BattleMech Balance

20517 replies to this topic

#5001 Butane9000

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,788 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 03 September 2013 - 09:53 AM

My only complaint is the cockpit. Looks seriously view obstructing.

#5002 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 03 September 2013 - 11:17 AM

Ugly painting and not the right colors (Kerenky's Orion is supposed to be green) but hey, it looks like I will log in today and finally spend my last MC's.

#5003 Jack Gallows

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 02:34 PM

Change the Orange to Green and it'd be not bad Odanan. I don't spend money on hero 'mechs though.

#5004 Steinar Bergstol

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,622 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 03 September 2013 - 03:01 PM

View PostOdanan, on 03 September 2013 - 11:17 AM, said:

Ugly painting and not the right colors (Kerenky's Orion is supposed to be green) but hey, it looks like I will log in today and finally spend my last MC's.

They probably don't want to do a proper Kerensky paintscheme for a hero mech because, well, every basic mech gets a drab green coat of paint to begin with. Pretty much all the hero mechs have been rather colorful rather than any sort of military green scheme.

#5005 Phoenix Branson

• Legendary Founder
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 03 September 2013 - 08:34 PM

I wonder what 'Mech they are going to announce for Sept. As the light class is rather lacking at the moment, I'm thinking PGI will announce the Firestarter. We shall see...

#5006 Colddawg

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 317 posts
  • LocationYork, Pennsylvania

Posted 03 September 2013 - 08:57 PM

View PostMaverick01, on 03 September 2013 - 08:34 PM, said:

I wonder what 'Mech they are going to announce for Sept. As the light class is rather lacking at the moment, I'm thinking PGI will announce the Firestarter. We shall see...

What about the Firefly?

I still vote for the Javelin or Mongoose.

#5007 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 04 September 2013 - 02:57 AM

View PostMaverick01, on 03 September 2013 - 08:34 PM, said:

The September mech is clearly the Orion.

Unless they start adding 2 mechs per month, it looks like there won't be an announcement in September. ;(

View PostJack Gallows, on 03 September 2013 - 02:34 PM, said:

Change the Orange to Green and it'd be not bad Odanan. I don't spend money on hero 'mechs though.

It turns out I'm some MCs short to buy it... well, I will have to wait the C-Bills variants. (no hurry, as I'm no playing the game)

#5008 Jack Gallows

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 04:40 AM

View PostOdanan, on 04 September 2013 - 02:57 AM, said:

It turns out I'm some MCs short to buy it... well, I will have to wait the C-Bills variants. (no hurry, as I'm no playing the game)

Yea, that's my major dilemma. I was so utterly pumped about the Orion since it had been announced, but the 3PV fiasco and yesterday's patch keep me from having any drive to log in.

Is it bad I still want to see 'mech announcements because I like using them for repaints even if I'm not into the game itself? lol

#5009 John MatriX82

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,398 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 04 September 2013 - 04:40 AM

View PostOdanan, on 04 September 2013 - 02:57 AM, said:

The September mech is clearly the Orion.

It is, but it's "meh". GR is not more an option (as a XL engine is, left side is big, right side holds ballistic so it's easy to get disarmed) so you're basically stuck with an AC 20, the issued 300 std some meds and some srms without artemis (I don't even consider to invest MCs in heroes anymore so I'm referring to the cbill variants). And until speed tweak it's as slow as elite assaults.. I'll exp Kintaroes and Orions, until the SH I don't have anything else to do..

Edited by John MatriX82, 04 September 2013 - 04:42 AM.

#5010 Steinar Bergstol

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,622 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 04 September 2013 - 05:15 AM

Personally I wish we couldn't change engine, internal structure or armor on our mechs at all. That way we wouldn't have seen this inflation on speed and mechs known to be heavily armored (Thunderbolt) would be so while those known to be less armored (Warhammer legs, anyone?) would have those weaknesses and the mechs would keep more of their original character. I know it's never gonna happen, but I can dream. :(

#5011 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 04 September 2013 - 05:22 AM

View PostSteinar Bergstol, on 04 September 2013 - 05:15 AM, said:

Personally I wish we couldn't change engine, internal structure or armor on our mechs at all. That way we wouldn't have seen this inflation on speed and mechs known to be heavily armored (Thunderbolt) would be so while those known to be less armored (Warhammer legs, anyone?) would have those weaknesses and the mechs would keep more of their original character. I know it's never gonna happen, but I can dream. :(

I would like to see something in that direction, like suggested here (Armor Limits).
The same way there is a cap for engine, there should be for armor. You could add or remove a few tons, for minor adjustments, but the base armor should be considered for something.

#5012 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 04 September 2013 - 05:29 AM

View PostJack Gallows, on 04 September 2013 - 04:40 AM, said:

Yea, that's my major dilemma. I was so utterly pumped about the Orion since it had been announced, but the 3PV fiasco and yesterday's patch keep me from having any drive to log in.

Is it bad I still want to see 'mech announcements because I like using them for repaints even if I'm not into the game itself? lol

Totally agreed with you.
I'm not playing (for these reasons), but I love the Alex Iglesias' art.

Actually, after checking the Orion variants, it looks like I would prefer the regular ones (K, V and VA) instead of the Protector (clever name, PGI - I must give you that).
This ON1-K should be a very powerful brawler (even if hot).

#5013 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:31 AM

View PostOdanan, on 04 September 2013 - 05:22 AM, said:

I would like to see something in that direction, like suggested here (Armor Limits).
The same way there is a cap for engine, there should be for armor. You could add or remove a few tons, for minor adjustments, but the base armor should be considered for something.

Boy, I sure got burned for making that suggestion.
http://mwomercs.com/...om-one-another/
Yet I stand by it, as the AC40 Jager would never have been an issue had it only been able to add a certain amount of armor, yet it COULD have been used as a support mech still (aka, it's actual intended role). I would still have kept the absolute maximum armor for each tonnage class as they are, but some mechs, like the Jagermech would not be able to reach it. But I would not want the Thunderbolt to be carrying as much armor as a Victor, either.

#5014 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 04 September 2013 - 10:13 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 04 September 2013 - 09:31 AM, said:

Boy, I sure got burned for making that suggestion.
http://mwomercs.com/...om-one-another/
Yet I stand by it, as the AC40 Jager would never have been an issue had it only been able to add a certain amount of armor, yet it COULD have been used as a support mech still (aka, it's actual intended role). I would still have kept the absolute maximum armor for each tonnage class as they are, but some mechs, like the Jagermech would not be able to reach it. But I would not want the Thunderbolt to be carrying as much armor as a Victor, either.

It is a good idea. Of course some people will go against any restriction to customization, even hardpoints.

And why not a Thunderbolt with more armor than a Victor?

#5015 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 11:01 AM

View PostOdanan, on 04 September 2013 - 10:13 AM, said:

It is a good idea. Of course some people will go against any restriction to customization, even hardpoints.

And why not a Thunderbolt with more armor than a Victor?

More maximum armor. I don't think overall (just my opinion) that a 65 ton brawler should carry more maximum potential armor than an 80 ton one, especially one paying for it by being really big anyhow. Theoretical maximums by chassis, bei it with a 25 or 50% max increase, would probably end up similar with the current tonnage caps anyhow, as the T-Bolt stock carries more armor anyhow. I just assume a near maxed armor stock mech is already bulked up to near max without impairing movement, and any more would limit it's mobility (similar to why I think a Jager with 13 tons of armor modified to it makes little sense, since armor isn't just a cut and paste affair to modify in real world. It's actually often easier to modify weapons than armor on a combat vehicle, since it's much more that simply adding a second plate to increase effectiveness.

#5016 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 04 September 2013 - 11:05 AM

A Thunderbolt carries much more armor than a stock Charger, for instance. It makes sense it to have more maximum armor.

#5017 Colddawg

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 317 posts
  • LocationYork, Pennsylvania

Posted 04 September 2013 - 11:57 AM

Personally I think if PGI was smart they would have limited customization from the start to engines, armor, ammo, and heat sinks for each variant. They're bringing in hero 'Mechs and have some variants to choose from so the NEED to customize weaponry isn't really there. Then when they introduced the clans there would be weapon customization but very little armor and engine modifications aside from the variants. This then leaves the player to choose to want to be able to change the characteristics of the 'Mech or the weaponry of the 'Mech, making them choose between IS and clan designs.

#5018 Belorion

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,469 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 04 September 2013 - 12:26 PM

Why would you buy it if you are not playing the game anyway?

#5019 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 02:52 PM

View PostOdanan, on 04 September 2013 - 11:05 AM, said:

A Thunderbolt carries much more armor than a stock Charger, for instance. It makes sense it to have more maximum armor.

Charger, Victor, Awesome also all have heavier and stronger internal structures and actuators for carrying that armor. 1 ton of armor on the torso does not have the same shear weight and stress fatigue issues that 1 ton of armor on the end of an extended 3-5 meter long arm does.

#5020 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 04 September 2013 - 02:56 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 04 September 2013 - 02:52 PM, said:

Charger, Victor, Awesome also all have heavier and stronger internal structures and actuators for carrying that armor. 1 ton of armor on the torso does not have the same shear weight and stress fatigue issues that 1 ton of armor on the end of an extended 3-5 meter long arm does.

We are talking about space robots of dozens of tons.
I say: Armor limitation makes sense in terms of gameplay (as MWo limits the engine and weapons).

42 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 42 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Facebook