#5721 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,201 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 05 November 2013 - 02:10 AM

View PostStrum Wealh, on 04 November 2013 - 09:16 PM, said:

I'd like to see a source or supporting statement for the claim that "Ebon Jaguar is an Irish name for basically 'Irish Zombie'". :)

Actually, the text says "Cauldron Borne" is the "Irish Zombie"... There are no Jaguars in the Irish culture.

#5722 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,201 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 05 November 2013 - 02:29 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 04 November 2013 - 06:54 PM, said:

nothing to see here.....
Spoiler

just move along :)

Next hero mech?

#5723 John MatriX82

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,398 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 05 November 2013 - 03:13 AM

View PostOdanan, on 05 November 2013 - 02:29 AM, said:

Next hero mech?

a IIC not IIC? xD

That artwork is sexy Bishop..

Edited by John MatriX82, 05 November 2013 - 03:14 AM.

#5724 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,201 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 05 November 2013 - 03:27 AM

View PostJohn MatriX82, on 05 November 2013 - 03:13 AM, said:

a IIC not IIC? xD

That artwork is sexy Bishop..

That's because we don't know if they will ever add the IICs... but they promissed a Hunchback with "two giant cannons"...

About the number of mechs, I will be very happy if PGI round things up like this, at least until the end of 2015:

30 IS mechs, 7 for each weight class plus 2 extra mediums (Wolverine and Griffin);
20 Clan omnimechs, the original 16 (4 for each weight class), plus 4 "extra" omnimechs (suggested: Arctic Cheetah, Shadow Cat, Ebon Jaguar and Kingfisher). There is room for more omnimechs soon, tough, as there is a new "batch" produced in 3052.

#5725 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 05 November 2013 - 04:26 AM

View PostOdanan, on 05 November 2013 - 03:27 AM, said:

That's because we don't know if they will ever add the IICs... but they promissed a Hunchback with "two giant cannons"...

About the number of mechs, I will be very happy if PGI round things up like this, at least until the end of 2015:

30 IS mechs, 7 for each weight class plus 2 extra mediums (Wolverine and Griffin);
20 Clan omnimechs, the original 16 (4 for each weight class), plus 4 "extra" omnimechs (suggested: Arctic Cheetah, Shadow Cat, Ebon Jaguar and Kingfisher). There is room for more omnimechs soon, tough, as there is a new "batch" produced in 3052.

not to pick nits, but the splash on the HBK(F) video doesn't actually promise anything. It mentions a fact, which could indeed be a teaser, or simply a fact (kind of like the only thing better than 1ac20 is 2 sort of thing).

Also notice a lot of comments on the IIC just being part of the IS Version Pilot skill tree, which I think is just wrong. Firstly, IS pilots will hopefully not have access to Clan Mechs (otherwise it's just the arms race and wipe out the last 2 years of mechs) or Tech in general. And Clan Pilots, even second string, certainly don't have access to the IS versions in general to complete their pilot trees. (The few non upgraded mechs in the clan toumans are pretty much the "Stock" or (hopefully, if they come into play) the SLDF Royals variants. Having to master A Kurita or Davion variant ShadowHawk to unlock a SHD-IIC is just silly. Of course the pilot tree progression through 3 variants is silly to begin with, so, yeah)

#5726 John MatriX82

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,398 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 05 November 2013 - 04:33 AM

To me that it's the hint that brings us to the IIC's; even the choice to release rare mechs like Highlanders along with several chassis with IIC versions (some even in the Phoenix pack)

Commando
Griffin
Highlander
Hunchback
Jenner
Locust
Orion
Shadow Hawk
Thunderbolt

Think about that, they already have the IS chassis, it wouldn't take too much effort in terms of modeling to add those variants. And without them being omnimechs (thus without 3 canonical variants available), they could simply be added to the current IS chassis selection as a further variant to level along with the non-IIC ones.

Bushwacker! xD

#5727 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 04:35 AM

20 Clan omnimechs, the original 16 (4 for each weight class), plus 4 "extra" omnimechs (suggested: Incubus, Shadow Cat, Ebon Jaguar and Kodiak). There is room for more omnimechs soon, tough, as there is a new "batch" produced in 3052.

FTFY

#5728 Strum Wealh

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 05 November 2013 - 04:55 AM

Though, neither the Vixen/Incubus nor the Kodiak are OmniMechs (as demonstrated by their having numbered variants rather than letter-designated configurations). Also, the original Vixen artwork is totally a battroid-form VF, subjecting it to the scourge that is Harmony Gold... :)

#5729 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 05:09 AM

View PostStrum Wealh, on 05 November 2013 - 04:55 AM, said:

Though, neither the Vixen/Incubus nor the Kodiak are OmniMechs (as demonstrated by their having numbered variants rather than letter-designated configurations). Also, the original Vixen artwork is totally a battroid-form VF, subjecting it to the scourge that is Harmony Gold... :)

Yup. I don't want 20 straight omnis. I want me some second liners. Also the Incubus (which to my mind has more in common with the type 98 Ingram of Patlabor than a VF from Macross, but that's just me) has been re-imagined already, and the reason it was dropped was more to VMI and their desire to simply get away from all non in-house art to avoid future HG situations. I don't think there is a worry there, though the reseen version is one of the more hideous renditions.

But love the hardpoints, only real weakness is lack of JJs. But make this thing spider sized?

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 05 November 2013 - 05:13 AM.

#5730 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 05 November 2013 - 05:36 AM

but they promissed a Hunchback with "two giant cannons"...

Not looking to stir up anything here, but a single word hint ("yet....") in the hunchback intro video ~1 year ago does not equate to a promise. The only references provided thus far have been that video. Would it be cool? Hellz yeah! Will I break out my torches and pitch forks if it doesn't happen? No.

#5731 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,201 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 05 November 2013 - 06:56 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 05 November 2013 - 04:35 AM, said:

FTFY

But the Incubus/Vixen and Kodiak are not omnimechs... ;)

EDIT: ninjaed by Strum Wealh.

EDIT: looks like someone used to play MW2:GBL. :)

Edited by Odanan, 05 November 2013 - 07:01 AM.

#5732 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,201 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 05 November 2013 - 06:59 AM

BTW, if the Hunchback IIC is not going to be in the game, why not releasing a similar hero?

#5733 Strum Wealh

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 05 November 2013 - 07:30 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 05 November 2013 - 05:09 AM, said:

Yup. I don't want 20 straight omnis. I want me some second liners. Also the Incubus (which to my mind has more in common with the type 98 Ingram of Patlabor than a VF from Macross, but that's just me) has been re-imagined already, and the reason it was dropped was more to VMI and their desire to simply get away from all non in-house art to avoid future HG situations. I don't think there is a worry there, though the reseen version is one of the more hideous renditions.

But love the hardpoints, only real weakness is lack of JJs. But make this thing spider sized?
I can see the arms as being more Ingram-ish, but I feel that the legs, torso (especially the upper half), and the gun pod are far more reminiscent of the Valkyrie.

Still, 'tis quite a foxy 'Mech. :)
(Yeah, I went there... ;))

If all it took was a redraw, though... well, there are at least three different alternate versions of the Marauder now: the one from the Japanese release of BattleTech (which were penned by personnel from Studio Nue, no less), the one from TRO:PP, and the one from XTRO:SW1.

Japanese BT Marauder:
Posted Image

TRO:PP Marauder:
Posted Image

XTRO:SW1 Marauder:
Posted Image

Surely, either of the latter two or some amalgamation of all three (rendered through the lens of FD's design aesthetic, of course) could result in a passable (in both the "HG-proof" and "player acceptance" standpoints) Marauder design? :D

#5734 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,201 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 05 November 2013 - 08:00 AM

Although I'm an old Robotech fan, I find the Reseen (PP) Marauder the best. Very, very sexy. Specially in Alex's hands.

#5735 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,201 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 05 November 2013 - 08:04 AM

View PostStrum Wealh, on 05 November 2013 - 07:30 AM, said:

I can see the arms as being more Ingram-ish, but I feel that the legs, torso (especially the upper half), and the gun pod are far more reminiscent of the Valkyrie.

Still, 'tis quite a foxy 'Mech. :)
(Yeah, I went there... ;))

LOL :D

#5736 FireSlade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 05 November 2013 - 02:07 PM

The Hunchback IIC is a cheater mech. It is designed to unload a shitload of damage very quickly thus it has very little staying power. Clanners would often use it to just about guarantee them a kill in the Trial of Position so that they could be mechwarriors but they would very rarely have anymore ammo or armor for a second (Star Commander) or third kill (Star Captain). Would be a nasty little mech in MWO with how short the battles are.

Also for those wondering the name Ebon Jaguar, means “Black Jaguar” thus paying homage to the clan that made it. Ebon is another word for Black or Dark Brown. I prefer Cauldron Born though since it sounds scarier than Ebon Jaguar.

On a side note I picked up the Jester and after one battle out with it, stock except I replaced 2SL with 2ML and 1 less DHS, and all I can say is damn…… The lack of JJs hurts a bit but I think they did that to avoid poptarting. Heating is pretty well controlled considering that my first run out with it was on Terra Therma and I did not overheat. The twin AMS basically makes missiles not a threat, but you only have half the regular AMS ammo. I like it but I cannot decide if I want to modify it or leave it as is.

#5737 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,201 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 05 November 2013 - 03:13 PM

View PostFireSlade, on 05 November 2013 - 02:07 PM, said:

The Hunchback IIC is a cheater mech. It is designed to unload a shitload of damage very quickly thus it has very little staying power. Clanners would often use it to just about guarantee them a kill in the Trial of Position so that they could be mechwarriors but they would very rarely have anymore ammo or armor for a second (Star Commander) or third kill (Star Captain). Would be a nasty little mech in MWO with how short the battles are.

Also for those wondering the name Ebon Jaguar, means “Black Jaguar” thus paying homage to the clan that made it. Ebon is another word for Black or Dark Brown. I prefer Cauldron Born though since it sounds scarier than Ebon Jaguar.

On a side note I picked up the Jester and after one battle out with it, stock except I replaced 2SL with 2ML and 1 less DHS, and all I can say is damn…… The lack of JJs hurts a bit but I think they did that to avoid poptarting. Heating is pretty well controlled considering that my first run out with it was on Terra Therma and I did not overheat. The twin AMS basically makes missiles not a threat, but you only have half the regular AMS ammo. I like it but I cannot decide if I want to modify it or leave it as is.

There is always room for improving.
Here are two options, both without AMS: Standard Engine and XL Engine. But personally, I don't like Large Lasers.

PS: At least change the ugly painting.

#5738 FireSlade

• 1,174 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 05 November 2013 - 04:00 PM

View PostOdanan, on 05 November 2013 - 03:13 PM, said:

There is always room for improving.
Here are two options, both without AMS: Standard Engine and XL Engine. But personally, I don't like Large Lasers.

PS: At least change the ugly painting.

Oh I agree that there is room for improving and I was trying to consider doing just that though I am not sure if I want to do that just yet. The stock design is pretty lethal as is and twin AMS is addicting to have. SSRMs basically do 0 damage, LRMs barely hit me even when standing in the open like an ***** and with a couple other guys with AMS missiles do not even threaten us. All in all it is a fun K2 that really catches people off guard.

#5739 Phoenix Branson

• Legendary Founder
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 05 November 2013 - 06:52 PM

Bishop...

Interesting conversation on twitter; talking about police-themed UrbanMech... <_<
https://twitter.com/...774698664898561

Edited by Maverick01, 05 November 2013 - 07:10 PM.

#5740 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 07:03 PM

View PostMaverick01, on 05 November 2013 - 06:52 PM, said:

Interesting conversation on twitter...
https://twitter.com/bryanekman

Charles@charlesjt1977 30 Oct
@bryanekman UI 2.0 is looking pretty solid! Random thought, will we ever see a police themed hero mech for MWO?

Bryan Ekman@bryanekman 1 Nov
@charlesjt1977 anything is possible. Maybe a military police.

Charles@charlesjt1977 1 Nov
@bryanekman A police themed UrbanMech would be absolutely epic!

Bryan Ekman@bryanekman 1 Nov
@charlesjt1977 yes it would.

they are soooo tormenting me right now, aren't they?

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users