• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,563 posts
  • LocationWherever things are burning.

Posted 02 March 2018 - 01:44 PM

View PostJay Leon Hart, on 02 March 2018 - 01:17 PM, said:

It was changed

From here;

Thanks for that info. Regardless, given all of the Hit Reg fixes in place and PGI admitting that there's no real game breaking issues anymore for speed, then there's still no reason to not release the Fire Moth/Dasher. The speed argument is thoroughly debunked. The only thing stopping PGI from doing it is PGI.

#18862 FLG 01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 07:20 PM

View PostSereglach, on 02 March 2018 - 11:32 AM, said:

Also . . . who cares if we just got an IS light? They announced something like 7 heavies in a row through the "classics" period; and the game is in desperate need of more light chassis across both Clan and IS, especially for the non-35 ton brackets.

Um, yeah, we really need more 20t and 25t Mechs. No doubt. I was merely pointing out that the community does not like lights as much as the other weight classes, and that PGI does not release light Mechs very often (which makes sense since the workload is the same, but the selling price is lower due to the community's attitudes).

Consequently, every light Mech release should be chosen with great care, because they are so rare. And the IS would have needed a humanoid 20t or 25t Mech with JJ much more than a Locust that packs a somewhat greater punch. It even looks more like a Locust than a Flea...

For the record, I am not saying the Flea will be bad. I am saying it is an unimaginative and supoptimal choice - which, unfortunately, pretty much characterizes the IS releases since quite a while. And in case of the light Mechs, it is not just the IS. Cougar, Osiris and Flea are all solid choices, but they rely on nostalgia and they are far from the best choices in terms of gameplay.

And gameplay is important. You need to be able to enjoy your Mech in MWO. Some people are enjoying the Cougar and the Osiris, but not many. In fact, I greatly respect the people who do use the Mechs they like regularly.
But I despise people who campaign for a Mech they abandon as soon as it gets in game, which is what happened to the MW:4-originals of the IS.

#18863 TheArisen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 02 March 2018 - 08:10 PM

View PostOdanan, on 02 March 2018 - 08:44 AM, said:

Inner Sphere is in dire need of a 25 tonner... which one is the best option?

- Brigand
- Nexus (With Jackrabbit inspired variants?)
- Mongoose
- Raptor

I'd say the Brigand and Nexus offer the greatest in game potential and variety as both have JJ, speed and good hardpoints. Both have ecm variants but the Brigs variant with it are experimental, so would they get added?. Most Brigs have a 150 stock like the Com. compared to the 175 on the Nexus but there is a 175 equipped variant, with 7 JJ even, but it has melee. The Nexus is an upgraded version of the Jackrabbit so variants based on the JR could be fun, most notably if they got solid HP inflation it could have a MG boat variant. There is also a variant that has a 200 stock with JJ.

The Raptor would be the most unique and also good because it's an omni and it would play very differently due to it's excellent firepower, mounts and JJ. It easily has the most firepower of any potential addition with 11 energy hps or 10E & ecm. Yes it's slow but it does have ECM and plenty of JJ and firepower.

Mongoose is the fastest of these (Except for the one Nexus variant which also has JJ) with it's 200 stock engine which could give it crazy speed, it even has a MASC variant with ECM. It doesn't have a JJ variant so it's more just a straight upgrade over the Commando then offering different options.

Honestly the Mongoose may have a fun to say name and unique look but the others have cool designs and lore along with offering greater potential in game.

So vote Brigand, Nexus & Raptor for strong 25 tonners.
https://mwomercs.com...mech-pack-poll/
(Gas added the Brig & Nexus to the poll)

#18864 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 02 March 2018 - 08:18 PM

View PostFLG 01, on 02 March 2018 - 07:20 PM, said:

Um, yeah, we really need more 20t and 25t Mechs. No doubt. I was merely pointing out that the community does not like lights as much as the other weight classes, and that PGI does not release light Mechs very often (which makes sense since the workload is the same, but the selling price is lower due to the community's attitudes).

Consequently, every light Mech release should be chosen with great care, because they are so rare. And the IS would have needed a humanoid 20t or 25t Mech with JJ much more than a Locust that packs a somewhat greater punch. It even looks more like a Locust than a Flea...

For the record, I am not saying the Flea will be bad. I am saying it is an unimaginative and supoptimal choice - which, unfortunately, pretty much characterizes the IS releases since quite a while. And in case of the light Mechs, it is not just the IS. Cougar, Osiris and Flea are all solid choices, but they rely on nostalgia and they are far from the best choices in terms of gameplay.

And gameplay is important. You need to be able to enjoy your Mech in MWO. Some people are enjoying the Cougar and the Osiris, but not many. In fact, I greatly respect the people who do use the Mechs they like regularly.
But I despise people who campaign for a Mech they abandon as soon as it gets in game, which is what happened to the MW:4-originals of the IS.

Well PGI did it to themselves. Since the beginning light mechs were sold for less. Their hero variants as well. So not only do people not like them as much but PGI reduced their perceived value.

As for the Flea, I'm not sure how well it will be able to use it's HPs. It's going to lack ammo and I wonder if it'd be better off not equipping MASC and just being a slower Locust.

#18865 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 02 March 2018 - 08:33 PM

Mongoose is the IS light that is needed. Period.
Posted Image

Only Light I love more is the Urbie. Totally need this guy and the Stinger to finish me "Light Mech needs". But don't expect STG until after MW5/HG Lawsuit resolution.

#18866 Sereglach

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,563 posts
  • LocationWherever things are burning.

Posted 02 March 2018 - 09:32 PM

View PostTheArisen, on 02 March 2018 - 08:18 PM, said:

Well PGI did it to themselves. Since the beginning light mechs were sold for less. Their hero variants as well. So not only do people not like them as much but PGI reduced their perceived value.

I think another -possibly bigger- facet came with the introduction of mech packs all the way back to the Project Phoenix pack. All tiers were only $20 each, which put the "perceived" value of an Assault mech pack at $20. The reality is that a 100 ton hero sells for ~$35 in MC, ALONE. That's the biggest shot in the foot that PGI did to themselves, in my personal opinion. The value comparison between light vs. heavy/assault mech packs is absolutely insane. Of course a heavy or assault pack is going to sell well when you get 60-75% savings, or more, vs. in game MC costs.

Then consider that they can't provide those kinds of savings for a light mech because they'd practically be giving them away. Even if they didn't do it in the 4x Mech Pack bundles (value/savings could be considered to equal out as you buy higher tiers), as soon as they went to solo mech packs they should have increased the cost of packs for larger class mechs.

The poor in-game treatment of lights by PGI is a whole other matter, entirely, and it certainly doesn't do PGI any favors. Combined with the perceived value, like you said, and it's sadly quite understandable that people are more hesitant to invest in mech packs for lights.

View PostTheArisen, on 02 March 2018 - 08:18 PM, said:

As for the Flea, I'm not sure how well it will be able to use it's HPs. It's going to lack ammo and I wonder if it'd be better off not equipping MASC and just being a slower Locust.

I'm not so sure about that. The MASC and ECM carrying variants have fewer hardpoints than the others, for one. Then there's only two with a lot of ballistics, and I don't think they'll fare that bad. XL 170 + Near Max LFF (3 points off head to even tonnage) + ES + 4 required external HS = 7 tons free.

On the FLE-19 that's 8xLMG/MG with 2.5 tons ammo and 1x ERSL. Skill tree makes that just shy of 3 tons ammo. That's not bad . . . maybe a little light, but certainly not ammo starved.

For the FLE-FA that's 6xLMG/MG with 2.5 tons ammo and 3x ERSL. Again, skill tree makes that ~3 tons ammo, which is plenty for 6x LMG/MG.

No idea what quirks or inherent handling will be, but I also wouldn't be surprised to see 1x LPL/ERLL "Bug Zappers" akin to the old LCT-1V build if the quirks are right for it on any given variant. MASC might make it the twitchiest little laser poker out there.

On the other hand, if it gets armor quirks like an Urbanmech with slower handling, then said variant(s) might be a really tanky 20 ton mech that's seriously up-gunned for its weight class. MASC might not be needed.

Then again, it could be utterly terrible, with next to no quirks, and be DOA. However, I seriously doubt that one, as it's no Piranha. There's no fear of 12xLMG/MG instantly gutting any exposed internals or any other fear of being "OP". If anything, the fear of being too weak might help ensure better launch quirks.

#18867 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 02 March 2018 - 10:47 PM

Just a little thread about mechs that need more love
https://mwomercs.com...-get-more-love/

#18868 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,200 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 03 March 2018 - 01:03 PM

BTW, guys? What mech is this?
Posted Image

#18869 Brody319

• The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 6,273 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 01:15 PM

View PostOdanan, on 03 March 2018 - 01:03 PM, said:

Posted Image

looks almost like the wolfhound to me.

#18870 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,200 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 03 March 2018 - 01:23 PM

View PostBrody319, on 03 March 2018 - 01:15 PM, said:

looks almost like the wolfhound to me.

But why it is shooting a projectile?

#18871 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 03 March 2018 - 01:27 PM

A heavily modified Vulcan maybe?

#18872 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,200 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 03 March 2018 - 01:36 PM

View PostMetus regem, on 03 March 2018 - 01:27 PM, said:

A heavily modified Vulcan maybe?

Looks like a Hellion to me... :/

Well, sort of.

#18873 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 03 March 2018 - 02:04 PM

Posted Image

Panther maybe?

#18874 Adridos

• Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 03 March 2018 - 02:05 PM

Posted Image

Not to be a party pooper, but it's clearly a concept piece.
These sort of drawings are made by layering in random pictures taken off of the net and painting over them to get a basic cohesive whole. Just like the Jenner there is just the concept art, but mirrored and with smudges coming off of its feet to show it's jumping. The blimps are likely taken off the net and painted over with the brownish filter, plus the Solaris screen.
The robot in the forefront is the same, in my honest opinion.

Aaaand.... here's the full sized piece.
Posted Image

Edited by Adridos, 03 March 2018 - 02:11 PM.

#18875 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,200 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 03 March 2018 - 02:17 PM

View PostAdridos, on 03 March 2018 - 02:05 PM, said:

Not to be a party pooper, but it's clearly a concept piece.
These sort of drawings are made by layering in random pictures taken off of the net and painting over them to get a basic cohesive whole. Just like the Jenner there is just the concept art, but mirrored and with smudges coming off of its feet to show it's jumping. The blimps are likely taken off the net and painted over with the brownish filter, plus the Solaris screen.
The robot in the forefront is the same, in my honest opinion.

Posted Image

Are you saying Alex Iglesias, the Mechelangelo himself, pasted and meshed some images of the internet?

BTW, thanks for the bigger image. Definitely not a Panther or Wolfhound.

#18876 Adridos

• Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 03 March 2018 - 02:21 PM

View PostOdanan, on 03 March 2018 - 02:17 PM, said:

Are you saying Alex Iglesias, the Mechelangelo himself, pasted and meshed some images of the internet?

BTW, thanks for the bigger image. Definitely not a Panther or Wolfhound.

No, Alex is not a concept artist. I'm saying that piece was done by a concept artist (and I was right Posted Image http://ddkart.blogspot.sk/).

#18877 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,200 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 03 March 2018 - 03:16 PM

View PostAdridos, on 03 March 2018 - 02:21 PM, said:

No, Alex is not a concept artist. I'm saying that piece was done by a concept artist (and I was right Posted Image http://ddkart.blogspot.sk/).

Oh, it was made by Dennis de Koning.

PS: here is a possible new map for the game.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#18878 Valdarion Silarius

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,672 posts
  • LocationWubbing and dakkaing everyone in best jellyfish mech

Posted 03 March 2018 - 03:43 PM

View PostAdridos, on 03 March 2018 - 02:05 PM, said:

Posted Image

It looks like a Stinger mech. If it really is, I'm breaking out the champagne bottles in celebration for obvious reasons.

#18879 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 03 March 2018 - 04:56 PM

View PostArnold The Governator, on 03 March 2018 - 03:43 PM, said:

It looks like a Stinger mech. If it really is, I'm breaking out the champagne bottles in celebration for obvious reasons.

Uhm... no it really doesn't look like a Stinger, sorry to disappoint. It looks largely made up, though it does have elements that resemble this guy
Posted Image

Let's not have a repeat of the Crusader conspiracy (or the mkII one...*sigh*) plz?

#18880 Valdarion Silarius

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,672 posts
  • LocationWubbing and dakkaing everyone in best jellyfish mech

Posted 03 March 2018 - 05:44 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 03 March 2018 - 04:56 PM, said:

Uhm... no it really doesn't look like a Stinger, sorry to disappoint. It looks largely made up, though it does have elements that resemble this guy
Posted Image

Let's not have a repeat of the Crusader conspiracy (or the mkII one...*sigh*) plz?

I see the similarities with the arms but not the head or the torso. C'mon, conspiracies are fun. At least it breathes life into these forums. Posted Image

23 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 23 guests, 0 anonymous users