ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 03 November 2013 - 02:41 PM

View PostFireSlade, on 03 November 2013 - 02:18 PM, said:

Thanks to some hasty decisions and little forward thinking, PGI basically screwed themselves and the Clans. Although as Wieland pointed out they have plenty of time to fix it........ (Dammit PGI!)

funnily enough, most of the "hasty decisions" that have been balance nightmares IMO have come when PGI did finally cave and listen to the serial QQers on the forums.

#5702 FireSlade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 03 November 2013 - 02:55 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 03 November 2013 - 02:41 PM, said:

funnily enough, most of the "hasty decisions" that have been balance nightmares IMO have come when PGI did finally cave and listen to the serial QQers on the forums.

I agree and since everyone has to have things done in 30 seconds because they do not know how to wait, so PGI never thought the fixes through. So we end up with half-assed fixes that do not really fix the problem but instead covers it up and later down the road causes havoc with balance when they add something new. To be honest though I do feel that the Devs. never thought past the Innersphere mechs and mechanics, causing many issues that need to be addressed before they release the Clans. Plus they refuse to say "hey we ****** up and need to change this mechanic to balance the game" and instead keep piling on bandaids just so they can save face; ECM, UAC, etc.

Edited by FireSlade, 03 November 2013 - 02:56 PM.

#5703 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,201 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 03 November 2013 - 03:56 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 03 November 2013 - 02:41 PM, said:

I wouldn't say Ghost Heat was a hasty decision - they put a lot of thinking on that.
You know my opinion: I think most of the balance issues are because they don't listen to the community, not the contrary.

#5704 Colddawg

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 317 posts
  • LocationYork, Pennsylvania

Posted 03 November 2013 - 09:18 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 03 November 2013 - 12:35 PM, said:

it's an amputee. :(

I know. Still looks good.

View PostOdanan, on 03 November 2013 - 02:36 PM, said:

Hopefully they will do some "Clan Invasion" event.

Why wouldn't they if they turned back the clock that far. The initial periphery invasions, which I'm sure they'll use as a "test bed" for the clan 'Mechs, also giving them the excuse to keep them out of CW for a time, were in August through December 3049 with the next stage not until March 3050. That means for us that they're on track for releasing clan 'Mechs by summer next year and adding to them over Q2 through Q1 2015. Assuming they have several made already including an initial release of four, we could be seeing just about as many clan 'Mechs as we have IS 'Mechs now.

#5705 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,201 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 04 November 2013 - 03:53 AM

View PostColddawg, on 03 November 2013 - 09:18 PM, said:

Assuming they have several made already including an initial release of four, we could be seeing just about as many clan 'Mechs as we have IS 'Mechs now.

16 Clan omnimechs. Unless they will add some IIC "variants".

#5706 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:50 AM

View PostOdanan, on 04 November 2013 - 03:53 AM, said:

16 Clan omnimechs. Unless they will add some IIC "variants".

With the exception of some of the IIC variants (HBK IIC), the 16 Omnis in the 3050 TRO are where the Clans ended for me.... With rare exception, there are very few mechs in later books that I like visually... Alex has worked wonders though (Kintaro) so I refrain from passing judgement (other than a strong caution).

#5707 SgtMagor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 06:20 AM

doesn't matter to me if Clan mechs are Omni or not, I want to have the Kodiak with jumpjets :(Posted Image

#5708 Colddawg

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 317 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 08:09 AM

I think we can assume they won't just pick the OmniMechs. There's too many good second line 'Mechs out there.

#5709 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,201 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 04 November 2013 - 08:24 AM

View PostSgtMagor, on 04 November 2013 - 06:20 AM, said:

doesn't matter to me if Clan mechs are Omni or not, I want to have the Kodiak with jumpjets :P

View PostColddawg, on 04 November 2013 - 08:09 AM, said:

I think we can assume they won't just pick the OmniMechs. There's too many good second line 'Mechs out there.

The problem with the second line Clan mechs is: they don't have the 3 required variants.
PGI might change the XP system, but until then, the only Clanners we will get are the Omnimechs and [perharps] the IIC (which can be treated as variants of the IS mechs, in order to add them to the game).

#5710 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,201 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 04 November 2013 - 08:30 AM

From the OP:

View PostOdanan, on 27 June 2012 - 10:48 AM, said:

(Speculation) Coming soon: clan mechs.

The Clans invade the Inner Sphere proper in March, 3050 (that's March, 2013 for us players). So, there is a possibility that their concept arts start to appear any moment. UPDATE: it looks like the Clans will take much longer to be introduced in the game, according with this interview.
There are 16 clan onmi mechs in 3050 (IS names / clan names):

Light: Medium: Heavy: Assault:
EDIT: don't forget to read this.

Edited by Odanan, 05 November 2013 - 03:17 AM.

#5711 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,201 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:42 AM

There are other Clan omnimechs in the current timeline (or in the next few years), tough. Even if introduced by later Technical Readouts.

This is a list up to 3053, but you can see that PGI can actually round the number of IS and Clan mechs, if they want.

Light
- Arctic Cheetah (Hankyu) - production year: 3037
- Phantom - production year: 3052
- Fire Falcon - production year: 3052

Medium
- Battle Cobra - production year: 2873
- Stooping Hawk - production year: 2970
- Shadow Cat - production year: 3003
- Huntsman (Nobori-nin) - production year: 3049
- Pouncer - production year: 3050
- Black Lanner - production year: 3052
- Mongrel (Grendel) - production year: 3053

Heavy
- Lupus - production year: 2857 (surpassed by newer designs)
- Woodsman - production date: 2865 (extinct?)
- Crossbow - production year: 2870 (but with some later alt. configs)
- Ebon Jaguar (Cauldron-Born) - production year: 3049
- Linebacker - production year: 3052
- Night Gyr - production year: 3052

Assault
- Kingfisher - production year: 2887
- Naga - production year: 2945
- Turkina - production year: 3052

If I had to choose 1 of each weight for featuring in MWO first, they are: Arctic Cheetah (older design), Shadow Cat (iconic), Ebon Jaguar (iconic) and Kingfisher (rare but old - and a 90 tons Clanner). Here is a good "Reinforcement Clan Package".

Edited by Odanan, 05 November 2013 - 03:17 AM.

#5712 Colddawg

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 317 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 01:02 PM

Can't wait for the Ebon Jaguar. Which there's another discussion we can do.... Ebon Jaguar or Cauldron Born? We all know the lore about it right?

#5713 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 01:12 PM

View PostColddawg, on 04 November 2013 - 01:02 PM, said:

Can't wait for the Ebon Jaguar. Which there's another discussion we can do.... Ebon Jaguar or Cauldron Born? We all know the lore about it right?

I'm usually a clan name {Godwin's Law}, but have to admit, the IS call-sign, Cauldron Born, and it's connotations of Celtic zombies, is, IMO way cooler.

Even if I never was able to get the in game versions to quite live up to the moniker. :P

#5714 FireSlade

• 1,174 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 04 November 2013 - 01:39 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 04 November 2013 - 01:12 PM, said:

I'm usually a clan name {Godwin's Law}, but have to admit, the IS call-sign, Cauldron Born, and it's connotations of Celtic zombies, is, IMO way cooler.

Even if I never was able to get the in game versions to quite live up to the moniker. :P

Funny thing is in MW3 that thing was a beast compared to the other heavies, even my beloved Timber Wolf. It's low profile most likely helped with that. The Ebon Jaguar is probably the only mech where I like the IS name better than the Clan name since it pays homage to the Clan that created it, the Smoke Jaguars (ironically the only clan that I do not like).

#5715 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 06:54 PM

nothing to see here.....
Posted Image

just move along :P

#5716 Colddawg

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 317 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 07:03 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 04 November 2013 - 01:12 PM, said:

Ebon Jaguar is an Irish name for basically "Irish Zombie." So having Cauldron Born as the IS name was actually pretty damn close to the clan meaning. Which is why I am asking/discussing which name should we use.

For those who don't know the lore, the Ebon Jaguar is so new that most of the clans took up the IS moniker for it.

#5717 Whatzituyah

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,236 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationIn a dark corner waiting to alpha strike his victim.

Posted 04 November 2013 - 08:56 PM

There is different kinds of mechs with the same hardpoints as other mechs but did that stop PGI from releasing hero mechs? No because for some reason theres like more then 10 out there so what stops the King Crab or any other mech you crossed out from appearing? I had to throw that one out there too the op.

#5718 Strum Wealh

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:16 PM

View PostColddawg, on 04 November 2013 - 07:03 PM, said:

Ebon Jaguar is an Irish name for basically "Irish Zombie." So having Cauldron Born as the IS name was actually pretty damn close to the clan meaning. Which is why I am asking/discussing which name should we use.

For those who don't know the lore, the Ebon Jaguar is so new that most of the clans took up the IS moniker for it.

I'd like to see a source or supporting statement for the claim that "Ebon Jaguar is an Irish name for basically 'Irish Zombie'". :P

#5719 Colddawg

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 317 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:32 PM

View PostStrum Wealh, on 04 November 2013 - 09:16 PM, said:

I'd like to see a source or supporting statement for the claim that "Ebon Jaguar is an Irish name for basically 'Irish Zombie'". :P

I'm only quoting Sarna so don't yell at me if they didn't do their homework.

[color=#000000]Named after the zombies of Irish myth, [/color]Inner Sphere[color=#000000] warriors that first encountered it during the [/color]Battle of Luthien[color=#000000] called this [/color]'Mech[color=#000000] the [/color]Cauldron-Born[color=#000000]. Ironically, the [/color]Clan Smoke Jaguar[color=#000000] 'Mech that was intended to replace the [/color]Loki[color=#000000] was not referred to by its [/color]Clan[color=#000000] designation, [/color]Ebon Jaguar[color=#000000], by other Clans as it was still so new that many Clans just called it by its Inner Sphere designation. It was made to ambush its enemy with a low body, similar to the [/color]Lyran[color=#000000] [/color]Bushwacker[color=#000000], that makes it harder to target.[/color][1]

#5720 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:37 PM

not looking to lock horns, but nowhere in that do I see anything trying to say that "ebon jaguar" was the old Irish way of saying cauldron born. :P

Cauldron Born was the old Irish myth of zombies, and I believe it was a Kell Hound who coined the name. All the preface says is ironically, the Clan Mech meant to replace the Loki(HellBringer) is better known by it's IS reporting name.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users