Ultimate Mech Discussion Thread

BattleMech Balance

20517 replies to this topic

#3881 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 02 June 2013 - 10:35 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 02 June 2013 - 10:18 AM, said:

A Capellan is malking terrorist. .... Whichever role I choose to portray, I portray CORRECTLY.

Ahem... :P

Anyway, back to the topic of the next mech announcement, what is your guess on the ETA?

#3882 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 02 June 2013 - 10:39 AM

View PostAdridos, on 02 June 2013 - 10:35 AM, said:

Ahem... ^_^

Anyway, back to the topic of the next mech announcement, what is your guess on the ETA?

lol..... :P

anyhow, I figure after we get the next non Hero release, we will get an announcement, I am curious about how they plan to "change" their approach.

#3883 Empyrus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 210 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:14 AM

I wonder if we get Vindicator. Cool looking, balanced workhorse mech. Would like it.

#3884 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:18 AM

View PostAdridos, on 02 June 2013 - 10:35 AM, said:

No idea. I hope they keep announcing (at least) 1 mech per month.

#3885 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:23 AM

View PostEmpyrus, on 02 June 2013 - 11:14 AM, said:

I wonder if we get Vindicator. Cool looking, balanced workhorse mech. Would like it.

Wouldn't mind.

It's 3rd on my Medium Mech list. (out of available ones). But behind the Vulcan and Dervish. (and just ahead of the Assassin and Crab)

#3886 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 02 June 2013 - 11:49 AM

View PostEmpyrus, on 02 June 2013 - 11:14 AM, said:

Two slow for my taste...

View PostBishop Steiner, on 02 June 2013 - 11:23 AM, said:

Wouldn't mind.

It's 3rd on my Medium Mech list. (out of available ones). But behind the Vulcan and Dervish. (and just ahead of the Assassin and Crab)

Vulcan or Dervish would be better, IMHO. Crab = Crap.

#3887 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 02 June 2013 - 12:22 PM

View PostOdanan, on 02 June 2013 - 11:49 AM, said:

Two slow for my taste...

We've had this discussion already, the 1AA solves the problem and does basically the smae what -D does for Centurions... overall raising of speed cap. That, coupled with the lower tonnage should make it a really decently fast mech.

Besides, we Cappies still need a medium to fill out our full roster of mechs.

#3888 Butane9000

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,788 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 02 June 2013 - 12:36 PM

If they REALLY want to make a lot of money on the clan founders they'll have to do it this way.

$20-30
1 Month Premium time
$25 worth of MC (6,250)
Your choice of these mechs (1 only)
Kit Fox (light)
Ice Ferret (medium)
Hellbringer (Heavy)
Warhawk (Assault)

$40-60
2 Months Premium time
$50 worth of MC (12,500)
Your choice of these mechs (2 only)
Adder (light)
Ryoken (medium)
Mad Dog (Heavy)
Executioner (Assault)

$90-110
3 Months premium time
$100 worth of MC (25,000)
Your choice of any 4 of the clan omnimechs. 1 of each weight class

When thinking this up I tried to use common sense economics. The Timberwolf and Direwolf are some of the most beloved chassis created. So giving them in a package would be a huge revenue waste in the long term. As many would buy the founders outright and get their favorites. Another problem is of the Clan omnimechs all of the 4 heavies (Mad Dog, Hellbringer, Summoner and Timberwolf) are loved by nearly all who've played them. Which makes choosing a heavy to put in the package difficult.

It's also a good way for them to put less played chassis. Especially for the final highest cost package.

But we have to remember that when the clans come out initially they won't necessarily be playable. Though we still might have their technology.

#3889 Khanahar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 560 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 12:50 PM

View PostButane9000, on 02 June 2013 - 12:36 PM, said:

If they REALLY want to make a lot of money on the clan founders they'll have to do it this way.
When thinking this up I tried to use common sense economics. The Timberwolf and Direwolf are some of the most beloved chassis created. So giving them in a package would be a huge revenue waste in the long term. As many would buy the founders outright and get their favorites. Another problem is of the Clan omnimechs all of the 4 heavies (Mad Dog, Hellbringer, Summoner and Timberwolf) are loved by nearly all who've played them. Which makes choosing a heavy to put in the package difficult.

It's also a good way for them to put less played chassis. Especially for the final highest cost package.

Not quite following your economics... Isn't the popularity of the Mad Cat and Daishi exactly why you'd want to offer them in Founders' packs?

Dead on about the problem of weight distribution popularity, though. All four initial heavies are so beloved... (Though, if they keep armor locked like some people want, the Loki won't be feeling so hot) Several of the assaults have pretty iconic status too, particularly among the old guard, but the Daishi is still the obvious pick for #1, and the Masakari for #2. I just hope they get the Hunch IIC in there quickly... hated those things so much in MechCommander.

Edit:

View PostBishop Steiner, on 30 May 2013 - 10:46 PM, said:

yeah. Funny part was, back in Closed Beta, I actually kinda liked the bugs because they felt RIGHT for the Battletech game that you would have Mechs CTD (aka some failure taking it out of the fight before it starts) No HUD, no Minimap, and other stuff. Instead of getting pissed about it, I would just embrace it and try to fight through it.

I RPed a character with narcolepsy.

Edited by Khanahar, 02 June 2013 - 12:51 PM.

#3890 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 02 June 2013 - 12:50 PM

$20-30
1 Month Premium time
$25 worth of MC (6,250)
Your choice of these mechs (1 only)
Kit Fox (light)
Ice Ferret (medium)
Hellbringer (Heavy)
Warhawk (Assault)

$40-60
2 Months Premium time
$50 worth of MC (12,500)
Your choice of these mechs (2 only)
Adder (light)
Ryoken (medium)
Mad Dog (Heavy)
Executioner (Assault)

$90-110
3 Months premium time
$100 worth of MC (25,000)
Your choice of any 4 of the clan omnimechs. 1 of each weight class

I agree the most popular, maxed mechs (Timber Wolf and Direwolf) shouldn't be in the Clan Founders.

But we have to remember that when the clans come out initially they won't necessarily be playable. Though we still might have their technology.

?????? Do you think you will be able to use Clan tech in IS mechs?? God, no. No, no, no. Oh God.

#3891 John MatriX82

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,398 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 02 June 2013 - 01:49 PM

View PostMaverick01, on 02 June 2013 - 07:40 AM, said:

Do you guys think they will do a Clan Founder's Program upon launch?
I think they will because of $$$$$.

I hope they do this as well, they'd cash up a lot of money :P

View PostOdanan, on 02 June 2013 - 08:28 AM, said:

But about the Clans, they need to have a lot of attention when putting Clan mechs vs IS mechs - they need to give IS a serious advantage of weight and/or number of combatants. (because there is no point is "balancing" the Clan weapons/equipment)

Hmm I think that unless they completely divide IS from Clan (without allowing them to play together) or.. well, I think the only way is to allow clan tech and retrofit IS mechs with that or I don't see much of a point to balance the weapons, in particular.

#3892 SgtMagor

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 01:58 PM

hope there is plans for a Clan Founders pack...need my Kodiak! Posted Image

#3893 shotokan5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 550 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Locationvirginia

Posted 02 June 2013 - 02:13 PM

If they have the rights to it who knows but their are a lot of Mechs that PGI does not have he rights to. I wish that someday they will give us a list of the Mechs that are under other copyrights which they can't use. I do know that they are trying to get the rights to some but which I do not know Sgt.

#3894 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 02:44 PM

View PostOdanan, on 02 June 2013 - 11:49 AM, said:

Two slow for my taste...

Vulcan or Dervish would be better, IMHO. Crab = Crap.

Crab is mostly for the looks, and even then it stays pretty far down my list. Vindicator I think is pretty decent, though the speed is the biggest handicap for most variants. Which is why I think the Dervish and then the Vulcan should be the Mediums chosen.

#3895 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 02:47 PM

View PostAdridos, on 02 June 2013 - 12:22 PM, said:

We've had this discussion already, the 1AA solves the problem and does basically the smae what -D does for Centurions... overall raising of speed cap. That, coupled with the lower tonnage should make it a really decently fast mech.

Besides, we Cappies still need a medium to fill out our full roster of mechs.

i seriously can' put giving the Crappies a full stable of mechs as a good reason to put a mediocre mech (shocker, it IS a Crappie design) over Mechs that could be useful, like the Dervish and Vulcan.

#3896 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 02:53 PM

View Postshotokan5, on 02 June 2013 - 02:13 PM, said:

If they have the rights to it who knows but their are a lot of Mechs that PGI does not have he rights to. I wish that someday they will give us a list of the Mechs that are under other copyrights which they can't use. I do know that they are trying to get the rights to some but which I do not know Sgt.

They can use essentially anything that was designed in house for Battletech. Hence the whole Unseen/Reseen fiasco. THe rest are open.

#3897 BarHaid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,070 posts
  • LocationMid-Cascadia

Posted 02 June 2013 - 03:27 PM

View PostKhanahar, on 02 June 2013 - 12:50 PM, said:

I RPed a character with narcolepsy.

HA! :P

#3898 Butane9000

• Elite Founder
  • 2,788 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 02 June 2013 - 04:18 PM

View PostOdanan, on 02 June 2013 - 12:50 PM, said:

I agree the most popular, maxed mechs (Timber Wolf and Direwolf) shouldn't be in the Clan Founders.

?????? Do you think you will be able to use Clan tech in IS mechs?? God, no. No, no, no. Oh God.

I actually do think that. I remember them mentioning the Clans initially wouldn't be playable but that they weren't doing tech restrictions. Now we might be restricted right at the start but as time goes on I don't see why not. Probably we'll be able to buy clan weapons and parts as they are 'salvaged" from the field of battle in the timeline.

#3899 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 04:36 PM

View PostButane9000, on 02 June 2013 - 04:18 PM, said:

I actually do think that. I remember them mentioning the Clans initially wouldn't be playable but that they weren't doing tech restrictions. Now we might be restricted right at the start but as time goes on I don't see why not. Probably we'll be able to buy clan weapons and parts as they are 'salvaged" from the field of battle in the timeline.

and so goes the twitch gamer power creep madness, where the new meta will be Clan tech or bust.

Be the absolute WORST idea they could have. That would kill the game faster than almost any other mistake they have made .

#3900 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 02 June 2013 - 06:20 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 02 June 2013 - 04:36 PM, said:

and so goes the twitch gamer power creep madness, where the new meta will be Clan tech or bust.

Be the absolute WORST idea they could have. That would kill the game faster than almost any other mistake they have made .

This. ^

(that's why the "God, no. No, no, no. Oh God.")

63 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 63 guests, 0 anonymous users