Ultimate Mech Discussion Thread

BattleMech Balance

20517 replies to this topic

#1661 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:06 AM

View PostNorris J Packard, on 17 January 2013 - 07:47 AM, said:

PGI says a lot of things.

What would FD be doing all this time? And as was proved by the Awesome adn Highlander release, they indeed have the art and just don't show it.

#1662 Norris J Packard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:15 AM

View PostAdridos, on 17 January 2013 - 08:06 AM, said:

What would FD be doing all this time? And as was proved by the Awesome adn Highlander release, they indeed have the art and just don't show it.

I asked FD in a PM a few days ago exactly how much he has done, and he told me flat out that he's typically 3-4 Mechs ahead unless he's busy with other stuff.

#1663 Adridos

• Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:30 AM

View PostNorris J Packard, on 17 January 2013 - 08:15 AM, said:

I asked FD in a PM a few days ago exactly how much he has done, and he told me flat out that he's typically 3-4 Mechs ahead unless he's busy with other stuff.

Am I the only one jealous of Hayden? He got to see those designs long ago... :)

#1664 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:41 AM

I still think after the 20th mech (next assault), there will be the 16 omni clan mechs.

For next IS mechs, I would suggest:

Light: Firestarter (another 35 tonner, but with a lot of variants)
Medium: Clint
Heavy: Guillotine
Assault: Zeus/Banshee

#1665 Butane9000

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,788 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:52 PM

Just wanted to throw something out there about the new Hero Mech.

So far we have 4 hero mechs. 1 medium and 3 heavies. The next one is going to be a light, specifically a Commando. It's a chassis people don't play as much, even with the bonus of a ECM variant. This thread has discussed what we might see next from a hero mech and I still put my vote towards an Awesome. Now I feel it's more likely due to them giving the Commando a hero mech. It was hands down the worst light before the Spider. And one can argue it still is.

Hero Mechs:

#1 - Yen Lo Wang - Centurion 50T

#2 - Ilya Muromets - Cataphract 70T

#3 - Flame - Dragon 60T

#3 - Fang - Dragon 60T

Now besides the Cataphract both the Centurion and Dragon were both considered the weakest of their weight classes currently in game at the time. The Cataphract is the odd one out nobody expected, at least I didn't. But what about what's coming next?

#4 - Death's Knell - Commando 25T

#5 - ?

My vote for #5 is an Awesome. But how do you make it different? That's the question that I always immediately think of. Here's my take on what the hard points would be to make a hero Awesome different.

Head - 1 Missile
Right Torso - 1 or 2 Missile, AMS
Center Torso - 1 Energy
Left Torso - 1 or 2 Missile
Right Arm - 1 Energy
Left Arm - 1 Energy
Right Leg - None
Left Leg - none

It could even be made to look different by having circular missile pods on the torso slots and it's claw arm removed and replaced with a barrel arm. I imagine it's stock armament would be 3 Large Lasers (arms and CT), 2 SRM6's (torsos) and 1 LRM5 (head).

If you factor in Founder mechs it means we won't be seeing a Jenner, Hunchback, Catapult and Atlas any time soon. That leaves us with the Raven, Spider, Cicada and Stalker. However if we don't factor them in considering they are limit to the player base, non-acquirable and a copy of an existing version it's likely we will see one of those as well as the others.

Honeslty I place my bets on the 6th hero mech being a Cicada.

Also, I really want that Awesome I described.

#1666 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:08 PM

I agree the Awesome needs a hero mech. To make it different from the other variants, I think it hould have at least 1 ballistic hardpoint (why not?).

And the Cicada hero could have jump jets. :)

#1667 themoob

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 589 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:20 PM

I'd buy an Awesome with ballistics in a second, and I don't even like Assaults.

#1668 Strum Wealh

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:27 PM

View PostThontor, on 17 January 2013 - 06:14 PM, said:

Ballistic hardpoint in the head!

:)

Hmmm...
  • x2 ballistic (x1 RA, x1 HD)
  • x4 energy (x2 RT, x2 LT)
  • x2 missile (both in CT)
Overpowered? Underpowered? Just right? :huh:

(Assuming they're not going to hold off on a Hero Awesome until later this year, and then introduce Adam Steiner's AWS-9Ma (which was the custom variant he used during the period covered by the BattleTech cartoon) as the second canon Hero 'Mech...?)

#1669 Norris J Packard

• 1,972 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:28 PM

Wasn't that in 3051?

#1670 Adridos

• Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:28 PM

View PostThontor, on 17 January 2013 - 06:14 PM, said:

Ballistic hardpoint in the head!

Vindicator has one too. And we all know it's going to be the next medium in the game. :)

#1671 Lagfest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 362 posts
  • LocationIn a Mech

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:16 AM

If you wanted to think a little differently,

The hero Awesome could have the following lay out:

HD - AMS
RA / LA - 1 E each
RT / LT - 2 B each + 1 M each

Give it a little additional armor and a lower speed cap
What do ya have? A Mauler in all but name

DO IT NAOW!

#1672 Strum Wealh

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:29 AM

View PostNorris J Packard, on 17 January 2013 - 08:28 PM, said:

Wasn't that in 3051?

The cartoon itself (which, IIRC, is not considered part of BT canon) indicates that it covers March 02, 3050 (the date given for the CJF invasion of Somerset, from the beginning of the first episode; the same episode indicates that Steiner learned of the invasion while at the Nagelring on March 05) to September of the same year (Steiner arrives at Somerset in Ep. 12, stating "After six months, we're finally coming home." just before the intro theme starts).

Even more specifically, the AWS-9Ma (along with a pre-production prototype of the Bushwacker) shows up in Ep. 07 (which doesn't seem to give a date or indication of time elapsed).
However, it would still be within that period (which, IIRC, BT canon gives as March through November, rather than March through September), so it's possible that the -9Ma could make an appearance later this year if "canonical Hero 'Mech" is what the Devs decide to go for... :huh:

(Also, I'm still interested in feedback regarding my proposed, hypothetical hardpoint layout... :P)

#1673 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:45 AM

View PostStrum Wealh, on 17 January 2013 - 08:27 PM, said:

Hmmm...
  • x2 ballistic (x1 RA, x1 HD)
  • x4 energy (x2 RT, x2 LT)
  • x2 missile (both in CT)
Overpowered? Underpowered? Just right? :huh:

(Assuming they're not going to hold off on a Hero Awesome until later this year, and then introduce Adam Steiner's AWS-9Ma (which was the custom variant he used during the period covered by the BattleTech cartoon) as the second canon Hero 'Mech...?)

Hmm... dual Gauss assault? I can hear some ranting from the anti-P2W crowd already. :P

I see a tendency in the hero mechs: they usually have less hardpoints than the standard variants.

But I agree the hero Awesome needs at least 1 ballistic hardpoint to make it different from the others. The same for the hero Stalker. Just swapping hardpoint locations it's getting boring...

Ah, and if I would make a hero Cicada, I would make it with 6x ballistics (machinegun madness) + jump jets. Named Froghopper or Spittlebug. :huh:

EDIT: oh, it's "x1 RA, x1 HD", not "x1 RA, x1 LA". No dual Gauss possibility. Sorry, misread your post.

Edited by Odanan, 18 January 2013 - 04:54 AM.

#1674 sarkun

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:31 AM

I think the Awesome could use a hero mech, and the Steiner's ride would fit the bill nicely... have less hardpoints than the standard 9M but have access to ECM - making it the first hero mech to be able to equip it.

#1675 Adridos

• Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:03 AM

View PostOdanan, on 18 January 2013 - 04:45 AM, said:

But I agree the hero Awesome needs at least 1 ballistic hardpoint to make it different from the others.

With ballistic weapons, it just isn't Awesome anymore. Leave those for Devastator, or Annihilator.

#1676 Penance

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:30 AM

I almost started to cry when I saw the list of clan mechs, especially the heavies.

#1677 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:49 AM

View PostAdridos, on 18 January 2013 - 06:03 AM, said:

With ballistic weapons, it just isn't Awesome anymore. Leave those for Devastator, or Annihilator.

Well, without ballistics, it will be exactly like another Awesome, but with swapped hardpoints. Forgive me it I want a little variety.

PS: if you are going to make a hero mech, do it properly. Not another Death's Knell.

#1678 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:52 AM

View PostPenance, on 18 January 2013 - 07:30 AM, said:

I almost started to cry when I saw the list of clan mechs, especially the heavies.

Yes, they are coming. Vulture, Loki, Thor and Mad Cat will make a lot of people happy in the community.

#1679 Adridos

• Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:42 AM

View PostOdanan, on 18 January 2013 - 07:49 AM, said:

PS: if you are going to make a hero mech, do it properly. Not another Death's Knell.

Hero mechs are simple variants. The more they differ from the normal mech's capabilities, the closer they are to the P2W point, which noone wants to get.

#1680 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:02 AM

If they include a fix for the Awesome, yes I would buy a Hero mech Awesome. Right now both the Stalker and Atlas take double the amount of damage to bring down. Maybe it's hitbox size, but the MWO Awesome has to be Assault Class toughness or you hurt your team alot by bringing one into a match.

Right now the Awesome is like the mech that was sucked up by a Kansas tornado and dropped into MWO, except it didn't get no Ruby Slippers! It just doesn't match the other 'mechs in it's class for Assault mech toughness and it's loadouts are similar to what Medium mechs carry.

Also, it's Zeus.

If they add the Hatamoto Chi MWO will lose all sense of scale. You would have to agree that seeing a Samurai Warrior attacking you instead of a mech would make the buildings seem minature and the other mechs human sized. More than they do now.

105 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 105 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Facebook