Ultimate Mech Discussion Thread

BattleMech Balance

20517 replies to this topic

#20441 50 50

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,145 posts
  • LocationTo Nova or not to Nova. That is the question.

Posted 28 June 2019 - 01:55 AM

View PostSereglach, on 19 June 2019 - 03:10 PM, said:

As for release, Russ already said NOT June . . . but if they wait until August then they'll only have barely over a month to make sales for any sort of MW5 tie-in. Early to Mid July for an announcement, maybe? Possibly parallel it with the ability to start Steam Pre-orders? Seems reasonable.

With the Dervish being announced in March and now available in game, an announcement in July or August would be a pretty good bet and gives a similar time between announcements if a new PGI design (Or another mech) was to be announced at Mechcon.

#20442 Sereglach

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,563 posts
  • LocationWherever things are burning.

Posted 28 June 2019 - 09:04 AM

View Post50 50, on 28 June 2019 - 01:55 AM, said:

With the Dervish being announced in March and now available in game, an announcement in July or August would be a pretty good bet and gives a similar time between announcements if a new PGI design (Or another mech) was to be announced at Mechcon.

Interesting prospect. They could go quarterly releases, which mostly fits the timetable you're talking about. July would be the beginning of Q3, and October for Q4.

Another thing to consider is that the December PGI Original MechCon announcement is always separate from their normal pattern. They might always do a PGI original at MechCon (however much longer it lasts) outside of their other mechs, if they go in a quarterly release schedule.

That'd essentially end them at 5 mechs a year, with one always being the MechCon PGI original. Considering the gargantuan size of their Mech Building/Art Team, relative to the rest of the company, they could easily do that and still sneak in the occasional surprise mech (maybe an Urbie IIC for an April Fools "anniversary" release). On the other hand, it might finally divert some art team assets to more map building or other gameplay assets. We'll really need to see what the company looks like after MW5 is in the wild, and how that affects MWO.

#20443 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 28 June 2019 - 04:06 PM

View PostKarl Streiger, on 27 June 2019 - 10:44 PM, said:

Hell no, but buy - do you see that Laser - that my friends that is a Laser.... not that castrated stump at the MWO Thud.... the only reason I run a PPC instead of a laser.... (do I need to compensate? Don't think so - but a Thud without a big bore killer lamp is not a Thud.

But Bish? I know you hate Liaos, but shouldn't be the Thud be a Liao and the poor JM6 a Davion coffin?

I would agree... but the Patron supplies the details, I just bring them to life. *shrugs* And also it's a rifleman. But both Davion and Liao have both, both are relatively common, so... eh? Guy who pays gets to decide.

View PostY E O N N E, on 27 June 2019 - 09:25 PM, said:

CGL Thud looks alright, but being used to MWO designs it also looks like a deformed PGI Warhammer.

I'd take a deformed PGI Warhammer over the walking brick of crap that the MWO Thud is.

#20444 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 08:04 AM

and I would really love to see some OST mechs for MW5 and HBS Battletech

Posted Image

#20445 FLG 01

• Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 08:09 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 30 June 2019 - 08:04 AM, said:

and I would really love to see some OST mechs for MW5 and HBS Battletech

I'd love to see some for MWO! The pod design of the torso should roll damage really well.

#20446 Tordin

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 30 June 2019 - 09:26 AM

If there were mechs besides IS omnis. And even I despise that in MWO, Clan Battlemechs are better kinda than their Omni counterparts, I do would love to see the Conjurer/ Wolverine IIC, or Hellhound in the IS.

But this mechs designation and history gives me a slight headache. I feel a retcon of certain details should be set in place.

1: Yes the clans renamed it to Conjurer instead of after the "not named clan" , Clan Wolverine, Wolverine IIc. it was designed off the WVR-7H Wolverine II variant of the original Wolverine, taking the concept and rebuilding it with advanced technology in the fashion of a IIC rebuild.

2: It cpuld be changed so the IS would refer it to Wolverine IIC, the Clans still use the name Conjurer BUT have HELLHOUND a separate mech all together, based on the model from Mech Warrior 4. That design is too good to be not taken into account for, be it canon, lore, newer gameplay.

3: A Conjurer/ Wolverine IIC & Hellhound combo pack. Remember the Hellhound looks NOTHING like the original Conjurer.

4: Make the separate Hellhound an Omnimech and the Conjurer/ Wolverine IIc a Clan Battlemech. Just to distinct them further.

Conjurer/ Wolverine IIc

Posted Image

Hellhound

Posted Image

The MW4 Hellhound looks like a middleground between a Cougar and a Blood Asp, which is just the icing on the delicious awesome cake!

Edited by Tordin, 30 June 2019 - 09:26 AM.

#20447 TheArisen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 30 June 2019 - 01:33 PM

View PostTordin, on 30 June 2019 - 09:26 AM, said:

If there were mechs besides IS omnis. And even I despise that in MWO, Clan Battlemechs are better kinda than their Omni counterparts, I do would love to see the Conjurer/ Wolverine IIC, or Hellhound in the IS.

But this mechs designation and history gives me a slight headache. I feel a retcon of certain details should be set in place.

1: Yes the clans renamed it to Conjurer instead of after the "not named clan" , Clan Wolverine, Wolverine IIc. it was designed off the WVR-7H Wolverine II variant of the original Wolverine, taking the concept and rebuilding it with advanced technology in the fashion of a IIC rebuild.

2: It cpuld be changed so the IS would refer it to Wolverine IIC, the Clans still use the name Conjurer BUT have HELLHOUND a separate mech all together, based on the model from Mech Warrior 4. That design is too good to be not taken into account for, be it canon, lore, newer gameplay.

3: A Conjurer/ Wolverine IIC & Hellhound combo pack. Remember the Hellhound looks NOTHING like the original Conjurer.

4: Make the separate Hellhound an Omnimech and the Conjurer/ Wolverine IIc a Clan Battlemech. Just to distinct them further.

Conjurer/ Wolverine IIc

Posted Image

Hellhound

Posted Image

The MW4 Hellhound looks like a middleground between a Cougar and a Blood Asp, which is just the icing on the delicious awesome cake!

Haha this has been talked about quite a bit.

I think everyone is on board with Fup's idea to just separate them as the Wolverine IIc & Hellhound

#20448 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 30 June 2019 - 02:28 PM

View PostTheArisen, on 30 June 2019 - 01:33 PM, said:

Haha this has been talked about quite a bit.

I think everyone is on board with Fup's idea to just separate them as the Wolverine IIc & Hellhound

My idea was to separate it as the Warhound so that nobody could complain about the canonical Conjurer's appearance being "desecrated." There might be like 2 or 3 hardcore grognards that would say "the Hellhound is supposed to look like a Wolverine!" so I'd rather just sidestep the whole thing by making it a PGI original.

#20449 Hawk819

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,624 posts
  • Location666 Werewolf Lane. Transylvania, Romania Ph#: Transylvania 6-5000

Posted 30 June 2019 - 06:10 PM

Let's see:

Crusader
Wasp
Stinger
Phoenix Hawk IIC
Behemoth (Stone Rhino)
Longbow
Ost's `Mechs.

As soon as these enter the game. I'll be a happy man. However, according to rumor, MW5 sales have tanked and MWO is on its last leg. So. . . yea. . . .Fat chance of seeing anything remotely called a `Mech making it into this game. Future, or otherwise. Face it. We'll never see the rest of the unseens or the Inner Sphere Omni's either. Unless the Developers decide to make them and release them to us. Until then . . .

#20450 Sereglach

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 08:08 PM

View PostHawk819, on 30 June 2019 - 06:10 PM, said:

However, according to rumor, MW5 sales have tanked and MWO is on its last leg.

Means nothing until the MW5 has been out for at least 3-6 months. As PGI even stated, with a studio of their size, even just 1 million units would be HUGE for PGI; and frankly 1 million units in modern large-scale international digital distribution (through stores like Steam, Epic, etc., since we don't know the full extent of availability) isn't such a "pipe dream" goal anymore.

Also, the people perpetuating that rumor of MW5 sales seem to forget Russ mentioning at Mech Con that Microsoft would love to see MW5 brought to their XBOne (which would be easy since it has KB&M support). Being on console and PC could readily ensure over 1 million units sold. Microsoft has been desparately pushing for more IP strength; and before anyone says, "Well, then why wasn't it at E3?" those conferences are content-finalized many months in advance and it's likely that MW5's late-summer delay to release happened after Microsoft finalized their E3 content.

Granted, it's theoretical, but it still has more substance than the rumors that MW5 sales have tanked . . . when the game hasn't even released yet. Lets wait for some real sales figures after launch, then we can worry about whether we'll actually see future mechs or other desperately needed features (like an engine migration).

Edited by Sereglach, 30 June 2019 - 08:10 PM.

#20451 Tordin

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 01 July 2019 - 12:28 PM

Im all for Mech Warrior 5 being on Xbox One, Im a hybrid gamer after all.

BUT. First MW5 needs to succeed and be allowed to have free modding on consoles aswell or something.

I fear that some diehards that have burned themself on previous PGI titles aswell as MWO will lobby and spew prejudice against buying MW5 as a REVENGE mind you.
Now Im not fond of certain aspects of PGI practices, like lack of focus, balance and content. But sure as hell are parts of the community just as nonsensical. PGI havent had the best track record, but theres always a chance they will get out one helluva game when it comes to MW5.

Also, didnt Russ say that they never were intent on making something like MWO, but due to the Warhammer copyright claims form Harmony Gold they had to ditch the original MW5 and to AT LEAST make something Mech Warrior like AND at the same time scrape in as much money as possible in form of a free 2 play game like MWO? Correct me if Im wrong..

Seems the anti MW5 whiners dont want scuh "Fake fACTS/ NEWS" to "delude" their righteous crusade of ignorance...

Yeah Im frustrated, how did you tell? Hah!

#20452 Sereglach

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 01 July 2019 - 01:19 PM

View PostTordin, on 01 July 2019 - 12:28 PM, said:

Im all for Mech Warrior 5 being on Xbox One, Im a hybrid gamer after all.

BUT. First MW5 needs to succeed and be allowed to have free modding on consoles aswell or something.

I fear that some diehards that have burned themself on previous PGI titles aswell as MWO will lobby and spew prejudice against buying MW5 as a REVENGE mind you.
Now Im not fond of certain aspects of PGI practices, like lack of focus, balance and content. But sure as hell are parts of the community just as nonsensical. PGI havent had the best track record, but theres always a chance they will get out one helluva game when it comes to MW5.

Also, didnt Russ say that they never were intent on making something like MWO, but due to the Warhammer copyright claims form Harmony Gold they had to ditch the original MW5 and to AT LEAST make something Mech Warrior like AND at the same time scrape in as much money as possible in form of a free 2 play game like MWO? Correct me if Im wrong..

Seems the anti MW5 whiners dont want scuh "Fake fACTS/ NEWS" to "delude" their righteous crusade of ignorance...

Yeah Im frustrated, how did you tell? Hah!

You're talking to the person that put up a HUGE post about everything the community did to screw over MWO and that Russ, in hindsight, really wasn't kidding about "listening to the community more than anything else" . . . forcing MWO to change direction over and over again (funny it got removed for no reason with no notification . . . at least I have the archive). The handling of the game is just as much the community's fault as PGI's.

As for the original plans . . . yeah . . . HG's first attacks on PGI, with the Warhammer demo video, killed the original intent of MW5. PGI did make MWO for the sake of salvaging the concept. However, with MW5 Russ -even up to the most recent videos and information- has stood by the intent of modding and promised that full modding is supported. Therefore, if MW5 is successful, or at least a good game, I'll admit I won't care too much about MWO's future.

Needless to say, I share your frustrations.

#20453 Valdarion Silarius

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,672 posts
  • LocationWubbing and dakkaing everyone in best jellyfish mech

Posted 01 July 2019 - 03:38 PM

View PostHawk819, on 30 June 2019 - 06:10 PM, said:

As soon as these enter the game. I'll be a happy man. However, according to rumor, MW5 sales have tanked and MWO is on its last leg.

Uh, what? How can MW5 sales tank when the game isn't even out yet? From what I heard PGI has met their MW5 pre-order expectations and they sounded pretty happy about that. Also, how many years have we heard that MW5 was on it's last leg when it outlived Hawken and many other ftp games out there?

Conjurer/ Wolverine IIc

Hellhound

If we never get the Shadowhawk IIC, then I'm all for the Conjurer/Wolverine IIC combo pack. Clans are always light on mediums and I can see it being a good addition to MW:O. It seems like it could have to be the potential to be rather tanky, which would be a fresh breathe of air since PGI wants to make all clan mechs into glass cannons for whatever reason.

Edited by Arnold The Governator, 01 July 2019 - 03:39 PM.

#20454 Jay Leon Hart

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 02 July 2019 - 10:28 AM

I'm firmly in the camp they (PGI, CGL, HBS, MS, whoever) should split the Conjurer into 2 'mechs.

Original Conjurer (Wolverine IIC) remains a BattleMech
Hellhound is a Clan OmniMech named after the IS name for the Conjurer

So then it's just like the Nova & Black Hawk but they look very different

Release them in a combo pack just like the Arctic Wolf and everyone is happy

#20455 Tordin

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 02 July 2019 - 03:21 PM

Agree with many of you fellas here.
Yeah, Jay, you can count me in the "separation" camp aswell. I just though my explanation of the different name and reasons could be used in a retconned manner, but that could be messy.. and a bit unrealistic priority.

Besides that, Im hungry as all heck about more MW5 news, I also bet pre orders for all others than beta tester ( including me ) will appear shortly after the beta is done, however short time it is. I do think pre orders and more marketing would help. And yes a later console release ( controller rumbling, yeah!) would be nice. If Mech Assault 3 suddenly appears, thats just a bonus for some quick casual arcade fun if judging by its prequels.

Gaaah, cant wait to delve into the MW5 beta. Not long now...

In the meantime, just posting this for good measure.. Watering the grass before the firestorm of worry as you may say it...

6.) Will there be other MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries pre-order editions? How will they differ?
  • Standard pre-orders may become available through Steam and other digital marketplaces closer to the full release of MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries on September 10th, 2019. However, aside from the MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Soundtrack, Digital Desktop Pack, and Digital Game Manual, those standard pre-orders will not contain any of the special MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries or MechWarrior Online content present within the Community Edition Pre-Orders.

7.) For which platform and delivery method am I pre-ordering?
  • The MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries pre-order received through the Community Edition is for PC only.
  • The Community Edition Pre-Order program will provide you with a key to the Steam version of MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries and the other Digital Content upon the game's release. The key(s) will be provided through your profile on this site.
8.) How will the MechWarrior Online content from the Community Edition Pre-Orders be delivered?
  • All MechWarrior Online content will be delivered in the form of MechWarrior Online Redemption Keys.
  • These Redemption Keys are redeemed through https://www.mwomercs.com/redeem
  • Please ensure you are logged into your intended MechWarrior Online account before completing the redemption of a MechWarrior Online key!

BTW!: Yeah I wouldnt mind Shadow Hawk IIc in MWO either, the Shawk is one of my favs, lefty sided mostly aswell!

Edited by Tordin, 02 July 2019 - 03:26 PM.

#20456 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 03 July 2019 - 06:32 PM

more than jsut Unreal Engine port... looks like someone snuck in a fix to the ENFs hideous head, finally..... Posted Image

#20457 Sereglach

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 03 July 2019 - 07:21 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 03 July 2019 - 06:32 PM, said:

more than jsut Unreal Engine port... looks like someone snuck in a fix to the ENFs hideous head, finally..... Posted Image

Looks good. You're right, it certainly changed some. Hmmm . . .

Well, the new Unreal engine would have allowed PGI to use Vulkan API and/or DX12 (DX12 more likely with the Microsoft IP ownership . . . but both are possible considering Vulkan API is open source and UE4 friendly) . . . which means a LOT more available polygons to utilize in rendering; and that means they could have readily done some visual tweaks to mechs during the conversion process.

It makes you wonder what other tweaks/fixes could be floating around out there. I guess we'll know soon enough. Sharp eye and good catch.

#20458 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 04 July 2019 - 05:37 AM

View PostSereglach, on 03 July 2019 - 07:21 PM, said:

Looks good. You're right, it certainly changed some. Hmmm . . .

Well, the new Unreal engine would have allowed PGI to use Vulkan API and/or DX12 (DX12 more likely with the Microsoft IP ownership . . . but both are possible considering Vulkan API is open source and UE4 friendly) . . . which means a LOT more available polygons to utilize in rendering; and that means they could have readily done some visual tweaks to mechs during the conversion process.

It makes you wonder what other tweaks/fixes could be floating around out there. I guess we'll know soon enough. Sharp eye and good catch.

Considering how much I love Alex's ENF art, and how badly they pooched the model, and how much crap I vented on Russ over it (who, when showed the MWO Model and Art side by side said.. "they look the same to me"... c'mon man!)..... one could say I was largely primed to notice any differences, lol.

Sadly the forearms are still the lazy "dynamic" ones, but really, the head was the number 1 killer on the ENF for me. I'm also hoping they use the engine to "loosen" up the to movement animations. The locked elbows always make the humanoid mechs look unnaturally stiff when moving.

#20459 Tordin

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 04 July 2019 - 11:13 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 03 July 2019 - 06:32 PM, said:

Looks nice. Aaand someone snuck in a good hit to ruin the Enforcers paintjob..

#20460 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 04 July 2019 - 11:30 AM

Why is a UAC-5 in game if MWO is set in 3015? UAC-5 only showed up in the mid 3030s and certainly wasn't common until 3040-3050.

Edited by Spheroid, 04 July 2019 - 11:31 AM.

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users