#1461 Strum Wealh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:16 PM

View PostWintersdark, on 04 January 2013 - 06:49 PM, said:

I'd really prefer they add a JJ capable medium, even if that requires taking creative license with variants. I understand they need 3 for the xp system, but we need a solid JJ medium more than another assault right now.

Have we already dismissed the Dervish (with its DV-6M, DV-6Md, and DV-7D variants) as a candidate? :)

View PostStrum Wealh, on 02 January 2013 - 06:26 PM, said:

The Dervish is currently in production (by the Federated Suns), has respectable speed for a Medium (86.4 kph), is at the heaviest (and as yet unrepresented) weight-bracket for the Medium class (55 tons), is jump-capable, and does have three variants that could be available:
  • DV-6M (basic variant)
  • DV-6Md (Star League era variant that uses LosTech and upgrades the LRM-10s to LRM-15s (with 3 tons of ammo); all required LosTech - XL Engine and CASE - has been rediscovered)
  • DV-7D (available in 3047; uses Endo Steel internal structure, Ferro Fibrous armor, CASE, and DHS; upgrades the SRM-2s to Streak SRM-2s (with one ton of ammo))
The main point against it is that all of the variants are fairly homogeneous - missile launchers in both arms and both side-torso locations, and an additional energy weapon in each arm.

Hypothetically, PGI could differentiate them by:
  • DV-6M: add one additional energy hardpoint to each side-arm (for a total of two energy hardpoints in each arm, one missile hardpoint in each arm, and one missile hardpoint in each side-torso)
  • DV-6Md: add one additional missile hardpoint to each side-torso (for a total of one energy hardpoint in each arm, one missile hardpoint in each arm, and two missile hardpoints in each side-torso)
  • DV-7D: add one additional missile hardpoint to each arm (for a total of one energy hardpoint in each arm, two missile hardpoints in each arm, and one missile hardpoint in each side-torso)
As described, each Dervish variant would have a total of 8 hardpoints, with one (DV-6M) being more energy-heavy, one (DV-6Md) focusing on missiles mounted in the slower-tracking but better-armored torso, and one (DV-7D) focusing on missiles mounted in the faster-tracking but more-vulnerable arms.

Your thoughts?

#1462 Dyson Ring

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 178 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia, Australia

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:16 PM

View PostWintersdark, on 04 January 2013 - 07:12 PM, said:

It would be a great addition to the game. I'd rather see a heavier jump medium (as adding the Cicada jump variant can fill the light-jump-medium role), though - something to bridge the enormous gap between the Jenner and the Catapult in terms of jump capable mechs.

Particularly as there's also the Cataphract and ("soon") Highlander for heavier jump capable mechs, it just seems so damn bizarre that there's no mediums at all with jump jets.

I'd figure they'd be pushing a lot harder to fill that void.

Well, we're getting the Trebuchet.

I don't see them leaving the 5J or the 7M variants out, personally.

TBT-5J - The 5J variant of the Trebuchet is a tradeoff that sacrifices firepower for mobility. One of the two LRM-15 launchers have been removed and replaced with five jump jets, giving the Trebuchet a jumping distance of one hundred and fifty meters. Additionally, the armor has been increased by half a ton and five heat sinks have been added to the design. It was first produced by the Free Worlds League in 2850 for their mobile regiments and used to surprising effect in their debut against the Capellan Confederation's Chesterton Reserves.

TBT-7M - Upgraded with Star League technology, the 7M variant is built with on an Endo Steel chassis and uses a 250 Magna XL engine, giving it the same performance but allowing the design to mount ten double heat sinks and five Rawlings 50 jump jets for a jumping distance of one hundred and fifty meters. It also allows for the Zeus LRM-15s' ammo to be protected by CASE and for a Narc Missile Beacon with two tons of ammo, improving not only the Trebuchet's accuracy but allowing it to share targeting information with other similarly-equipped 'Mechs.

Edited by Dyson Ring, 04 January 2013 - 07:19 PM.

#1463 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:26 PM

I was thinking.... there will be 16 omni clan mechs in 3050, right?

There is space for 4 more mechs (to round 20, the same as the IS ones)... without much effort, they could be:

Jenner IIC (light)
Hunchback IIC (medium) -> they hinted the coming of this mech in the Hunchie video.
Orion IIC (heavy)
Highlander IIC (assault)

This mechs could count as variants of the IS mechs, for XP purposes.

It would be a great addition to the game. I'd rather see a heavier jump medium (as adding the Cicada jump variant can fill the light-jump-medium role), though - something to bridge the enormous gap between the Jenner and the Catapult in terms of jump capable mechs.

Particularly as there's also the Cataphract and ("soon") Highlander for heavier jump capable mechs, it just seems so damn bizarre that there's no mediums at all with jump jets.

I'd figure they'd be pushing a lot harder to fill that void.

You guys always forget the Blackjack!

#1464 Strum Wealh

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:38 PM

View PostDyson Ring, on 04 January 2013 - 07:16 PM, said:

Well, we're getting the Trebuchet.

I don't see them leaving the 5J or the 7M variants out, personally.

TBT-5J - The 5J variant of the Trebuchet is a tradeoff that sacrifices firepower for mobility. One of the two LRM-15 launchers have been removed and replaced with five jump jets, giving the Trebuchet a jumping distance of one hundred and fifty meters. Additionally, the armor has been increased by half a ton and five heat sinks have been added to the design. It was first produced by the Free Worlds League in 2850 for their mobile regiments and used to surprising effect in their debut against the Capellan Confederation's Chesterton Reserves.

TBT-7M - Upgraded with Star League technology, the 7M variant is built with on an Endo Steel chassis and uses a 250 Magna XL engine, giving it the same performance but allowing the design to mount ten double heat sinks and five Rawlings 50 jump jets for a jumping distance of one hundred and fifty meters. It also allows for the Zeus LRM-15s' ammo to be protected by CASE and for a Narc Missile Beacon with two tons of ammo, improving not only the Trebuchet's accuracy but allowing it to share targeting information with other similarly-equipped 'Mechs.

Both of those variants were confirmed in Ask the Devs 18. :)

View PostGarth Erlam, on 24 September 2012 - 09:05 AM, said:

Q: Can you release which variants of the already-announced Battlemechs (Cataphract, Stalker, Trebuchet, Cicada, Raven) you plan to implement? [Redshift2k5]
A: So far we have: Cataphract - CTF-1X; CTF-3D; CTF-2X; CTF-3L; CTF-4X. Stalker - STK-5M; STK-3F; STK-3H; STK-4N; STK-5S. Trebuchet - TBT-7M; TBT-3C; TBT-5J; TBT-5N; TBT-7K. Cicada - CDA-3M; CDA-2A; CDA-2B; CDA-3C. Raven - RVN-3L; RVN-2X; RVN-4X. [Garth]

#1465 Dyson Ring

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 178 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia, Australia

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:44 PM

View PostStrum Wealh, on 04 January 2013 - 07:38 PM, said:

Both of those variants were confirmed in Ask the Devs 18. :)

Oops, didn't read ATD 18.

Anyway, we'll have a 45 and 50 ton JJ 'Mech, so we don't have to worry about lack of mediums with them.

#1466 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:47 PM

For those new in this thread, don't forget to read the original post.

I expanded the assault mechs list to discuss practically all the possible candidates.

#1467 Thomas Covenant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationOn an adventure.

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:57 PM

- Hunchback IIC (medium) -> they hinted the coming of this mech in the Hunchie video.

W-what?? This video?:

#1468 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:11 PM

View PostThomas Covenant, on 04 January 2013 - 07:57 PM, said:

W-what?? This video?

0:39 CONS: doesn't have 2 GIANT CANNONS
0:44 (yet)

#1469 Strum Wealh

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:23 PM

View PostOdanan, on 04 January 2013 - 07:47 PM, said:

For those new in this thread, don't forget to read the original post.

I expanded the assault mechs list to discuss practically all the possible candidates.

On the subject of the OP, might it be worthwhile to include the ASW-9Ma (famously used by Adam Steiner in the old BattleTech cartoon) under the Hero 'Mech category? :)

View PostStrum Wealh, on 03 January 2013 - 04:08 PM, said:

With the in-game year now being 3050, it is possible that we could see the AWS-9Ma as a hero variant of the Awesome in the near future...

"AWS-9Ma - A customized variant of the stock AWS-9M model that was utilized by Adam Steiner during the 1st Somerset Strikers' liberation of Somerset in the midst of the Clan Invasion, the pulse lasers were removed and the AWS-8Q's standard Small Laser restored, the remaining weight devoted to a Guardian ECM Suite, Command Console and two tons of advanced Communications Equipment. The small laser was moved to the left arm, and forty double heat sinks kept things cool."

The Jade Falcon occupation of Somerset (around which the BattleTech cartoon was focused) apparently lasts from May 3050 to November 3050, so Adam Steiner's -9Ma variant would have been created sometime within that period.

#1470 Butane9000

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,788 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:50 PM

I'd say rather then the Dervish we're more likely to see the Vindicator.

It's a solid all around medium with a varied arsenal and JJ capability. Which would mean we'd have 3 JJ capable mechs (Cicada (eventually), Blackjack and if put in the Vindicator). It's a common battlemech for the era.

The only thing I am unsure about is the availability of the variants. If I am not mistaken at this point in time the available variants are VND-1R, VND-1X, VND-1SIC, VND-1AA and if the game is still going in three years we can see the introduction of the VND-3L.

Edited by Butane9000, 04 January 2013 - 10:50 PM.

#1471 Morang

• 1,259 posts
  • LocationHeart of Darkness

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:31 PM

Content roadmap says that Trebuchet will be introduced in February. Though prime variant doesn't mount JJs, two of the variants available by 3050 are jumping: 5J and 7M. And Blackjack is also announced.

#1472 Der BruzZzler von Wiesndoof

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationAm Grill

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:21 AM

View PostWintersdark, on 04 January 2013 - 06:49 PM, said:

I'd really prefer they add a JJ capable medium...

The Trebuchet 5J has JJ's and the Blackjack, too.
The next possible medium mech should be something that fills the 55 ton gap, but there isn't much stuff. The Hoplite su cks and Dervish and Kintaro are both too similar to the Trebuchet. The rest is unseen or they don't fit to the current timeline.

#1473 goodguy461

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:43 AM

why cant we add the timberwolf??
Its a very iconic design that many people will recognise, and be very tough to beat on the battlefield

#1474 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:59 AM

View Postgoodguy461, on 05 January 2013 - 03:43 AM, said:

Its a very iconic design that many people will recognise, and be very tough to beat on the battlefield

Wait until March.

#1475 Butane9000

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,788 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:29 AM

View Postgoodguy461, on 05 January 2013 - 03:43 AM, said:

The Timberwolf is a clan mech and won't appear until a few months. Though there is no guarantee it will be playable.

Edited by Butane9000, 05 January 2013 - 10:05 AM.

#1476 Ghostrider0067

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 397 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationChandler, AZ, USA

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:10 PM

View PostButane9000, on 04 January 2013 - 10:50 PM, said:

The only thing I am unsure about is the availability of the variants. If I am not mistaken at this point in time the available variants are VND-1R, VND-1X, VND-1SIC, VND-1AA and if the game is still going in three years we can see the introduction of the VND-3L.

I, too, would love to see the VIndicator. It's a House Liao staple and something every Liao mechwarrior should learn to appreciate.

As for thepart I highlighted.. that's the reason why I feel a 1:1 timeframe isn't such a good idea. If it were 2:1, I think we'd be much better off.

#1477 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:31 PM

View PostGhostrider0067, on 05 January 2013 - 02:10 PM, said:

I, too, would love to see the VIndicator. It's a House Liao staple and something every Liao mechwarrior should learn to appreciate.

And every enemy to fear. Just like every other Liao mech. :P

#1478 Zaptruder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 716 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:53 PM

View PostKinLuu, on 04 January 2013 - 01:47 PM, said:

Very nice little stinger. I like the paintjob aswell.

View PostOdanan, on 04 January 2013 - 06:51 PM, said:

Very cool, specially the legs and torso.
But I find the head too different from the Unseen and the Reseen and I don't like these "hand guns" (I prefer something like that arm gun you made for the Battlemaster).

Cheers fellas. The head is a tricky one. I made it bigger to accomodate a cockpit (actually the cockpit has to fit in both the head and neck), and also kept the rule of thumb of having an orange glass plate cockpit. But I think the chin was a bit too much; I touched it up (took it away) and it seems to make something of a difference... but I think I'll have to revisit it later when I have some distance from the design.

As for the handgun... I think I prefer the mounted guns as well... but I'll keep the handgun in this case (just as something different) - because I want it to be differentiated from the Wasp as well (who has the right hand removed for the gun).

But here's the Phoenix Hawk (in Lyran Guard colours) with a mounted LL cannon instead of a hand carried gun.

Posted Image

As always, comments & feedback is appreciated. Cheers.

Next up: Shadow Hawk... then probably a bit of a break.

#1479 Tiger Woods

Rookie

• The 1 Percent
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:19 PM

What about the hermes II? It has 3 variants in the timeline that are all quite different than each other. Of course I personally would love nothing more than to get to pilot the clint with an XL engine in it.

#1480 Norris J Packard

• 1,972 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:12 AM

Why is January 30th the next suspected day? I can't figure out where this is coming from. Most of the past conjectures have made sense, I just can't wrap my head around this one is all.

37 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 37 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Facebook