#16721 Sereglach

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,563 posts
  • LocationWherever things are burning.

Posted 24 June 2017 - 01:04 PM

View PostOdanan, on 24 June 2017 - 10:56 AM, said:

The "melee" pack I said above is a suggestion for funding the Solaris as I don't believe (many) people would pay (much) just to get some cosmetic Solaris items.

Which, sadly, isn't what Russ wants to do at all, let alone the fact that your pack would require melee; and as much as I'd like to see the Scarabus and Hatchetman in game with melee, it didn't sound like melee was remotely within the scope of the concept for Solaris, that Russ pitched. Also, given that collisions are now a "sometime in the future, but no time soon" item, I think melee is an MWO age away . . . if it ever happens.

I do agree, however, that I think Russ's plan is going to fail. In fact I think it's going to fail so hard that it'll blow up in Russ's face. Will it kill the game in one fell swoop if he goes through with it? No, at least probably not. However, will it have a serious impact on the player base and the health of the game? Yes, absolutely . . . people's faith in PGI, to deliver game modes and game content -aside from mechs and mech cosmetics- without an initial player funding, will horrifically diminish. Otherwise, what are they buying mech packs for?

#16722 TheArisen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 24 June 2017 - 03:24 PM

View PostSereglach, on 24 June 2017 - 01:04 PM, said:

Which, sadly, isn't what Russ wants to do at all, let alone the fact that your pack would require melee; and as much as I'd like to see the Scarabus and Hatchetman in game with melee, it didn't sound like melee was remotely within the scope of the concept for Solaris, that Russ pitched. Also, given that collisions are now a "sometime in the future, but no time soon" item, I think melee is an MWO age away . . . if it ever happens.

I do agree, however, that I think Russ's plan is going to fail. In fact I think it's going to fail so hard that it'll blow up in Russ's face. Will it kill the game in one fell swoop if he goes through with it? No, at least probably not. However, will it have a serious impact on the player base and the health of the game? Yes, absolutely . . . people's faith in PGI, to deliver game modes and game content -aside from mechs and mech cosmetics- without an initial player funding, will horrifically diminish. Otherwise, what are they buying mech packs for?

They have had some success with modes. Domination is popular and the QP maps in FP was generally well received.

#16723 Sereglach

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 03:49 PM

View PostTheArisen, on 24 June 2017 - 03:24 PM, said:

They have had some success with modes. Domination is popular and the QP maps in FP was generally well received.

Dominion is popular as a skirmish alternative, from my play experience. However, it isn't what PGI advertised of a "King of the Hill" type brawl, taking down your clock via superior presence in the objective zone. It's just a skirmish where, once everyone is dead or the last enemy or two are running away, you make sure you have someone in the circle to end the match.

Even then on a far more important aspect of this situation, if you compare what was promised to the Founders, and in the early CW announcement, and in the Launch Party CW announcements, then they haven't lived up to their promises or plans. Therefore, why should anyone be willing to put money into a "concept" of a game mode? I see that rapidly turning into "Well, it was our stance at the time" like so many other things that PGI has promised.

This isn't going to be about "will the game mode have some success?" but it's going to be "are we actually going to get what we paid for and was promised?" When you look at THAT track record, PGI is coming up at a big fat 0% success rate for anything outside of a mech pack.

Speaking of mech packs . . . lets not forget the big can of worms over the question, "What have we been buying mech packs for?!" Mech packs were supposed to fund the game, keep it alive, and keep content flowing. Now they want us to just fund the content and maybe get some sort of token mech cosmetics out of it or something and maybe get what is promised but subject to change due to their "stance at the time"? It's not a pretty situation for PGI to be in, let alone for Russ to propose at a Town Hall over the state of the game.

#16724 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 24 June 2017 - 04:15 PM

View PostSereglach, on 24 June 2017 - 01:04 PM, said:

Melee restricted only to these few mechs with hatchet is quite easy to implement. Heck, so easy that I could do it myself.

Also... your negativity is suffocating.

#16725 Sereglach

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 04:36 PM

View PostOdanan, on 24 June 2017 - 04:15 PM, said:

Melee restricted only to these few mechs with hatchet is quite easy to implement. Heck, so easy that I could do it myself.

Suffocating or not, it's sadly grounded in the reality of the situation. PGI is not running on an amazing track record here. I'm just trying to be realistic about this. Yes, I'm quite irate at the prospect of considering if Russ can't just fund Solaris with the mech packs people have already purchased, and mech packs aren't "exciting enough" moving forward, then what have we been paying for? It's a legitimate question that wasn't addressed.

Now, If melee were so easy, then why wasn't it done back with the Yen Lo Wang? That mech is supposed to have a Hatchet. It'd require implementing the weapons, balancing them to some functional MWO stats, defining how weapons are going to fire during the melee, defining when and how the impact is registered, defining if the impact is AOE in the swinging arc or only the first place hit, defining if melee weapons require a hardpoint or some specific actuators, getting the animators to create the animations within the mech rigs, working out the effects and art for the attacks, and loads of other work that's not so easy to implement. No offense, but I doubt that you're going to be able to just do it yourself and give PGI a finished product of MWO melee.

It's like saying the knockdown issue is easy. PGI said in this town hall that they've only just gotten the collision code in a good enough place that they'll consider knockdowns, but it's not going to be anytime soon due to engineering requirements, manpower, and the level of additional work involved.

#16726 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 24 June 2017 - 05:41 PM

View PostSereglach, on 24 June 2017 - 03:49 PM, said:

Dominion is popular as a skirmish alternative, from my play experience. However, it isn't what PGI advertised of a "King of the Hill" type brawl, taking down your clock via superior presence in the objective zone. It's just a skirmish where, once everyone is dead or the last enemy or two are running away, you make sure you have someone in the circle to end the match.

Even then on a far more important aspect of this situation, if you compare what was promised to the Founders, and in the early CW announcement, and in the Launch Party CW announcements, then they haven't lived up to their promises or plans. Therefore, why should anyone be willing to put money into a "concept" of a game mode? I see that rapidly turning into "Well, it was our stance at the time" like so many other things that PGI has promised.

This isn't going to be about "will the game mode have some success?" but it's going to be "are we actually going to get what we paid for and was promised?" When you look at THAT track record, PGI is coming up at a big fat 0% success rate for anything outside of a mech pack.

Speaking of mech packs . . . lets not forget the big can of worms over the question, "What have we been buying mech packs for?!" Mech packs were supposed to fund the game, keep it alive, and keep content flowing. Now they want us to just fund the content and maybe get some sort of token mech cosmetics out of it or something and maybe get what is promised but subject to change due to their "stance at the time"? It's not a pretty situation for PGI to be in, let alone for Russ to propose at a Town Hall over the state of the game.

I've had numerous domination matches where aggressive pushes denied the enemy team the circle. Just gotta take charge because on their own pugs are too timid.

For mech packs, yes they fund the game but the only thing that is promised is what's in the pack. Anything else is a separate thing.

Russ actually proposed to have a town hall specifically for a Solaris mode. How that would go is hard to say as we players can have a hard time being unified.

#16727 Sereglach

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 05:53 PM

View PostTheArisen, on 24 June 2017 - 05:41 PM, said:

For mech packs, yes they fund the game but the only thing that is promised is what's in the pack. Anything else is a separate thing.

That's the key point, the mech packs are supposed to fund the game and its development. Now Russ basically wants to bypass the main positive of funding the game's development (getting mechs out of it at a premium rate and early access) to just basically say, "Give PGI money to fund Solaris (or other gameplay content here)" which is part of what the mech packs were supposed to be funding in the first place.

See why this has a very unpleasant air about it and raises the questions I bring up? If Solaris is something that Russ has wanted to do for ages (admitted in the Town Hall), then why hasn't gameplay development just gone into making Solaris, and be funded by the mech packs people have purchased?

#16728 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 24 June 2017 - 07:12 PM

View PostSereglach, on 24 June 2017 - 04:36 PM, said:

Suffocating or not, it's sadly grounded in the reality of the situation. PGI is not running on an amazing track record here. I'm just trying to be realistic about this. Yes, I'm quite irate at the prospect of considering if Russ can't just fund Solaris with the mech packs people have already purchased, and mech packs aren't "exciting enough" moving forward, then what have we been paying for? It's a legitimate question that wasn't addressed.

They kept this multiplayer-only game alive for 5 years, while some more "capable" alternatives were shutdown in a shorter time.

Now, If melee were so easy, then why wasn't it done back with the Yen Lo Wang? That mech is supposed to have a Hatchet. It'd require implementing the weapons, balancing them to some functional MWO stats, defining how weapons are going to fire during the melee, defining when and how the impact is registered, defining if the impact is AOE in the swinging arc or only the first place hit, defining if melee weapons require a hardpoint or some specific actuators, getting the animators to create the animations within the mech rigs, working out the effects and art for the attacks, and loads of other work that's not so easy to implement. No offense, but I doubt that you're going to be able to just do it yourself and give PGI a finished product of MWO melee.

No offense taken, but I did things much harder in the past, before I studied programming and without any instruction in 3D modeling or any proper tools for animation (I was younger and had no kids, so I had all the time and disposition). Sure, I can't actually deliver them a finished product, because nobody has access to the game's source code.

And when I say it would be easy to add melee, I'm referring to hatchets (or swords) locked in the new mech's arm, with no more weapons in that arm. That's the case of the 4 mechs I proposed. Adding punching and kicking for everybody would require new animations for every single mech in the game - a huge undertaking.

PGI didn't do this yet because yes, it would consume resources, which in the past probably wouldn't pay off. But now we have hundreds of mechs of all kinds, MW4 mechs and new tech - what more could be really exciting in a mechpack than mechs with melee weapons?

BTW, wasn't the hatchet just a placeholder in the TT sheet for the Yen's unique titanium nails? From Sarna:
There are no game rules for those titanium nails. Judging from the 3027-era record sheet published for the CN9-YLW, a 'Mech hatchet—the only 'Mech melee weapon that existed in the rules when the novel introducing Yen-Lo-Wang was written—was used to represent the nails in game terms. (Notably, Yen-Lo-Wang was never ruled to have featured a 'Mech Claw.) This stand-in in turn apparently resulted in art depicting the 'Mech with a proper hatchet.

It's like saying the knockdown issue is easy. PGI said in this town hall that they've only just gotten the collision code in a good enough place that they'll consider knockdowns, but it's not going to be anytime soon due to engineering requirements, manpower, and the level of additional work involved.

Knockdown is a whole different beast. They did it once and the issue was more "is MechBowling Online a good idea?" than technical limitations.

#16729 Sereglach

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 07:42 PM

View PostOdanan, on 24 June 2017 - 07:12 PM, said:

They kept this multiplayer-only game alive for 5 years, while some more "capable" alternatives were shutdown in a shorter time.

Frankly, that's thanks to the IP, and nothing but the IP. Everyone knows if MWO fails the MechWarrior portion of the Battletech IP will be too toxic for any game maker to want to touch in the future (well . . .maybe not, but big MAYBE with the reimaging of the Classis and Harmony Gold finally getting the proverbial middle finger). That's the ONLY reason so many people have held on for so long. PGI hasn't kept the game running, the IP has kept the game running.

Most of us who are upset, angry, disappointed, and/or bitter WANT -DESPARATELY WANT, IN FACT- PGI to succeed, but their track record is horrid and many of their decisions have been terrible . . . going all the way back to their decision to use the Cryengine that they had ZERO experience with when all of their game making, to that date, had been done in Unreal . . . they got suckered into the new shiny and it went terribly.

No offense taken, but I did things much harder in the past, before I studied programming and without any instruction in 3D modeling or any proper tools for animation (I was younger and had no kids, so I had all the time and disposition). Sure, I can't actually deliver them a finished product, because nobody has access to the game's source code.

And when I say it would be easy to add melee, I'm referring to hatchets (or swords) locked in the new mech's arm, with no more weapons in that arm. That's the case of the 4 mechs I proposed. Adding punching and kicking for everybody would require new animations for every single mech in the game - a huge undertaking.

PGI didn't do this yet because yes, it would consume resources, which in the past probably wouldn't pay off. But now we have hundreds of mechs of all kinds, MW4 mechs and new tech - what more could be really exciting in a mechpack than mechs with melee weapons?

Again, I'm not saying I wouldn't want the mechs, but it's also sadly not how Russ wants to fund Solaris. He's asking if people will just throw money at him for the game mode; and little of anything else.

However, again, melee is a complicated beast -especially in Cryengine and modern gaming- because of everything involved. It's a lot harder to "fake the funk" like it used to be done with an animation of a "weapon firing" and a hit-scan impact point within a certain range. They've got a LOT to compensate for in this game to even attempt to make it viable, like I outlined above.

Let alone the fact that you can't just implement melee for a few mechs and call it a day. Melee would be a HUGE game-altering feature that would need to be done whole-hog or not at all.

BTW, wasn't the hatchet just a placeholder in the TT sheet for the Yen's unique titanium nails? From Sarna:
There are no game rules for those titanium nails. Judging from the 3027-era record sheet published for the CN9-YLW, a 'Mech hatchet—the only 'Mech melee weapon that existed in the rules when the novel introducing Yen-Lo-Wang was written—was used to represent the nails in game terms. (Notably, Yen-Lo-Wang was never ruled to have featured a 'Mech Claw.) This stand-in in turn apparently resulted in art depicting the 'Mech with a proper hatchet.

The hatchet was done for TT compensation purposes, yes, but it was still meant to -and fully capable of- melee combat with enhanced melee "weapon grade" capabilities. The hatchet just provided their stand-in rules . . . but it still cost the tonnage in order to achieve it. The Yen Lo Wang had a melee weapon, Battletech just didn't have the rules in place for anything other than a Hatchet, at the time.

PGI still had to remove the melee weapon and compensate the mech elsewhere for the removal of the melee weapon, the tonnage it took, and its capabilities.

Knockdown is a whole different beast. They did it once and the issue was more "is MechBowling Online a good idea?" than technical limitations.

Not really, it's still heavily connected to melee; and melee would be heavily impacted by collisions. What happens when the mechs collide during the melee attack (and I'm not just talking weapon impact)? What happens in the near inevitable collision of moving mechs before/after a melee attack? Where does the melee attack land if mechs are colliding into each other as the animation is performed? Do melee and collisions combine to make an exploitable form of headshots?

That's also not mentioning the technical limitations of both melee and collisions in MWO. Both are massive hurdles to attempt to overcome; and PGI is thinking they're only getting "somewhere in the distant future" to revisiting the collision side of the puzzle.

Again, just being realistic here.

#16730 Brain Cancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 10:12 PM

View PostOdanan, on 24 June 2017 - 04:15 PM, said:

If you can get hatchets working, melee in general would be trivially easy. And add some considerable options, including almost always having an option to literally kick the opponent to death. Collisions wouldn't even need to be an option, if we're just managing things like punches, kicks, and weapon swings. They're just really short-range guns, technically speaking.

#16731 Zergling

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 2,439 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 12:24 AM

View PostSereglach, on 24 June 2017 - 07:42 PM, said:

The hatchet was done for TT compensation purposes, yes, but it was still meant to -and fully capable of- melee combat with enhanced melee "weapon grade" capabilities. The hatchet just provided their stand-in rules . . . but it still cost the tonnage in order to achieve it. The Yen Lo Wang had a melee weapon, Battletech just didn't have the rules in place for anything other than a Hatchet, at the time.

Hell, when the Hatchetman was first stated, there weren't even any rules for the Hatchet yet, so it had 4 extra heat sinks instead of the hatchet.
For reals, in the original printing of Technical Readout: 3025, the Hatchetman didn't have the Hatchet!

I'm not 100% sure, but I seem to recall something being 'off' about the Yen Lo Wang when it was originally created too.

Edited by Zergling, 25 June 2017 - 12:51 AM.

#16732 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 25 June 2017 - 12:27 AM

Quadrupeds would probably be easier to implement than a PROPER melee system.

Especially considering how awful the collisions are in-game.

Edited by Juodas Varnas, 25 June 2017 - 12:27 AM.

#16733 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 26 June 2017 - 04:18 AM

I'm looking for some opinions.

What do you guys think of the Viking?
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Viking

Buildwise it looks kinda similar to the Mauler but with some differences like an ecm variant. I'm not sure of it's hitboxes though.

Cerberus, Banshee but with more ballistics?
http://www.sarna.net...rus_(BattleMech)

Bandersnatch? BK but with way more ballistics & missiles?
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Bandersnatch

Thunder, 70t Victor but with less problems?
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Thunder

Raijin, 50t Raven?
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Raijin

Bloodhound, 45t Crab with a touch of missiles?
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Bloodhound

#16734 SuperFunkTron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 910 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 26 June 2017 - 04:38 AM

View PostTheArisen, on 26 June 2017 - 04:18 AM, said:

Buildwise it looks kinda similar to the Mauler but with some differences like an ecm variant. I'm not sure of it's hitboxes though.

Raijin, 50t Raven?

The Cerberus probably carries the most potential out of all of them and I am surprised it hasn't made it in game yet. The Bandersnatch looks like something for the clanners to fear, the Thunder is a larger Enforcer, while the Raijin and Bloodhound both look decent.

I think they are all good potential additions (the viking is borderline just because the amount of verbal and emotional abuse he will receive for carrying lrms).

#16735 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,205 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 26 June 2017 - 04:56 AM

View PostSuperFunkTron, on 26 June 2017 - 04:38 AM, said:

The Cerberus probably carries the most potential out of all of them and I am surprised it hasn't made it in game yet. The Bandersnatch looks like something for the clanners to fear, the Thunder is a larger Enforcer, while the Raijin and Bloodhound both look decent.

I think they are all good potential additions (the viking is borderline just because the amount of verbal and emotional abuse he will receive for carrying lrms).

I love the Cerberus.

#16736 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 26 June 2017 - 06:43 AM

View PostTheArisen, on 26 June 2017 - 04:18 AM, said:

Raijin, 50t Raven?

I'm still more of a fan of this lot:

Wasp/Stinger
Wolf Trap
Champion
Charger (specifically the A5's and A9's)

Yes I know they are all on the lower end of their weight spectrum, but they are also in the lesser populated weight areas of their weight classes... (with the exception being the Charger, it's the same weight as the Awesome, Victor and Zeus)

#16737 SuperFunkTron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 910 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 26 June 2017 - 07:57 AM

View PostMetus regem, on 26 June 2017 - 06:43 AM, said:

Wasp/Stinger
Wolf Trap
Champion

Yes I know they are all on the lower end of their weight spectrum, but they are also in the lesser populated weight areas of their weight classes... (with the exception being the Charger, it's the same weight as the Awesome, Victor and Zeus)

As much fun as some of those mechs may provide, the champion looks like the only one that would stand a chance (a weak one at that) considering the stock builds. I can only imagine the outcry from IS players demanding more viable mechs before these make it to the table. :/

#16738 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 26 June 2017 - 08:05 AM

View PostSuperFunkTron, on 26 June 2017 - 07:57 AM, said:

As much fun as some of those mechs may provide, the champion looks like the only one that would stand a chance (a weak one at that) considering the stock builds. I can only imagine the outcry from IS players demanding more viable mechs before these make it to the table. :/

To be fair, the Wasp/Stinger are about as good as a JJ equiped 20 tonner could be although I'd bet the Locust would be better. The Champion isn't a mech you want for how good it'd be in game even if it were based on some of the heavily revised artwork. The only 60t mech that I'd advocate would be the Anvil.

#16739 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 26 June 2017 - 08:12 AM

View PostMetus regem, on 26 June 2017 - 06:43 AM, said:

Wasp/Stinger
Wolf Trap
Champion

Only the Champion seems like a dud to me because of it's mixed loadouts and only being 60t with just torso weapons.

#16740 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 26 June 2017 - 08:15 AM

View PostTheArisen, on 26 June 2017 - 08:05 AM, said:

To be fair, the Wasp/Stinger are about as good as a JJ equiped 20 tonner could be although I'd bet the Locust would be better. The Champion isn't a mech you want for how good it'd be in game even if it were based on some of the heavily revised artwork. The only 60t mech that I'd advocate would be the Anvil.

Really funny note about the Wasp and Stinger, using the 1.4 engine multipire that is used on most light mechs, they actually get a 170 series engine, I can see PGI giving them a 175 just to be nice, that makes them not much slower than a Locust while only have 2 less JJ's than a Viper... They'd be about as close to a L.A.M. as I'm likely to see in MWO any time soon....

View PostSuperFunkTron, on 26 June 2017 - 07:57 AM, said:

Actually the Charger A5 and A9 are both actually pretty good, they use a 320 series engine making them 4/6 units ranter than 5/8. Doing that let the A5 become a CQB beast with AC/20 and SRM/6's, while the A9 went the long range route with LRM/20 and JJ's. When ever people focus on the Charger they always focus on the A1 that is a very flawed mech right out of the box.

26 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 26 guests, 0 anonymous users