That's some damn fine artwork Bishop.

#4462 Anjian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:23 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 22 July 2013 - 07:24 PM, said:

except that Highlander's haven't been common since about 2800. And the Atlas is supposed to be rather rare. (actually, Assault mechs as a class only make up approximately 10% of the arsenal of the Succession Lords. Stalkers and Zeus being among the only "Common" designs)

Neither the Locust, Jenner, Stalker, Catapult, Cicada nor Flea are "humanoid".

I mentioned clearly "or bipedal".

#4463 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:28 AM

View PostStrum Wealh, on 23 July 2013 - 04:42 AM, said:

There are also the game mechanics to consider.

Currently, one must fully unlock the Basic efficiencies on at least three variants in order to unlock the Elite efficiencies for the chassis. As such, and 'Mech that does not have at least three variants will not work correctly under the XP system.

The variants are selected from among those that already exist within the BattleTech universe, and PGI has thus far shown no intent in developing variants of their own outside of the Hero 'Mech program and certain special-purpose occasions (e.g. the "Sarah's 'Mech") - which have thus far been available only for MC/real-cash.

It seems unlikely that PGI would implement a 'Mech with only two "currently" extant in-universe variants (or only one such variant), and use cash-only 'Mechs (e.g. Hero 'Mechs) to make up the difference, regardless of its seeming popularity (see: Mauler, Devastator). They have already seen the negative backlash from doing so during the period between the removal of the CN9-AH (in order to promote the Yen Lo Wang) and the introduction of the CN9-D - a period of several days of bitter complaints supported by the fact that one could not make use of the XP system and the efficiencies without paying real cash for a third variant in the form of the Yen Lo Wang.

Additionally, the lack of Engines with ratings below 100 precludes the inclusion of 'Mechs like the UrbanMech (which requires a 60-rated Engine) and its Clan-built counterpart (which requires a 90-rated Engine), regardless of their seeming popularity (and the fact that the latter only has exactly one variant available until the middle of the WOB Jihad).

As Clan mechs don't really have variants, but Alt Configs, the 3 variant system will constitute a problem. Given that Clan mechs cost much much more, for example, 24 million CBills for the Mad Cat, I would think it would make better sense to charge for one expensive mech, instead of three, waive the 3 mech requirement for such mechs.

But then again, PGI is also known to bend the canon a little, and if it will require apocryphal variants to fill the missing third mech, they might just do it, while greatly reducing the Cbill cost from canon. Note the Cataphract 3D would cost significantly more in canon than the price quoted in MWO.

Sooner or later, I suspect PGI would add more variants of existing mechs in the game, I think that is their long term intention, but that priority is lower, and given their limited manpower and monetary resources, it seems everything being done is based on a set of priorities.

Given that mechs are the thing that brings the most real money to the game, "popular" mechs is a must for the revenue bottomline. That is probably why even eventually, the "Macross Unseen", the most possible verboten of the classic battlemechs, can never be ruled out in the long term, even though in the short term, we are unlikely to see them. This is just business.

Mechs are revenue. The resources for mech models, are going to be finite.

The first stage we have seen is to introduce models that are excellent representatives of each weight class. That is what all the 2012 mechs appear to be.

From the time the game went public beta to the point before its official 1.0 release, the mechs being released seem intended to fill niches not covered by the 2012 mechs. This includes capability (jump jets), to filling in weight gaps (90 tons for the Highlander, 45 tons for the Blackjack, 55 tons for the Shadowhawk, 75 tons for the Orion).

But as we go further, the niches are also finite, and they are going to be filled. The next wave of mechs are not going to be introducing new capability over the first and second wave of mechs, and nor will they be niche fillers. Rather, the third wave will have to be lore fillers, and because they are popular and iconic to the Battletech universe. It is debatable if the Zeus will offer anything much over the Awesome and Orion, but we want it. The same rationale goes with the Griffin and the Wolverine over the Shadowhawk. It is debatable if the Panther or the Wolfhound offers anything over the current light mechs, but people want them, right? For the rest of the game's life, mechs that will be introduced are Lore Fillers.

So basically, the three waves of mechs are the Base Fillers, the Niche Fillers and finally the Lore Fillers.

Over the life of any game, there is the phenomenon of 'power creep'. New content being introduced in the game are gradually more powerful than previous content, and the lore of anything from Battletech to Magic The Gather reflects this. Managing power creep is also going to be important for the long run of the game, as power creep can result in waking up one morning to find the game structurally imbalanced, and that can result in the game being unapproachable by newcomers, eventually leading for the game to die out.

That is why selling on lore and popularity becomes doubly important. Instead of selling gradually increasingly powerful mechs like what happens in other games, we can maintain the power level flat, but people will buy the new mechs because of their "lore". For example, I won't expect a Zeus to be more powerful than current assaults, but because of its popularity in role, people will buy it. But of course, power creep will be there eventually, but it simply must be hold off as much and as long as you can can.

We might see mechs being chosen because they are relatively quick and easy for newcomers to master and bring out the best.

There will also be some issues that will overlap. For example, the Banshee seems to be on popular request. It fits many of the qualifications. It might be an important niche filler because of its 95 tons. But then again, 95 tons of brute that moves along at 64kph might just devour any other assault in the game, and that is quite unquestionably, power creep.

Edited by Anjian, 23 July 2013 - 09:12 AM.

#4464 Phoenix Branson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:33 AM

Sarah's Jenner - money well spent. ;)

Posted Image

Edited by Maverick01, 23 July 2013 - 09:35 AM.

#4465 Rashkae

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 192 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:01 AM

View PostMaverick01, on 22 July 2013 - 07:53 PM, said:

Every now and then, I look back at TRO 3039 and try to think what 'Mechs PGI will add next...
http://www.sarna.net...l_Readout:_3039

I cant get around the notion of them NOT adding the UrbanMech. It's iconic, has a massive following, and fills a niche role. Plus, PGI would make a small fortune having a hero variant. So this is my pick for the next light.

I also cant get around the notion for them NOT filling the 95 tonnage gap, which leaves the Banshee by default.

So the real question is what is the next medium. There are alot of contenders, but I would have to say Sentinel is my choice. This mech is non-humanoid, has plenty of variants and is fast. But my main reason is this gives a faction specific 'Mech to both House Steiner and House Kurita, which is currently lacking for Community Warfare. Basically, you kill two birds with one stone...

House Steiner: Commando, Spider, Sentinel, Awesome, Stalker, Highlander, Atlas
House Kurita: Spider, Jenner, Sentinel, Dragon, Catapult, Victor, Atlas

Imagine a Hero Urbanmech with a Tuxedo paint job.... PGI would sell so many they'll be funded for the next 5 years.

#4466 Colddawg

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 317 posts
  • LocationYork, Pennsylvania

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:07 AM

View PostMaverick01, on 23 July 2013 - 09:33 AM, said:

Posted Image

Faith in humanity restored. Every time I refreshed the page a new Sarah's Mech was purchased.
#730 here

#4467 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:20 AM

820 sold last time I checked...in under an hour and a half.

10 bucks well spent. Keep it up Mechwarriors... that'll show em that we are more than a bunch of bickering QQers! Nice work people, nice work!

#4468 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:22 AM

View PostMaverick01, on 23 July 2013 - 09:33 AM, said:

Posted Image

Get 'em good!

#4469 CDLord HHGD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:39 AM

Confirmed, bought my Sarah's Jenner.

#4470 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 11:41 AM

1329 Jenner-D[SARAH]'s sold as of 10 seconds ago.

AWESOME! Get 'em good, indeed!

#4471 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 12:22 PM

1549 Sold ~2:23 MST

Edited by cdlord, 23 July 2013 - 12:23 PM.

#4472 Benjamin Davion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 367 posts
  • LocationIn my Spider 5D, killing all your Dire Wolves.

Posted 23 July 2013 - 06:24 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 23 July 2013 - 07:41 AM, said:

LIGHTS:
-MONGOOSE
Posted Image

-HUSSAR
Posted Image

-URBANMECH
Posted Image

-FIRESTARTER
Posted Image

-PANTHER
Posted Image

-WOLFHOUND
Posted Image

MEDIUMS:
-ASSASSIN
Posted Image

-VULCAN
Posted Image
-CRAB
Posted Image

-DERVISH
Posted Image

-GRIFFIN
Posted Image

-WOLVERINE
Posted Image

HEAVIES:
-OSTSOL
Posted Image

-OSTROC
Posted Image

-RIFLEMAN
Posted Image

-ARCHER
Posted Image

-WARHAMMER (It COULD happen. With enough change to design)
Posted Image

-MARAUDER
Posted Image
Posted Image

ASSAULTS:
-ZEUS
Posted Image

-CYCLOPS
Posted Image

-MAULER
Posted Image

-BANSHEE
Posted Image

-ANNIHILATOR (updated version in the works)
Posted Image

-DEVASTATOR
Posted Image

-IMP-3E
Posted Image

KING CRAB
Posted Image

Are all viable candidates for the game, some due to their hardpoint versatility and optimization, others dues to their iconic nature. And it really doesn't matter if they "bring anything new to the table" as long as it meets one or both of those criteria. Do the Griffin or Wolverine really offer anything the ShadowHawk doesn't? Not really, but people want them.

The Panther, the Dervish, the Griffin, and the Banshee are high on my list.

Well over 2800 Sarah Jenners sold when I bought mine at 2220 EST.

#4473 jTSnake4

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:02 PM

I would really personally like to see the Timberwolf since it was in the original 3 mech warrior installments. That is a mech I'd want to throw money down for.

#4474 Xie Belvoule

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • LocationNew Avalon

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:07 PM

So....wheres the Orion? Isn't that the next mech or is it the Flea.

#4475 Jenkss

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 175 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:31 PM

Wow Bishop... just wow man. Those are awesome.

I like them all, but those lights and mediums are amazing. Hope to see every single one of those in game at some point.

Really really good. I was going to mention the ones I liked more than other but I'd end up mentioning most anyway (except the Urbie.. I'm sorry it just doesn't do it for me).

On to mechs I'd like to see.
Light: I'd be really happy with any of the following
Firestarter
Panther
Hussar
Wolfhound
Mongoose

Medium:
Griffin
Assassin
Hatchetman - I would love to see this one in over the Axeman, even without the melee weapons.
Dervish

#4476 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:32 PM

BTW, over 3000 donations made since 10 AM PST this morning. 8.5 hrs. Jolly good work folks! Let's keep it up and see if we can crack 50K before the day is one!

#4477 Angel of Annihilation

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,876 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:45 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 23 July 2013 - 07:41 AM, said:

LIGHTS:
-MONGOOSE
Posted Image

-HUSSAR
Posted Image

-URBANMECH
Posted Image

-FIRESTARTER
Posted Image

-PANTHER
Posted Image

-WOLFHOUND
Posted Image

MEDIUMS:
-ASSASSIN
Posted Image

-VULCAN
Posted Image
-CRAB
Posted Image

-DERVISH
Posted Image

-GRIFFIN
Posted Image

-WOLVERINE
Posted Image

HEAVIES:
-OSTSOL
Posted Image

-OSTROC
Posted Image

-RIFLEMAN
Posted Image

-ARCHER
Posted Image

-WARHAMMER (It COULD happen. With enough change to design)
Posted Image

-MARAUDER
Posted Image
Posted Image

ASSAULTS:
-ZEUS
Posted Image

-CYCLOPS
Posted Image

-MAULER
Posted Image

-BANSHEE
Posted Image

-ANNIHILATOR (updated version in the works)
Posted Image

-DEVASTATOR
Posted Image

-IMP-3E
Posted Image

KING CRAB
Posted Image

Are all viable candidates for the game, some due to their hardpoint versatility and optimization, others dues to their iconic nature. And it really doesn't matter if they "bring anything new to the table" as long as it meets one or both of those criteria. Do the Griffin or Wolverine really offer anything the ShadowHawk doesn't? Not really, but people want them.

Like them all but you forgot my Exterminator.

#4478 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:05 PM

bAH. yOU HAVE A vICTOR NOW. iT'S BETTER.

#4479 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 11:53 PM

Project Phoenix might be the last set of IS mechs we might see for a while, and February or March we might see the first Clan mechs. August to September of 3049 is when periphery action involving Clan mechs begins, but the serious invasion begins in March 3050. So if PGI wants to follow that schedule, March 2014 will be the first Clan mech to be introduced, and February we might see one other last IS mech right after Project Phoenix. Since PGI has to work well ahead in preparation for the coming months, they should already begin their work on Clan mechs now, and have pretty much decided the remaining IS mechs to be introduced from August 2013 to February 2014.

Edited by Anjian, 23 July 2013 - 11:57 PM.

#4480 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 04:18 AM

View PostjTSnake4, on 23 July 2013 - 07:02 PM, said:

I would really personally like to see the Timberwolf since it was in the original 3 mech warrior installments. That is a mech I'd want to throw money down for.

The Timberwolf aka Mad Cat is a CLAN mech and will be introduced during the clan invasion. Jeez people, read a timeline....
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Timeline

85 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 85 guests, 0 anonymous users