20517 replies to this topic

#4921 Jack Gallows

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 01:42 PM

View PostOdanan, on 28 August 2013 - 01:29 PM, said:

Very, very good art for the Wolvie and the Griffin! Great job, Iglesias!
And nice move with the Saber Package, PGI.

If it wasn't for the unfortunate August 20th patch (and the following PR), I would upgrade my Overlord, instead of refund it.

It's rather obvious that the staggered release of the Phoenix variants (or any Hero 'mech) and the stock variants is to generate money. But at least with the refund it's not like you don't get the chance at the regulars anyway...AND you save $110.

Edited by Jack Gallows, 28 August 2013 - 01:43 PM.

#4922 CDLord HHGD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 28 August 2013 - 01:44 PM

View PostOdanan, on 28 August 2013 - 01:29 PM, said:

Very, very good art for the Wolvie and the Griffin! Great job, Iglesias!
And nice move with the Saber Package, PGI.

If it wasn't for the unfortunate August 20th patch (and the following PR), I would upgrade my Overlord, instead of refund it.

Sorry you are losing faith Odanan....

#4923 Colddawg

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 317 posts
  • LocationYork, Pennsylvania

Posted 28 August 2013 - 02:07 PM

loving the look of all the Phoenix 'Mechs. Can't wait to see how they change any of the other un/reseen.

#4924 Jack Gallows

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 02:10 PM

This picture sums up how badass the Wolverine is. (Yes, I know the animal pictured is a Honey Badger..but that's my name for my Wolverine :))

Posted Image

Edited by Jack Gallows, 28 August 2013 - 02:12 PM.

#4925 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:33 PM

View PostJack Gallows, on 28 August 2013 - 01:04 PM, said:

I just really don't ever expect ANY of the true unseen, unfortunately =\

well, duh, bro.

Kinda some legal issues there. And tbh, they would look ridiculous next to the MWO units, anyhow. (Not to mention the bloody Unseen Marauder can't even WALK)

#4926 Anjian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 07:02 PM

I suspect PGI lost revenue because of the failure of the Kintaro, due to the torso issue. That cost them their hero and regular month of mech revenue for the month, probably why they have to put up another mech sale, with the Saber package. Its like back in June, people were disappointed the Quickdraw, partly because of its oversized scale, and mostly because people were expecting the Orion. The Quickdraw wasn't a bad mech, its a good mech, but it isn't a great mech, and it wasn't enough to overcome the disappointment of not getting the Orion. So June sales fell off, and PGI needed the Phoenix package to meet their June revenue targets.

So September, PGI cannot afford to miss September. They better put out a mech people will actually buy, even with Project Phoenix and Saber. That better be the Orion, or a really strong iconic mech, like the Zeus. And whatever they put out, they should not make the same mistake as they did with the Kintaro.

To be honest, I bought the Overlord package, and the Saber package now on top of it. This is an expensive risk, because I am tied to those packages, and if PGI messes up with their torsos and size scales and leaves me with a vulnerable mech, it would be too late.

Hence why it is important for PGI to revisit older mechs one by one, and redress their balancing issues, aka Awesome. Fixing and rebalancing mechs help restore faith for the community with their mech purchases. They need to realize each mech, are now true products, since they involve cash now, and are duty bound as any business establishment, that these products must meet quality standards. Having the faith that PGI can redress any serious mech faults can go a long way in securing faith for these prepaid, early announcement products.

I am also aware of how PGI scales mech based on a certain density meter. If a mech is thin, it will end up tall, like the Trebuchet. If a mech is stocky, it ends up short like the Hunchback. There is only so many ways you have to distribute mass, upwards, downwards, forwards and backwards, thicker, wider, taller. A 55 ton mech, isn't expected to be small, and being humanoid, I expect something along the Kintaro's size. We probably won't see smaller sized mediums, unless they are in the 40 to 45 ton range, like the Vindicator, or anything like that. I will have to check with Sarna. After the Saber package, the next medium mech (sometime next year) will have to be a 40 to 45 tonner.

Edited by Anjian, 28 August 2013 - 07:06 PM.

#4927 Phoenix Branson

• Legendary Founder
  • 1,173 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 28 August 2013 - 07:40 PM

Let's take a look...

Lights(6)
Flea
Locust
Commando
Spider
Jenner
Raven

Mediums(9)
Cicada
Blackjack
Hunchback
Trebuchet
Centurion
Kintaro
Shadow Hawk
Wolverine
Griffin

Heavies(7)
Dragon
Quickdraw
Catapult
Thunder Bolt
Jagermech
Cataphract
Orion

Assaults(6)
Awesome
Victor
Stalker
Battlemaster
Highlander
Atlas

The medium roster is completely filled at 9 'Mechs. With that said, we should still expect another 2 Lights, 1 Heavy and 1 Assault. That will give us a total of 32 Inner Sphere BattleMechs. Below are my remaining picks...

Lights: Firestarter, UrbanMech
Heavy: Lancelot
Assault: Banshee

Thoughts?

Edited by Maverick01, 28 August 2013 - 07:48 PM.

#4928 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,064 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:58 PM

View PostMaverick01, on 28 August 2013 - 07:40 PM, said:

Lights: Firestarter, UrbanMech Javelin
Assault: Banshee Cyclops

Edited by Spheroid, 28 August 2013 - 09:59 PM.

#4929 Strum Wealh

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:58 PM

View PostJack Gallows, on 28 August 2013 - 01:04 PM, said:

I just really don't ever expect ANY of the true unseen, unfortunately =\

View PostSteinar Bergstol, on 28 August 2013 - 01:28 PM, said:

Yeah, I'm not really holding my breath for the Macross Unseen, any of them. I want them. I will be over the moon if we get them, but I fear PGI don't want to take the chance of Harmony Gold being their lawsuit happy selves, because lawsuits are expensive even if you feel you have a good shot at winning.

The Dougram and Crusher Joe unseen are not affected by that problem, so we're getting them. Well, most of them. Still missing the Scorpion and my "Tank-On-Stilts" Goliath, but quads are probably even less likely than Macross mechs.

Well, we can still hope that Hasbro tears HG a new one over the Jetfire issue (see here, here, and here)... ;)

#4930 Steinar Bergstol

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,622 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 28 August 2013 - 10:43 PM

View PostStrum Wealh, on 28 August 2013 - 09:58 PM, said:

Well, we can still hope that Hasbro tears HG a new one over the Jetfire issue (see here, here, and here)... ;)

Oh, really?  Very interesting.  I suspect HG may have overreached themselves here, because if there's one thing that's true it's that HG may have the deep pockets to bully around small companies like FASA or PGI, but they're smallfry compared to Hasbro.  And I eriously doubt a company like Hasbro is just gonna roll over and comply with wild demands from Harmony Gold considering they probably have an army of lawyers on retainer employed specifically to deal with stuff like this.

Edited by Steinar Bergstol, 28 August 2013 - 10:44 PM.

#4931 John MatriX82

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,398 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 29 August 2013 - 01:31 AM

>>>>>Mediums(9)<<<<<
Cicada
Blackjack
Hunchback
Trebuchet
Centurion
Kintaro
Shadow Hawk
Wolverine
Griffin

Thoughts?

Thoughts? NINE mediums. Means we'll have at least 9 assaults, 9 lights, 9 heavies. And since 9 isn't a nice number my guess is that before the Clans we'll have 10 IS mechs for each class, and if they'll shift the timeline in future nothing holds them off for throwing in more and more.

If they'll stick to a monthly release, we'll be covered by a c4apload of new mechs up to the end of 2014. BUT since they vented a dual mech release schedule (we'll have to know when it will be starting, as it is now we know the mechs coming until MARCH) and if they'll truly fill up to 9 mechs, we are short of 3 lights, 2 heavies and 3 assaults, with 4 more if the 10 mechs per class assumption is correct.

So we're covered enough up to june/august of the next year when they'll certainly be launching Clan invasion packages, plus probably a slowdown of IS mech releases after that package will go live.

#4932 Wieland

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 755 posts
  • LocationKitzingen, Bolan Province, Protectorate of Donegal, Lyran Commonwealth

Posted 29 August 2013 - 02:14 AM

Lights: Firestarter, UrbanMech
Assault: Banshee

Thoughts?

Lights: Firestarter, Urbanmech, Javelin/Panther
Heavy: Grasshopper, Lancelot (to bad the best heavys are macross unseen)
Assault: Zeus, Cyclops, Banshee

#4933 SgtMagor

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 02:26 AM

I want my Banshee ;)

#4934 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 04:53 AM

View PostStrum Wealh, on 28 August 2013 - 09:58 PM, said:

Well, we can still hope that Hasbro tears HG a new one over the Jetfire issue (see here, here, and here)... :)

And here. ;)

Posted Image

#4935 Strum Wealh

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 29 August 2013 - 06:11 AM

View PostJohn MatriX82, on 29 August 2013 - 01:31 AM, said:

Thoughts? NINE mediums. Means we'll have at least 9 assaults, 9 lights, 9 heavies. And since 9 isn't a nice number my guess is that before the Clans we'll have 10 IS mechs for each class, and if they'll shift the timeline in future nothing holds them off for throwing in more and more.

If they'll stick to a monthly release, we'll be covered by a c4apload of new mechs up to the end of 2014. BUT since they vented a dual mech release schedule (we'll have to know when it will be starting, as it is now we know the mechs coming until MARCH) and if they'll truly fill up to 9 mechs, we are short of 3 lights, 2 heavies and 3 assaults, with 4 more if the 10 mechs per class assumption is correct.

So we're covered enough up to june/august of the next year when they'll certainly be launching Clan invasion packages, plus probably a slowdown of IS mech releases after that package will go live.

There is also no guarantee that they would be going for the same number of 'Mechs in each weight class in the first place.

Note that if PGI were to time-skip to, say 3150 and subsequently implement every 'Mech that ever existed in any and all BT-related media up to that point, there would be something like ~124 Light 'Mech chassis, ~149 Medium 'Mech chassis, ~137 Heavy 'Mech chassis, and ~112 Assault 'Mech chassis (and ~4 Superheavy 'Mech chassis & ~10 Ultralight 'Mech chassis, for the sake of completeness :)).
In terms of a L:M:H:A ratio, we'd be looking at 1.11:1.33:1.22:1.00.

Then, take into account what we seem to know of PGI's selection criteria: exists and has three named/numbered variants extant in the IS prior to ~3050 (e.g. Enforcer, Exterminator, Devastator, Mauler, etc are currently out), doesn't require split weapons (e.g. King Crab, AXM-1N Axman, CLPT-C3 Catapult, etc are currently out), doesn't need an Engine rating below 100 (e.g. UrbanMech is currently out).

In other words, there probably should be more Medium 'Mechs (the most common 'Mech class and "the workhorses of the Inner Sphere") than anything else (especially if PGI is looking to push down the average tonnages of matches, which seems to be a goal of theirs if ATD 45 is anything to go by).

#4936 John MatriX82

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,398 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 29 August 2013 - 07:11 AM

View PostStrum Wealh, on 29 August 2013 - 06:11 AM, said:

There is also no guarantee that they would be going for the same number of 'Mechs in each weight class in the first place.

Note that if PGI were to time-skip to, say 3150 and subsequently implement every 'Mech that ever existed in any and all BT-related media up to that point, there would be something like ~124 Light 'Mech chassis, ~149 Medium 'Mech chassis, ~137 Heavy 'Mech chassis, and ~112 Assault 'Mech chassis (and ~4 Superheavy 'Mech chassis & ~10 Ultralight 'Mech chassis, for the sake of completeness :)).
In terms of a L:M:H:A ratio, we'd be looking at 1.11:1.33:1.22:1.00.

Then, take into account what we seem to know of PGI's selection criteria: exists and has three named/numbered variants extant in the IS prior to ~3050 (e.g. Enforcer, Exterminator, Devastator, Mauler, etc are currently out), doesn't require split weapons (e.g. King Crab, AXM-1N Axman, CLPT-C3 Catapult, etc are currently out), doesn't need an Engine rating below 100 (e.g. UrbanMech is currently out).

In other words, there probably should be more Medium 'Mechs (the most common 'Mech class and "the workhorses of the Inner Sphere") than anything else (especially if PGI is looking to push down the average tonnages of matches, which seems to be a goal of theirs if ATD 45 is anything to go by).

Yes nobody tells us about my assumption is right or probable, but I might think that towards the idea of the achievements (whenever we'll get them, something I don't care but others might do), I'd be ditching the 10+10+10+10 idea whatsoever (or whatever it is).

Edited by John MatriX82, 29 August 2013 - 07:11 AM.

#4937 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 29 August 2013 - 08:51 AM

I think there will either be:

9 IS mechs (or even 10) for each weight class
OR
7 IS mechs (or 8) for each weight class and the 2 Sabre mechs as an "extra".

For the 9 mechs of each class, it should be;

Lights: Firestarter, UrbanMech*, Mongoose
Heavy: Lancelot, ?
Assault: Banshee, Cyclops, Zeus

Everybody will be happy.

*just put a Std 100 Engine to the Urbanmech (or change the mechlab rules) and it is good to go.

#4938 Ens

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,088 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 29 August 2013 - 11:37 AM

View PostOdanan, on 29 August 2013 - 08:51 AM, said:

Everybody will be happy.

APPROVED!
Let´s get to work!

#4939 Der BruzZzler von Wiesndoof

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationAm Grill

Posted 30 August 2013 - 01:34 AM

View PostOdanan, on 29 August 2013 - 08:51 AM, said:

Firestarter: *check*
Banshee: *check*
Lancelot: Hmm.. why not!?

I like energy boats, but personally, i'm not interested in another 60 ton mech. Unless it's a Champion. The only IS energy boat i would like to see is the 75 ton Black Knight. The HP's of all variants are the same, i know. We have discussed it a dozen times, but i don't see a problem there. We've seen "PGI made" mechs like Stalkers with ballistic HP's in the past and other things. They could easily made a Black Knight variant or a hero mech with different HP's. They brought my "Robo Chimpanzee" (Kintaro) to the game. Now gimme my "Robo Boba Fett"! ^_^

Posted Image

But i'm sure, a redesigned Lancelot by Alex could be very interesting, too!

#4940 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 03:46 AM

I would really like to see the Champion in game. I think it would be a nice addition to the game and I'd love to see what PGI's artists could do with it. I don't know if there are enough time specific variants out there though. I'm sure PGI could come up with something....

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Facebook