ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 11 July 2018 - 12:19 PM

View PostOdanan, on 11 July 2018 - 12:11 PM, said:

The least PGI can do now is release all Champion variants with 30% XP bonus.. Posted Image

Any 60 tonner would be a better choice... Posted Image

Argus, Lancelot, Ostroc...

not sure the OST pods would have been. I am not aghast by this but my preference would be Argus, Lancelot, Grand Dragon, etc... with Champion middle of the pack, at best. *shrugs*. Not every mech will be a home run... kind of can't be... and if they focus on only the great ones first.. then basically you get a point where there is nothing left to sell at all.

View PostOdanan, on 11 July 2018 - 12:12 PM, said:

Those arms are hideous.

It's a Champion. Hideous is kind of part of the equation. Like the Kintaro.

#19442 TheArisen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 11 July 2018 - 12:53 PM

What makes me more sad is this probably means we'll have to wait for another heavy. It might be awhile.

The biggest positive is we now will have a Champion Champion.

#19443 Sereglach

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,563 posts
  • LocationWherever things are burning.

Posted 11 July 2018 - 01:24 PM

I always thought the Champion was rather comical looking. It is one of those fugly mechs that I just never could get into. I'm surprised that Alex was able to make it actually look somewhat decent.

In MWO, I think the all-torso hardpoints on most variants will work well with the broad arms. The arms are nearly the full profile of the torso and will make for great shields. The hero might actually have what could be considered the worst hardpoints of the lot. On a side note, though, the OCD in me wants to have 1 AMS in each arm of the Hero, just to make that variant perfectly symmetrical.

I think it might actually turn out to be a decent mech for MWO. Granted, it's far from my first choice . . . or even any choice, for that matter, but I think we might be pleasantly surprised with its MWO performance.

#19444 SuperFunkTron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 910 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 11 July 2018 - 02:20 PM

I'm happy we finally have the IS mech announced! Dedicated torso shields is not a terrible thing, and it'll be interesting to see how the torso angle will play out with those handsome flippers.

But now on to the next issue, what should we be expecting from the clan side?

#19445 Virlutris

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,443 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationVery likely goofing off in a match near you.

Posted 11 July 2018 - 02:55 PM

View PostSuperFunkTron, on 11 July 2018 - 02:20 PM, said:

I'm happy we finally have the IS mech announced! Dedicated torso shields is not a terrible thing, and it'll be interesting to see how the torso angle will play out with those handsome flippers.

But now on to the next issue, what should we be expecting from the clan side?

In the last 7 ClanMeks, we've had 2 light (piranha and Incubus) 1 medium (Lanner), 2 heavy (Sun Spider and Hellfire) and 1 assault (Blood Asp).

Before that we had the escalations, which included Cougar, Artic Wolf, Nova Cat, and Mad Cat MkII. Last 2 before that were Supernova and Marauder IIC.

So, Turkina next, right? ;)

I think a ClanTech medium would be nice for balance's sake given the relatively low number of ClanTech mediums, but I wouldn't be even a little surprised by an assault.

Grendel, Griffin IIC, Pouncer, or (out of left field picks) Pinion or Stooping Hawk are my medium guesses.

Edited by Virlutris, 11 July 2018 - 02:57 PM.

#19446 FLG 01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 03:54 PM

Have you noticed:

"Once you see these Deals they can't be UNSEEN"

https://mwomercs.com...n-classic-mechs

Now that's a tease.

#19447 The Lighthouse

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 03:58 PM

Hmmm, I see they are indeed going back those old era mechs.

It means at least I won't be buying those for a long time.

#19448 Valdarion Silarius

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,679 posts
  • LocationWubbing and dakkaing everyone in best jellyfish mech

Posted 11 July 2018 - 04:44 PM

View PostFLG 01, on 11 July 2018 - 03:54 PM, said:

Have you noticed:

Now that's a tease.

I believe that they are hyping the only classic unseen that already exist in game. If they hinted at future unseen as in "Once you see these deals, they might not be the only UNSEEN" then that would be something worth getting excited about. Other than that I wouldn't read much more into it. This is really one of the moments that I hope I'm wrong.

#19449 Uncle Totty

• The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 1,556 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSomewhere in the ARDC (Ark-Royal Defense Cordon)

Posted 11 July 2018 - 04:50 PM

View PostOdanan, on 11 July 2018 - 12:05 PM, said:

It's the Champion! :/

Posted Image

YAY!

No Campion C though. Damn. Posted Image

Edited by Uncle Totty, 11 July 2018 - 04:52 PM.

#19450 Brenden

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,603 posts
  • LocationIS News Flash Breaking [:::]___[:::] News: at morning /(__)\ a patrol unit has (:)=\_ ¤_/=(:) seen the never /)(\ before witnessed [] . . [] strange designed /¥\ . /¥\ 'Mech

Posted 11 July 2018 - 05:00 PM

View PostOdanan, on 11 July 2018 - 12:05 PM, said:

It's the Champion! :/

Posted Image

I don't see a mech like that being a champion.

#19451 Valdarion Silarius

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,679 posts
  • LocationWubbing and dakkaing everyone in best jellyfish mech

Posted 11 July 2018 - 05:13 PM

View PostOdanan, on 11 July 2018 - 12:12 PM, said:

Those arms are hideous.

You know the more i stare at the artwork, the more I see an A10 Warthog in the center torso.

Posted Image

If there are no variants that have an option for a single RAC2 right below the cockpit then that was a seriously wasted opportunity. Pretty ironic that lore wise the mech is under gunned and under armored, while the IRL A10 Warthog is built around the 20mm canon and is praised for it's fantastic battlefield durability.

Edited by Arnold The Governator, 11 July 2018 - 05:14 PM.

#19452 dante245

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Altruist
  • The Altruist
  • 577 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 11 July 2018 - 05:17 PM

Clan, Light, 20T, Fire Moth

#19453 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 07:03 PM

View PostArnold The Governator, on 11 July 2018 - 05:13 PM, said:

You know the more i stare at the artwork, the more I see an A10 Warthog in the center torso.

Posted Image

If there are no variants that have an option for a single RAC2 right below the cockpit then that was a seriously wasted opportunity. Pretty ironic that lore wise the mech is under gunned and under armored, while the IRL A10 Warthog is built around the 20mm canon and is praised for it's fantastic battlefield durability.

actually seeing more of an attack helicopter personally, but overall, visually considering the base art is such a ****, I like what he's done though I probably would have exaggerated the arm pylon thingies less.

#19454 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 07:07 PM

View PostFLG 01, on 11 July 2018 - 03:54 PM, said:

Have you noticed:

Now that's a tease.

Not really. It might be a deliberate lightly veiled shot at HG, but it doesn't tease anything since it's a sale on the already extant "Classics" which we all know were Unseen under a different name in the hope to avoid scrutiny from Chaotic Pyrite.

Don't let your wants color what is actually said, unless you wanna end up like Impy, and massively embittered of nothing. I'd love to be wrong and will gladly eat crow if I am (since I want all the Unseen for all of us), but people are seriously reading their own hopes and desires in between the lines of what is actually said.

#19455 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 07:11 PM

View PostThe Lighthouse, on 11 July 2018 - 03:58 PM, said:

Hmmm, I see they are indeed going back those old era mechs.

It means at least I won't be buying those for a long time.

or... *GASP!!!!* They are mixing it up so that everyone gets a little something they want as they go? Since just as these don't interest you, so to many players aren't interested in Clan Era, or Civil War era stuff, or are invested to varying degrees. Crazy thought, I know, trying to keep all facets of your playerbase somewhat invested.

And while Champion wasn't exactly high on my personal wish list, I have seen it requested time after time, so it has to have at least something of a "fan club" waiting for it. And since we got plenty of pissing and moaning with each 3067 addition, or stuff like the Nightstar..... what does PGI have to lose? This playerbase is possibly the whiniest collection of butthurt salt farmers i have ever seen. Even when they release the most anticipated designs, a chunk of the population whines and cries.

So I mean, it's lose/lose I guess if you are PGI.. yet they seem to keep making money regardless. *shrugs*

It ain't a unit I intend to buy, but that's been the case before, and will be again. Somehow PGI seems to survive those months I withhold my patronage.

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 11 July 2018 - 07:12 PM.

#19456 The Lighthouse

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 08:32 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 11 July 2018 - 07:11 PM, said:

or... *GASP!!!!* They are mixing it up so that everyone gets a little something they want as they go? Since just as these don't interest you, so to many players aren't interested in Clan Era, or Civil War era stuff, or are invested to varying degrees. Crazy thought, I know, trying to keep all facets of your playerbase somewhat invested.

And while Champion wasn't exactly high on my personal wish list, I have seen it requested time after time, so it has to have at least something of a "fan club" waiting for it. And since we got plenty of pissing and moaning with each 3067 addition, or stuff like the Nightstar..... what does PGI have to lose? This playerbase is possibly the whiniest collection of butthurt salt farmers i have ever seen. Even when they release the most anticipated designs, a chunk of the population whines and cries.

So I mean, it's lose/lose I guess if you are PGI.. yet they seem to keep making money regardless. *shrugs*

It ain't a unit I intend to buy, but that's been the case before, and will be again. Somehow PGI seems to survive those months I withhold my patronage.

I didn't say I dislike 'old era mechs', more like I am not interested.

You are assuming I am not buying mechs because I dislike or whine. No it is not.

Look at the price. With standard + reinforcement alone is about as same as a new PC game. Mechpacks are actually expensive that I really only pre-order only when;

1) It's an light mech.
2) PGI Original.
3) One exception from those two rules above : Rifleman IIC if it ever comes out, or Hollander II if PGI decides to not implement 35ton version.

And the value of mechpacks have been decreased (no more banked Premium time).

PGI really needs to expand their revenue model. Mechs alone is obviously not going to be sustainable. New maps can be monetized, for instance.

Edited by The Lighthouse, 11 July 2018 - 08:33 PM.

#19457 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 11 July 2018 - 10:37 PM

View PostThe Lighthouse, on 11 July 2018 - 08:32 PM, said:

...New maps can be monetized, for instance.

Oh god no. The last thing we need is even more player base splitting.

#19458 The Lighthouse

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 10:53 PM

View PostFupDup, on 11 July 2018 - 10:37 PM, said:

Oh god no. The last thing we need is even more player base splitting.

No, I don't mean that.

For instance, PGI can release "New Map Booster" and for next 3 months after the map is released, anyone with the booster will gain additional cbills and/or even very small amount of MCs, you know, something like that.

#19459 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 11:05 PM

View PostThe Lighthouse, on 11 July 2018 - 08:32 PM, said:

New maps can be monetized, for instance.

you want MWO to die, yes, monetize maps, split playerbases, etc. Monetizing maps is about the worst idea possible.

#19460 Bombast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 11:10 PM

View PostThe Lighthouse, on 11 July 2018 - 10:53 PM, said:

No, I don't mean that.

For instance, PGI can release "New Map Booster" and for next 3 months after the map is released, anyone with the booster will gain additional cbills and/or even very small amount of MCs, you know, something like that.

So premium time, with an MC kicker.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users