 PM

Honestly, a bit of love at the bottom end of the weight chart isn't a bad thing, for 20-25 tonners. I've always thought that effectively, there's four weight classes, and 20-30 tonners occupy the bottom rung of least endurance/firepower but highest potential agility (well, save for ol' Urbie, but he's fun because he's special). More mobile designs like the Wasp that have superior jump capacity, or ground agility like the Mongoose. Speedy little bitty barrage bots like the Baboon/Howler.

They're very much pocket 'Mechs, but there's room (especially in FP) for a subcompact when you want one more pair of legs on the field but can't fit much else.

#16579 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 14 June 2017 - 01:11 PM

View PostBrain Cancer, on 14 June 2017 - 12:55 PM, said:

Honestly, a bit of love at the bottom end of the weight chart isn't a bad thing, for 20-25 tonners. I've always thought that effectively, there's four weight classes, and 20-30 tonners occupy the bottom rung of least endurance/firepower but highest potential agility (well, save for ol' Urbie, but he's fun because he's special). More mobile designs like the Wasp that have superior jump capacity, or ground agility like the Mongoose. Speedy little bitty barrage bots like the Baboon/Howler.

They're very much pocket 'Mechs, but there's room (especially in FP) for a subcompact when you want one more pair of legs on the field but can't fit much else.

Nexus deserves more love. It's a cool looking mech with (relatively) good potential for MWO.
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Nexus

#16580 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 14 June 2017 - 01:15 PM

Put enough rockit lunchers in the Wasp - and enyoy the tears.
Although this might depend on the HP to RL implementation

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Facebook