#20401 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 02 June 2019 - 08:52 PM

View PostTheArisen, on 02 June 2019 - 02:40 PM, said:

Well so far the trend on my poll about why mech people do or don't buy mech packs is they only buy the ones that interest them.
https://mwomercs.com...ing-mech-packs/

So instead of which mechs you want, because we've talked at length about which ones we all want, what factors get you interested in buying a mech?

look you poll is lacking the Return of Investment- or that the money you spend into MWO is well spend.
do you want to put money into MWO that is on a full swing downwards, and primarily this happened because of the ultra bad social skill of Russ.
Say for each 100$ spend you can port a Mech into MW5 and MWO2 or even that MA development, this will increase sells not better Mechs.

#20402 TheArisen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 02 June 2019 - 09:12 PM

View PostKarl Streiger, on 02 June 2019 - 08:52 PM, said:

look you poll is lacking the Return of Investment- or that the money you spend into MWO is well spend.

I'm pretty sure that's covered by "I buy mechs to support MWO" and that you want PGI to feel like PGI is doing a good job.

#20403 Karl Streiger

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 11:49 PM

View PostTheArisen, on 02 June 2019 - 09:12 PM, said:

I'm pretty sure that's covered by "I buy mechs to support MWO" and that you want PGI to feel like PGI is doing a good job.

But the sad truth is they don't. They do everything possible to sink their own ship (and I don't mean balancing or content - its primary their community handling).
nd I have supported PGI as long as I could (see the badges in my signature) - but the last straw was that April Dev Update with an intoxicated Russ.

The only "faith" they might be able to sow is that I can use some of my Mechs in a possible MWO2 or MW5 MP mode - or can redeem them in some kind of DLCs.

(For example the Founder Atlas, I'm really fond of)

Oh I might "crowd fund" a Legacy and Falconer but that's it, end of the line.

Edited by Karl Streiger, 02 June 2019 - 11:54 PM.

#20404 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 03 June 2019 - 10:58 AM

View PostKarl Streiger, on 02 June 2019 - 11:49 PM, said:

But the sad truth is they don't. They do everything possible to sink their own ship (and I don't mean balancing or content - its primary their community handling).
nd I have supported PGI as long as I could (see the badges in my signature) - but the last straw was that April Dev Update with an intoxicated Russ.

The only "faith" they might be able to sow is that I can use some of my Mechs in a possible MWO2 or MW5 MP mode - or can redeem them in some kind of DLCs.

(For example the Founder Atlas, I'm really fond of)

Oh I might "crowd fund" a Legacy and Falconer but that's it, end of the line.

Fair enough

#20405 Sereglach

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,563 posts
  • LocationWherever things are burning.

Posted 03 June 2019 - 11:17 AM

Too true. Even if development or balancing was pitifully slow over the years, it was their handling of communications that really killed the support. In my own personal case I said a number of times, "give us a reason to have faith in you, tell us what's coming in actual detail". Even the roadmaps were a joke, while they kept up on them. They had a few short stints of decent communication and follow-through, but it never lasted long.

The promise of modding . . . that's the true faith restorer for me. Even if MW5 is mediocre, if the modding support is there, then it can be made from mediocre to excellent with little issue; and on top of it the game can be catered to personal preferences.

However . . . that admittedly doesn't really do anything for MWO, so I don't know what the true "faith restorer" would be on that side of things. Maybe several months of quality patches and balance work that remains consistent . . . with real communication.

#20406 thievingmagpi

• 1,577 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 11:39 AM

I want an IS heavy with 4 high mounted torso ballistics. That's probably the only mech I'd spend $$ on.

#20407 Karl Streiger

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 11:52 AM

View PostSereglach, on 03 June 2019 - 11:17 AM, said:

However . . . that admittedly doesn't really do anything for MWO, so I don't know what the true "faith restorer" would be on that side of things. Maybe several months of quality patches and balance work that remains consistent . . . with real communication.

well, modding might be indeed a possible option for us MechNerds.
The question is if self created mechs can be rigged into MW5.

If so maybe instead of hoping for PGI to do a Mech ask a talented 3D artist to do it and hope the best for the mod.
Of course it would be more expensive than to buy a single licence (but for example at cgtrader there is robotize with great looking me gs or the guy - forgot the name (search for swashbuckler)

or some other guys out there - maybe its better to find 100 whales that offer 5-10 bucks for the faith to have it as a mod instead of hoping that PGI will deliver.

#20408 Sereglach

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 12:07 PM

View PostKarl Streiger, on 03 June 2019 - 11:52 AM, said:

well, modding might be indeed a possible option for us MechNerds.
The question is if self created mechs can be rigged into MW5.

If so maybe instead of hoping for PGI to do a Mech ask a talented 3D artist to do it and hope the best for the mod.
Of course it would be more expensive than to buy a single licence (but for example at cgtrader there is robotize with great looking me gs or the guy - forgot the name (search for swashbuckler)

or some other guys out there - maybe its better to find 100 whales that offer 5-10 bucks for the faith to have it as a mod instead of hoping that PGI will deliver.

As far as rigging goes, we already know that mechs of different weight classes can share animations sets. It's probably a matter of "assign this modded mech this skeleton/animation set". The animation data moves the rigging bones in a certain way, regardless of size, so a Wasp could easily use the standard humanoid animation set just fine, for example.

As for getting mechs made as mods, I'd say it depends on what is involved. Have you seen the kinds of mods created on places like Nexus; and at most they might ask for some minor donation to support their hobby/passion/resume (some creators literally use modding to build a resume, so it's high quality work they're putting out). If there's a talented modder that makes a mech for themselves, and is willing to share it on a place like Nexus, then you can bet it'll probably end up there..

There's also kit-bashing possibilities out there. Depending on how easily models can be exported from the game and put into an editor, it's possible that many MANY modded mechs will be made strictly out of kitbashing resources. Granted, they might not be as pretty as something made from scratch, but if I could get a Mongoose or Wasp that looked "good enough" and had reasonable hardpoint setups, then I'd be thrilled.

Just look at what is already available for HBS Battletech . . . almost every MWO mech has been created as fan-based mods for the game. Even some homemade mechs have appeared, as well (some appear kitbashed, others homemade). All of that is done without any official modding support. PGI is actually providing modding support for MW5.

#20409 FLG 01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 10:30 AM

Posted Image

https://www.devianta...ech-A-801178444

New Mech art. Posted Image
...and it is one of the few remaining pre-Invasion Mechs which I would like to see in MWO.

#20410 Karl Streiger

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 11:39 AM

the roc? this is one of those great moments - a fantastic Mech that suffers only because he is one of those non-famous unseens.

#20411 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 10 June 2019 - 11:45 AM

View PostKarl Streiger, on 10 June 2019 - 11:39 AM, said:

the roc? this is one of those great moments - a fantastic Mech that suffers only because he is one of those non-famous unseens.

I'd still love to see the Chameleon. It isn't a common mech, however I think it would be a solid Medium to add and it has an interesting background. It is also a mech not seen in any game since BT: Crescent Hawk's Inception.

I'd love to see the Hollander II as well, however unlike the Hollander, the Chameleon would be more useful.

#20412 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 10 June 2019 - 01:01 PM

View Postthievingmagpi, on 03 June 2019 - 11:39 AM, said:

I want an IS heavy with 4 high mounted torso ballistics. That's probably the only mech I'd spend $$ on.

Well you could buy the Black Widow as it is almost exactly what you describe.

There's also the Dragonfire which while the ballistics aren't arm mounted it does have a good number of them. ;)
https://mwomercs.com...d-more-new-art/

#20413 BarHaid

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,069 posts
  • LocationMid-Cascadia

Posted 10 June 2019 - 07:55 PM

View PostFLG 01, on 10 June 2019 - 10:30 AM, said:

Posted Image

https://www.devianta...ech-A-801178444

New Mech art. Posted Image
...and it is one of the few remaining pre-Invasion Mechs which I would like to see in MWO.

I'm a bit torn with this. It's a great update to the standard depiction, but I have always wanted to see what someone could do with the original description. "Its unique walker/pod profile, later seen in the Stalker and Marauder, combined with a low silhouette similar to the UrbanMech makes the Ostroc difficult to spot in an urban environment."

Edited by BarHaid, 10 June 2019 - 07:58 PM.

#20414 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,199 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 11 June 2019 - 11:56 AM

View PostBarHaid, on 10 June 2019 - 07:55 PM, said:

I'm a bit torn with this. It's a great update to the standard depiction, but I have always wanted to see what someone could do with the original description. "Its unique walker/pod profile, later seen in the Stalker and Marauder, combined with a low silhouette similar to the UrbanMech makes the Ostroc difficult to spot in an urban environment."

As much as I like these OSTs ressens, I'm really curious of how Alex Iglesias would redesign them (based on the original concepts).

#20415 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,199 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 14 June 2019 - 08:06 AM

In case you are living under a rock this last few days:

https://bg.battletec...coming-july-17/

All of the new minis:

https://media.discor...Scout-Lance.jpg

https://media.discor...clan-mechs2.jpg

https://media.discor...Heavy-Lance.jpg

Wasp, Stinger and Walkyrie. <3

BTW, that mysterious mech in the Clan pack is the Grendel.

EDIT: at least 15 Clan (omni)mechs and 8 IS (Macross Unseen) mechs!!

Edited by Odanan, 14 June 2019 - 08:16 AM.

#20416 Sereglach

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 10:59 AM

View PostOdanan, on 14 June 2019 - 08:06 AM, said:

I know I should just be happy to see these, but I can't help looking at these with some disdain . . . . . .

PGI saves CGL's hide after CGL defaulted and cow-towed to HG, completely giving up and surrendering.
Now, after it's come out that CGL does literally NOTHING to support Mech Con while getting free press time, advertising, etc., they come out with a Kickstarter for a new line of minis that is heavily piggy-backing off of PGI's HG win and MWO's art style.

That's not even getting into the rants about CGL not being liked by game shops in this region or the state of TT Battletech and the company in general. Sorry . . . can't support this.

#20417 Jay Leon Hart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 15 June 2019 - 03:00 PM

Kickstarter? Aren't they already producing minis?

I may pick up the handful I care about (Thor, Loki, Nova Cat) once they release, but knowing the prices of TT models and international shipping, probably not.

#20418 Sereglach

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 15 June 2019 - 05:39 PM

View PostJay Leon Hart, on 15 June 2019 - 03:00 PM, said:

Kickstarter? Aren't they already producing minis?

I may pick up the handful I care about (Thor, Loki, Nova Cat) once they release, but knowing the prices of TT models and international shipping, probably not.

Companies that produce minis do Kickstarter campaigns all the time to fund expansions in production lines. Reaper does it with their bones line once every couple of years; and they're extremely worth the investment. However, I somehow doubt that CGL is going to match the value per dollar that a company as successful as Reaper can offer.

#20419 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 15 June 2019 - 06:53 PM

can't wait... but while I do, a little bit I whipped up this afternoon based on he new model of he Adder/Puma for the Clan INvasion Kickstarter
Posted Image

#20420 Valdarion Silarius

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,672 posts
  • LocationWubbing and dakkaing everyone in best jellyfish mech

Posted 17 June 2019 - 08:00 AM

https://bg.battletec...coming-july-17/

All of the new minis:

https://media.discor...Scout-Lance.jpg

https://media.discor...clan-mechs2.jpg

https://media.discor...Heavy-Lance.jpg

Wasp, Stinger and Walkyrie. <3

BTW, that mysterious mech in the Clan pack is the Grendel.

EDIT: at least 15 Clan (omni)mechs and 8 IS (Macross Unseen) mechs!!

I want that Grendel in MW:O, and I want it now.

View PostBishop Steiner, on 15 June 2019 - 06:53 PM, said:

can't wait... but while I do, a little bit I whipped up this afternoon based on he new model of he Adder/Puma for the Clan INvasion Kickstarter
Posted Image

Ok Bishop, how many Urbanmech K9's do I need to sacrifice to the mech gods in order to get a Rifleman IIC out of your art style?

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users