BattleMech Balance

20517 replies to this topic

#3761 Phoenix Branson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 24 May 2013 - 05:50 PM

Odanan, can you please update the OP by replacing the Follow up Assault Candidates with Light Candidates?
I think people would like to see your thoughts regarding the next Light BattleMech for MWO...

Light BattleMechs
Javelin
UrbanMech
Firestarter
Panther
Wolfhound
Thorn
Hornet
Mongoose
Falcon
Hermes
Hussar
did I miss any?

Edited by Maverick01, 24 May 2013 - 06:23 PM.

#3762 Strum Wealh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 24 May 2013 - 06:18 PM

View PostMaverick01, on 24 May 2013 - 05:50 PM, said:

Odanan, can you update the OP by replacing the Follow up Assault Candidates with Light Candidates?

Already listed here. :D
  • Thorn (20 tons)
  • Mongoose (25 tons)
  • Hermes (30 tons) [several variants require MASC - but, there are three MASC-less and timeline-appropriate variants]
  • Hussar (30 tons) [not a lot of hardpoint options, given the armaments of the stock variants - but, that didn't stop the Spider]
  • Javelin (30 tons)
  • UrbanMech (30 tons) [requires implementation of sub-100 rating Engines to work]
  • Firestarter (35 tons) [there are already two other 35-tonners - but, that didn't stop the Trebuchet in light of the Centurion and Hunchback]
IMO, the Thorn, Mongoose, and Firestarter (not necessarily in that order) are the most likely candidates.

Thoughts?

#3763 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 24 May 2013 - 06:21 PM

Mongoose is boring...

And Thorn isn't that big deal...

UrbanMech is a necessity (if you consider the mass of fans).

And Firestarter is the second most common non-Unseen light mech in the Inner Sphere, with tons of variants and very good hardpoints.

Edited by Odanan, 24 May 2013 - 06:22 PM.

#3764 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 24 May 2013 - 06:29 PM

I want one last wave of IS mechs before the Clans:

Light: UrbanMech (because 50% of th MWO Community will have a nerdgasm);
Medium: Dervish* (to close the 55 vacancy);
Heavy: Guillotine** (we need a good jumping Heavy brawler - and all other remaining heavies would suck in MWO);
Assault: Banshee (and all the stars will be aligned).

I hope PGI, after the Clans, will get enough confidence to start bringing Reseens. Those would be amazing in he game (zillions of variants, great loadouts, most iconic mechs ever).

* Kintaro would also do the job, but I find it too similar to the Trebuchet.
** Grasshopper is very similar, but the Guillotine looks cooler, is slightly more common in the Houses (even if less known by the players) and, in my humble opinion, has a little more room for hardpoint diversity.

Edited by Odanan, 25 May 2013 - 03:28 AM.

#3765 Strum Wealh

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 24 May 2013 - 06:49 PM

View PostOdanan, on 24 May 2013 - 06:21 PM, said:

Mongoose is boring...

And Thorn isn't that big deal...

And Firestarter is the second most common non-Unseen light mech in the Inner Sphere, with tons of variants and very good hardpoints.

The Mongoose has an interesting aesthetic - one of the few true digitigrade designs (something the "Reverse-Joint"/"Chicken-Walkers" cannot claim) and very faun-like (fun fact: the faun should not be confused with the satyr or the fawn).
On top of that, it's well-armed (for a Light 'Mech) and is very fast (the basic variant comes stock with a 200-rated engine and a baseline top speed of 130 kph).
Moreover, it is essentially the only other currently-viable non-Clan 25-tonner (aside from the Commando).

The Thorn is essentially the only other currently-viable non-Clan 20-tonner (aside from the Flea) and doesn't really have anything particularly compelling going against its inclusion.

The Hermes is also very fleet-of-foot (with the basic variant being right at the speed cap in its stock build, and the MASC-equipped variants being faster-still), but also carries an all-energy variant and is not jump-capable (much like the Mongoose).

Being oddly-popular does not make the UrbanMech a "necessity" - otherwise, we'd already be flooded with Annihilators and Devastators and Maulers and various Unseen/Reseen.

With what we know now, the Firestarter seems to be the favored candidate...? :D

#3766 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 24 May 2013 - 06:54 PM

:D

carereful what you say about the Urbanmech........

#3767 Wieland

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 755 posts
  • LocationKitzingen, Bolan Province, Protectorate of Donegal, Lyran Commonwealth

Posted 25 May 2013 - 12:14 AM

View PostOdanan, on 24 May 2013 - 06:21 PM, said:

We already know that popularity doesnt play a role. Banshee and Zeus have more fans but they did choose the Victor.

My guess for the next four, what PGI will choose:

Light. Firestarter
Medium: Kintaro
Heavy: Grashopper
Assault: Banshee

what i would choose:

Light: Firestarter
Medium: Dervish
Heavy: Grashopper
Assault: Zeus

what i want:
Light: -
Medium: Griffin
Heavy: Archer
Assault: Zeus

#3768 HAV0C

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 381 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted 25 May 2013 - 01:29 AM

<S>

I expect the following 'mechs for the last round before the clans arrive.

Light: Firestarter (Alternate option: Panther)

Medium: Clint (Alternate option: Dervish)

Heavy: Guillotine (Alternate option: Grasshopper)

Assault: Banshee (Alternate option: Zeus)

Just my picks. We'll see what's to come I suppose.

<S>

-Colonel Andrew "Havoc" Davis
Death's Hand Brigade Mercenaries

#3769 Der BruzZzler von Wiesndoof

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationAm Grill

Posted 25 May 2013 - 03:14 AM

Light: Definitely the Firestarter! Everything else is inferior. Nothing comes close to its hardpoints, variants and equipment. Unfortunately a 35 ton mech, again!

Medium: A 55 ton mech! No matter what it is. Hmm.. i prefer the Kintaro. Could be interesting.

Heavy: I still like the Black Knight, but i don't think that we'll see it in the game, so i'll go with the Grasshopper! Dunno why, but i like it. Nice mech with nice equipment. Guillotine is similar, but it looks just stupid with its old TV on top of its head. I hate it. Maybe FD can redesign it with an modern LED Flat TV? :huh:

Assault: A fast iconic lyran mech, that weighs 95 tons with enough different variants!

There is huge lack of lyran Battlemechs. The next assault should be definitely a lyran mech (Banshee or Zeus). I still prefer the Banshee.

#3770 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 25 May 2013 - 03:38 AM

View PostThe Birdeater, on 25 May 2013 - 03:14 AM, said:

Light: Definitely the Firestarter! Everything else is inferior. Nothing comes close to its hardpoints, variants and equipment. Unfortunately a 35 ton mech, again!

Medium: A 55 ton mech! No matter what it is. Hmm.. i prefer the Kintaro. Could be interesting.

Heavy: I still like the Black Knight, but i don't think that we'll see it in the game, so i'll go with the Grasshopper! Dunno why, but i like it. Nice mech with nice equipment. Guillotine is similar, but it looks just stupid with its old TV on top of its head. I hate it. Maybe FD can redesign it with an modern LED Flat TV? :D

Assault: A fast iconic lyran mech, that weighs 95 tons with enough different variants!

There is huge lack of lyran Battlemechs. The next assault should be definitely a lyran mech (Banshee or Zeus). I still prefer the Banshee.

Hey, what I like the most in the Guillotine is the looks! :huh:

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

Sure Alex Iglesias could make that tube TV into something more military, like air inlets.

#3771 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 25 May 2013 - 04:13 AM

View PostOdanan, on 25 May 2013 - 03:38 AM, said:

Hey, what I like the most in the Guillotine is the looks! :huh:
Sure Alex Iglesias could make that tube TV into something more military, like air inlets.

Well, we know it's certainly possible to make it look less strange...

Posted Image

As far as the last quatret of designs go, I hope for either reseens or Star League designs. Vindicator would also be welcome, but...

Reseen quatret:

Valkyrie - Sure, Wasp and Stinger are iconic, but they are just 20 tons and well... not much in the weapons, either. Valkyrie would add a mech to our "beloved" neighbours and while the variants aren't all that interesting, it is still possible to make each a unique choice. 30 tons, JJs and missiles, something we don't have around here yet.

Shadow Hawk - 55 tons, medium mech speed (that is 86.4km/h for those who think 4/6 mediums have a future), plethora of variants, JJs, amazing looks, great balance of weapons. There's no reason not to like it.

Warhammer - No comment needed, I'm fairly certain of it.

Battlemaster - Another no-brainer. Decent loadout and speed, good alternative to clunky Stalker.

#3772 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 25 May 2013 - 04:52 AM

View PostAdridos, on 25 May 2013 - 04:13 AM, said:

Reseen quatret:

Valkyrie - Sure, Wasp and Stinger are iconic, but they are just 20 tons and well... not much in the weapons, either. Valkyrie would add a mech to our "beloved" neighbours and while the variants aren't all that interesting, it is still possible to make each a unique choice. 30 tons, JJs and missiles, something we don't have around here yet.

Shadow Hawk - 55 tons, medium mech speed (that is 86.4km/h for those who think 4/6 mediums have a future), plethora of variants, JJs, amazing looks, great balance of weapons. There's no reason not to like it.

Warhammer - No comment needed, I'm fairly certain of it.

Battlemaster - Another no-brainer. Decent loadout and speed, good alternative to clunky Stalker.

Great choices!

Tough the Valkyrie needs a serious hardpoint boost - wouldn't it be better to chose the Wasp?

#3773 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 25 May 2013 - 05:08 AM

View PostOdanan, on 25 May 2013 - 04:52 AM, said:

Tough the Valkyrie needs a serious hardpoint boost - wouldn't it be better to chose the Wasp?

I thought it would be simple to make the mech more interesting by Commando method (M:E hardpoints - 1:3, 2:2, 3:1).

As far as WAsp is concerned... if I really wanted a mech like that, I'd really rather pick a Panther...

I mean, it has really great variants, but what to do with them at 20 tons? It is that type of mech Spiders are meant to hunt, but it really isn't a mech you can place in a grinder that is MW:O mechlab and MM where you decide between it or any other mech, regardless of tech level or tonnage withh absolute no need for scouting. :huh:

#3774 The Government

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 102 posts
  • LocationReading, Pennsylvania

Posted 25 May 2013 - 05:55 AM

Every time I think about how there will NEVER be an Urbanmech in this game... it makes me smile.

But at the same time it makes me sad that I won't have a slow moving, easy to hit, simple to core piece of target practice to obliterate with one alpha strike.

The reason they haven't bothered with Urbanmechs is they are only good for fighting in dense Urban areas... Of which this game has none, and likely never will. Mind you I am talking about a city that fills the ENTIRE MAP.

#3775 Sennin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 459 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 25 May 2013 - 06:12 AM

*Snacks on popcorn from the cockpit of his Firestarter and thinks how highly amusing the next few replies will be*

"I wouldn't want to be you right now..."

*Taps the firing stud for his flamers*

#3776 Strum Wealh

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 25 May 2013 - 06:41 AM

View PostOdanan, on 25 May 2013 - 03:38 AM, said:

Hey, what I like the most in the Guillotine is the looks! :D

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

The Guillotine was clearly designed as an homage to the Martians from the 1953 version of The War of the Worlds. :huh:
Posted Image

Bottom cockpit window = red eye, right cockpit window = green eye, left cockpit window = blue eye...

The hero Guillotine could be named "Thunder Child" (which is also a pretty awesome song from the 1978 musical version and the 2012 re-recording, BTW)... :lol:

Edited by Strum Wealh, 25 May 2013 - 06:43 AM.

#3777 Butane9000

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,788 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 25 May 2013 - 08:35 AM

I updated my reserved post. A picture or pictures are worth thousands of words.

#3778 Phoenix Branson

• Legendary Founder
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 25 May 2013 - 08:59 AM

BattleMech 21: Firestarter
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Firestarter

Posted Image

Edited by Maverick01, 25 May 2013 - 11:16 AM.

#3779 Colddawg

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 317 posts
  • LocationYork, Pennsylvania

Posted 25 May 2013 - 09:02 AM

URBANMECH!

#3780 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 25 May 2013 - 09:27 AM

View PostButane9000, on 25 May 2013 - 08:35 AM, said:

I updated my reserved post. A picture or pictures are worth thousands of words.

hehehe! nice closing!

89 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 89 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Facebook