20517 replies to this topic

#4681 CDLord HHGD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 02 August 2013 - 02:28 PM

Awww, look. They put my name on it... :)

Posted Image

#4682 Anyone00

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 329 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 04:03 PM

View PostBelorion, on 02 August 2013 - 12:38 PM, said:

Probably not the case but it looks (looks) like it has crotch guns.

Edited by Anyone00, 02 August 2013 - 04:03 PM.

#4683 Der BruzZzler von Wiesndoof

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationAm Grill

Posted 02 August 2013 - 04:26 PM

View Postcdlord, on 02 August 2013 - 11:44 AM, said:

Where's my concept artwork for the remaining 3 Phoenix Mechs? :ph34r: They did the Locust, can we have the rest? Consistency please! I needs it. :)

I need it, too!
They have shown us the Phoenix Locust, but they don't show us the regular variants in front of the classic coast battle. A short story for each mech would be nice, too. I know, these green things are the regular variants, but it's not enough for me, cause all have the same camo without decals etc. I hope, they'll show us the regular variants in the "classic" announcement style soon. :unsure:

Edited by The Birdeater, 02 August 2013 - 04:28 PM.

#4684 Phoenix Branson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 02 August 2013 - 05:18 PM

I'm thinking the next heavy 'Mech announced is going to be a Star League design. If you look at the other weight classes, you will notice the following:

Light: Flea
Medium: Kintaro
Heavy: ------------
Assault: Highlander

With that said, which Star League 'Mech has the best chances? Well, lets look at the contenders:

Champion
Lancelot
Bombardier
Guillotine
Black Knight
Flashman

The Bombardier doesn't really offer anything new to MWO. The Guillotine, Black Knight and the Flashman have the issue of the variants being homogeneous. I think the Champion and Lancelot have the best chances with the Champion having a slight edge due to being a non-humanoid 'Mech (although the Lancelot is the fastest heavy 'Mech with one interesting ballistic variant). The distribution of hardpoints would keep the Champion sufficiently distinct from the Dragon. Thoughts?

Posted Image

Edited by Maverick01, 02 August 2013 - 05:45 PM.

#4685 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 02 August 2013 - 05:54 PM

View PostAnyone00, on 02 August 2013 - 04:03 PM, said:

Probably not the case but it looks (looks) like it has crotch guns.

It hasn't. (as the Highlander hasn't AMS in the legs)

#4686 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 02 August 2013 - 05:58 PM

View PostMaverick01, on 02 August 2013 - 05:18 PM, said:

The distribution of hardpoints would keep the Champion sufficiently distinct from the Dragon. Thoughts?

Not sufficiently distinct, unfortunately. (because it is quite beautiful, even in the TROs)

Lancelot, no doubts.

(the Guillotine would be great, but after the Quickdraw, it is pretty redundant)

#4687 Strum Wealh

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 02 August 2013 - 06:39 PM

View PostOdanan, on 02 August 2013 - 05:58 PM, said:

Not sufficiently distinct, unfortunately. (because it is quite beautiful, even in the TROs)

I disagree.

The layout of the Champion is very different from that of the Dragon (two extra lasers, missiles in the LT rather than the CT, no arm weapons at all (ACs in the RT, lasers and missiles in the LT, and lasers in the CT)), and the hardpoint potentials are also very different (particularly with regard to missiles). (The BTE links point to the named 'Mechs as of the time of this writing.)

Give one an extra ballistic hardpoint, give one an extra energy hardpoint, and give one an extra missile hardpoint; the combination of that, the distribution of hardpoints across the body (and thus unable to take agvantage of the greater firing arcs and faster tracking allowed by mounting weapons in actuated arms), and the geometry of the 'Mech (with both arms being empty and effectively vestigial... and given their usual shape in BT artwork, generally incapable of being used to effectively (if at all) shield the body) would keep the Champion sufficiently distinct from the Dragon.

Example CHP-1N:
LT: x2 ballistic (x1 LB 10-X)
CT: x2 energy (x2 Small Laser)
RT: x2 energy (x2 Medium Laser), x1 missile (x1 ASRM-6)
Standard Internal Structure, Standard 300 Engine, FF Armor (71% of maximum), Standard Heat Sinks

Example CHP-1N2:
LT: x1 ballistic (x1 LB 10-X)
RT: x3 energy (x2 Medium Laser), x1 missile (x1 ASRM-6)
Standard Internal Structure, Standard 300 Engine, FF Armor (71% of maximum), Double Heat Sinks

Example CHP-2N:
LT: x1 ballistic (x1 AC/10)
RT: x2 energy (x2 Medium Laser), x2 missile (x1 SRM-6)
Standard Internal Structure, Standard 300 Engine, Standard Armor (64% of maximum), Standard Heat Sinks

As described in the above examples, the Champion has the potential to carry a greater number of weapons (in different E/B/M ratios) than the Dragon, but has substantially less flexibility in bringing said weapons to bear (due to all of the weapons being torso-mounted).

Thoughts?

Edited by Strum Wealh, 02 August 2013 - 07:36 PM.

#4688 Joachim Viltry

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 227 posts
  • LocationTexas, USA, Terra, SOL System, Inner Sphere

Posted 02 August 2013 - 06:48 PM

I would love to see the old girl in the game, but realistically I think the chances of that were tanked when they decided to call MC purchasable Player Builds "Champion mechs"

- could you imagine the confusion?

"I'm driving my champion, champion" - classic "who is on first" style sketch follows...

#4689 Strum Wealh

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 02 August 2013 - 07:33 PM

View PostJoachim Viltry, on 02 August 2013 - 06:48 PM, said:

I would love to see the old girl in the game, but realistically I think the chances of that were tanked when they decided to call MC purchasable Player Builds "Champion mechs"

- could you imagine the confusion?

"I'm driving my champion, champion" - classic "who is on first" style sketch follows...

There are a number of ways to address that, including (but not limited to):
  • refer to the 'Mech as "CHP" (verbalized "cee-aitch-pee"; e.g. "Target Bravo is a CHP!")
  • refer to the 'Mech as a "Champ" (optionally followed by the variant designation) while referring to the status as "champion" (e.g. "Target Charlie is a Champ-1N2!", "I'm piloting a champion-Champ.")
  • refer to the status as "champ" while referring to the 'Mech as a Champion (e.g. "champ-Atlas", "champ-Dragon", "champ-Champion")

#4690 Joachim Viltry

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 227 posts
  • LocationTexas, USA, Terra, SOL System, Inner Sphere

Posted 02 August 2013 - 08:17 PM

View PostStrum Wealh, on 02 August 2013 - 07:33 PM, said:

There are a number of ways to address that, including (but not limited to)...

All well and good from a player standpoint, but that doesn't negate the real problem. Which is that PGI chose to use the word Champion as a term to describe mech variants designed by players. I'm doubtful that they will select a mech that could confuse both people who aren't familiar with the source material and people who aren't familiar with PGI's nomenclature.

They probably chose to use the word due to commonality of concept with the already used "Hero"... but, did they do that without forethought given to possible problems? Or does it mean that they already wrote off the Champion as a nonstarter?

Either way I don't think their going to give me the mech I really want. Now if they do give it too me I will celebrate, certainly... but by creating the naming conflict in the first place they will have displayed serious issues pertaining to planning.

#4691 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 03 August 2013 - 04:20 AM

For your information, I made a topic about balance/feature suggestions.
Please be gentle.

#4692 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 03 August 2013 - 08:09 AM

View PostOdanan, on 03 August 2013 - 04:20 AM, said:

For your information, I made a topic about balance/feature suggestions.
Please be gentle.

I'll be gentle as a chainsaw!

#4693 xhrit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 976 posts
  • LocationClan Occupation Zone

Posted 03 August 2013 - 12:20 PM

omg do want.

Posted Image

#4694 Colddawg

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 317 posts
  • LocationYork, Pennsylvania

Posted 03 August 2013 - 05:55 PM

View PostMaverick01, on 02 August 2013 - 05:18 PM, said:

I'm thinking the next heavy 'Mech announced is going to be a Star League design. If you look at the other weight classes, you will notice the following:

Light: Flea
Medium: Kintaro
Heavy: ------------
Assault: Highlander

With that said, which Star League 'Mech has the best chances? Well, lets look at the contenders:

Champion
Lancelot
Bombardier
Guillotine
Black Knight
Flashman

The Bombardier doesn't really offer anything new to MWO. The Guillotine, Black Knight and the Flashman have the issue of the variants being homogeneous. I think the Champion and Lancelot have the best chances with the Champion having a slight edge due to being a non-humanoid 'Mech (although the Lancelot is the fastest heavy 'Mech with one interesting ballistic variant). The distribution of hardpoints would keep the Champion sufficiently distinct from the Dragon. Thoughts?

Posted Image

I'd be interested to see how Alex remakes the Champion!

#4695 Tennex

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 06:03 PM

really wanted to see some chicken legged mediums.. feel like there arn't any good ones in this timeline.

Posted Image
Crab
Posted Image
Strider

what else?

Edited by Tennex, 03 August 2013 - 06:17 PM.

#4696 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 03 August 2013 - 06:24 PM

View PostTennex, on 03 August 2013 - 06:03 PM, said:

really wanted to see some chicken legged mediums.. feel like there arn't any good ones in this timeline.

Posted Image
Strider

Eh...the Strider is an Omnimech.

#4697 Tennex

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 06:33 PM

View PostFupDup, on 03 August 2013 - 06:24 PM, said:

Eh...the Strider is an Omnimech.

ah oops. so really just the crab

Edited by Tennex, 03 August 2013 - 06:33 PM.

#4698 Anjian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 09:59 AM

Chicken legged mediums? Comes the Clans, the first and most iconic Clan medium, the Storm Crow aka the Ryoken.

Posted Image

#4699 Anjian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 10:04 AM

If you're going to put a 55 ton medium mech this month, I thought bringing the Hoplite in would have been a better idea if you are tired of humanoid designs. The artwork for this Hoplite is actually from Alex Inglesias, pre MWO days. This probably gives you the best idea if ever how this mech would look if it comes to MWO.

Posted Image

#4700 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 04 August 2013 - 10:50 AM

View PostAnjian, on 04 August 2013 - 10:04 AM, said:

If you're going to put a 55 ton medium mech this month, I thought bringing the Hoplite in would have been a better idea if you are tired of humanoid designs. The artwork for this Hoplite is actually from Alex Inglesias, pre MWO days. This probably gives you the best idea if ever how this mech would look if it comes to MWO.

The Hoplite would be a terrible mech in MWO... too slow, with very limited hardpoints...
(it has that ugly beauty which Alex Iglesias works so well, tough)

66 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 66 guests, 0 anonymous users