Ultimate Mech Discussion Thread

BattleMech Balance

20517 replies to this topic

#3861 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 30 May 2013 - 10:36 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 30 May 2013 - 10:29 PM, said:

But I'm just crazy like that

Nah, it's called the spirit of Succession Wars. Fighting junk with junk and loving it...

But actually interesting fighting can't have a place in a video game where people make sure that not even convergece is set realistically, god forbid they'd actually have to use tech that isn't top of the line, push one button and kill the other guy.

#3862 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 30 May 2013 - 10:46 PM

View PostAdridos, on 30 May 2013 - 10:36 PM, said:

Nah, it's called the spirit of Succession Wars. Fighting junk with junk and loving it...

But actually interesting fighting can't have a place in a video game where people make sure that not even convergece is set realistically, god forbid they'd actually have to use tech that isn't top of the line, push one button and kill the other guy.

yeah. Funny part was, back in Closed Beta, I actually kinda liked the bugs because they felt RIGHT for the Battletech game that you would have Mechs CTD (aka some failure taking it out of the fight before it starts) No HUD, no Minimap, and other stuff. Instead of getting pissed about it, I would just embrace it and try to fight through it.

Guess I'm never gonna be a Pro-Gamer!

#3863 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 31 May 2013 - 03:45 AM

View PostStrum Wealh, on 30 May 2013 - 09:54 AM, said:

Though, if one looks past the literal vampire references and instead goes for "genius goth", Abigail Sciuto from NCIS (portrayed by Pauley Perrette) does better fit the character concept of Yvonne. ;)

Hmmm.. I can live with that... :D

#3864 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,064 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 01 June 2013 - 08:21 AM

Does anyone have a link to the statement where the developers said they were sitting on stockpile of finished in game models or concept art for mechs not yet confirmed? When was this announcement made and did that number include the now confirmed Victor?

Edited by Spheroid, 01 June 2013 - 08:23 AM.

#3865 Strum Wealh

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 01 June 2013 - 09:53 AM

View PostSpheroid, on 01 June 2013 - 08:21 AM, said:

Does anyone have a link to the statement where the developers said they were sitting on stockpile of finished in game models or concept art for mechs not yet confirmed? When was this announcement made and did that number include the now confirmed Victor?

Well, NGNG podcast #43 had a statement from someone who spoke to Bryan Ekman at PAX indicating that they had the first 32 'Mechs planned out at that point.

IIRC, it was a later NGNG podcast where it was indicated by a direct statement that the next six were essentially ready to go; this was prior to the announcement of the Victor, which means that it may have been one of the six.

#3866 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 01 June 2013 - 12:58 PM

View PostStrum Wealh, on 01 June 2013 - 09:53 AM, said:

Well, NGNG podcast #43 had a statement from someone who spoke to Bryan Ekman at PAX indicating that they had the first 32 'Mechs planned out at that point.

IIRC, it was a later NGNG podcast where it was indicated by a direct statement that the next six were essentially ready to go; this was prior to the announcement of the Victor, which means that it may have been one of the six.

But I believe this "ready to go" refers only to concept arts. I don't think they are holding back entirely finished mechs (with 3D model, texturing, animation and coding).

And I hope there is at least one remaining wave of IS mechs before the Clans (which will take some months AFTER launch to be in the game).

Edited by Odanan, 01 June 2013 - 01:02 PM.

#3867 Strum Wealh

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 01 June 2013 - 01:17 PM

View PostOdanan, on 01 June 2013 - 12:58 PM, said:

But I believe this "ready to go" refers only to concept arts. I don't think they are holding back entirely finished mechs (with 3D model, texturing, animation and coding).

And I hope there is at least one remaining wave of IS mechs before the Clans (which will take some months AFTER launch to be in the game).

Indeed - they could/would have the concept art ready, but not necessarily the would-be in-game assets.

Though, with the Victor out and leaving 5 unannounced 'Mechs... and the Clans' military structure being based on a 5-unit system... could the next reveal be a Star of OmniMechs? :)

#3868 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 02:11 PM

View PostStrum Wealh, on 01 June 2013 - 01:17 PM, said:

Indeed - they could/would have the concept art ready, but not necessarily the would-be in-game assets.

Though, with the Victor out and leaving 5 unannounced 'Mechs... and the Clans' military structure being based on a 5-unit system... could the next reveal be a Star of OmniMechs? :)

I hope not. I am hoping that they are parralell developing the Omnimechs in secret, and TBH would prefer NOT to get revealed until the launch IN FORCE with the Devs and such using them against us.

I can't be the only one who wants to recreate the shock and awe of getting nailed by a Clan Unit with no warning, can I?

Just let PGI announce a huge Tournament in CW with something on the line to guarantee a lot of players, then have 5 man units of DEV in drops against our 8 mans with the new Omnis.

IMO, that would be the best reveal possible, followed by whatever patch and access they plan on for it the following Tuesday, "officially launching and revealing" the Clans.

#3869 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 01 June 2013 - 02:52 PM

Just 4 more IS mechs and let the Clans come.

PS: Banshee as assault already.

#3870 Strum Wealh

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 01 June 2013 - 03:06 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 01 June 2013 - 02:11 PM, said:

I hope not. I am hoping that they are parralell developing the Omnimechs in secret, and TBH would prefer NOT to get revealed until the launch IN FORCE with the Devs and such using them against us.

I can't be the only one who wants to recreate the shock and awe of getting nailed by a Clan Unit with no warning, can I?

Just let PGI announce a huge Tournament in CW with something on the line to guarantee a lot of players, then have 5 man units of DEV in drops against our 8 mans with the new Omnis.

IMO, that would be the best reveal possible, followed by whatever patch and access they plan on for it the following Tuesday, "officially launching and revealing" the Clans.

Oh, I'd love to see that too - with the minor modification that it should be company vs company (12 v 12) for us Spheroids (the playerbase at large) by then, and PGI/IGP could randomly drop into matches as binaries (sets of 10) in Clan 'Mechs for us to take down (or go down in flames trying). :P

Though, PGI does likely stand to gain quite a bit if they reveal sleek Clan 'Mechs, especially if they can do it at one of the larger conferences or conventions - E3 (among others) is right around the proverbial corner, yes? :)

#3871 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 03:11 PM

View PostStrum Wealh, on 01 June 2013 - 03:06 PM, said:

Oh, I'd love to see that too - with the minor modification that it should be company vs company (12 v 12) for us Spheroids (the playerbase at large) by then, and PGI/IGP could randomly drop into matches as binaries (sets of 10) in Clan 'Mechs for us to take down (or go down in flames trying). :P

Though, PGI does likely stand to gain quite a bit if they reveal sleek Clan 'Mechs, especially if they can do it at one of the larger conferences or conventions - E3 (among others) is right around the proverbial corner, yes? :)

be even better if the Stealth reveal the finished product in the manner stated at one of those shows. But PGI doesn't seem to understand the dramatic reveal.

#3872 Strum Wealh

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 01 June 2013 - 03:33 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 01 June 2013 - 03:11 PM, said:

be even better if the Stealth reveal the finished product in the manner stated at one of those shows. But PGI doesn't seem to understand the dramatic reveal.

That would be better.
And even better still: if the ultimate reveal was not of the Clan machines, but "MWO-ized" versions of the Unseen! :P :)

If that were to happen (small chance, but there is hope), that would be an event worthy of a 'Mechgasm... :rolleyes:

#3873 John MatriX82

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,398 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 02 June 2013 - 01:52 AM

View PostOdanan, on 01 June 2013 - 02:52 PM, said:

Just 4 more IS mechs and let the Clans come.

PS: Banshee as assault already.

Yep, I also hope that otherwise we'll be missing totally new mechs for months and months. 4 more IS mechs would cover September, October, November and December. After those we should be seeing clan mechs designs hopefully for the end of November/December and start putting our dirty hands on them for march/april of 2014 as they stated. This if things go as planned..

#3874 Phoenix Branson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 02 June 2013 - 07:40 AM

View PostOdanan, on 01 June 2013 - 12:58 PM, said:

I also hope for another wave of IS 'Mechs (go UrbanMech)!

Do you guys think they will do a Clan Founder's Program upon launch?
I think they will because of $$$$$.

Edited by Maverick01, 02 June 2013 - 07:48 AM.

#3875 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 02 June 2013 - 08:28 AM

View PostMaverick01, on 02 June 2013 - 07:40 AM, said:

I hope they do. I would certainly buy it for founders Stormcrow and Timber Wolf.

But about the Clans, they need to have a lot of attention when putting Clan mechs vs IS mechs - they need to give IS a serious advantage of weight and/or number of combatants. (because there is no point is "balancing" the Clan weapons/equipment)

#3876 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 02 June 2013 - 08:51 AM

Been a while since I have come to the forums. All I want to say is.....

GO ViCTOR!!!

#3877 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 10:03 AM

View PostMaverick01, on 02 June 2013 - 07:40 AM, said:

I would be cool with it if they did. I doubt I would personally buy it, because I am an unrepentant Spheroid Merc, thru and thru, but early access to the "First 4" Clan MEchs, and such would be cool. By the same token, I wonder if I should, simply because I would be one of the handful of players on this dang game to actually follow Zellbrigen.

at the least, I hope they do enforce the Clan Force modifiers with 5 and 10 man units vs IS 8-12 man.

#3878 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 02 June 2013 - 10:07 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 02 June 2013 - 10:03 AM, said:

By the same token, I wonder if I should, simply because I would be one of the handful of players on this dang game to actually follow Zellbrigen.

So you're a dirty IS merc... but if you were a Clanner you'd follow Zell? :P

#3879 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 10:18 AM

View PostAdridos, on 02 June 2013 - 10:07 AM, said:

So you're a dirty IS merc... but if you were a Clanner you'd follow Zell? :P

I follow the fluff. What I'm NOT is a dirty twitch shooter trying to dumb this down to CoD in mechs and and ignoring things like Zell as "Fluff", which I fear most will. A Merc is Merc. We honor the contract. A Capellan is malking terrorist. A Clanner fights by certain rules. Whichever role I choose to portray, I portray CORRECTLY.

And if I were Dirty, I'd be a Kali worshipping Cappie.

#3880 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 02 June 2013 - 10:28 AM

The only real honor is doing your job well done.

18 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 18 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Facebook