Ultimate Mech Discussion Thread

BattleMech Balance

20517 replies to this topic

#2741 Norris J Packard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:07 PM

View PostStarfish McGregor, on 08 March 2013 - 07:58 PM, said:

I would like to see the Black Knight as the next mech...obviously, it will not be the next one, but after the Orion would be nice.
I feel it is a better mech. Good speed, lots of different weapons, excellent armor.

Starfish McGregor

The Black Knight is an energy boat, it offers much less variety than the Orion.

And I say this as a guy who loves the Black Knight.

#2742 Ens

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,088 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 09 March 2013 - 06:41 AM

no #20 again........RAGE!!!!!

#2743 Joe Mallad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,740 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 09 March 2013 - 03:14 PM

View PostNorris J Packard, on 08 March 2013 - 08:07 PM, said:

The Black Knight is an energy boat, it offers much less variety than the Orion.

And I say this as a guy who loves the Black Knight.
you do realize that its going to get to the point that they are going to run out of ways to make every mech different in some way right? There will be a time when Im sure we will have many mech that all do the same thing and have the same weapon load outs and hard points. The only difference will be the look of the mech. One guy may like the Black Knight and another may like a different mech that does the same exact thing in every way to the Black Knight... but that second guy likes the other mech because its not the Black Knight lol.

#2744 Norris J Packard

• 1,972 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 03:43 PM

View PostYoseful Mallad, on 09 March 2013 - 03:14 PM, said:

you do realize that its going to get to the point that they are going to run out of ways to make every mech different in some way right? There will be a time when Im sure we will have many mech that all do the same thing and have the same weapon load outs and hard points. The only difference will be the look of the mech. One guy may like the Black Knight and another may like a different mech that does the same exact thing in every way to the Black Knight... but that second guy likes the other mech because its not the Black Knight lol.

I do realize that, but Mechs that don't add any more variety to a weight class shouldn't be considered until a later period of time.

The Heavy class needed a real brawler, they got that in the form of the Orion.

Sure, make the next Heavy the Black Knight, you will hear no complaints from me, but to have added it before the Orion would have been a mistake.

#2745 Lonestar1771

• 1,991 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 09 March 2013 - 04:29 PM

I'm to the point where I'm ready to stop visiting the forums. I already quit playing the game. PGI obviously has no interest in making a GOOD game, just one that sells (which this one probably doesn't as well as they hoped). Must be taking a page out of EA's book.

#2746 Butane9000

• Elite Founder
  • 2,788 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 09 March 2013 - 05:03 PM

Let's look at what each weight class gives us.

Note: Not all variants listed are in production. Information comes from Sarna & The Master Unit List

Guide
Brawler - ability to wade into the thick of combat and survive prolonged close quarters combat
Direct fire support - provides direct fire support through auto-cannons and energy weapons/Sniping
Indirect fire support - provides indirect fire support through long range missiles
Rear Line Support - defending/assisting indirect fire support mechs
Front Line Support - assisting front line brawlers
Variant variety - chassis has more then 4 variants available (not counting hero mechs)
MRF - Mixed role fighter, can cover a variety of combat roles at once
Jump Jets - One or more variants has the ability to equip jump jets
H&R - Hit and Run combat
Fast Attack - Maintaining attack speeds of 85kp/h+ in prolonged combat engagements
Scout - Forward recon & skirmishing

Lights
Jenner - H&R, Fast Attack, Scout, Jump Jets, Rear Line/Front Line support
Raven - H&R, Fast Attack, Scout, Jump Jets, ECM, Rear Line/Front Line support
Commando - H&R, Scout, ECM, Rear Line/Front Line support
Spider - H&R, Fast Attack, Scout, Jump Jets, ECM, Rear Line/Front Line support
Flea - H&R, Scout, Rear Line/Front Line support

Mediums
Hunchback - Brawler, Variant variety
Centurion - Rear line support, Front line support, MRF
Cicada - Light hunter, Fast attack, H&R, ECM, Scout, Rear Line/Front Line support
Trebuchet - Indirect fire support, Jump Jets, variant variety
Blackjack - Direct fire support, Jump Jets

Heavy
Dragon - Fast Attack, H&R, Front line support
Catapult - Indriect & Direct fire support, Jump Jets
Cataphract - Brawler, Jump Jets, MRF
Jagermech - Direct & Indirect fire support
Orion - Brawler, MRF

Assault
Atlas - Brawler, MRF, ECM
Awesome - Direct & Indirect fire support, MRF, variant variety
Stalker - Direct & Indirect fire support, variant variety
Highlander - Brawler, Jump Jets, MRF

Now the only thing really missing from the assaults is something that is able to be fast attack and variant variety. That's what makes the Banshee fit so nicely aside from filling in the tonnage gap role. It has these 5 variants available in the timeline according to the Master Unit List: BNC-3E, BNC-3M, BNC-3Q, BNC-3S, BNC-3MC.

Banshee - Fast Attack, Bralwer, MRF, variant variety

Let's look at the Zeus

Zeus - Brawler, Direct & Indirect fire support, MRF, variant variety

It cover one of the needed factors in variant variert with upwards of 9 variants released by or on the year 3049. The downside is a lot of these variants are only minor changes as well as lost or discontinued. Of which I am unsure. The Master Unit List reads off these: ZEU-5T, ZEU-5S, ZEU-6S, ZEU-6T, ZEU-9S and the ZEU-9S-DC. I am not counting the 6S1 and 6S-DC variants as they are sketchy.

The Charger gives us both variant variety and a fast attack assault but at the cost of firepower. It has these variants available: CGR-1A1, CGR-1A5, CGR-1A9, CGR-1L, CGR-3K. Both the Charger and Zeus are another 80 ton mech and would be a alternative to the Awesome.

Charger - Fast Attack, Front/Rear Line Support, variant variety

So given this information I feel it boils down to the Charger or the Banshee and my vote still lies with the Banshee due to it also filling in a unqiue tonnage gap.

Go! Banshee Go!

Note: Why did I make this? Boredom at work, and to make conversation!

#2747 SgtMagor

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 05:32 PM

keep repeating this, But I never saw a Banshee in a MechWarrior Game, please let it be this one!

#2748 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 09 March 2013 - 11:19 PM

View PostLonestar1771, on 09 March 2013 - 04:29 PM, said:

I'm to the point where I'm ready to stop visiting the forums. I already quit playing the game. PGI obviously has no interest in making a GOOD game, just one that sells (which this one probably doesn't as well as they hoped). Must be taking a page out of EA's book.

If they were like EA, we'd already be playing Mechassault 3.

#2749 CDLord HHGD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 10 March 2013 - 04:11 AM

View PostAdridos, on 09 March 2013 - 11:19 PM, said:

If they were like EA, we'd already be playing Mechassault 3.

If they were EA, they would have already ruined this game irrevocably (RIP WAR). I HATE EA!

#2750 Der BruzZzler von Wiesndoof

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationAm Grill

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:38 AM

View PostButane9000, on 09 March 2013 - 05:03 PM, said:

Now the only thing really missing from the assaults is something that is able to be fast attack and variant variety. That's what makes the Banshee fit so nicely aside from filling in the tonnage gap role. It has these 5 variants available in the timeline according to the Master Unit List: BNC-3E, BNC-3M, BNC-3Q, BNC-3S, BNC-3MC.

Banshee - Fast Attack, Bralwer, MRF, variant variety

So given this information I feel it boils down to the Charger or the Banshee and my vote still lies with the Banshee due to it also filling in a unqiue tonnage gap.

Go! Banshee Go!

Man! Your words in PGI's ears! :)

#2751 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:21 AM

View PostButane9000, on 09 March 2013 - 05:03 PM, said:

Banshee - Fast Attack, Brawler, MRF, variant variety
Zeus - Brawler, Direct & Indirect fire support, MRF, variant variety

Great analysis, but I wouldn't say the Banshee is "Fast Attack" (because ALL other mechs except the Atlas, Stalker and Awesome are of the same speed of the Banshee and can go faster). Surely, it's faster than the Atlas, Stalker and stock Awesome, but it's of the same stock speed of the Zeus, who can be customized to reach faster speeds.

Even so, I think it will be the Banshee, because the Zeus is too much like the Orion.

You forgot another "fast" assaults, like the Victor, Hatamoto Chi and Cyclops - all of the someway strong candidates.

#2752 Belorion

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,469 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:55 AM

View PostNorris J Packard, on 08 March 2013 - 12:08 PM, said:

They'd make more money if they simply emulated the Hunchback IIC.

No JJ's though, obviously.

I kind of get the impression that the first Clan mechs we will see will be comprised of a lot of the II versions of the mechs already in game. This will let them bring a full line up to the game with only minimal additions. Thought I am sure the Mad Cat/Timberwolf will be among the additions lest they get lynched.

There are less of them than I remembered or I should say, there are less of them that are not unseen that I remember but it does give the option for:

Hunchback IIC
Orion IIC
Highlander IIC
Commando IIC
Jenner IIC

Edited by Belorion, 10 March 2013 - 10:10 AM.

#2753 Ens

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,088 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:09 AM

today is as good as any....

for releasing some ZEUS!!!!!
go go go O_o

#2754 Norris J Packard

• 1,972 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:12 AM

View PostBelorion, on 10 March 2013 - 09:55 AM, said:

I kind of get the impression that the first Clan mechs we will see will be comprised of a lot of the II versions of the mechs already in game. This will let them bring a full line up to the game with only minimal additions. Thought I am sure the Mad Cat/Timberwolf will be among the additions lest they get lynched.

There are less of them than I remembered or I should say, there are less of them that are not unseen that I remember but it does give the option for:

Hunchback IIC
Orion IIC
Highlander IIC
Commando IIC
Jenner IIC

They aren't in TRO 3050, so they won't be.

Edited by Norris J Packard, 10 March 2013 - 11:00 AM.

#2755 Belorion

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,469 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:32 AM

View PostNorris J Packard, on 10 March 2013 - 10:12 AM, said:

They are in TRO 3050, so they won't be.

They are in 3050 is exactly why I am predecting that we will see the IIC versions.

#2756 Ens

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,088 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:32 AM

View PostNorris J Packard, on 10 March 2013 - 10:12 AM, said:

They are in TRO 3050, so they won't be.

you meant 3058?

#2757 Belorion

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,469 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:47 AM

I think the only one of those that is actually in the TRO 3058 is the Hunchback IIC with a listed introduction of 2856 which just squeaks into the timeline we are in by about 200 years.

:)

#2758 Norris J Packard

• 1,972 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:01 AM

View PostEns, on 10 March 2013 - 10:32 AM, said:

you meant 3058?

I meant to type aren't.

I wasn't looking at the screen.

View PostBelorion, on 10 March 2013 - 10:32 AM, said:

They are in 3050 is exactly why I am predecting that we will see the IIC versions.

They aren't in TRO 3050.

It doesn't matter if canonically they were there, under that assumption they may as well put in the Kodiak and the Shadow Cat.

But they won't.

#2759 Belorion

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,469 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:14 AM

View PostNorris J Packard, on 10 March 2013 - 11:01 AM, said:

I meant to type aren't.

I wasn't looking at the screen.

They aren't in TRO 3050.

It doesn't matter if canonically they were there, under that assumption they may as well put in the Kodiak and the Shadow Cat.

But they won't.

I am not sure what your point is. Neither is the Highlander or the Dragon, not to mention most of the varients of the mech in game. For example the only Commando in the TRO 3050 is the 5S, which isn't even in the game. If they have gone by a particular TRO for these first IS mechs, it has been the TRO 3039.

#2760 Norris J Packard

• 1,972 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 11:19 AM

View PostBelorion, on 10 March 2013 - 11:14 AM, said:

I am not sure what your point is. Neither is the Highlander or the Dragon, not to mention most of the varients of the mech in game. For example the only Commando in the TRO 3050 is the 5S, which isn't even in the game. If they have gone by a particular TRO for these first IS mechs, it has been the TRO 3039.

Okay, you're clearly not understanding this.

The Clan Mechs are not present in any TRO prior to 3050. They aren't. That's it.

We don't see any Mechs or Mech variants from any of the later TRO's in this game.

Why? Because it doesn't match with the timeline that PGI is sticking with.

So if PGI is sticking to this timeline, and the Mechs aren't in the books until the later prints. There is absolutely no reason, whatsoever to believe that they will be in this game. I'm sorry, that's just the facts.

Edited by Norris J Packard, 10 March 2013 - 11:21 AM.

23 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 23 guests, 0 anonymous users